• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFXIV invades E3!!

BpVSgrXIAAAOyHH.jpg:large

Who the hell is that in the front? Shiva?

Noi

What's the ideal healer positioning for Ifrit EX? My group has had trouble with getting a clear on it because (bad) healers we pug with will rather stick to the left and ride side instead of picking a side and swapping one when the other one gets the debuff. The former is easier on the healers, but has without fail gotten us killed later in the fight during nail phases when the whole group gets killed by searing wind from a healer that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The swap-out method usually works better but then we fail it due to terrible DPS/people leaving before even 30 min are up.

Sophia

My two cents on Stone Vigil.

Honestly I don't mind the dungeon. It's a bit long, but with all those reasonably high level mobs it's a decent dungeon for leveling up.

Granted though, I haven't ran it terribly often. Unless I'm leveling I don't run LLDRs very often, and I don't really DF dungeons directly under normal circumstances. Even Aurum Vale isn't that bad if you go in with people you know, since at least then you know nobody is going to Whig out if things go pear shaped.

Honestly though, in the subject of AV, even that wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the level synch.

AV is essentially an end game dungeon, but because of that synch, you're never going to be able to out-gear the place. So you always need to go slow with the mobs, can never ignore mechanics, and so on and so forth.

Going into AV always reminds me of my first few undergeared runs through AK, and very few people have the patience for that it seems.

Edit: This isn't meant to be a slight against the community. It's just that, you need to go through the dungeon a bit slowly, so that means cautious small pulls. A lot of groups forget that and end up pulling far more mobs than you can handle.

Basically, level scaling in it's current implementation sucks because it takes out all the benefits of having leveled in the first place. :\

Time to get dusty.

EDIT: Why feature Odin and Behemoth?

Odin is one thing since he actually is a primal and they seemed to be going with the primal feel with the bag. Behemoth on the other hand....honestly not sure, he's not a primal and has never been a summon but at the same time they have him there over Ramuh which fits the theme and has both been a primal/summon. Not bad artwork on the bag either way, just the theme is kind of off when they clearly want it to be about primals and yet they are missing the upcoming primal on it and have a non primal in it's place. Also no Leviathan....so idk.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What's the ideal healer positioning for Ifrit EX? My group has had trouble with getting a clear on it because (bad) healers we pug with will rather stick to the left and ride side instead of picking a side and swapping one when the other one gets the debuff. The former is easier on the healers, but has without fail gotten us killed later in the fight during nail phases when the whole group gets killed by searing wind from a healer that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The swap-out method usually works better but then we fail it due to terrible DPS/people leaving before even 30 min are up.

Usually standing on the edge on the left as far as possible while still in the casting range is optimal, then switching between getting debuffs (make sure healers focus target each other; the last pulse happens at 5 seconds). Depending on dps output (heavily affected by echo, naturally), during nails a healer might have to go to the right instead in order to give room for melee dps to kill the nails on the left (not a problem when all dps are ranged though). I mean, it's healers' job to keep track of this.

Noi

Usually standing on the edge on the left as far as possible while still in the casting range is optimal, then switching between getting debuffs (make sure healers focus target each other; the last pulse happens at 5 seconds). Depending on dps output (heavily affected by echo, naturally), during nails a healer might have to go to the right instead in order to give room for melee dps to kill the nails on the left (not a problem when all dps are ranged though). I mean, it's healers' job to keep track of this.

Right, all of that I knew. What I mean is, a lot of healers we run into will opt to pick a side (left or right) of the circle and then never move from that spot, instead of just going "as left as possible" and swapping in/out with whoever has Searing Wind on. I was wondering if that other strat is as dumb as tanking two Dreads in T4 or if there's something to it that I'm not seeing, since every attempt with it has led to DPS dying during nails and all of us failing as a result.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Right, all of that I knew. What I mean is, a lot of healers we run into will opt to pick a side (left or right) of the circle and then never move from that spot, instead of just going "as left as possible" and swapping in/out with whoever has Searing Wind on. I was wondering if that other strat is as dumb as tanking two Dreads in T4 or if there's something to it that I'm not seeing, since every attempt with it has led to DPS dying during nails and all of us failing as a result.
Tell healers to stop being dumb and move accordingly. Even if they want to stick to two sides (which is pretty inefficient because the healer without the buff should be able to AOE heal the party when need be), during the nails it's healers' job to move out of the way. Like, even if they're on the right side and people go killing nails clockwise, that healer should go down along the edge so that dps have space for it, not stand around (this will also render the debuffed healer unable to heal the tank which is why it's inefficient). Alternatively, dps could change between clockwise/counterclockwise strategy, but they shouldn't have to, because it requires more coordination from the whole team rather than for healers to just pay modicum of attention.

theta11

Aw!!! Poor Jimmy sucks at the game but still wants to see the content. Whatever should we do?? After all he paid his money didn't he?

(Not a dig at you by the way)

If Little Jimmy stops playing you are the one to suffer. This line of thinking is extremely immature. Square needs money to design content. It isn't free. The majority of a MMO player base doesn't historically experience the end game content. When I am playing a MMO I want as much people playing as possible. That is how you get the highest quality content.

Taruranto

Kinda late about the end-game talk, but personally, one of my biggest pet-peeve is that end-game is a 8 man party. And because of lockouts, friends can't play together and FC become useless. Statics constantly fall apart because someone quits the game/skips few nights/etc. And of course, because there are so many 1 hit=kill mechanics it means you'll need a static to clear anything or be very lucky.

Say whatever you want about FFXI end-game, but at least it allowed as many people as you wanted to participate in it. You have 12, 24, 32 players that night? Everything is fine! Dynamis, Sky, Sea, there was no limit. Even if some people were missing that night you could do content and clear it.

Sophia

Kinda late about the end-game talk, but personally, one of my biggest pet-peeve is that end-game is a 8 man party. And because of lockouts, friends can't play together and FC become useless. Statics constantly fall apart because someone quits the game/skips few nights/etc. And of course, because there are so many 1 hit=kill mechanics it means you'll need a static to clear anything or be very lucky.

Say whatever you want about FFXI end-game, but at least it allowed as many people as you wanted to participate in it. You have 12, 24, 32 players that night? Everything is fine! Dynamis, Sky, Sea, there was no limit. Even if some people were missing that night you could do content and clear it.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. None of my static groups have stayed very consistent, and we can't easily borrow members from other statics in the group due to the lockout. For a guild like mine, which was basically hardcore close friends mixed in with a few casual players we picked up, having something like Dynamis not having player limits would have been much better.

To say the least, if the system was more flexible we'd have 30 or so people running endgame content, instead of eight. :p

Tabris

There was limits to FF11. You could only have 18 in an alliance fighting the mob. On very large fights, or content like Dynamis, Einherjar, etc, you could have multiple alliances. So it was common for people to sit out a fight and then be pulled in for the next one in larger LS'.

I still agree with your point. They just need to make a lot more content like CT, and ensure you can form your own alliances of 24 players. It sounds like they are adding it, the issue is it's just for 1 piece of content.

CT should have an normal and hard mode. Easy mode still drops i100 gear, but Hard mode can also drop the unidentified tombstone / sands / oils. Make the content hard, not by mechanics, but by damage and HP. So only people geared enough from things like CT 2.0 Normal Mode and Second Coil can take on.

WolvenOne

Basically, level scaling in it's current implementation sucks because it takes out all the benefits of having leveled in the first place. :\

Level scaling makes sense for story dungeons, since, they're not really meant to be farmed in the same way endgame dungeons are. However, scaling a dungeon that's essentially an endgame dungeon doesn't make sense at all. The mobs have about as much HP and damage as WP, AK, etc, but you have to tackle them when you're even weaker.

I mean, I wouldn't want to tank Sastasha or any of the really early dungeons without scaling, cause new players won't learn anything at all if I can just plow through the dungeon alone, but eventually it reaches a point where it stops making sense, and that point is AV.

They should just put the max level at 50 and officially make it an endgame dungeon. Pretty darn certain it'd be just as easy as WP for a fully geared group.

Edit: Also, yes I do agree that there should be harder versions of endgame dungeons, raids, etc, even if the only difference is a shift in the enemy stats. That'd be a cheap way to generate more content, but, whatever works.

Qvoth

FFXIV invades E3!!

BpVSgrXIAAAOyHH.jpg:large

Who the hell is that in the front? Shiva?

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
is 2.3 is ramuh, then shiva is 2.4?

1 advice i can give to the blms out there, get to 244 piety (this might mean lowering your 30 bonus int for some piety points)
the extra cast of fire 100% will make a difference

WolvenOne

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. None of my static groups have stayed very consistent, and we can't easily borrow members from other statics in the group due to the lockout. For a guild like mine, which was basically hardcore close friends mixed in with a few casual players we picked up, having something like Dynamis not having player limits would have been much better.

To say the least, if the system was more flexible we'd have 30 or so people running endgame content, instead of eight. :p

I've touched on this before, but, yeah I more or less agree. It is a way to artificially increase the lifespan of current content, (IE Coil,) so I can see why they'd do it, but, I still think there are better ways to do it.

I'd rather they just had a Lot lockout. IE: You can re-run turns if you'd like, but you can only roll for something once per turn. That'd, slightly decrease the lifespan of the content, facilitating more people getting through more quickly, but not dramatically so. Besides, locking things out like they have been is kinda a clumsy way to draw things out.

Sophia

I've touched on this before, but, yeah I more or less agree. It is a way to artificially increase the lifespan of current content, (IE Coil,) so I can see why they'd do it, but, I still think there are better ways to do it.

I'd rather they just had a Lot lockout. IE: You can re-run turns if you'd like, but you can only roll for something once per turn. That'd, slightly decrease the lifespan of the content, facilitating more people getting through more quickly, but not dramatically so. Besides, locking things out like they have been is kinda a clumsy way to draw things out.

Yeah a loot lockout would be the perfect compromise. Free Companies could take in who they please, those who run pug groups aren't penalized, more socialization all around, etc.

I really dislike the current lockout system. It just causes cliques to form in groups and exclude those who aren't good enough. We lost an entire group in our guild because of this. :\

Ooh nice, time to read!

Ken

Standing poses have been increased from two to four.
Chair sitting poses have been increased from one to two.
A new floor sitting pose has been added.

gamechanger

so looks like you can infuse secondary stats of your choice into the sphere scroll and those replace the secondaries on animus

WolvenOne

at what cost tho

hehe

You'll need to get there Sphere Grid, and put Materia into it, and that'll upgrade your weapon to a Novus.

You can apply additional Sphere Grids whenever you want to change secondary stats.

No word on what you'll need to do to get Sphere Grids, or how Alexandrite figures into it.

Edit: Also, you can now lot on Baby Opo Opo's!

Those are some nice quality of life things done. So excited to use a fantasia but it's a shame they didn't increase myth drop rate for expert DR

Qvoth

Baby opoopo now can be rolled!
Fledgling apkallu minion!!

50+ brayflox hm runs and still have not seen even 1 opoopo...

edit: random pose cycling!!!! :O

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What? Can no longer escape battle by Teleport? Why you hate us Yoshida.

Sightseeing sounds fun but is just one~time attraction so ehhhhh

Choosing folder for screenshots is #gamechanger.

Myth drop increases are laughable all around.

Nice that they fiixed no penalty for leaving an instance before the timer. No more premature leaver assholes I hope!

Somewhat unnerving that Novus uses materia... again. It‘s like they want that market to be prohibitive.

CLBridges

I'm just on my 2nd book for Artemis, time to get to work once maintenance is over. Gotta get to Novus asap now! So 150 myth for a CT run huh SE? I might run it a couple times when system comes back up. Also, the sight-seeing log seems kinda interesting, something fun to do in between combat.

When I am playing a MMO I want as much people playing as possible. That is how you get the highest quality content.

Appealing to as many people as possible is usually never the way to make a quality product of any kind. It is a way to make an average product. Yes, it makes more money as well, but what is the point when that more money to the person you are replying to if it just goes to making more average content/products?

I think they said they're adding some super high end boss that'll just provide titles. I assume that's their take on Algalon although just a title is kind of blah. Use those artists and make some crazy mount.

I think that stuff is them realizing they have a problem with the way they are cycling though their designed content. That nerfing things months after it comes out, or how the only reason to things is to get the current highest "tier" of gear that you can get makes it so designed fights have a shorter lifespan then they should. If these title bosses dropped loot it would be outdated the next time they put out the next tier of gear. With both gear drops and mounts you would also have people that feel they are
entitled
to those items, and that everything should be achievable by everyone. We will see where their middle ground of making something super hard, not nerfing it, and only having a title as a reward gets them. People that do not actually enjoy doing those kind of fights may not feel like they need to do them, just to get gear that they don't even need for anything other then those kind of fights.

This sounds awesome to be honest. To be honest there are quite a few people I would love to work with in raids but since those are 8 man only, it just isn't possible.

Kenai

Lots of little improvements, from clicking on a crystal on a map to teleport to auto party sorting and cutscene skipping. Nice, nice.

Battle materia prices just might shoot up in a horrific fashion depending on what is needed for those Novus upgrades. We shall see..I feel totally redeemed working on it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom