• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

Do they have to be whole numbers? There's nothing preventing some of the stat increases from the last materia you meld be lost.

That's true. I'm curious if somebody that ends up going PIE+DET on WHM novus ends up requiring less alexandrites and materia... or a BLM going Spell Speed +44 and Critical Hit Rate +31 instead of Spell Speed +44 and Determination +31. Would the amount of alexandrites/materias be different for either BLM scenario?

BLCKATK

Has anybody done an Mysterious Map with more than 1 Animus wielder in the party? Any chance that could give Alexandrite to multiple people? That'd be a great way to get people together to work on their Novus.

Jayhawk

Has anybody done an Mysterious Map with more than 1 Animus wielder in the party? Any chance that could give Alexandrite to multiple people? That'd be a great way to get people together to work on their Novus.

Reddit and BG posters have confirmed that only the map user gets the alexandrite.

Somebody mentioned that you don't lose the alexandrite on failure, only the materia.

I was trying to use my linear algebra skills to figure out if the amount of stat increase on a materia meant anything, but I couldn't get whole numbers.

Savage Aim (Crit) gives out 2, 4, 6, 9 for each tier. Novus cap is 44.
Savage Might (Det) gives out 1, 3, 4, 6 for each tier. Novus cap is 31.
Piety gives out 1, 2, 3, 6 for each tier. Novus cap is 23.
Plugging these values into two matrices gave me -0.667 tier 1s needed, 4.333 tier 2s needed, 3.667 tier 3s needed, and 0.667 tier 4s needed. :(

for savage aim -> [2 4 6 9]*[x; y; z; l] = 44. Have 4 unknowns (# of Materia of each value) so you need 4 equations. That or just plot this (2x + 4y + 6z + 9l = 44) and find the minimum for z and l (Det 3 and Det 4). Taking the derivative will help out as well.

So for 3 materia types (crit, det, peity) you need 12 variables and 12 equations, otherwise you won't be able to get a definite solution with linear algebra lol

Ken

From BG Animus Thread:

Interesting. So it seems like every stat has an infusion cap that might be independent to the other stats you place on it, so with some serious number crunching players might be able to get weapons with higher player derived stat weights than current i110s. Of course that's a lot of work for a practical difference of less than 1% most likely.

Jayhawk

for savage aim -> [2 4 6 9]*[x; y; z; l] = 44. Have 4 unknowns (# of Materia of each value) so you need 4 equations. That or just plot this (2x + 4y + 6z + 9l = 44) and find the minimum for z and l (Det 3 and Det 4). Taking the derivative will help out as well.

So for 3 materia types (crit, det, peity) you need 12 variables and 12 equations, otherwise you won't be able to get a definite solution with linear algebra lol

I was going under the assumption that it was 4 unknowns (4 tiers of materia, each materia type progressed similarly in number needed per tier). Somebody confirmed that the stat on the materia doesn't make a difference though.

J-Rod

Do you have to finish all 9 animus books before you can start the novus quest line? Would like to be able to start farming alexandrite with that daily roulette quest if possible.

Ken

Do you have to finish all 9 animus books before you can start the novus quest line? Would like to be able to start farming alexandrite with that daily roulette quest if possible.

pretty sure you need an animus equipped to farm the fates for alexandrites, much like you needed a zenith to farm for atma so lol

Jayhawk

You need to have an animus equipped to start the quest for novus.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So a BG poster Ratatapa slotted in their third materia, it was at 88% success

Also for every materia you slot in, doesn't give you the exact amount

So if you slotted in say HE I (+2 Acc), it still counts it as 1 infusion, doesn't go +2 into the infusion column
So yeah, I wonder how the other Tiers will carry in the matter
I'm guessing +1 for Materia I, then +2 for II, +3 for III, and +4 for IV
Get to the 75 cap for both secondary stats that are split

Rough guess would be like 10 Materia I's, 7 II's, 4 III's, 2 IV's for 1st secondary stat
The % would work slowly for I's but crazy drop for the IV's
It might even reset during changing on the tiers so you start at 100% again for the next tier or you can keep feeding it I's but you'll need more alexanderites for it

I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics behind this upgrade

Interesting. So it seems like every stat has an infusion cap that might be independent to the other stats you place on it, so with some serious number crunching players might be able to get weapons with higher player derived stat weights than current i110s. Of course that's a lot of work for a practical difference of less than 1% most likely.

Correct

The problem I have is if you somehow get stats on your Novus which look good during this patch, but are worthless in 2.4 or 2.6, then what?

Aeana

ff14-ohok.png

I don't think I can even hold that many.

Aeana

Yeah, I know. I already got the scroll and got my first alexandrite.

The enemy I got for my map was a total jerk, by the way. It was a morbol that does a bind before bad breath, so you can't get out of it.

GraveRobberX

The enemy I got for my map was a total jerk, by the way. It was a morbol that does a bind before bad breath, so you can't get out of it.

Now you know why people were failing their daily Alex farm =D

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

You could if you were a DRG!

WolvenOne

Correct

The problem I have is if you somehow get stats on your Novus which look good during this patch, but are worthless in 2.4 or 2.6, then what?

Yep.

Unless players absolutely flood the market with Materia, SE is going to have to figure out a way to grease the rate Materia enters into the market, in order to make respecing at all practical. They can grease Alexandrite's any number of ways, practically make them rain from the sky, (and I suspect they will,) but unless Spirit Bonding explodes in terms of popularity, Materia is going to be a huge bottleneck.

Granted, there are a few ways they can grease Materia as well, if they decided to take advantage of them. Better Spirit Binding potions for example, or even nominally reducing the RNG factor would do it.

zewone

Yep.

Unless players absolutely flood the market with Materia, SE is going to have to figure out a way to grease the rate Materia enters into the market, in order to make respecing at all practical. They can grease Alexandrite's any number of ways, practically make them rain from the sky, (and I suspect they will,) but unless Spirit Bonding explodes in terms of popularity, Materia is going to be a huge bottleneck.

Granted, there are a few ways they can grease Materia as well, if they decided to take advantage of them. Better Spirit Binding potions for example, or even nominally reducing the RNG factor would do it.
Can easily increase the rate and level of Materia your retainer brings back.

Dunan

How is spiritbonding calculated? Do you bond more the more damage you take while fighting? As a ranged DPS I seem to bond, and have my equipment wear out, even when taking no damage whatsoever. The latter in particular feels somehow wrong.

GraveRobberX

is this sightseeing log bugged or is there no general pattern to these?

Weather and Time play a huge factor into this

Read some info, holy hell at some fucking requirements

One is inside a building and you have to wait for the Weather to change... WTF?

Also Pro-Tip keep checking that weather icon on your minimap, it might say Clear weather needed and the icon will say Fair, so yeah, good luck camping out waiting for the right time to see the "Vista"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
How is spiritbonding calculated? Do you bond more the more damage you take while fighting? As a ranged DPS I seem to bond, and have my equipment wear out, even when taking no damage whatsoever. The latter in particular feels somehow wrong.

The amount of EXP you would have gained from killing the mob.

There are restrictions to spirit-bonding i70+ items. (they only bond past 1% in coil)

GraveRobberX

I think it's XP and Mob level based

I remember doing AK in SB gear it took my set up 25% per AK run, this is way back like November 2013

Right now 2 best spots are Water Sprites in Uruth's Gift in South Shroud or Natalan in Coerthas
If solo, Water Sprites in Uruths, if party and too many people clogging sprites, then Natalan is ridiculous

If you pop out your choco your SB% will go down
Most override this with 4 player with 4 chocos in a party, this way you can create mass genocide, level choco's, and still SB real quickly
If you solo SB and Choco, it will take at least awhile to get a full set SB'ed

iammeiam

Weather and Time play a huge factor into this

Read some info, holy hell at some fucking requirements

One is inside a building and you have to wait for the Weather to change... WTF?

Also Pro-Tip keep checking that weather icon on your minimap, it might say Clear weather needed and the icon will say Fair, so yeah, good luck camping out waiting for the right time to see the "Vista"

One should require Odin weather. Then when he spawns half the zone will beeline to Odin, and the other half will bolt to some random hill.

GraveRobberX

One should require Odin weather. Then when he spawns half the zone will beeline to Odin, and the other half will bolt to some random hill.

Then we will finally see the Zone Cap enforced, no one can enter "_________" Shroud, too many players in here

Mupod

Oh cool, gear preview lets me finally see what my bear chestpiece will look like

j22WPBWFoPGE6.jpg

gonna be a while though...still around 14k exp to go

Alex

From what I've heard, Novus, Animus, and even Atma, don't really compare with some of the worse grinds from XI. Granted, that's second-hand info and all.

Atma wouldn't have been bad, they just needed to shift around it's drop-rate a bit, so not getting an Atma after an hour was, pretty unlucky.

Animus similarly wouldn't have been bad at all, if the books had only cost 750-800 Tomes, instead of 1500. Heck, even if they had made the books longer, it still wouldn't have been bad.

Novus, doesn't look bad. I think that's because they realize that a lot of players are probably going to want to re-spec their weapons at least once. Granted this is only an initial impression.

The relic grind is quite bad, but it's bad by modern day standards.

XI is straight up Everquest style and if you want agony and timesinks nothing can compete that that splinter of MMO.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Oh cool, gear preview lets me finally see what my bear chestpiece will look like

gonna be a while though...still around 14k exp to go
I like this armor for more after being able to see what the back of it looks like.

Currently playing a scholar though and I feel like we get fucked in terms of gear. Fuckin goose hat or whatever.

OH MY GOD!!!

I just CAN'T belive my bad luck!!!

Almost Three times I use the duty findet to search for a party and i wait for more than 30 mind and when I just go to the bathroom for a min or to drink water it finds me a party and the time passes and it get canceled and i start to wait all over again :/

Ken

From what I've heard, Novus, Animus, and even Atma, don't really compare with some of the worse grinds from XI. Granted, that's second-hand info and all.

Atma wouldn't have been bad, they just needed to shift around it's drop-rate a bit, so not getting an Atma after an hour was, pretty unlucky.

Animus similarly wouldn't have been bad at all, if the books had only cost 750-800 Tomes, instead of 1500. Heck, even if they had made the books longer, it still wouldn't have been bad.

Novus, doesn't look bad. I think that's because they realize that a lot of players are probably going to want to re-spec their weapons at least once. Granted this is only an initial impression.

no dude, they're all bad

WolvenOne

no dude, they're all bad

No U! XD

Seriously though, with no materia shortage, I could clear through this in merely a week. The only real hurdle is going to be procuring materia in a somewhat timely manner, without breaking the bank. If I'm willing to break the bank, even that's not going to be a big issue.

I mean, heck, I have a large chunk of the materia I'm going to need already, just from unconverted gear I had on store on my retainers.

GraveRobberX

No U! XD

Seriously though, with no materia shortage, I could clear through this in merely a week. The only real hurdle is going to be procuring materia in a somewhat timely manner, without breaking the bank. If I'm willing to break the bank, even that's not going to be a big issue.

I mean, heck, I have a large chunk of the materia I'm going to need already, just from unconverted gear I had on store on my retainers.

You got one week to prove me wrong
Get that Novus in week from right now, I'll give you 5,000,000 gil

You got til 6/12/2014 6:00PM EST

If you can't, you owe me half 2.5mil gil, up for it?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So a BG poster Ratatapa slotted in their third materia, it was at 88% success

Also for every materia you slot in, doesn't give you the exact amount

So if you slotted in say HE I (+2 Acc), it still counts it as 1 infusion, doesn't go +2 into the infusion column
So yeah, I wonder how the other Tiers will carry in the matter
I'm guessing +1 for Materia I, then +2 for II, +3 for III, and +4 for IV
Get to the 75 cap for both secondary stats that are split

Rough guess would be like 10 Materia I's, 7 II's, 4 III's, 2 IV's for 1st secondary stat
The % would work slowly for I's but crazy drop for the IV's
It might even reset during changing on the tiers so you start at 100% again for the next tier or you can keep feeding it I's but you'll need more alexanderites for it

I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics behind this upgrade

Correct

Then you wait for ultra allagan or whatever the next tier is!

Dunan

The amount of EXP you would have gained from killing the mob.

I think it's XP and Mob level based

I remember doing AK in SB gear it took my set up 25% per AK run, this is way back like November 2013

Right now 2 best spots are Water Sprites in Uruth's Gift in South Shroud or Natalan in Coerthas
If solo, Water Sprites in Uruths, if party and too many people clogging sprites, then Natalan is ridiculous

If you pop out your choco your SB% will go down
Most override this with 4 player with 4 chocos in a party, this way you can create mass genocide, level choco's, and still SB real quickly
If you solo SB and Choco, it will take at least awhile to get a full set SB'ed

Excellent. Good to know.

Ken

No U! XD

aw yes

WolvenOne

That's if I have no materia shortage, and if I treated Novus like I treated the Animus grind. During the Animus grind I did almost nothing aside from grinding myth and doing books. Automatically I couldn't do it like that now, since I'm now spending 2 to 3 nights of the week in Second Coil.

I think I can manage two weeks, or at least something along that time frame, but, that depends mostly on my estimates of the needed materials being more or less correct.

Basically, not gonna bet, even with pretend money.

OH MY GOD!!!

I just CAN'T belive my bad luck!!!

Almost Three times I use the duty findet to search for a party and i wait for more than 30 mind and when I just go to the bathroom for a min or to drink water it finds me a party and the time passes and it get canceled and i start to wait all over again :/

Get a Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom