• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

I'm waiting for a reveal that meld success percentages regenerate over time, so if you try to blitz through the upgrade you'll waste a shitload of materia, but taking the slow-and-steady approach gives you a much higher success rate.

Mostly because the idea of a constantly-decreasing success rate is awful.

WolvenOne

I'm waiting for a reveal that meld success percentages regenerate over time, so if you try to blitz through the upgrade you'll waste a shitload of materia, but taking the slow-and-steady approach gives you a much higher success rate.

Mostly because the idea of a constantly-decreasing success rate is awful.

It likely resets when you jump through tiers. So they're really just forcing you to jump to the higher grade materia, which, are going to fill the stat bonuses more quickly anyway.

Panda Rin

Weather and Time play a huge factor into this

Read some info, holy hell at some fucking requirements

One is inside a building and you have to wait for the Weather to change... WTF?

Also Pro-Tip keep checking that weather icon on your minimap, it might say Clear weather needed and the icon will say Fair, so yeah, good luck camping out waiting for the right time to see the "Vista"

turns out for mine I had to be in a VERY specific spot to trigger the vista notification. hope they fix that..

It likely resets when you jump through tiers. So they're really just forcing you to jump to the higher grade materia, which, are going to fill the stat bonuses more quickly anyway.

But then you can't jump through the next tier too quickly, because if you get to 4 and your success rate is low, you'd be in a world of hurt.

I don't think it'll work that way. I think the tier of materia you need to use is predetermined. But man a lot of people are gonna flip if they need like 10 tier IV materia for those last points.

WolvenOne

Going back to my original statement, ie, that without Materia being an issue, you could go through this in a week.

That wasn't a boast. You would need about, three Alexandrites a day, if my estimates are correct. You get one from doing an expert duty roulette, which takes maybe a half hour. That leaves two to farm per day via either Fates or a map. I don't know the drop rate yet, but even if they had the same drop rate as Atma's I think I could manage that, if I wasn't doing anything else.

The only question mark is, how long it'd take to unlock higher tier melds. The failure rate wouldn't factor in this because, again, this is assuming no gil or materia limitations.

This statement was meant to demonstrate that the amount of, "work," involved in this, could very easily translate into less work overall than the Animus books. RNG may not have played a role in that, but, there's not exactly a lot you can do to compensate for needing 1500 Myth tomes per book.

With Novus at least, you can buy your way past varying degrees of the work, if you want it enough, and have the resources.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Going back to my original statement, ie, that without Materia being an issue, you could go through this in a week.

That wasn't a boast. You would need about, three Alexandrites a day, if my estimates are correct. You get one from doing an expert duty roulette, which takes maybe a half hour. That leaves two to farm per day via either Fates or a map. I don't know the drop rate yet, but even if they had the same drop rate as Atma's I think I could manage that, if I wasn't doing anything else.

The only question mark is, how long it'd take to unlock higher tier melds. The failure rate wouldn't factor in this because, again, this is assuming no gil or materia limitations.

This statement was meant to demonstrate that the amount of, "work," involved in this, could very easily translate into less work overall than the Animus books. RNG may not have played a role in that, but, there's not exactly a lot you can do to compensate for needing 1500 Myth tomes per book.

With Novus at least, you can buy your way past varying degrees of the work, if you want it enough, and have the resources.

Perhaps but ultimately the alternative is probably a lot less time-consuming should you add all the time spent in coil up.

WolvenOne

Perhaps but ultimately the alternative is probably a lot less time-consuming should you add all the time spent in coil up.

Yes, but Kagari, your group has spent far more time in Coil than my own, and is a lot closer to reaching it's respective ultimate goal. For your static, it doesn't make sense.

For me, given my specific circumstances, and given that I enjoy grinds like this, it makes sense.

On a related note, assuming I have the resources for it, I plan to re-spec my Zodiac to be a straight up DPS weapon. The High Allagan weapon is, bonus stat wise, more a standard tanking axe. There'll be situations where one type of weapon makes more sense, so, if I can give myself the option, I might as well.

Ken

ivIUiIijt3eHv.png

:>

I don't know if this was answered before but can O create my own title? And if I can how? And If i can't then how to get new ones?!

Sorry if it have been answered.

WolvenOne

I don't know if this was answered before but can O create my own title? And if I can how? And If i can't then how to get new ones?!

Pretty sure that's a no. Titles are essentially awarded for clearing out achievements. So if you could make your own, it'd essentially be easy as heck to spoof the appearance of an achievement.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Through Achievements

When you complete certain objectives in the achievements you get titles
If you get your Relic, get a craft to 50, do something crazy like get all 3 Gathering Classes to 50 *Provider of the Realm* title is bestowed upon ye

Teknoman

Im happy about the new poses/random idle Sonic style poses for some reason.

Really glad to see:
Players can now queue for the following after forming a party:
Duty Roulette: Expert
Duty Roulette: High Level

Going to bug the hell out of you guys lol.

draw4wild

How is spiritbonding calculated? Do you bond more the more damage you take while fighting? As a ranged DPS I seem to bond, and have my equipment wear out, even when taking no damage whatsoever. The latter in particular feels somehow wrong.
Just an FYI, I wore a full set of Zircon accessories HQ for a main story roulette (got CM) and they all jumped up 25% Now I need to learn how to craft again, I haven't touched my 50 GSM since 1.0, is there a guide for that?

Tabris

On a related note, assuming I have the resources for it, I plan to re-spec my Zodiac to be a straight up DPS weapon. The High Allagan weapon is, bonus stat wise, more a standard tanking axe. There'll be situations where one type of weapon makes more sense, so, if I can give myself the option, I might as well.

This I do not get. Tanks don't do that much damage. Both me and you averaged the same amount on our T6 clear last night - 110 dps. You need Parry on your axe. Only stat that matters after acc capped (which you should put on your axe instead of skill speed).

I get if you want a DPS axe for earlier content or solo content, but you will be limiting yourself without that +40ish parry, and it will be quite a long time until we clear Turn9 content.

Just curious how other BLM are gonna build their novus. I'm still working on animus so I just wanna what I should be looking to do when I get there

dcye

This I do not get. Tanks don't do that much damage. Both me and you averaged the same amount on our T6 clear last night - 110 dps. You need Parry on your axe. Only stat that matters after acc capped (which you should put on your axe instead of skill speed).

I get if you want a DPS axe for earlier content or solo content, but you will be limiting yourself without that +40ish parry, and it will be quite a long time until we clear Turn9 content.

Man, this post.

MechaX

Man, I love having to spend 2 hours waiting for Atma Book fates that no one really bothers to do, has incredibly short timers, and no one is really around to help with.

God, I don't think I have ever been as frustrated with this game up to this point.

WolvenOne

If I have a High Allagan Axe, that's an ilvl115 weapon with ACC and Parry. Assuming the Zodiac's also an ilvl115 item, I wouldn't need two weapons with identical stats. I might as well spec one out to be a straight up DPS weapon in that case.

On fights where total party DPS output mattered most, I'd go for the Zodiac. On fights where I'm going to take massive amounts of damage, I'd go for the straight up Tank Axe. It'd just afford me a degree of flexibility is all.

Edit: The Novus, I plan to spec out as a standard ACC/PARRY Tank weapon. I'm just talking about re-speccing it for the next iteration, and I'm assuming we'll have a shot at the High Allagan weapons before I bother with this.

Ken

If I have a High Allagan Axe, that's an ilvl115 weapon with ACC and Parry. Assuming the Zodiac's also an ilvl115 item, I wouldn't need two weapons with identical stats. I might as well spec one out to be a straight up DPS weapon in that case.

On fights where total party DPS output mattered most, I'd go for the Zodiac. On fights where I'm going to take massive amounts of damage, I'd go for the straight up Tank Axe. It'd just afford me a degree of flexibility is all.

novus is i110, unless you mean the next weapon in the zodiac path, but if we're going that far you might as well include Super Allagan Axe 4 Arcade Edition into your plans.

i also have doubts that whatever DPS secondary stats you load up your zodiac with will be better than the i115 WD and STR gain on the HAA.

Ken

Edit: The Novus, I plan to spec out as a standard ACC/PARRY Tank weapon. I'm just talking about re-speccing it for the next iteration, and I'm assuming we'll have a shot at the High Allagan weapons before I bother with this.

i think you're overthinking the value of secondary stats

but hey if you really want to do a second scroll go for it.

WolvenOne

novus is i110, unless you mean the next weapon in the zodiac path, but if we're going that far you might as well include Super Allagan Axe 4 Arcade Edition into your plans.

i also have doubts that whatever DPS secondary stats you load up your zodiac with will be better than the i115 WD and STR gain on the HAA.

I'm talking about the Zodiac, not the Novus. Last I heard, the Zodiac was supposed to be ilvl115, and was targeted for a 2.3 or 2.35 unveiling.

Indeed you cannot make the Novus better than an ilvl115 weapon, merely by swapping out secondary stats. I've confirmed this by comparing the damage output of the Wave Axe and the Bravura Animus, and the two DPS about the same, despite the fact that that the Wave Axe is loaded with Crit and Determination.

If I get the High Allagan Battleaxe, the Novus is going to be obsolete, regardless of what I do with it. The Zodiac on the other hand, is going to be a whole other animal.

WolvenOne

Allagan is probably always going to be better than the relic.

How do you figure? If the Zodiac and High Allagan weapons are both 115 weapons, with identical primary stats, then the better weapon is going to be whatever weapon has the better secondary stats.

For pure tanking, the High Allagan is probably the best I can ask for. But that doesn't mean I can't craft a second axe for different purpose. (Lower level content, DPS Tanking, PVP, etc.)

Ken

How do you figure? If the Zodiac and High Allagan weapons are both 115 weapons, with identical primary stats, then the better weapon is going to be whatever weapon has the better secondary stats.

For pure tanking, the High Allagan is probably the best I can ask for. But that doesn't mean I can't craft a second axe for different purpose. (Lower level content, DPS Tanking, PVP, etc.)

they've pretty much made it a point of always making the weapon from the current end game encounter be the best you can get at the time for the purpose of achievement recognition. zodiac will most likely be no different as I expect it to release alongside or after the next Coil which is why this way of thinking

If I get the High Allagan Battleaxe, the Novus is going to be obsolete, regardless of what I do with it. The Zodiac on the other hand, is going to be a whole other animal.

is just setting up for disappointment.

Thank goodness for those darn Fantasias, I was finally able to get rid of that mixed eye color look that was cool at first but then just looked really bad (Plus it got old with Drama and Kagari making fun of me).

Since myth markets have kinda died down, I guess I should just save the myth for a book now.

Isaccard

Thank goodness for those darn Fantasias, I was finally able to get rid of that mixed eye color look that was cool at first but then just looked really bad (Plus it got old with Drama and Kagari making fun of me).

Since myth markets have kinda died down, I guess I should just save the myth for a book now.

It was never cool.

WolvenOne

they've pretty much made it a point of always making the weapon from the current end game encounter be the best you can get at the time for the purpose of achievement recognition. zodiac will most likely be no different as I expect it to release alongside or after the next Coil which is why this way of thinking

I wouldn't cite precedent for a game that's this young, particularly when first coil weapons were only ilvl90 initially.

Square stated quite clearly that the Relic weapons would eventually be the best weapons available (Presumably before the next expansion hit). I rather doubt they're lying about that. XD

WolvenOne

You were saying something about mixed eye colors?

BadRNG

I wouldn't cite precedent for a game that's this young, particularly when first coil weapons were only ilvl90 initially.
This is exactly why the precedent exists. They boosted allagan to i95 specifically because they thought the achievement of clearing coil deserved to be better than just getting a relic + 1.

dcye

Square stated quite clearly that the Relic weapons would eventually be the best weapons available (Presumably before the next expansion hit). I rather doubt they're lying about that. XD

Despite what theyve said I very much doubt they will make Zodiac weapons better than the endgame weapon from the final boss of the raid content. The outcry will be outrageous and it will absolutely kill itemisation (which already sucks in this game). I'll say what I often think when I read your posts, you really need to temper your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom