• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

This one thing that bothers me about this game. I really don't know what effect the stats have on the game. There is an explanation obviously in the game but I struggle to see the real application of it in the game. When choosing between spell speed or determination, for example, I really don't have a clue which to go for. It's all too nebulous. I can't see the increased damage numbers from det or the increased cast time from spell speed. So I really don't feel like I can make informed decisions.

it takes a lot of points before you start seeing or feeling noticeable effects of +/- points, especiallyf or something like SS; i'm sure you could see a change if you did hardcore maths and took in a lot of data though.

aceface

Oh damn, this is the best. Especially in the cities with the shards.

It wouldn't work for me with the Aethernets in the cities if that's what you mean. Only the big Aetherites that come up on your transport list. I could have been messing it up though.

And yeah on sightseeing "I espied a glorious site on a sunny day!"
Get to glorious site during weather that is unquestionably sunny.
It's "clear" instead of "fair"
Fuck you SE!!!

This one thing that bothers me about this game. I really don't know what effect the stats have on the game. There is an explanation obviously in the game but I struggle to see the real application of it in the game. When choosing between spell speed or determination, for example, I really don't have a clue which to go for. It's all too nebulous. I can't see the increased damage numbers from det or the increased cast time from spell speed. So I really don't feel like I can make informed decisions.

A lot of these stats won't be apparent until you have a ton of points in something like spell speed.

Hasney

It wouldn't work for me with the Aethernets in the cities if that's what you mean. Only the big Aetherites that come up on your transport list. I could have been messing it up though.

Aw, godammit. I always forget where the locations of those shards are based on their names.

IvorB

FUCK THIS SIGHTSEEING BULLSHIT

I'M DONE WITH IT

Only SE could fuck something like this so badly

I was kind of interested in the exploration log but the reward of one of those fish-thowing items is taking the piss surely. That seems like trolling anyone who was hyped for this. They could at least throw in some Myth or something to sweeten the deal.

it takes a lot of points before you start seeing or feeling noticeable effects of +/- points, especiallyf or something like SS; i'm sure you could see a change if you did hardcore maths and took in a lot of data though.

Oh. So what should I do when I have to make a chose between two pieces where one is strong in one stat and the other strong in something else?

Number45

Being able to filter GC deliveries just to what's in my inventory is a godsend.

Allagan is probably always going to be better than the relic.
This is as it should be, I think. The hardest content in the game should offer the greatest rewards.

And I say this as someone who has little chance of ever clearing that stuff. I love that I can get something good without needing to clear that content (horrific grind aside), but I'm completely OK with it not being as good.

Ken

Oh. So what should I do when I have to make a chose between two pieces where one is strong in one stat and the other strong in something else?

you could look up what people have found to be the better secondary stats to focus on or the one worth stacking.

Taruranto

I was kind of interested in the exploration log but the reward of one of those fish-thowing items is taking the piss surely. That seems like trolling anyone who was hyped for this. They could at least throw in some Myth or something to sweeten the deal.

It's not about the reward. I hardly even care for it, I was excited for some light open world content that didn't require fucking FATE, instead I got NM Weather camping.

IvorB

A lot of these stats won't be apparent until you have a ton of points in something like spell speed.

you could look up what people have found to be the better secondary stats to focus on or the one worth stacking.

I guess I'll read up on it and choose what to focus on.

It's not about the reward. I hardly even care for it, I was excited for some light open world content that didn't require fucking FATE, instead I got NM Weather camping.

What's wrong with FATEs? I dig them. If you don't care about the reward then you know you can just go around exploring just for the sake of it. Then it won't matter what weather it is.

system11

You need to get yourself some gimp equipment. Just keep random junk you picked up, myth and soldiery parts and so on. I was able to simulate a loss of just over 100 skill speed recently just by juggling equipment.

dramatis

Look on the bright side guys, you might actually be able to get Novus for all 9 jobs before FF15 comes out.

PLENTY OF TIME TO GRIND

What's up with the ( unable to open map at this moment ) I'm getting today when doing a quest and couldn't take a lot at the location in the map ?!
Might be a bug. What are the steps you're doing exactly?

Taruranto

What's wrong with FATEs?

They are an awful, lazy system.

If you don't care about the reward then you know you can just go around exploring just for the sake of it. Then it won't matter what weather it is.

There is nothing to explore in this game. The game world is dead. It's not Vana'Diel. Sightseeing log should have been the exploration, but instead they managed to fuck even a system they copied from another game 1:1.

Sophia

What's wrong with FATEs? I dig them. If you don't care about the reward then you know you can just go around exploring just for the sake of it. Then it won't matter what weather it is.

They have a lot of fundamental flaws. Some of them have scaling issues, some are just flat out awful. There's a lack of variety, and if you get too many players it becomes a zerg with no challenge. None exist for crafters or gatherers. Then you get the Zodiac relic weapon which forces you to be a job over a class, and FATEs are like one of the only type of PvE content where you'd actually want to be a class over a job. Then there was that period of time in 2.0 where everyone leveled off FATEs because every other means of XP were too slow, so lots of people are sick of them anyhow.

iammeiam

Question regarding grand company levequest requirements in a Trials of the Braves book. Is the GC Levequest that's selected based on the grand company I'm a part of or is it random between the three GCs?

The stuff to do in, say, Skyfire I is the same for everyone who picks up Skyfire I, so the GC quests can be from any company. Since you can pick up leves from GCs you don't belong to, it mostly amounts to cycling through all the tabs to find who has your quest.

How is literally handing non raiders the 2nd best gear in the game treating them like second class citizens? WoW has done it for years and outside of a minority chiming in daily that they should be handed the best gear for logging in, it's done them pretty well I would say. Non raiders DO NOT NEED the absolute best gear when they do not do the raid it comes from. Seriously wth would people even do with it in this game? Name me a single instance outside of raiding where 2nd best is not good enough, oil and sand are one thing because I can GUARANTEE they will not be handed out on a silver platter in CT2.

Why should non raiders be able to make a bis weapon when the content where an equivalent weapon comes from is still relevant? They have said multiples times that they will continue to add onto the relic chain(something that is not being done in 2.3 since it is not raising the ilvl, it has been confirmed). They have also said in 2.35+ they will keep adding onto it, I would say by then Coil 2 is no longer relavent since they are preparing for Coil 3 not even 2 months later. People do not need the absolute bis weapons for doing nothing but grinding easy content when the latest tier is still relavent, they can whine all they want but in the end of the day they will still eventually obtain that high end weapon, that time will be when most core raiders no longer consider the tier worth doing as more than just preparing people for the next tier.

It may sound elitist as hell but in all honesty just handing people the best gear they can obtain without a massive amount of rng or grind is bad mmo game design. You do not want "the people who pay the bills" to get the best shit available soon after it's been opened to the raiders, because the moment you do that is the moment that all "those people" suddenly see that there is no reason to login anymore since they literally have the best there's going to be for another 3-4 months. Where as all the core raiders will continue to run the content for the best gear after most of their group has everything they can get because it prepares them for the new tier, handing it out to everyone else once the most hardcore groups have finished the tier just makes it so more and more people see little point in doing the raid when they can just get handed the best gear for casually grinding and not having to worry about potential drama or stress.

Isn't this a bit of a circular reference? What's the point in getting the weapon you need for the raid, by defeating said raid (with a different, worse weapon). If what you're arguing, maybe they should give you the best weapon somewhere else, so you can tackle the raids. The rewards for the raids could be something else, maybe cosmetic or equipment with the same stats, but much cooler looks. It still separates the 2 kinds of players, but I think it might work better than the current system.

Jayhawk

Isn't this a bit of a circular reference? What's the point in getting the weapon you need for the raid, by defeating said raid (with a different, worse weapon). If what you're arguing, maybe they should give you the best weapon somewhere else, so you can tackle the raids. The rewards for the raids could be something else, maybe cosmetic or equipment with the same stats, but much cooler looks. It still separates the 2 kinds of players, but I think it might work better than the current system.

You defeat the raid to get rewards, so the subsequent attempts to defeat the same raid are smoother with the improved gear. Having the hardest content provide the best gear stat-wise is common in MMORPGs. More difficult content will have stricter gear checks for success, so the players doing this content would make better use from the extra bonuses from the best gear than players not tackling the same content.

IvorB

You need to get yourself some gimp equipment. Just keep random junk you picked up, myth and soldiery parts and so on. I was able to simulate a loss of just over 100 skill speed recently just by juggling equipment.

Hmm... not sure how feasible that is. How do they even note criticals in the game. I don't think I've ever noticed this.

There is nothing to explore in this game. The game world is dead. It's not Vana'Diel. Sightseeing log should have been the exploration, but instead they managed to fuck even a system they copied from another game 1:1.

There's plenty to see I reckon but it depends what you are expecting. If there is nothing to explore then why do you care about having a sightseeing log. If not for the reward then I don't really understand you would care either way.

They have a lot of fundamental flaws. Some of them have scaling issues, some are just flat out awful. There's a lack of variety, and if you get too many players it becomes a zerg with no challenge. None exist for crafters or gatherers. Then you get the Zodiac relic weapon which forces you to be a job over a class, and FATEs are like one of the only type of PvE content where you'd actually want to be a class over a job. Then there was that period of time in 2.0 where everyone leveled off FATEs because every other means of XP were too slow, so lots of people are sick of them anyhow.

Okay but all that aside some are still pretty awesome I reckon. I like the ones with the huge single enemies. But they could be a lot more challenging, you are right. They've made it so much easier to participate in them now which is great. There isn't really any other opportunity for multiplayer battles in the overworld.

Sophia

Okay but all that aside some are still pretty awesome I reckon. I like the ones with the huge single enemies. But they could be a lot more challenging, you are right. They've made it so much easier to participate in them now which is great. There isn't really any other opportunity for multiplayer battles in the overworld.

I think it says a lot that they've adjusted the scaling for FATEs nearly every patch and they're still awful in that regard. And yeah, the huge boss FATEs are fun the first few times you do them. They lose their luster after the 50th time.

system11

Hmm... not sure how feasible that is. How do they even note criticals in the game. I don't think I've ever noticed this.

Number appears in larger font :) Crits is a hard one to test because you're either counting things on screen or just 'getting a feel for it' from procs/etc.

You defeat the raid to get rewards, so the subsequent attempts to defeat the same raid are smoother with the improved gear. Having the hardest content provide the best gear stat-wise is common in MMORPGs. More difficult content will have stricter gear checks for success, so the players doing this content would make better use from the extra bonuses from the best gear than players not tackling the same content.

I know it's common MMORPG design, doesn't mean it's perfect. A lot of the mechanics and genre conventions of MMORPGs are very outdated by modern game standards for example.

In this particular case, I don't like the idea that to get the best equipment, which apparently its only real use is to clear the hardest raid, you need to beat said raid. It means that except for the elite that clear the content first, the rest will have to rely on those who have cleared it before. And they would bring the performance of the group down.

On the other hand if you let them get gear with similar stats from somewhere else, but giving it some sort of penalty so it's not as desirable, like making it ugly or maybe its best stats only work on that particular raid and it's a lower ilvl for everything else, whatever, then they would be able to perform that content without bringing the whole group down. It would level the playing field a little IMO.

I'm mad the ching doesn't go through the ds4 speaker anymore. Is there a way you can change that.

What is the ching for inside dungeons? I hear it from time to time and it drives me crazy and I have no idea what it's for.

Alucrid

Banned
I know it's common MMORPG design, doesn't mean it's perfect. A lot of the mechanics and genre conventions of MMORPGs are very outdated by modern game standards for example.

In this particular case, I don't like the idea that to get the best equipment, which apparently its only real use is to clear the hardest raid, you need to beat said raid. It means that except for the elite that clear the content first, the rest will have to rely on those who have cleared it before. And they would bring the performance of the group down.

On the other hand if you let them get gear with similar stats from somewhere else, but giving it some sort of penalty so it's not as desirable, like making it ugly or maybe its best stats only work on that particular raid and it's a lower ilvl for everything else, whatever, then they would be able to perform that content without bringing the whole group down. It would level the playing field a little IMO.

Not really. The "elite" clear it when the gear from the previous patch. Everyone else can stock up on the in between gear to then clear the dungeon. Plus, with lockouts, what you're proposing will never occur.

Jayhawk

With the first coil lockout removed, I think the current state of gear progression in the game for a new player trying to catch up or a player gearing up another job is fine. We have quite a few players from the FC who have managed to be geared enough to try second coil, even though they only started during the PS4 version release.

Number45

Go do the Morbul one in East Shroud. Did it last night with another tank - he took down the main dude while I spent the entire fight keeping the normal Morbuls at bay. ^_^

Yes and I'm a BLM level 50 XD

10275512_10154187941180632_6321777598077242351_o.jpg

Now how Can I make 350K gils to buy the best accessories for my character? or I will get them in another way by free like quests or ect ?

If true then that's really a shame, but I guess there's no way around it. Though it would probably help if people would actually stop queuing over and over when you say "I'm going to rebalance teams."

People want to fight! They can't control themselves when that overwhelming bloodlust consumes them and all that they desire is the joyously sadistic violence that awaits them in the Pit!

I thought the goal wasn't to train people for PvP but to have a fun GAF event. I went as Warrior intentionally and wouldn't bother going as Marauder because I'm not going to spend time getting a good weapon that Marauder can also use, and also spending gil on the i55 set even if it's not that much just to be on equal ground with others for a for-fun event seems kinda silly.

If you're not learning how to PvP then aren't you just wasting time? I'm not even obsessed about ranking up, if anything I want to rank up slower now because I'm getting good fights at my rank mostly against people as ungeared as I am. So beyond getting everyone to maybe rank between 10 and 20, there isn't any point to the event other to get people into PvP and teach them how to play and have fun learning together.

If you intend to PvP as MRD/WAR you should take the time to get the stuff you need to go as MRD because the community will expect that. If you're not willing to do that, well there are plenty of other jobs you can play in PvP including PLD. I main a WAR in PvE but lately I've been playing BRD in PvP and I'm thinking about learning how to play PLD myself. There's no requirement to have the same main in both settings and the point of unlocking all skills in 2.28 is to let people play whatever job they want.

Taruranto

There's plenty to see I reckon but it depends what you are expecting. If there is nothing to explore then why do you care about having a sightseeing log. If not for the reward then I don't really understand you would care either way.

I expect to explore Bibiki Bay, find the Manaclipper and explore a desert island. Or find a rare NM unclaimed around the world. Or some dead dude in need of a raise.

Sadly, there is nothing like this in nothing like this in XIV, where you can't walk 5 feet without running into a human outpost. I don't need a reward, but I need a reason to explore. The game world itself doesn't provide it. When I'm going out of a town, I know exactly what I'm going to get every time since everything is so small and static.

IvorB

I think it says a lot that they've adjusted the scaling for FATEs nearly every patch and they're still awful in that regard. And yeah, the huge boss FATEs are fun the first few times you do them. They lose their luster after the 50th time.

They need some outside group content. I'm hoping the monster hunting will be over-ground group content.

Number appears in larger font :) Crits is a hard one to test because you're either counting things on screen or just 'getting a feel for it' from procs/etc.

Cool. I'll look out for it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the sightseeing log being pretty lame sealed the deal for me... i'll circle back to the game world when player housing and triple triad are in, but i'm done for now.

the game is beautiful, the music and art direction are top notch but i need more to endgame than looping dungeons for gear. no great loss, as i'll have more time for summery outdoor fun and drinking and adventuring 8)

GAF's first MMO

eh, some of us spent our early 20s doing other shit

Sophia

I expect to explore Bibiki Bay, find the Manaclipper and explore a desert island. Or find a rare NM unclaimed around the world. Or some dead dude in need of a raise.

Sadly, there is nothing like this in nothing like this in XIV, where you can't walk 5 feet without running into a human outpost. I don't need a reward, but I need a reason to explore. The game world itself doesn't provide it. When I'm going out of a town, I know exactly what I'm going to get every time since everything is so small and static.

Well hopefully the Monster Hunts will at least provide Notorious Monsters in the world for you to find. :p

They need some outside group content. I'm hoping the monster hunting will be over-ground group content.

They said it'd likely require a small group, but that a well geared player in i90+ could possibly solo them. Things are looking up in that regard.

Panda Rin

seeing revenant's toll evolve overtime is really awesome. I can't wait to see how big it will get by the time the expansion comes out..

Wilsongt

seeing revenant's toll evolve overtime is really awesome. I can't wait to see how big it will get by the time the expansion comes out..

I need to drop into Rev Toll tonight. I wanted to last night, but I was too busy standing on a light post waiting for clear weather and changing into a lala

creid

I need to drop into Rev Toll tonight. I wanted to last night, but I was too busy standing on a light post waiting for clear weather and changing into a lala
Was too tired to wait til midnight last night, so I logged back in this morning just at midnight - with "fair" weather D:

WolvenOne

Actually I was figuring that the penalty in this case, would be that this weapon wouldn't be available until the tail end of the current raid cycle. IE: that'd it'd be in one of the intirum patches, a month or so until 2.4 hit and the level cap was raised.

I suppose that given that they've changed plans at least once here, I shouldn't take past statements as bible. Who knows, maybe they were going to bring out Zodiac before 2.4, and maybe it was going to be better than anything else. They very well could have changed their minds since then.

Speaking personally, I mainly just like the idea of, putting the best weapon behind a long drawn out quest chain, rather than it being another random drop, (albeit for high tier content.)

iammeiam

It occurs to me that I've seen a lot of chatter every time Odin weather shows ip, but have never seen Behemoth or heard anyone talk about popping on channel. Is he less popular than Odin?

Wilsongt

It occurs to me that I've seen a lot of chatter every time Odin weather shows ip, but have never seen Behemoth or heard anyone talk about popping on channel. Is he less popular than Odin?

Could have a lower spawn rate given that he only pops in one location as opposed to Odin which can pop anywhere in the Shroud.

SkyOdin

It's mostly a factor of where people hang out. When Odin appears, the entire Shroud is blanketed in his weather phenomenon. As long as someone is somewhere in the Shroud, people will know that Odin is up. From there, it is mostly a matter of figuring out where.

On the other hand, Behemoth only appears in one zone, and there is no big warning like with Odin. So only the people in Coerthas have a chance to spot Behemoth when it appears. This wasn't a problem when Coerthas was the most populated zone in the game for months straight, since it was widely perceived that FATE grinding there was the fastest means of leveling. Back then, it was pretty easy to get notifications when Behemoth appeared.

Nowadays though, with FATE grinding fallen out of vogue and people not needing to gather parties manually for Chimera, there are a lot fewer people in Coerthas. Thus, there are a lot fewer people around to spread the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom