• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the most stressful DF day yesterday :/

Been trying to catch up on my story mode stuff but my friends weren't online so I did the Halloween house place with DF. had to deal with Monk who was all over the place. I mean, I'm trying to mark everything when pulling and I see that it's still taking us forever to kill trash but I can't tell what he's doing .... until I see him run away to get a chest in the middle of a fight. Dude also pulled a whole pack of mobs I had to save him from.
But I made sure I put in the work to get that done right and everyone gave me the commendation thing.

Next was Brayflox ... and it gets baaad. I'm marking stuff but for some reason I'm always losing hate on mobs that are outta order. I pull a pack of 2, mark 1 flash twice and look ... and surely enough someone's attacking the non marked on. I stop and ask if they want me to bother to keep marking. Everyone's all "Yes! Please do" so I don't bother to bring it up and just keep at it. It was the healer's first time and I wiped a few times because of it -_-

Then I accidentally had Brayflox selected when I was trying to do Titan story and THIS was odd! I'm marking thinks but the BM is laying out AOE spells all over the place, making me have to spam flash just to try to keep hate. That keeps up til the final boss. On the final boss all I'm doing is my Rage combo and hate attacks ... yet somehow we're neck-to-neck for hate! The other DPS and the heal are barely on the list and BM is joking about how he's afraid that if he attacks anymore he's gonna take the hate. We wipe a few times because I keep freezing (everyone goes into idle mode for me and I'm just swing away then suddenly I come back to the game and shits gone to hell).

After it's done I think about this for a good bit ... I have only ever played with one BM and she's my friend who likes to spam sleep and is anal about marking. Never with one that spams aoes and some how out get that much hate. Take a look at my gear and notice that though I'm level 38 my gears a mix of low 20s with a few 30s on it.

Guess that might have something to do with it? :p

Decided to level crafting for a bit to atleast make some gil to buy new gear.

Dunan

Well the good news is they changed their names to better reflect their locations. For example, in Limsa, "Coral Tower" is now "Marauder's Guild."

It would be better if they used both, as in "Coral Tower (Marauder's Guild)". Then you get the functional answer (which guild it is) without feeling like you're just scrolling through a list of game-based names rather than places in a living world.

squadr0n

So I finally decided on FFXIV ARR being my MMO to spend time on. I originally started playing mmos with FF11 on the PS2 of all places and quickly started spending all day in that wonderful world until WoW came out and ruined everything. I played Wow religously for about 4 years until college started to take up all my time lol, fucking school.

But I picked up vanilla FFXIV when it first came out and was totally disappointed like most people were at the time. I picked up SWTOR and played that for awhile but lost intrest at the end game. So that brings me to 2014. I tried TESO, Wildstar, and GW2 but none of them could even compare to what WoW brought to the table until FFXIV. Finally I can get back to the days of FF11 and still have the leasons learned from WoW all in the same game.

My chars name is Arthur Snowdragon, im an Arcanist on the Ultros server. I hope to see some of you around!

Are there any spots on the GAF guild by any chance?

iammeiam

So going up a materia tier for Novus resets success rate, but Rank II materia is still only 1 stat point. You also can't use rank 1 anymore for that stat, from that point on, so you can't gamble with cheaper materia to try to save money.

It's mostly a factor of where people hang out. When Odin appears, the entire Shroud is blanketed in his weather phenomenon. As long as someone is somewhere in the Shroud, people will know that Odin is up. From there, it is mostly a matter of figuring out where.

That makes sense. Disappointing, but makes sense.

Jayhawk

So going up a materia tier for Novus resets success rate, but Rank II materia is still only 1 stat point. You also can't use rank 1 anymore for that stat, from that point on, so you can't gamble with cheaper materia to try to save money.

I figured this would be the case, since the stat bonus amount on the actual materia is not accounted for. We still need to see a bit more information to see how the tier progression will be different between determination, piety, and other materias.

Mesharey

I upgraded my digital version to a limited edition (PS4) from the website, got the fat chocobo and other things, but I couldn't find the Coeurl mount. :(

Edit: found it! I read the message but I didn't take the item. XD

iammeiam

So you actually need 75 materia? Good lord.

More, probably, due to meld failures. The Reddit thread includes a comment from the OP saying the last level 1 meld (7th materia) was a 50% success rate, so failure rate ramps up pretty quick.

At least 75 materia, and what looks like a predetermined number successes required at each tier. T1 ending after 7 materia is bad, if you need to get to 30+ overall and the other tiers are the same effect, just more expensive.

If 50% is the lowest the successful meld rate gets, I don't think it's that bad.

It will only be bad if you have to buy all the materia for it. With det/crit 1s going for 15-20k atm you're looking at quite a bit without spiritbonding. Now if they forced you to eventually rank up with materia to the point where you needed 4s at one point and a good amount of them.....then even I would agree that this should probably be higher than ilvl110.

Aeana

It will only be bad if you have to buy all the materia for it. With det/crit 1s going for 15-20k atm you're looking at quite a bit without spiritbonding. Now if they forced you to eventually rank up with materia to the point where you needed 4s at one point and a good amount of them.....then even I would agree that this should probably be higher than ilvl110.

Considering how many grade 1 materias Vero got yesterday from spiritbonding in a short period, there's no reason to buy grade 1s at all.

More, probably, due to meld failures. The Reddit thread includes a comment from the OP saying the last level 1 meld (7th materia) was a 50% success rate, so failure rate ramps up pretty quick.

At least 75 materia, and what looks like a predetermined number successes required at each tier. T1 ending after 7 materia is bad, if you need to get to 30+ overall and the other tiers are the same effect, just more expensive.

man fuck that, they must be smoking some serious crack up in SE

the RMT must be licking their lips at this shit

iammeiam

While it's early yet, it's looking like best case 19 rank IV materia required (24 remaining Det/3 remaining levels = 8, 44 for other stat /4 =11). That's a shitload of money, or a substantial SB time investment.

CT bout to get popular again?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just introduce cash shop items that remove the chance of failure already.

BadRNG

If 50% is the lowest the successful meld rate gets, I don't think it's that bad.
Ahahahahahahaahaha.

I have blown several hundred thousand gil on a single "40%" meld before, with the materia being used being "only" 15-20k per. Anything less than 100% on the IV melds is going to be painful.

What in the world are they thinking with these relic upgrades. Was it really necessary to add a massive gil sink on top of the massive time sink?

Aeana

Ahahahahahahaahaha.

I have blown several hundred thousand gil on a single "40%" meld before, with the materia being used being "only" 15-20k per. Anything less than 100% on the IV melds is going to be painful.

What in the world are they thinking with these relic upgrades. Was it really necessary to add a massive gil sink on top of the massive time sink?
They saw Cheshire Kat's gil total. Send all complaints to Chesire Kat @ Ultros.

WolvenOne

Any word on the drop rate for Alexandrite, on Fates?

My tentative goal is at least two a day, and I'm just wondering if I'd be better off grinding Myth, or Fates.

Incidentally, I'll be affixing parry first. I already have some on hand, and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the other materia. Also it'll give me a chance to Spirit Bind some more Heavens Eye.

Also, what are the best accessories to Spirit Bind? I'm half tempted just to Run CT for Myth, while Spirit Binding, to kill two birds with one stone.

My tentative goal is at least two a day, and I'm just wondering if I'd be better off grinding Myth, or Fates.

Incidentally, I'll be affixing parry first. I already have some on hand, and it's relatively cheap compared to some of the other materia. Also it'll give me a chance to Spirit Bind some more Heavens Eye.

Also, what are the best accessories to Spirit Bind? I'm half tempted just to Run CT for Myth, while Spirit Binding, to kill two birds with one stone.

Heard is worst than Atma.

Don't take my word, but is what I heard on my FC.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

You do realize there's a thing called google right?
It's a search engine that helps solve your query/queries

There's also the OF, Blue Gartr, Reddit, countless other places where there's info you seek for just those questions

Seriously, do you think people that are posters are living breathing FFXIV Wikis that at a whim will just answer all your questions and help address your personal dilemma

I can, but come the fuck on DO SOME GODDAMN FUCKING RESEARCH!

Best accessories would be sub lvl 20 tank things since unless you are forced to switch eventually then your best bet is to get a lot of rank 1 materia. If you run CT or bray then just think of it as wearing full crafting accessories where the entire right half is worthless and gives no benefit.

WolvenOne

Eh, sharing info between players is mutually beneficial. Though perhaps I did ask for a bit much in a single go.

To be fair though, if you ever have any questions, and I happen to know, I'll be happy to help you out.

Ken

are you ramuh?

ibuT6ABUPbq14Z.png

WolvenOne

Best accessories would be sub lvl 20 tank things since unless you are forced to switch eventually then your best bet is to get a lot of rank 1 materia. If you run CT or bray then just think of it as wearing full crafting accessories where the entire right half is worthless and gives no benefit.

Thank you.

Dang, I should've realized that right off the get go. I guess I won't have to waste money on i55 gear for awhile then.

Also, thankfully the low level stuff binds hecka fast, in my experience.

BadRNG

Dang, I should've realized that right off the get go. I guess I won't have to waste money on i55 gear for awhile then.
You'll never have to waste money on i55 gear. Anything 45+ turns into G3 with chance at G4, spiritbonds faster, and I've never seen hard evidence to suggest i55 gives T4 any more often. The faster bind and cheaper materials could probably balance it out even if they did.

You do realize there's a thing called google right?
It's a search engine that helps solve your query/queries

There's also the OF, Blue Gartr, Reddit, countless other places where there's info you seek for just those questions

Seriously, do you think people that are posters are living breathing FFXIV Wikis that at a whim will just answer all your questions and help address your personal dilemma

calm down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where do people in the GAF FC hang out? Apparently there isn't a list of FCs on the server yet (wtf Square), so i need to find a member to apply to the FC.

Ken

Where do people in the GAF FC hang out? Apparently there isn't a list of FCs on the server yet (wtf Square), so i need to find a member to apply to the FC.

in the mist/residential area. if you go to player search and find a GAF member on there, you can submit a FC app through that too I believe.

just search uh, Drama Zeni.

Leves really need a mass turn in option, or the ability to accept them anywhere in the world. Or both, ideally. Turning in like 60 of these is tedious. >_>;

You really should HQ those...with the right leve item, you only need like 10-12 to go up five levels.

Sophia

You really should HQ those...with the right leve item, you only need like 10-12 to go up five levels.

Yeah well unfortunately I'm farming the materials myself because I'm poor, and the amount of time it would take to HQ all those would take FAR too long. You're talking about tacking on an additional hour or two at the least.

Mind you, it's taking forever to turn all these actually in, so.... >_>;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom