• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Biggest problem with Titan HM is noobs in any role. DPS needs to dodge, tanks need to learn they can't just eat all the bombs without cooldowns, healers have to learn2heal. It can be kind of satisfying to watch a group of new people get better over an hour of wipes, but most experienced people in roulette just want a myth vending machine so groups with new people in key roles tend to get dropped or vote-abandoned quickly.

WolvenOne

Really ought to be a Myth Bonus, for clearing Trial Roulettes with players that haven't cleared.

Say, an additional 10-15 Myth per player?

Azrael

BppjuYVCMAAWmHJ.jpg

We'll find out tomorrow, but my guess is the real expansion pack still isn't coming out for a long time, and 2.4 is going to be such a large update that it is going to be marketed as a free mini-expansion pack.

Third Coil of Bahamut
new tomestone and raised item level cap, possibly AF2 added to game
continuation of Zodiak weapon quest line
Gold Saucer
Shiva and new beast tribe
at least one new field area (more of Coerthas is going to be opened up for Shiva)
personal housing
marriage system
dagger and gun classes/jobs
more than one new dungeon
more main scenario/side quests than previous updates.

WolvenOne

I can't wait to see Lord Garuda selling new players for Expert Roulette.

Is that guy even on Ultros Server anymore? Haven't ran into him in awhile.

Speaking of, I realized that night that, when they introduce the three new dungeons in 2.3, I probably won't be able to do Expert Roulettes until I rush through the story and clear them. Kinda a shame, usually I take my time with those dungeons and clear them one at a time over 2-3 days span.

Won't be able to do that, if I'm still doing EDR's for Alexandrites. <_<;;

Tabris

I'd offer to help, but I've never really cleared that fight as anything but a Tank. <_<;;

Run up to Garuda, whack her. Don't whack Spikey Plume, except when Garuda jumps. Whack Chirada and then Suprana. Success.

In almost everything, DPS is easier than healers or tank (except maybe SMN).

EDIT - Correction, maintaining top DPS while dodging everything is the challenge for DPS, so I retract my above comment.

IMBored

Run up to Garuda, whack her. Don't whack Spikey Plume, except when Garuda jumps. Whack Chirada and then Suprana. Success.

In almost everything, DPS is easier than healers or tank (except maybe SMN).

EDIT - Correction, maintaining top DPS while dodging everything is the challenge for DPS, so I retract my above comment.

Ruru EX is easiest for healers, then tanks because they have to juggle spiny (don't forget to juggle spiny), then dps.

iammeiam

Ruru EX is easiest for healers, then tanks because they have to juggle spiny (don't forget to juggle spiny), then dps.

Based around the number of runs I've seen fall apart over it, I can only assume juggling spiny requires skill in-line with RL chainsaw juggling.

squadr0n

So ive been hearing alot of hate about the Summoner Job, should I switch my focus to Paladin since ive already been on the fence and im right at the point where i can switch without too much trouble leveling. I never wanted summoner to be my main, I just wanted to try it out at first but im wondering which classes are needed the most. Should I go tank (paladin) or DPS (warrior or probably dragoon)

draw4wild

So ive been hearing alot of hate about the Summoner Job, should I switch my focus to Paladin since ive already been on the fence and im right at the point where i can switch without too much trouble leveling. I never wanted summoner to be my main, I just wanted to try it out at first but im wondering which classes are needed the most. Should I go tank (paladin) or DPS (warrior or probably dragoon)

Warrior is still a tank class, not dps....

And summoner is a good job and is a top dps but I think people were expecting over the top huge summons and we definitely didn't get that with summoner. That and the fact that garuda is only summon worth to use at the moment make it a little boring, I don't even have ifrit on any hotbar. I'm really hoping Ramuh-egi gets an ability that puts En-Thunder on the party

Isaccard

What are you talking about SMN is is one of the top DPS in the game

dark_chris

Since I got all my DoW classes to 50 and ilvl 90+, I'm gonna give DoM a whirl. I'm trying THM and man it's slow. -.- lol. Level 10 and cannot wait to get to 15 already so I can do dungeons

Wilsongt

...Hate about the smn job? wat?

SMN's tend to parse higher than a lot of other jobs, outside of monk sometimes. I was doing t6 for the first time with my static on Saturday, and without Ruru I was parsing 4th and the other smn was parsing 1st. With ruru, I was parsing 2nd to the other smn's 1st.

So, yeah. We're not as boring as people make us out to be. It's more than just putting up DoTs, you need to pay attention to a lot of things.

WolvenOne

Yo know I'm getting really sick of low level roulette giving me toto-rak

The first handful of dungeons come up far more often in roulette. This is inevitable unfortunately. At low levels there are only a few dungeons people can run, so people tend to queue up to those far more frequently.

kiryogi

Banned

Uh, SMN is a beast, I don't know where you're hearing that from. If a SMN is dotting right, they will bring the damage. They're super preferred right now over BLM in the current end game. Hell SMN can do awesome things like Titan-egi tank Leviathan EX. A good SMN is a massive asset.

Wilsongt

Uh, SMN is a beast, I don't know where you're hearing that from. If a SMN is dotting right, they will bring the damage. They're super preferred right now over BLM in the current end game. Hell SMN can do awesome things like Titan-egi tank Leviathan EX. A good SMN is a massive asset.

Yes, I am a major asset, thank you. :D

Wilsongt

:O I hear you guys having bulb trouble in T6 :O

A bit, but we got better at it. We managed to get her down to roughly 64% at our lowest. For having five people who have never been in turn 6 before, we actually handled it pretty well and caught on fairly quick. Other than bulbs, we got fairly good at phase one and avoiding being eaten and breaking vines.

Dunan

It's not an error. In 1.0, Marauder's guild (formed by pirates) was located at the Astalicia, and at the Coral Tower was the Musketeer Guild, the official Limsan Army (the Barracudas). After the Calamity, the marauder guild reformed, and Merlwyb incorporated them to the barracudas, so now they share headquarters with the musketeers.

Thanks for this; I had never played 1.0. The book calls it a 'guild' and uses the exact same icon that a join-able guild would use, so it felt like something from pre-production had been left in.

Wilsongt

So, I am betting on the fact that Thief will be the class, and it will branch like Arcanist into Ninja and Musketeer. Which means that Limsa will have the same amount of classes as the other two city states, and will have the most job options. :eek:

Zalasta

I call bullshit
Usual outcome of Titan HM is 2 healers and 2 tanks being alive and all DPS being dead

In my run last night as MNK I was the only DPS that didn't die to AOE and outlasted most of the healer/tank in the 2 failed attempts (got it on the 3rd). Not a single recommend.

So I've been playing around with this game a little bit and I have a low 20s gladiator. I really love the aesthetic and feel of the game but holy shit tanking in this game is boring. Does it get much more active late game than this? I know I only have a few skills but the pace of combat feels very sluggish.

Number45

So I've been playing around with this game a little bit and I have a low 20s gladiator. I really love the aesthetic and feel of the game but holy shit tanking in this game is boring. Does it get much more active late game than this? I know I only have a few skills but the pace of combat feels very sluggish.
You'll get more to play with as you level, but you'll still be using flash quite a lot. I personally found MRD/WAR a lot more fun than GLD/PLD, but I stopped at 34 so I can't compare directly.

Hopefully this maintenance today fixes the problems we've been seeing the last few days. Stinks it's on reset day, no double DR's for me tomorrow.

You'll get more to play with as you level, but you'll still be using flash quite a lot. I personally found MRD/WAR a lot more fun than GLD/PLD, but I stopped at 34 so I can't compare directly.

Ugh, seriously? Flash is the worst tanking ability I've run into. Every tank class needs a semi-passive aoe agro builder but the strength of the effect feels too strong with flash, like if you had enough MP all you'd have to do would be to spam it. How about a cleave, whirlwind or shout, something that generates some agro but only just enough to ensure extra targets don't run off for the healer.

I'd like to try WAR tanking too but I've never liked the idea of playing a brutish axeman, I much prefer the stout sword/board aesthetic.

BLCKATK

Ugh, seriously? Flash is the worst tanking ability I've run into. Every tank class needs a semi-passive aoe agro builder but the strength of the effect feels too strong with flash, like if you had enough MP all you'd have to do would be to spam it. How about a cleave, whirlwind or shout, something that generates some agro but only just enough to ensure extra targets don't run off for the healer.

I'd like to try WAR tanking too but I've never liked the idea of playing a brutish axeman, I much prefer the stout sword/board aesthetic.

Flash may be boring but it is a very powerful hate ability. The best way generate AoE threat on PLD no doubt. Combine it with Fight or Flight (30% Damage Increase) and it will generate even more threat. Paladin is the type of tank that hunkers down and eats damage, and does a good job at keeping himself alive.

If you want a more active roll, try out Warrior, really. I thought I wouldn't like it but I really enjoy how they dealt with it in this game. It is much more aggressive in it's process of defending itself (Damage Mitigation is combined with Damage dealing, health leeching, hate generated more through damage.)

Flash may be boring but it is a very powerful hate ability. The best way generate AoE threat on PLD no doubt. Combine it with Fight or Flight (30% Damage Increase) and it will generate even more threat. Paladin is the type of tank that hunkers down and eats damage, and does a good job at keeping himself alive.

If you want a more active roll, try out Warrior, really. I thought I wouldn't like it but I really enjoy how they dealt with it in this game. It is much more aggressive in it's process of defending itself (Damage Mitigation is combined with Damage dealing, health leeching, hate generated more through damage.)

That's what I'm saying, that it shouldn't be so powerful. I feel like AE threat should only ever be just enough, and that any threat gained beyond that needs to be through direct action or AE attacks. Making one ability gain so much AE threat is silly in my opinion.

WolvenOne

That's what I'm saying, that it shouldn't be so powerful. I feel like AE threat should only ever be just enough, and that any threat gained beyond that needs to be through direct action or AE attacks. Making one ability gain so much AE threat is silly in my opinion.

Actually Flash in my experience, is pretty flimsy in comparison to Overpower, and niether will hold enmity for all THAT long, and DPS can still pull mobs off the tank fairly easily, "if," they're not paying attention.

Both flash and overpower drain your resources quickly, so if the DPS aren't focusing on a single target at all, you'll quickly run out of TP or MP, and they'll start peeling enemies off of you. Similarly, if all the DPS but one are focusing on a single mob, and you don't realize it, then the DPS attacking that single mob can sometimes pull if off you before you have a chance to refresh overpower or flash.

The best way to combat this is to toss out 2-3 Overpowers or Flashes at the beginning of an encounter, to ensure you have a substantial enough lead that nobody can pull mobs off you before you have a chance at refreshing AoE enmity. However, this isn't always an option, particularly in longer fights.

Good example of this would be off-tanking T4. That fight really forces you to carefully conserve your resources, even though new mobs are spawning everywhere. You could Overpower and Flash everything and hold enmity easily for the first half of the fight, but if you do you'll be resources starved by the time you reach the second half.

BLCKATK

Well Flash is best used combined with cycling your hate combo through all the enemies, so it's a little more active. But I can't say I don't disagree with you. Try Warrior, it's definitely more assertive when it comes to maintaining AoE hate.

SkyOdin

I think you are over-estimating flash. It is powerful enough to maintain aggro on enemies that are not the main target of attack, but that is about it. It produces a lot less aggro on a single target than the Paladin's main attack combo. It is also unsuited to pulling hate off of a target that has already built it up. Flash is a tool best used in conjunction with the rest of the Gladiator/Paladin's arsenal. You use Shield Toss to pull, Circle of Scorn and Flash to establish and maintain group aggro, direct attacks to keep the main target under control, and Provoke/Shield Toss to catch enemies that loose aggro on you. Doing nothing but Flash is a really inefficient strategy, particularly since it doesn't contribute any damage and burns through mp quickly.

I find tanking to be really fun in the game. I'm glad that the basic attack combo is pretty simple, since I always feel like I am juggling quite a few concerns while tanking.

Anyways, wait till about level 30. At that point, the basic act of holding aggro becomes a much bigger chore for a while as every other class in the game starts to get big increases to how much damage they are dealing, and thus build up hate faster. Late game tanking is a very different beast than early tanking, which can be said for any class or role in the game, really.

WolvenOne

Man, all this reminds me of what it was like to be a Tank when I first hit 50. If players had Relics, they could take enemy hate off me like it was nothing at all. XD

Probably even worse now, what with all the players in ilvl100 armor, leviathan, animus, and soldiery weapons.

How much of a difference does Skill Speed+ make?

Say for example I get +15 of this on a piece of gear, is it actually noticeable?

Those 2.5sec cds on all your abilities? ya 10 ss takes .01sec off all of them until you get like 200+ ss from gear and then it starts being like .01 every 7-8 ss(not what your character sheet says if you have 0 from gear). It is 100% worthless for all physical dps classes other than monk, the most "benefit" you are going to see from it is that it drains your tp faster which then makes you have more downtime unless a bard is in the group(makes them have more downtime too or just more time of subpar dps).

Now if you are asking about casters, it's actually worthwhile for everything but smn(it's worthless for smn). The benefit from it point for point is still the same.

WolvenOne

How much of a difference does Skill Speed+ make?

Say for example I get +15 of this on a piece of gear, is it actually noticeable?

Skill speed, is sadly one of the less useful stats at the moment. Oh, it does increase your overall DPS, but not nearly as much as Crit or Determination does at the moment. The way they have it set up, you'd need to absurd amount of it to really noticeably reduce your GCN.

Once you had that though, your DPS would then be absurd. Since more attacks in X amount of time is always always going to trump the fewer attacks in the same amount of time, even if those fewer attacks are hitting slightly harder.

But it's all but impossible to stack that sort of Skill Speed at the moment, at least that's my understanding.

Edit: Also, yes, it results in your burning through TP/MP more quickly. I'd like to see them modify the stat to it slightly increased the TP/MP regeneration rate as well, but, so far the developers haven't seemed inclined to do anything to address the player-bases general distaste for the Skill Speed stat.

Edit Edit: Arguably if you could stack enough of it, the stat might be useful for Warriors, as it's result in Wrath stacks filling faster, and would enable them to be more responsive. Again though, it'd be really difficult to stack enough of it to make a real difference.

Alucrid

Banned
why would mp matter? aside from ruin, smns are run on their dot timers. blackmages rotation automatically regen mp for them. so spell speed doesn't hurt casters as much as skill speed hurts melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom