• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

why would mp matter? aside from ruin, smns are run on their dot timers. blackmages rotation automatically regen mp for them. so spell speed doesn't hurt casters as much as skill speed hurts melee

I dunno. We currently have a WHM in our FC that has a spell speed build so he can get Cures off faster.

WolvenOne

Speaking of stats, itemization, etc etc and so on and so forth.

I really would like to see them adding more interesting stats to weaponry over time. The ability to adjust your secondary stats on your Novus is, a good start, especially if they make re-speccing those stats easier later on.

However, I'd rather see things like, "Doubles the amount of Wrath you're capable of stacking," or "increases the duration of Inner Beast to 12 seconds."

Stuff like that.

Also, bringing back elemental attributes/resistances would be nice, but they'd have to find a way to exempt Casters from this, somehow. BLM's can't exactly not use certain spells, just because certain enemies are immune to the damage, seeing as said spells are apart of their rotation.

IvorB

I really would like to see them adding more interesting stats to weaponry over time. The ability to adjust your secondary stats on your Novus is, a good start, especially if they make re-speccing those stats easier later on.

However, I'd rather see things like, "Doubles the amount of Wrath you're capable of stacking," or "increases the duration of Inner Beast to 12 seconds."

Stuff like that.

We totally need this. Just attribute point allocation is boring.

WolvenOne

We totally need this. Just attribute point allocation is boring.

I'd agree, though if they make re-specing something like the Novus easier, that'll certainly be useful in the future, for progression.

I mean, if it was easy enough, you could use it to say, hit the latest raid's accuracy cap, then put the leftovers into some other stat. Then adjust it later as more equipment with accuracy dropped into your inventory. Not really doable now, since the Novus is set up to be more of a one time stat customization, but I can't imagine them not giving users more options to re-adjust said secondaries at some point in time.

Still, even so, I'd agree. It might be useful, especially if they make it easier, but it lacks a bit of, "teh sexy," factor, and would still never make said weapon more desirable then another weapon with better base stats.

Ken

Stuff like that.

Also, bringing back elemental attributes/resistances would be nice, but they'd have to find a way to exempt Casters from this, somehow. BLM's can't exactly not use certain spells, just because certain enemies are immune to the damage, seeing as said spells are apart of their rotation.

no thanks.

BLCKATK

Stuff like that.

I'd like to see that on a less potent and more unique scale. "Doubles the amount of Wrath you're capable of stacking" is far too powerful, while "Increases Critical Hit Rate bonus of Wrath stacks by 5%" is far more grounded. And if there were more and less generic, you could see builds being designed around uses bonuses like that.

I for one would love to see a bonus like "When Bloodletter lands a critical, 50% chance that 25% percent of damage will be restored as MP." for Bards. Would expand the song usage of Bard quite a bit.

BlackJace

It's pretty tedious from Lv 1 - 15 unless you have quests still left to do. Then since you still have to get it to Lv 30, enjoy the long queue times for ACN since it's considered a DPS job.

I'm already lv 30, thought I could then immediately go to scholar. Oh how I was wrong.

EDIt: Whaaaa, I can't even complete upper level quests until I'm at least at that level. lol, thought I found a shortcut through fetch quests.

WolvenOne

I'd like to see that on a less potent and more unique scale. "Doubles the amount of Wrath you're capable of stacking" is far too powerful, while "Increases Critical Hit Rate bonus of Wrath stacks by 5%" is far more grounded. And if there were more and less generic, you could see builds being designed around uses bonuses like that.

I for one would love to see a bonus like "When Bloodletter lands a critical, 50% chance that 25% percent of damage will be restored as MP." for Bards. Would expand the song usage of Bard quite a bit.

Well that was just a, top of my hat, sort of thing. Though I suspect you're right there, if I could stack up to 10 Wrath by using a certain weapon, I wouldn't even consider switching to another weapon until something with a considerably higher ilvl became available. I was thinking more along the lines of, bonus's that might make up the difference between an ilvl110 and ilvl115 weapon, IE, a fairly subtle difference.

Wilsongt

I'm already lv 30, thought I could then immediately go to scholar. Oh how I was wrong.

EDIt: Whaaaa, I can't even complete upper level quests until I'm at least at that level. lol, thought I found a shortcut through fetch quests.

Oh, if you're already Lv 30, then you're fine. You just need to complete all of the ACN quests up to 30, and the SCH quests start in the Marauder's guild.

From the Official Forums:

CdONe3M.jpg

Yoshi arriving at E3
Character Design (c)2014 Tetsuya Nomura

Kenai

Can I marry my retainers???

Just in case you aren't joking, the only thing we know right now is that the marriage ceremony takes place in that big church in East Shroud (can't go in right now) and that there's concept art for the wedding dress + tux floating around.

I'm actually paying attention to this partially because it might be a lot of fun (and really profitable to sell "wedding sets") and also partially because I'm seriously hoping SE avoids a sh*tstorm by having all racial/gender marriage options available from the get-go.

Allard

Surprised no one has commented on the like 1-2 seconds of FMV footage for Frontlines found in both the F2P and Final Sony montages XD, guess we will see the full thing tomorrow.

90k'd just as I was about to HQ the SMN relic precursor...ouch

You missed out, I ended up running 7 Bray Myth runs through those 90k's yesterday. Shit was hilarious when I DC'd right in the middle of the 2nd boss fight and the other 3 guys kited the boss around until I logged back in.

Today IDGAF, watched E3 conferences and playing FFX HD Remaster. I'll log in again after the emergency maint hopefully fixes their servers.

BadRNG

How long are they supposed to last?
Hour and a half each.

Isn‘t today just Q&A though and announcements aren't until Thursay?
It's been implied by the NA staff that there will be some big surprises/stuff shown here. It also makes the most sense to do the expansion announcement at the English live letter since they are at E3 and most of the attendees will be English speakers. The English promotional materials they've made for E3 also point to content beyond 2.3(like Shiva). Would be a huge massive disappointment if this ended up being little to nothing.

The second live letter that happens Thursday is supposed to be the normal live letter format, and they already said that it will be a part 2 of the 2.3 stuff continuing from the previous live letter. They always sneak in some stuff beyond the topic for the letter but they'd hype it more if this was where the reveal was going to take place I'd think.

Allard

Hopefully 2.3 isn't that far off then. Would be nice if we get it in two weeks or so. I'm probably way too optimistic though

They said last live letter they expect end of June, but my guess is first week or so of July. We will probably get a better date on Thursday, Tomorrow is when we are supposed to get 'announcements' stuff and its an hour and 30 minutes long, but if its like last years E3 half of that time is going to be spent fielding misc. questions for Yoshida on the future of the game and at small spots we will see new things to announce. As much as I want to see an expansion announcement, after some of the more recent interviews I really don't think its going to get announced formally tomorrow. He mentioned several times that if he 'revealed the new classes' during interviews he wouldn't 'have much' to talk about during E3, that to me implies the only big news will be mostly the new classes and stuff leading up to the end of the current content alongside hinting at the future expansion and where we might be going.

Having said that we might be in for a free 'mini' expansion so to speak for things like Shiva, maybe opening up some of the old territory we still haven't gotten like Western Coerthas Highlands, Eastern Highlands and maybe North Highlands (And since they moved Aurum Vale I'm worried the lowlands are gone :( ). In fact I would rather they expand the old territories a bit more before tackling an expansion, I hate how little new territory we got with the rebuild and we are still missing old areas. I would hate it even more if the big 'surprise' for the expansion is just more regurgitation of old world brought new without even exploring truly new areas like North end of Vylbrand, North Eorzea, and Amalja homeland region. Fill what is missing first from 1.0 and then we can talk expansion dang it :mad:.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There is no reason to follow the original world structure slavishly if it doesn‘t fit current game design goals. From what I‘ve seen of 1.0 maps they were pretty terrible to navigate all around and no vast expanses are going to do any good if they don‘t have anything to fill em with.

WolvenOne

There is no reason to follow the original world structure slavishly if it doesn‘t fit current game design goals. From what I‘ve seen of 1.0 maps they were pretty terrible to navigate all around and no vast expanses are going to do any good if they don‘t have anything to fill em with.

That being said, it'd be nice if there were at least a few, REALLY big open areas, for rare high level mobs (Lvl50+), maybe super high risk treasure hunts, and massive scale combat, for large scale PVP, massive Fates, etc.

That, and just because a few large open areas would be the world feel larger, even when you were outside of those areas. I mean, sure, because of PS3 limitations they wouldn't be able to make these areas quite as pretty, they'd have to reuse textures and models more frequently. But, for an endless grassland, or an perpetually misty forest, that wouldn't be much of an issue.

Edit: Or even a few more areas built like Coarthas central highlands. I know even that is fairly small by the standards of most MMO's, but I'll take what I can get.

Allard

Coerthas and Mor Dhona were the exceptions to these for 1.0 The textures were mostly sameness but there were a lot of unique little areas for people to discover not to mention the keeper on the lake was the inspiration to the monument building of 2.0 and for the most part Coerthas was the least used area in the game. East and Western Coerthas both clearly still exist and are referenced. Central Coetheras save for moving Aurum Vale is a near carbon copy of the general map structure of the original from 1.0 just with less 'can't traverse' tiny little obstructions.and of course the snow. The "look" of the original Coerthas is sorely missing from this game imo. When they first showed off concept for the new central Coerthas it wasn't all snow, it had snow specific parts, hell the area where Stone Vigil is at looked like a fortress on the side of a cliff with absolutely zero snow on it. There is more 'sameness' in the new Coerthas that compared to the initial concepts for that zone I was thoroughly disappointed :/ its the only area I non-sarcastically consider a downgrade from 1.0, at least without some additional zones to spread out the variety. It feels so small and lacks a great deal of interesting content (Not to mention I still hate its going on 4+ years Ishgard still hasn't opened up, it feels like Tavnazia did to FFXI at this point). Coerthas was bar none my favorite zone from the original 1.0 game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That being said, it'd be nice if there were at least a few, REALLY big open areas, for rare high level mobs (Lvl50+), maybe super high risk treasure hunts, and massive scale combat, for large scale PVP, massive Fates, etc.

That, and just because a few large open areas would be the world feel larger, even when you were outside of those areas. I mean, sure, because of PS3 limitations they wouldn't be able to make these areas quite as pretty, they'd have to reuse textures and models more frequently. But, for an endless grassland, or an perpetually misty forest, that wouldn't be much of an issue.
Don‘t Coerthas and Mor Dhona already fulfill that role? I understand that the world needs to feel big but again bigger does not always mean better game (god that‘s poorly worded!). Frontier in AC3 was huge. It was also boring, counterproductive to the game mechanics and a paim to navigate. If the game needs a huge area then let them make one but a larger Sylphlands would just be a copout.

WolvenOne

Don‘t Coerthas and Mor Dhona already fulfill that role? I understand that the world needs to feel big but again bigger does not always mean better game (god that‘s poorly worded!). Frontier in AC3 was huge. It was also boring, counterproductive to the game mechanics and a paim to navigate. If the game needs a huge area then let them make one but a larger Sylphlands would just be a copout.

Bigger isn't always better, yes I agree. I think if the bulk of the game was huge, but the actual important areas were very few and very far between, it'd be an overall downgrade. I like that so much of the world here is distinct, and can be easily identified from a mere screenshot, that's a huge improvement over some games I played, where the worlds were huge but obviously copy-pasted.

However, there are some things you just, kinda, do need large areas for. You're never going to recreate the sense of, "a vast frontier," or, "a dangerous no mans land," is a small zone where friendly habitation is a mere quarter mile walk away.

If you want to create a good sense of mystery, or making the world feel large and dangerous, you're going to need at least a few large areas, that're hecka dangerous to traverse, even at lvl50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom