• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I'm actually quite confused on all the different Weapon and Armor upgrades available. Once all the information is cemented down, I'm really going to have to sit and study out my options. XD

Owari

Yes, follow the quest chain and you'll be able to choose an ilvl90 weapon.

Thanks

I'm actually quite confused on all the different Weapon and Armor upgrades available. Once all the information is cemented down, I'm really going to have to sit and study out my options. XD

Yeah. There seems to be a LOT of options. And with vanity seeming to be rather expensive, I don't see the point in pre planning vanity gearsets. (I mean, one or two items, sure. )

Ken

Yeah. There seems to be a LOT of options. And with vanity seeming to be rather expensive, I don't see the point in pre planning vanity gearsets. (I mean, one or two items, sure. )

Mmmm doesn't seem too bad.

Crafting gear is i90 and with materia and take you close to i100 or higher, I'd imagine.

Tomes get you gear that's a step below High Allagan this time; i100 armor and i110 weapons.

High Allagan is the best gear this update, although BiS lists will be quite interesting this time around.

The stats on the new Thyrus suggests Atma is just a step before Animus which is weird because they're both i100, no?

BadRNG

Wow, so to get a primal weapon costs 390 soldiery tomes?
No, no. Different tokens. The Solderiy token are 130 per, and you need 10 of them per Weathered Weapon (along with an Unidentified Tome, however you get those)

As for why to do EX primals now, you need to do them once to unlock new EX primals, and they drop new ponies. Depending on how many myth/soldiery you get from them I could see farming parties like we used to have for Garuda HM. Cannot imagine how fast Garuda EX would die with 5 i100+ dps.

Why is vanity expensive? They have separate master craft books as part of a quest I thought, they won't be the expensive ones. I thought Yoshida specifically said they wanted vanity to be cheap too.

Dunan

Ohhhh man, the tracks that play in the new dungeons aren't just 20 second rifts, all of them are 4min+. This means we'll probably hear them throughout the whole dungeon looping.

The Lost City of Ampdapor track creates such a gloomy tone (considering what the instance is), it's beautiful.

The existing dungeon music tracks are also several minutes long; I'm absolutely loving listening to them on the OST (which even lets you sort by location, so you can select, say, "Limsa Lominsa" and the last three or four tracks will be the dungeons in that region).

Hopefully the fans will rise up and demand that the dungeon tracks play in full rather than cutting off to the overused dungeon battle music all the time. About the only thing I can say in favor of the dungeon music is that it alerts the unaware that a battle has begun. But FFXII didn't do this, and neither should FFXIV... particularly when those ambient themes are so good.

Also, for you piano players, they've released sheet music for Before Meteor:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4906976611/

WolvenOne

No, no. Different tokens. The Solderiy token are 130 per, and you need 10 of them per Weathered Weapon (along with an Unidentified Tome, however you get those)

As for why to do EX primals now, you need to do them once to unlock new EX primals, and they drop new ponies. Depending on how many myth/soldiery you get from them I could see farming parties like we used to have for Garuda HM. Cannot imagine how fast Garuda EX would die with 5 i100+ dps.

Why is vanity expensive? They have separate master craft books as part of a quest I thought, they won't be the expensive ones. I thought Yoshida specifically said they wanted vanity to be cheap too.

The ilvl90 Primal weapons will still be useful for gearing up alternate classes, if you'd prefer spending your myth elsewhere. For the most part though, yeah, there's a reason they added the ponies. XD

Edit: Kinda pains me that the Dual Haken I worked so hard for, is now about to be considered scrub gear. T_T;;

WolvenOne

Just tracked down some information on the Zodiac weapons, from the XIVdb forum.

More information about this Atma quest (likely the first zodiac weapon upgrade)

Relic Zodiac - Atma - Level 100 weapon

Looking through item descriptions...

Atma of the Maiden - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in the Central Shroud.
Atma of the Scorpion - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in southern Thanalan.
Atma of the Water-bearer - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in upper La Noscea.
Atma of the Goat - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in the East Shroud.
Atma of the Bull - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in eastern Thanalan.
Atma of the Ram - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in middle La Noscea.
Atma of the Twins - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in western Thanalan.
Atma of the Lion - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in outer La Noscea.
Atma of the Fish - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in lower La Noscea.
Atma of the Archer - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in the North Shroud.
Atma of the Scales - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in central Thanalan.
Atma of the Crab - The crystallized soul of a formiddable foe felled in western La Noscea.

So, it seems as if the items you need to upgrade your Relic weapons, are earned through boss fights. Either high level fates, or Trials akin to Hydra and Chimera. (I'm hopeful it's the later.)

desu

151863abc995.png

Stuart444

So... what are the chances of the server being up an hour early to alleviate the stress the login servers will have to deal with when it's the 'official' time for the game to go back up?

kiryogi

Banned
Massive grind time. I seriously want Zodiac/Atma to be the grind that was 1.x Relics or XI. Relics should not be so easily attainable.

Ken

what i kinda hope this is but at the same time hope it isn't

each category (Enemies, dungeons, FATEs, leves) corresponds to 1 stat on the weapon. so completing enemies nets you +2 STR, leves gets you +x skill speed, and so on. the freedom of choice comes in by allowing you to clear a total of Y categories of any kind before the weapon stops accepting more points and becomes animus. downside of this will be that it's a no brainer which stat to stack and the whole thing is pointless.

on the other more likely hand, you just clear everything on that checklist, everyone gets the same stats in their final weapon, and everything continues to be boring.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
what i kinda hope this is but at the same time hope it isn't

each category (Enemies, dungeons, FATEs, leves) corresponds to 1 stat on the weapon. so completing enemies nets you +2 STR, leves gets you +x skill speed, and so on. the freedom of choice comes in by allowing you to clear a total of Y categories of any kind before the weapon stops accepting more points and becomes animus. downside of this will be that it's a no brainer which stat to stack and the whole thing is pointless.

on the other more likely hand, everyone's animus looks the same at the end and everytyhing continues to be boring.

Choice between boring and boring, unfortunately; there's always going to be a set best weapon. Needs to be more stuff like skillspeed breakpoints to make gearing slightly interesting. Also: skillspeed to actually be a decent stat.

Stuart444

Read this on reddit but based on the amount of myth to buy the oil (for the original relic), it looks like the conversion rate of Philo to Myth is 4 to 1 meaning 500 Myth from capping Philo before the patch?

It's enough for me to buy my myth armour for my DRG at least I guess.

WolvenOne

Read this on reddit but based on the amount of myth to buy the oil (for the original relic), it looks like the conversion rate of Philo to Myth is 4 to 1 meaning 500 Myth from capping Philo before the patch?

It's enough for me to buy my myth armour for my DRG at least I guess.

It'll be enough to get me within spitting distance of the Myth Cap then. Guess I could always do some Main Duty roulette to get the rest of the way, assuming they give out 300 Myth.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Trials of the Braves is a collection of sacred texts spanning nine books, each of which contains a series of objectives for enhancing your relic weapon atma. They can be acquired by exchanging Allagan tomestones with G'jusana at Revenant's Toll.

Each book will appear in the Key Items section of your inventory. By vanquishing all the foes listed therein with your relic weapon atma equipped, your weapon will undergo evolution.

Upon fulfilling the objectives of all nine books, your weapon will be ready to complete its evolution and become a relic weapon animus?one step closer to one of the transcendent Zodiac Weapons.

desu

The Trials of the Braves is a collection of sacred texts spanning nine books, each of which contains a series of objectives for enhancing your relic weapon atma. They can be acquired by exchanging Allagan tomestones with G'jusana at Revenant's Toll.

No wonder many people won't have this by 2.25 (in case they talk about new tombstones). "Useless" and maybe overly expensive weapon in a time where peolpe actually need good gear for new content. Will be interesting how expensive the Trials of the Braves are and how good the stats of the weapons.

WolvenOne

Each book will appear in the Key Items section of your inventory. By vanquishing all the foes listed therein with your relic weapon atma equipped, your weapon will undergo evolution.

Upon fulfilling the objectives of all nine books, your weapon will be ready to complete its evolution and become a relic weapon animus?one step closer to one of the transcendent Zodiac Weapons.

Ah, well, I wonder what kind of Tomes, and how many. Armor's a higher priority for Tanks like me, so if they're asking for Soldiery, it may be awhile before I can start this quest-line. >_>;;

Jinko

Pretty much, but no one is sure why he is there now. Well aside from Final Fantasy logic.

Makes sense,
didn't he give his life force to Bahamut or whatever

The stats on the new Thyrus suggests Atma is just a step before Animus which is weird because they're both i100, no?

I thought I read somewhere there was 2 paths when upgrading your relic.

Agree'd, yoshi always seems to underestimate how quickly we consume content though.

well, if they cost soldiery tomes (which they probably will.. ).. it'll be impossible to do the first part of the zodiac weapon quest while still trying to gear up for new coil due to the 450 tome cap per week.. (depending on what the books cost)

Aeana

A little longevity ain't so bad for something they are touting as something you are supposed to look forward to upgrading patch to patch.

I know. The things some people are saying are weird, especially considering that a couple of those people are the same people who complain about there being nothing to do in the game lately. If you want to be able to finish all of the content quickly, then you're not going to have anything to do when you're done with it.

BLCKATK

A lot of people have been asking for a system like this. I'm down. There are multiple paths of progression for this so bring it on!

Tabris

You know the issue with this relic progression by killing mobs thing is it introduces a lot of competition, unless they remove the "need X amount of damage / started damage at X amount before the kill counts".

I'll be curious to see how bad it is. I don't know what our specific world population is.

Jinko

I am for it if you can work at it without shitty restrictions, but if they gate it behind a choice between tome gear and weapon upgrades its guna be crap.

People will just get burnt out with that.

Aeana

You know the issue with this relic progression by killing mobs thing is it introduces a lot of competition, unless they remove the "need X amount of damage / started damage at X amount before the kill counts".

I'll be curious to see how bad it is. I don't know what our specific world population is.

It can't be worse than launch when people were competing for quest mobs. There were a couple of places where that was really awful, like the imps in the north part of Eastern Thanalan.

desu

I know. The things some people are saying are weird, especially considering that a couple of those people are the same people who complain about there being nothing to do in the game lately. If you want to be able to finish all of the content quickly, then you're not going to have anything to do when you're done with it.

Depends heavily on the stats and how expensive the weapons are. High Allagan is better than Zodiac (or Atma etc) right now, and secondary stats mean basically nothing in this game.

Aeana

Depends heavily on the stats and how expensive the weapons are. High Allagan is better than Zodiac (or Atma etc) right now, and secondary stats mean basically nothing in this game.

I'm not just talking about the weapon stuff. There were also people complaining about the requirement for the tank mounts, among other things. It's like people want to log in and finish everything in one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom