• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Question for all you end game grinders: How important is voice chat for coordinating stuff? I know in some other MMOs that its more or less mandatory while others are more lax on that front, depending on the people involved and player culture.
You don't have to talk, it's ok just to listen and communicate via text chat.

You're also welcome to post lewd manga I suppose. In the Ultros mumble onry though, dunno about other chats.

aceface

Question for all you end game grinders: How important is voice chat for coordinating stuff? I know in some other MMOs that its more or less mandatory while others are more lax on that front, depending on the people involved and player culture.

I'd say while not absolutely necessary, it is a huge advantage to have it for the hardest raids. A lot of raid groups will require you have voice chat available to join.

draw4wild

I think the Zodiac weapon quest gets a lot of flak, but I actually quite like the books (in general). I don't need a Stardust Rod Animus anytime soon since I expect I'll be getting a Laevateinn well, well before I can hope to finish the Animus anyway, but I do like having a background long-term project to keep me occupied. I'll be getting the mythology the books need anyway, and it's nice to every so often have the bit of variety that the book quests throw up - there's been a few times when I've felt bored and didn't really know what to do, and then realised that I could work on a book. I suppose the only thing that I really don't like about the books is that waiting for slow, slow FATEs that require gold participation is a dreadful experience, and the hunting log for each book can be a bit of a chore, but I like how they can send you to out-of-the-way places you rarely visit sometimes.

What's most frustrating for me is the seemingly randomness of the fates. While camping air supply, rude awakening popped 3 times right next to it, then when I needed rude awakening, air supply popped 3 times. And with how easy they made some of the fates now, if you're not camping the pop you won't get there in time for gold.

Same with the dungeons, I get totorak and cutters cry all the time in ll roulette but the second I need them for my book I start getting different dungeons

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

It helps a lot, but it's not necessary- I'm pretty sure the two best GAF Ultros raid groups have people who don't speak on the mic at all.

Voice chat is useful of course, but since you don't have to coordinate a 40-Man raid in XIV, text chat works just fine ;)

Madchad

doing turn 7 without voice chat is asking for trouble imo. so is turn 9 with the meteor placements unless you try your luck at running in a circle.

shouldnt have much of a issue with the rest of the games endgame stuff though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I see, so it varies from encounter to encounter.

I ask because my case is unique. I'm deaf, so mumble is absolutely a no-go for me and I just wanted to know how much that will be an obstacle for me if I decide to poopsock all the way to T9 or whatever.

Arsenic

The hell is up with this?

I know we can prioritize the order of the quests. That is a standard thing too. We should also be able to take them off as well if we like. That is a standard too. Look at the other responses to this as well.

The only one defending the lack of a simple, quality of life standard is you. I just posed a simple question. Especially after the recent QOL changes, it continues to baffle me why this simple one continues to go ignored.

I also don't see anything wrong with my other questions. If you have a problem with me, take it to PMs.

What beyond me is that they've have this feature in the beta and it worked well. Was even an option where you can limit the amount of quests that can be shown.

dramatis

I see, so it varies from encounter to encounter.

I ask because my case is unique. I'm deaf, so mumble is absolutely a no-go for me and I just wanted to know how much that will be an obstacle for me if I decide to poopsock all the way to T9 or whatever.
Even in endgame raids there's a lot of visual markers to tell you when certain attacks are coming. Watching the target's cast bar and things like that will give you the cues necessary to get into position.

In short, with endgame as it is currently designed, as long as you perform, you don't necessarily need to worry about what the rest of the party is screaming.

There are some fights where nobody knows what is going on (Crystal Tower) but that's ok, it's usually easy enough for everyone to faceroll.

IvorB

I would be lion if I said I weren't initially bullish about fishing up atma a second time round, but the scales fell from my eyes once it took me hours to get my maiden atma for this set and it was like ramming my head into a wall. I got pretty crabby about seeing crazy screenshots of things like people getting twins in a row. (Probably shouldn't have been looking at the official forums anyway, they're a real scorpion's nest and it really gets my goat how people can be so awful there). I just queued up some old Archer on Netflix, and settled down for a dreadful grind. It was ridiculously hot while I was doing it, about 30 degrees in my flat, and it would have really helped to have some kind of water-bearer there to keep me hydrated through the ordeal.

Oh I get it now. These are puns... clever... witty even. But sadly over my head. I haven't reached this point in the game.

IvorB

Yes, but it would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone every so often. Especially since there is 0 myth if you do the low level outside of roulette

For sure. The more birds you can kill with a stone the better. But considering the odds of getting the dungeon you want out of all those options it doesn't seem that feasibly to me.

I'm really enjoying the low level roulette actually. And 100 myth seems like a far bargain to me.

Wilsongt

CT 2 Bosses,

10463915_640550049367380_8882876085326542935_n.jpg

10372597_640550059367379_8545537251065849387_n.jpg

10374912_640550072700711_5307304868903130128_n.jpg

Hoped for Amon, yeah :D

Called it.

UncleBiz

Hi all, I started playing a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying my free month so I think I'm going to keep playing. Unfortunately I started on Mateus, which is completely desolate. What are some active NA servers? I've really enjoyed crafting so an active market would be nice :)

Jayhawk

Hi all, I started playing a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying my free month so I think I'm going to keep playing. Unfortunately I started on Mateus, which is completely desolate. What are some active NA servers? I've really enjoyed crafting so an active market would be nice :)

Ultros has the largest population of GAF members. You can check xivsoul.com for some numbers on different server populations.

Azrael

Xande being the final boss of Syrcus Tower means 2.5 will add the final CT raid. With Binding Coil wrapping up in 2.4, that means it's likely 2.5 is the last major pre-expansion and the expansion is coming around next spring.

Allard

Xande being the final boss of Syrcus Tower means 2.5 will add the final CT raid. With Binding Coil wrapping up in 2.4, that means it's likely 2.5 is the last major pre-expansion and the expansion is coming around next spring.

Yoshida mentioned Crystal Tower likely would go on beyond the inception of 3.0 and even mentioned the concept for the dungeon was 4 tiers long with potential to expand later. The 1st tier being the labyrinth we have already fought, the second tier coming up. We still have Eureka on top of the world of darkness stuff not to mention with the size of her Cloud of Darkness boss could easily be a single raid in itself (multi-part fight).

This is what he said during an interview shortly before 2.1 launched in regards to the amount of 'tiers' it has, there are also several other interviews that talk about how he thought Crystal Tower wouldn't be completed in time for the first expansion and would continue expanding in 3.0.

So, I have a few questions about Crystal Tower. First of all, one thing I noticed that you mentioned in the LIVE show was The Forbidden Land, Eureka. What kind of content are you planning for that?

Yoshida: If you've played FFIII, you might be able to imagine it to some extent. As you play through the Labyrinth of the Ancients, I wonder if you might be able to guess what I mean about Eureka.
Yoshida: It's just one. Basically this is like the first tier of the Crystal Tower. The Crystal Tower itself will be a four tiered structure, but the amount of content in each tier is different than the amount of content in one turn of the Binding Coil.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/11...with-Yoshida?p=5981517&viewfull=1#post5981517

Well, if anyone is interested at all, I still have a FFXIV:ARR Collector's Edition PC Key. $25 for anyone that's interested. Might as well see if anyone else can get a use out of it, friend ended up not really caring to play, so I'm a bit stuck with it and such.

This is honestly why I stopped playing.

I made it to Titan Hard Mode for the relic weapon quest. Took many public runs but I finally won. About after 5 tries though I had the realization that "this is how the game is going to be" and it was not fun anymore for me. As much as I enjoyed everything up to that point that prospective gameplay was not what I was looking for in endgame.

I like playing the game but the reasons for failing coming from lag and or frame drops just killed my personal interest. Having to watch a friend who already has crappy internet and playing the PS3 version get mauled by tremors over and over and knowing there was nothing she could do about it -shakes head- nope.

Keep wanting to play and almost resub a few times a week but the thought of all the content post Titan HM in terms of fights and items just makes me mad. Maybe something significant will change or I something cool will change my mind in the future.

I almost did quit.. not because i couldnt do it because the PS4 is as smooth as a baby skin but that alot of people out there play on a shity PC or PS3 and indeed cant handle that fight.

altho.. there are alot of people out there with brain lag too..

if you dont have a good FC or static that stuff can take ages.

the PS3 version had nothing to do with your or your friends inability to do dodge. moving from wireless to a wired connection will help solving most connection issues. many people don't know about that.

2.0 was truly terrible for Titan HM. i remember people quitting over squares terrible char. positioning update times. this is no longer an issue.

Teknoman

Hmmm...i find myself interested in FF3 now so I can fight Hein.

Shame about that remake...=/

Buy the Famicom game, have it translated, get a famicom converter.

or buy a english repro.

EDIT: I wish they werent all Allaganized. but then again maybe they wont be set to permaglow.

I think Yoshida shouldnt have made the wolf heads look like narwhals.

tenchir

If they are going to use bosses from previous Final Fantasy games, then it would be awesome if they use the boss theme from those games.

MNK is really fun...I can see how it might get a little complicated but it doesn't sound so bad if you work at it. Shoulder Tackle is one of most satisfy attack to use...

Guys, if you got in the Destiny Alpha and you haven't played it, it's only until Sunday. Get in there and check it out, it's like they made Halo into an MMO and it's fucking awesome

iammeiam

So after buying an absurdly long Ethernet cable and dragging my PS4 to another room, I can now consistently dodge up to the bombs post-heart phase and generally die last, to granite sepulcher, in Titan EX. Either I'm having an uncommonly good day, or the PS4 wifi lag is literally game-breaking for me in EX.

I am pretty happy right now, despite having nothing but wipes all evening--it really was external lag, and not brain lag. No idea how long it will take to learn the whole fight, but at least I won't feel compelled to drop out after a few deaths to keep from weighing the whole group down.

So after buying an absurdly long Ethernet cable and dragging my PS4 to another room, I can now consistently dodge up to the bombs post-heart phase and generally die last, to granite sepulcher, in Titan EX. Either I'm having an uncommonly good day, or the PS4 wifi lag is literally game-breaking for me in EX.

I am pretty happy right now, despite having nothing but wipes all evening--it really was external lag, and not brain lag. No idea how long it will take to learn the whole fight, but at least I won't feel compelled to drop out after a few deaths to keep from weighing the whole group down.

i can assure you the lag is from wireless. i did the same test 2-3 weeks ago on the PS4 for the first time. the results were unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom