• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Item Box

Just out of curiosity, do most people have one character and level up multiple jobs or do you guys have 2 or 3 characters?

2 characters, one with half of the classes I intend to level, and an alt on another server with the other half because ocd, seriously.

LowParry

M'kay. I'm moving over to Ultros to join GAF. Who do I need to speak to?

Edit: Alright. I swear I know how to read. Submitted.

Anything got announced/shown for this at E3?

Edit: I meant job/expansion wise.

Nothing expansion wise, Yoshida claimed they planned to talk more about that during the fan festivals in October.

Class/job wise they announced Rogue (class), and Ninja (job) for release during patch 2.4.

Jijidasu

Thought it might be a good idea to make a post on here to help spread the word, the GAF group (well, it's just two of us) are looking for able-bodied, dedicated players to join us for our static raid group on Durandal server (Japanese server).

We are all busy in the real world with families and work but we believe that you don't need to throw yourself head first at a wall several times a week to break it down, and it's worked for us in the past with going once a week and we were one of the first groups to clear the old coil. As of now, the schedule will be 8PM PST on a Saturday for a few hours.

If anyone is interested please let me know in a PM and I'll give out more information.

Kandinsky

Nothing expansion wise, Yoshida claimed they planned to talk more about that during the fan festivals in October.

Class/job wise they announced Rogue (class), and Ninja (job) for release during patch 2.4.

Omg, any trailer/footage?!!?

*goes to google*

Edit: Nin looks cooool.

WolvenOne

Any PS4 players got a solution to not being able to click on links people put in the chat window?

At the moment I'm having to type them into my laptop manually which isn't ideal.

This is a common complaint I hear from PS4/3 players, but, so far I haven't heard of any work around.

This is actually the one thing that prevents me from setting up shop on my PS4, at least as the primary format for this game.

Just out of curiosity, do most people have one character and level up multiple jobs or do you guys have 2 or 3 characters?

Only 1 month in, got only 1 character. Want a 2nd one after I get all my crafting up to a good level to help sponsor the alt ... but I want my alt to be the new race and on a different server for RPing and I have no clue when a new race is coming or how to change races once there is one ;/

Three for the weekend:

CFUmPbG.jpg
Bravura Animus

Maelstrom Escutcheon (got this by surprise)

Level 50 Weaver

Me and Jalzahn are totally besties now.

Speaking of Jalzahn. I finally finish collecting those damned ATMAS and he converts my weapon and tells me to enjoy it's new power, except it's exactly the same,except for the ilvl. What the fuck? I know I can do the books to upgrade it further, but after all that talk I was expecting a little upgrade. He even has the gall of asking me how I'm liking the new power.

Oh and he forgot to bring the books, so this other chick is extorting 1500 myth out of each. I feel like strangling both right now.

Tabris

Man, it is so demoralizing and frustrating beating your head against a Second Coil turn. At least losing to T9 constantly wouldn't be so bad as you just got 9 items for everyone that week. We're getting beat down by T7 for the last 4 weeks (3-4hrs every week between 2 days), so it's just 2 items a week. 8 items so far (T6 4 weeks in a row), at least everyone but me has gotten an item for their main and I got an item for my alt, so that's not as bad. But soo frustrating.

The other frustrating thing is I don't know how to solve it. We know the strat. Our gear / DPS is fine. It's just single mistakes occurring every single run that wipe us.

Any tips on not letting it frustrate you? I am being super negative about it due to the frustration and I don't think it's helping the team either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

One character. Not sure why having multiple characters would be beneficial anyway.

Ken

Any tips on not letting it frustrate you? I am being super negative about it due to the frustration and I don't think it's helping the team either.

Stop counting loot for a start.

Have you considered setting up a video recording program like OBS to replay failed attempts if you're not sure what's tripping you up the most?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Man, it is so demoralizing and frustrating beating your head against a Second Coil turn. At least losing to T9 constantly wouldn't be so bad as you just got 9 items for everyone that week. We're getting beat down by T7 for the last 4 weeks (3-4hrs every week between 2 days), so it's just 2 items a week. 8 items so far (T6 4 weeks in a row), at least everyone but me has gotten an item for their main and I got an item for my alt, so that's not as bad. But soo frustrating.

The other frustrating thing is I don't know how to solve it. We know the strat. Our gear / DPS is fine. It's just single mistakes occurring every single run that wipe us.

What do you guys keep wiping to?

Tabris

Stop counting loot for a start.

Have you considered setting up a video recording program like OBS to replay failed attempts if you're not sure what's tripping you up the most?

Yeah we generally know what's killing us. Also loot is often the motivation factor after having done the fight so many times that the challenge enjoyment is gone (i.e. not going in T7 anymore for the fun of the fight. We want progress and items) and it's just frustration over people fucking up mechanics we know already.

What do you guys keep wiping to?

Same general small mistakes that are magnified on T7. Positional awareness, tabbing and hitting a renaud, not getting to add fast enough / losing hate, putting stacks on adds, shriek awareness (even when being called out), panic at petrification, and as part of that, getting flustered with multiple things happening at the same time. Honestly, it's all reactionary mistakes that just take practice for the team to get out. Just frustrating when we are making the same type of mistakes over and over.

Ken

Same general small mistakes that are magnified on T7. Positional awareness, tabbing and hitting a renaud, not getting to add fast enough / losing hate, putting stacks on adds, shriek awareness (even when being called out), and panic at petrification. Honestly, it's all reactionary mistakes that just take practice for the team to get out. Just frustrating when we are making the same type of mistakes over and over.

Most of that shouldn't be happening anymore with the amount of time you say you put into it though. Sounds like some fundamental misunderstandings of the fight mechanics more than anything,

Ex. You list stacks on adds as a mistake but it's really not a big deal. And the tank should have figured out how best to take adds in one or two sessions honestly.

Tabris

I am also sooo tired of saying "Voice" lol

My neighbour must think I have some kind of condition as I'm saying voice often, broken up by shriek, renaud, and add.

EDIT - I've said voice so much I don't even need to look at progress bar to know when to say it.

Tabris

Most of that shouldn't be happening anymore with the amount of time you say you put into it though. Sounds like some fundamental misunderstandings of the fight mechanics more than anything,

Everyone knows the fight mechanics and how to address those. It's about reacting to the mechanic that's the issue now.

Some people don't react fast enough yet. I don't know how to solve that except just more practice. As it just takes one person making mistakes to wipe an attempt in T7.

BadRNG

Dat assumption that all the loot will be useable. I would not focus too much on the loot aspect, it's not like you're a hardcore progression group going for world first, loot will come in time both from drops and soldiery. If we let lack of desired loot get us down our casters would of committed sudoku by now.

Since it is T7 I am guessing the single mistakes are people not turning around for petrify. The enrage timer on that fight is ridiculously lenient, if you feel you need to then have people turn around for it well before the buff should fire off. You can enlarge UI elements to make sure you're always watching for your debuff, and for shrieks or petrifaction we call out on mumble who has it or to turn around. Most of the time everyone will catch it on their own but during a chaotic phase it doesn't hurt to be cautious. The fight is 100% about keeping your cool and being aware of what is going on around you.

My only advice on the frustration end is to take each phase as if it is it's own separate fight, and don't concern yourself with the win or what comes next. Focus completely on getting that phase down and moving from there, eventually that phase will be second nature and you'll wonder why it was ever an issue. Any progress should be celebrated, and having realistic goals is good. Finally, learn to take breaks or call it if it's not working. Sometimes you just have an off night and forcing it will only make you feel worse. Or sometimes someone in the group is half asleep and needs to go get some coffee/splash some water in their eyes/stop watching the NBA finals and getting himself shrieked out in middle of nowhere.

Also serious negativity definitely doesn't do anyone any good. My group has some self-derision jokes often enough but most of the time the mood is pretty light hearted, we don't take the progression goal too seriously until we're near a win and we get all hyped up and crap. If you feel frustrated or let a bad night get to you, you're not going to be able to play well and the negativity will rub off on the group. Not taking the fight too seriously/caring much about the win is important imo. We had a REALLY bad T9 night not too long ago, like awful, and we decided to call it after one more attempt to not waste the food buff. We ended up doing really well, and decided to stay for more and saw some progression. No longer expecting anything made it so much simpler somehow.

I think I am beginning to ramble now (it's late and I'm half asleep), but tl:dr is don't take it so seriously and try and have fun. If it's getting to you then take a break and regroup when you've calmed down.

Some people don't react fast enough yet. I don't know how to solve that except just more practice. As it just takes one person making mistakes to wipe an attempt in T7.
Make them practice their reflexes with MGR:R on Revenegeance mode or some twitch shooters. Works every time.

Tabris

Yeah, good tips there. We had a run today where a couple people were really having an off night and we should have just called it earlier instead of trying to force it. We actually went backwards today, as we couldn't even get to Phase 4, like the day before we did a couple times. I just hate all the weeks going by without progress.

Ken

Everyone knows the fight mechanics and how to address those. It's about reacting to the mechanic that's the issue now.

You can usually feel out when stuff is about to occur (like with Petrifactions and shrieks) so everyone just be proactive if they can't be reactive!

Tabris

You can usually feel out when stuff is about to occur (like with Petrifactions and shrieks) so everyone just be proactive if they can't be reactive!

I'm trying to teach the pattern by on some runs saying "and now renaud will be popping soon, and now a voice will be coming up" to help but we didn't practice being proactive totally. I'll try to go through exact pattern again with everyone and that may help for being proactive. It's good advice.

Off topic question - Does anyone have the break down of materia required for curtana and shield scrolls? It's 13 / 9 shield and 31 / 22 curtana, but what breakdown is that for 1, 2, 3, and 4 level materia?

Mesharey

Yeah, good tips there. We had a run today where a couple people were really having an off night and we should have just called it earlier instead of trying to force it. We actually went backwards today, as we couldn't even get to Phase 4, like the day before we did a couple times. I just hate all the weeks going by without progress.
Time for a break maybe, return after the update?

Enjolras

Neo Member
Managed to get Garuda Ex down last night finally - that's been sitting in my quest log since March. Feels like a weight has been lifted! The best part was the random healers that we picked up actually sticking with us, and seeing the improvements each run - and then 4 of us got the achievement at the end of that run.

Now it's time to try and memorise that Titan Ex rotation - any tips?

Semper88

Managed to get Garuda Ex down last night finally - that's been sitting in my quest log since March. Feels like a weight has been lifted! The best part was the random healers that we picked up actually sticking with us, and seeing the improvements each run - and then 4 of us got the achievement at the end of that run.

Now it's time to try and memorise that Titan Ex rotation - any tips?

Whaha.. i wish you the best of luck you'll need it.

Garuda EX is a walk in the park compared to the rock turd.

My tip : get some awesome people together and put them in a linkshell and try to run it with them and only them. When it comes to Titan EX there is no room for error. Every death leads into a wipe and most deaths are the ones that you can't recover from because the bodies are down in a ditch :)

Enjolras

Neo Member
Dodge Landslides.
I guess that is the most important thing, since there's no coming back from them! Though, as tank I'm gonna have to pick up adds/tank swap as well.

Whaha.. i wish you the best of luck you'll need it.

Garuda EX is a walk in the park compared to the rock turd.

My tip : get some awesome people together and put them in a linkshell and try to run it with them and only them. When it comes to Titan EX there is no room for error. Every death leads into a wipe and most deaths are the ones that you can't recover from because the bodies are down in a ditch :)
Oh god, don't say that! I added the really cool people from the Garuda runs of misery, and the plan was to go straight into Titan last night - but it was getting late, and two of the DPS hadn't seen anything about the fight, so we're regrouping tonight.

It's great that we managed to get a fair number of experienced people in the party yesterday though - even if it seems there were about 3 different strategies that we had to switch between. Party Finder really can be a tool for good.

IMBored

Speaking of Jalzahn. I finally finish collecting those damned ATMAS and he converts my weapon and tells me to enjoy it's new power, except it's exactly the same,except for the ilvl. What the fuck? I know I can do the books to upgrade it further, but after all that talk I was expecting a little upgrade. He even has the gall of asking me how I'm liking the new power.

Oh and he forgot to bring the books, so this other chick is extorting 1500 myth out of each. I feel like strangling both right now.

You'll get an il upgrade and like it >: I like how he says the books are common on his country, and the book chick says they are trash and then charges 1.5K for it, extortion I tell you.

Also, Moogle EX is the hidden hardest fight of the game. They lul you over with their cuteness and charming music and then bam, delta-meteor-rain of death.

Semper88

I guess that is the most important thing, since there's no coming back from them! Though, as tank I'm gonna have to pick up adds/tank swap as well.

Oh god, don't say that! I added the really cool people from the Garuda runs of misery, and the plan was to go straight into Titan last night - but it was getting late, and two of the DPS hadn't seen anything about the fight, so we're regrouping tonight.

It's great that we managed to get a fair number of experienced people in the party yesterday though - even if it seems there were about 3 different strategies that we had to switch between. Party Finder really can be a tool for good.

I'm a warrior, tanking the turd is pretty relaxing tho there are a few moments you need to get off your spot to dodge a slide and then get back in again. next to that there is tank swap but thats a cake walk.

the add's can be tricky due the fact that they landslide as well so never point them at the group also when they die they leave slowing pool of lava you need to get out of the way before it dies incase a landslide will be cast on the!

next to that.. you need a shit load of luck that noone screws up. After titan EX Ifrit and Levi are a breeze :)

Also, Moogle EX is the hidden hardest fight of the game. They lul you over with their cuteness and charming music and then bam, delta-meteor-rain of death.

I find it a really fun fight because it's got this weird combination of actually being very simple but looking very chaotic on the surface, yet also being extremely unforgiving. I realise this makes no sense, which is why I called it a weird combination. It's hard to describe but what they've done with it is really clever. I've cleared it several times as tank and DPS, and I like how it's one of those rare fights that makes you sweat a little and get your wiggle on as a tank, particularly if you're holding Whiskerwall for that nasty bind/poison combo. It's pretty fun as BLM too. Enjoy your Mograin of Death guys, I've got Manawall. :V

Spent a couple of hours wiping on it last night and it didn't bother me at all because I was just enjoying it for being such a loopy fight with generally spectacular wipes. Only downside is that the music can slowly drive you insane.

Evil.
Actually I like the fight so much I stayed up until 3am because of it. Really feeling the downside of that today.

Oh, I guess we were in the same group then, since that's my situation too. Before I signed up for helping out with Thornmarch I was in the middle of staying up late to finish my last Animus book. Current status: knackered; necking Elixir.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I took a break from my DRG's myth grind to level other classes. Been really having a good time learning other classes up to 15. It leaves me more prepared for future jobs, sure, but it's also really fun to check out how different all the classes are.

I actually recommend people who are new to the game do that once they've gotten their first job to 50 and have gotten most of their myth gear.

Man, the CG intro really never gets old does it?

Mesharey

Stoneskin, is it really important for Paladin in lvl 50?
I finished everything except Primals extreme and coils 5+, don't know if it's worth it to lvl up my conjurer to lvl 34.

Stoneskin, is it really important for Paladin in lvl 50?
I finished everything except Primals extreme and coils 5+, don't know if it's worth it to lvl up my conjurer to lvl 34.

Its definitely helpful in some fights when I'm healing the raid or what not and the Paladin has off time its nice to have some extra mitigation on him since every little bit helps especially when clearing content the first time.

draw4wild

Off topic question - Does anyone have the break down of materia required for curtana and shield scrolls? It's 13 / 9 shield and 31 / 22 curtana, but what breakdown is that for 1, 2, 3, and 4 level materia?

Everything I've read on Novus is you can take the amount you need and divide by 4. Any time there needs to be rounding it's done at level 1 so for example when you need 31 of a stat it's 7,8,8,8. This is just from reading topics on reddit tho and not personal experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom