• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Feverishly leveling every class to 15 because I'm unable to predict what NIN is going to need as a sub class.

Enjolras

Neo Member
I'm a warrior, tanking the turd is pretty relaxing tho there are a few moments you need to get off your spot to dodge a slide and then get back in again. next to that there is tank swap but thats a cake walk.

the add's can be tricky due the fact that they landslide as well so never point them at the group also when they die they leave slowing pool of lava you need to get out of the way before it dies incase a landslide will be cast on the!

next to that.. you need a shit load of luck that noone screws up. After titan EX Ifrit and Levi are a breeze :)
For the adds, you pretty much want to pull them off to one of the sides, right? It looks a lot more relaxing on the tanks than Garuda, at least - well, from the videos I was watching.

Luck is something I might have overused recently - but there's only one way to find out if I've still got any reserves. All I think I need is a party that doesn't instantly disband if there's one screwup - and one experienced person saying "That's wrong, do that instead". I'm just hoping I don't get a bout of EU lag tonight!

I'm looking forward to them! Levi Ex especially looks like a lot of fun.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Out of curiosity bought a PS4 version.
Can't say I'm all that happy with it. I don't mind pad controls for the hotbar as much anymore, even if they are kinda clunkier than regular old hotbar, but everything else is pretty tough to get used to. SE did a good job in adapting the controls but ultimately the UI is still very much KBM-aimed. Plus if you want to see anything at all every UI element has to be enlarged significantly, not sure if I'm a big fan of that.
Oh and FPS in Revtoll is just terrible.

By the by, there's practically no gil tellers on Ceberus! So good.
And also a lot more party finders, active mostly around the clock, something I've never really seen on Ultros that much.

IvorB

Out of curiosity bought a PS4 version.
Can't say I'm all that happy with it. I don't mind pad controls for the hotbar as much anymore, even if they are kinda clunkier than regular old hotbar, but everything else is pretty tough to get used to. SE did a good job in adapting the controls but ultimately the UI is still very much KBM-aimed. Plus if you want to see anything at all every UI element has to be enlarged significantly, not sure if I'm a big fan of that.

Really? I reduced every single UI element to one above the minimum. Not sure why you need to enlarge them as the default is way too big.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Really? I reduced every single UI element to one above the minimum. Not sure why you need to enlarge them as the default is way too big.

Too difficult to read. Have a 39" TV but... yeah, I've killed my eyesight pretty much.

Tabris

So how often do people run Coil runs on Ultros and can a new guy like me who's been up to Coil 5 get in with a group?

It can be very tough to put together a group, and then you need to start working as a team which takes a while to build chemistry. You usually have to have a leader who's committed to doing the following:

1) Finding members
2) Scheduling the runs
3) Planning the strat
4) Explaining the strat before hand
5) Voicing the strat in battle
6) Adjusting the strat based on player's strengths and weaknesses.

It's either going to be 30 ROG / 15 PUG or 30 ROG / 15 BLM

I actually have both to 15+. Come to think of it I have every dps class leveled to 15 or more so I'll be screwed if it's a tank or healer sub class. If it's thm though you'd probably gonna have to level it up to 26 for max effect.

IvorB

I was off sick from work today I logged on to do my LL roulette quickly. As the level loaded I was thinking: something easy and brainless please. The game sends me to... Qarn ha ha! It's not as scary as I remember it but it's definitely on a different level to most of the other earlier dungeons.

Mesharey

Sudden death mechanics are so annoying. :(
I read that they will change it, but I don't remember is it in the next update or later?

Why is there a count down with Ultima's bane fight. :(

Wilsongt

I was off sick from work today I logged on to do my LL roulette quickly. As the level loaded I was thinking: something easy and brainless please. The game sends me to... Qarn ha ha! It's not as scary as I remember it but it's definitely on a different level to most of the other earlier dungeons.

Qarn <3

iammeiam

I read that they will change it, but I don't remember is it in the next update or later?

I've never been in a group that hit Ultima's enrage--echo usually boosts groups so that DPS is the least of the problems on that fight. It's all about dodging and orbs, and wiping to those things until echo makes you basically immortal.

I don't think I've read anything about them removing enrage timers, though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

There's an enrage in Ultima HM? The more you know!
I guess if most of your dps die to the third set of boons...

LowParry

They do runs occasionally and always check PF too.

And why is MNK so much fun? Only 8 levels to breakdancing...

Monk are pretty badass. Their animations are probably the best out of all the classes. Lala's are particularly awesome at this :D

But I joined up as a cat. Cats are cool, right?

LowParry

But she's so pretty. Even the wife approves.

qso0O9m.png

iammeiam

What's this enrage thing? :/

Bosses often have an enrage timer--you start fighting them, after X minutes, if the fight's still going, the boss enrages and starts unloading some uber-mechanic designed to wipe the party. It's designed to force a certain minimum DPS on the party to win. Ultima's enrage is to cast Ultima, and wipe you if you take too long. Titan EX will cast an upheaval that tosses everyone off the arena, I think.

Turn 2 of Coil has a survivable enrage--the boss goes nuts with raid-wide AOE that (with echo) can be healed through long enough to kill it; exploiting this enrage is now how most people beat it because it's easymode. So I'd expect to see more insta-wipe enrages going forward, not less, to prevent T2 repeats.

Mesharey

Bosses often have an enrage timer--you start fighting them, after X minutes, if the fight's still going, the boss enrages and starts unloading some uber-mechanic designed to wipe the party. It's designed to force a certain minimum DPS on the party to win. Ultima's enrage is to cast Ultima, and wipe you if you take too long. Titan EX will cast an upheaval that tosses everyone off the arena, I think.

Turn 2 of Coil has a survivable enrage--the boss goes nuts with raid-wide AOE that (with echo) can be healed through long enough to kill it; exploiting this enrage is now how most people beat it because it's easymode. So I'd expect to see more insta-wipe enrages going forward, not less, to prevent T2 repeats.
Huh,that's so annoying, kill everyone because they took too long? -.-"

I played with 2 different teams, and reached the count down. :(
I'm a tank and I can handle his attacks (il 86).

Can I use tanks LB to reduce the damage?

aceface

Huh,that's so annoying, kill everyone because they took too long? -.-"

I played with 2 different teams, and reached the count down. :(
I'm a tank and I can handle his attacks (il 86).

Can I use tanks LB to reduce the damage?

You should use the tank lb right before everyone runs into that last set of orbs. Then everyone will survive and you can easily dps it down before the enrage. It's pretty much the only time the tank lb is useful in the whole game.

Mesharey

You should use the tank lb right before everyone runs into that last set of orbs. Then everyone will survive and you can easily dps it down before the enrage. It's pretty much the only time the tank lb is useful in the whole game.
Hmmm, I'll try it tomorrow, but can I use the LB to reduce enrage damage after the count down or it's wipe anyway? (Ultima?)

aceface

Hmmm, I'll try it tomorrow, but can I use the LB to reduce enrage damage after the count down or it's wipe anyway? (Ultima?)

No, you're gonna wipe if it hits the enrage, lb or no. Hit the tank lb as he's charging his last set of aetheric booms, then people should be able to run into them without dying.

iammeiam

How close to finishing Ultima have you been when he starts casting? If he's almost dead, you shouldn't have an LB by that point since it should already have be used on the last set of orbs as aceface mentioned (the orbs being an instant wipe mechanic, and the last set having so many you're going to need DPS to eat the damage, hence LB.) If you're not hitting the last set of orbs before he starts casting, you're dealing with a not insignificant DPS shortfall and might want to start paying attention to how long it's taking to push phases. Garuda should only show up and AOE once or twice, at the start of the fight. If she's showing up three or four times, it's a sign you're going to run out of time later.

Mesharey

Thank you, we were so close after the orbs (survived it with the 2 teams), I'll try it tomorrow and hopefully I can finish it with good team.

Mupod

aceface

well, at least it's confirmed that you can get wolf marks and exp in there.

Nice that I won't need to run dungeons for soldiery anymore, too.

Still not clear what role the grand companies play in this. Do you just get assigned to a team or is it really going to restrict you from playing with certain people because they are in a different GC?

I'm guessing you just get assigned to a random GC team. It wouldn't make sense otherwise, it would be too tough matching people with the same GC affiliation in duty finder and I can't imagine they would restrict the teams you could put together either based on GC.

bunbun777

Oh I haven't been able to log in for 3 days, longest since I started playing. Imagine all the fun stuff going on. I should be home Wednesday.

Redx508

Mounts
Players are free to use mounts on the Frontline. However, players taking damage while mounted will be inflicted with the Heavy status effect

that's going be fun

WolvenOne

Finally died on a Mysterious Map, crap.

Tanks are at little risk for most of those, but, man that bomb one can get you if you're not paying attention. You need to fire off your defensive CD's when they're about to blow. :p

With one of our tanks being on vacation for another 2 weeks or so, we're currently looking for a temp tank to help us ride through Coil2.

Anyone interested in filling that spot contact me @ Mira Mora, Aeana (Tiv Einsfell) or TheDancingWatermelon (Odoru Suika). PMs are fine if you can't find us in game.

We're not asking you to be an expert or anything, but we do expect you to have a little understanding of Turns 6-8 mechanics and a decent mix of i90/Soldiery gear. Also, don't worry about any loot restrictions as there won't be any; if you can wear it, you can roll for it.

PS: This is for Ultros.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
With one of our tanks being on vacation for another 2 weeks or so, we're currently looking for a temp tank to help us ride through Coil2.

Anyone interested in filling that spot contact me @ Mira Mora, Aeana (Tiv Einsfell) or TheDancingWatermelon (Odoru Suika). PMs are fine if you can't find us in game.

We're not asking you to be an expert or anything, but we do expect you to have a little understanding of Turns 6-8 mechanics and a decent mix of i90/Soldiery gear. Also, don't worry about any loot restrictions as there won't be any; if you can wear it, you can roll for it.

Hasn't Mu Pod carried you all to Turn 12 yet with his bear suit? He's fired.

I will make you tank in your jazzercise outfit while I heal.

Winter John

I've been playing this for about a month and a half on the PS4, I've stuck to the mage classes, so thought I'd try the tank class for a change. Are there any guides for newbs that have rotations and stuff in them? Looked around but all I could find was stuff for Paladins and higher lvls.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been playing this for about a month and a half on the PS4, I've stuck to the mage classes, so thought I'd try the tank class for a change. Are there any guides for newbs that have rotations and stuff in them? Looked around but all I could find was stuff for Paladins and higher lvls.

Why not just feel it out by playing for a bit? You're sure to gain a greater appreciation for individual skills if you just try it out yourself first, then look at guides and stuff when you get into the serious stuff.

Glad you can earn myth and soldiery via Frontlines. I'm more likely to play rounds as a result. Looking forward to checking this out. I hope queues aren't too bad.

Mounts
Players are free to use mounts on the Frontline. However, players taking damage while mounted will be inflicted with the Heavy status effect

that's going be fun

That is going to be hilarious when people get picked off by DRG jumps.

Number45

As said, feel your way as you level.

This is a great resource for the higher level stuff, maximising your enmity etc.

WolvenOne

Being able to earn Myth via PVP, does indeed make me far more likely to play it. Hopefully it drops a decent amount, I need some other worthwhile activity besides Brayflox and CT to earn Myth with.

Granted, I may very well bite at PVP. I don't really have a killer instinct, so to speak. XD

Winter John

Why not just feel it out by playing for a bit? You're sure to gain a greater appreciation for individual skills if you just try it out yourself first, then look at guides and stuff when you get into the serious stuff.

I have been, I just want to be a little bit more prepared for when I take him into the first dungeon is all. I think it's better to have a little knowledge than to rush into a dungeon and waste other people's time by having a bad rotation or not knowing when to use flash properly

Number45

I have been, I just want to be a little bit more prepared for when I take him into the first dungeon is all. I think it's better to have a little knowledge than to rush into a dungeon and waste other people's time by having a bad rotation or not knowing when to use flash properly
I would be prepared for the first several dungeons to be a little bit chaotic. While levelling I had issues with enmity (I mark religiously) and the tools at your disposal are limited. With defiance at 30 all of those problems practically disappeared (until 50 when you start to get paired with hugely overpowered DPS/healers). Have fun though! I love tanking in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom