• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter John

I would be prepared for the first several dungeons to be a little bit chaotic. While levelling I had issues with enmity (I mark religiously) and the tools at your disposal are limited. With defiance at 30 all of those problems practically disappeared (until 50 when you start to get paired with hugely overpowered DPS/healers). Have fun though! I love tanking in this game.

My mage class is a Hyur Midlander. Would Paladin fit onto that, or would it be best to start a new character as a Roegadyn?

Number45

My mage class is a Hyur Midlander. Would Paladin fit onto that, or would it be best to start a new character as a Roegadyn?
I'm the same (female no less). It looks fine. :)

If you're male, maybe you won't hate the soldiery chest either.

EDIT: I took this as an appearance thing, but as above the stats make no difference. Go with a character you like the look of.

IvorB

Yeah it's pretty great. I think when everyone realised where we were we knew we had to pull together. There were a few wipes here and there but it was a pretty great run all-in-all

How close to finishing Ultima have you been when he starts casting? If he's almost dead, you shouldn't have an LB by that point since it should already have be used on the last set of orbs as aceface mentioned (the orbs being an instant wipe mechanic, and the last set having so many you're going to need DPS to eat the damage, hence LB.) If you're not hitting the last set of orbs before he starts casting, you're dealing with a not insignificant DPS shortfall and might want to start paying attention to how long it's taking to push phases. Garuda should only show up and AOE once or twice, at the start of the fight. If she's showing up three or four times, it's a sign you're going to run out of time later.

Wait... Garuda??? She shows up in someone else's fight?

Number45

Yeah it's pretty great. I think when everyone realised where we were we knew we had to pull together. There were a few wipes here and there but it was a pretty great run all-in-all

Wait... Garuda??? She shows up in someone else's fight?
As you progress through the story this will make sense.

Mesharey

I've been playing this for about a month and a half on the PS4, I've stuck to the mage classes, so thought I'd try the tank class for a change. Are there any guides for newbs that have rotations and stuff in them? Looked around but all I could find was stuff for Paladins and higher lvls.
Spam flash.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's my current strat. Shield Throw, lay on two "stacks" of Flash, proceed to hit things alternating between main and side targets.

I've gotten a commend from almost all of my runs so far but I'm a tank so this is probably natural.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's my current strat. Shield Throw, lay on two "stacks" of Flash, proceed to hit things alternating between main and side targets.

I've gotten a commend from almost all of my runs so far but I'm a tank so this is probabpy natural.

N-No... Q_Q

IvorB

As you progress through the story this will make sense.

Cool. I'll be happy to see her. She brings the good times.

Think it's time to power through the end of the story. I got a lot of mileage out of Wander's Palace but I think I need some new dungeons and get access to all the post-story content. Still I have the two most expensive pieces (robe and pants) from the Revenant's Toll lady now so it's all good.

I guess infiltrating Castrum Centri is near the end right?

Things to do during Story Roulette queues #1034:

umwMHPU.jpg

NeOak

These are scrub tier runs (sub level 30) so I assume they're from people leveling Healer alts who appreciate a tank who knows how to faceroll Flash.
You would be surprised at how many people won't use fucking flash :c

Also, marriage system: Anything new besides the bride costume tease? Will it be like FFXI in terms of gameplay? (as in, doesn't affect at all)

Haly

You would be surprised at how many people won't use fucking flash :c

Yeah I don't get it, it's like AoE Maim with damage reduction what's not to like?

I was facerolling my way through my first Santansha run just pressing buttons and Flash as a Gladiator and the healer actually complimented my tanking saying how easy his job was with a tank that can hold threat.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah I don't get it, it's like AoE Maim with damage reduction what's not to like?

I was facerolling my way through my first Santansha run just pressing buttons and Flash as a Gladiator and the healer actually complimented my tanking saying how easy his job was with a tank that can hold threat.

Uh, flash doesn't add damage nor does it reduce damage nor does it do damage.

Haly

Uh, flash doesn't add damage nor does it reduce damage nor does it do damage.

I leave the damage to the DPS.

Enmity = damage for me.

It causes Blind, Blind = damage reduction.

And here I am, wasting my time leveling crafting like a chump.
Maybe that's because I'm a brd and my qeue time is 20m at best, while you're a tank, and only have to wait 20 seconds.

I was queued as a DPS because I never learnt to speed run the story dungeons and I didn't want the group raging on me. :V

Haly

I really don't. Semantic debates are the bane of forum discussion.

Anyway I get what you were talking about now. I didn't mean to say Enmity = Damage. I meant, figuratively, Enmity is the Tank's "damage". DPS try to make their DPS bar go up faster than the other DPSs' bars. I'm trying to make my EPS bar go up faster than everyone else's EPS bar. In this sense, I'm doing the same thing the DPS is, just making numbers go up, which can be interpreted as a kind of "damage" to a hidden "enmity" healthbar.

When tanking, the entire damage portions of my hotbar might as well say "increase enmity", and it just comes down to how I want to distribute it around. Maim is nothing more than "deal slightly more Enmity than Flash but to one target".

Alucrid

Banned
I really don't. Semantic debates are the bane of forum discussion.

Anyway I get what you were talking about now. I didn't mean to say Enmity = Damage. I meant, figuratively, Enmity is the Tank's "damage". DPS try to make their DPS bar go up faster than the other DPSs' bars. I'm trying to make my EPS bar go up faster than everyone else's EPS bar. In this sense, I'm doing the same thing the DPS is, just making numbers go up, which can be interpreted as a kind of "damage" to a hidden "enmity" healthbar.

When tanking, the entire damage portions of my hotbar might as well say "increase enmity", and it just comes down to how I want to distribute it around. Maim is nothing more than "deal slightly more Enmity than Flash but to one target".

My point is, you don't know what Maim does. No Warrior looks at Maim to generate enmity itself.

Windtrick

My point is, you don't know what Maim does. No Warrior looks at Maim to generate enmity itself.

This seems like such a nonsensical issue to argue about.

Maim gives a buff that increases your damage output, thus increasing your enmity. Hitting enemies with maim still gives you enmity as does any damaging ability any class uses. The tank classes just have skills that give a giant amount of enmity unlike other classes.

Mupod

In a game with such small party sizes you'd be surprised how important tank damage output is. Especially in speedruns with big pulls.

Basically what I'm saying is fuck paladins.

Alucrid

Banned
This seems like such a nonsensical issue to argue about.

Maim gives a buff that increases your damage output, thus increasing your enmity. Hitting enemies with maim still gives you enmity as does any damaging ability any class uses. The tank classes just have skills that give a giant amount of enmity unlike other classes.

So you agree that Flash is just an AoE Maim?

Zalasta

These are scrub tier runs (sub level 30) so I assume they're from people leveling Healer alts who appreciate a tank who knows how to faceroll Flash.

Admittedly I tend to commend tanks that don't pull trash that are avoidable. I prefer LL DR to be fast and under 30 min.

Haly

Counterpoint, I confused Maim for Savage Blade. As I said, I was a sub-30 GLD tank, there was literally no way I was using Maim.

This is why I hate semantic debates. Such a simple mix-up of terms overlooked because SEMANTICS.

Alucrid

Banned
Counterpoint, I confused Maim for Savage Blade. As I said, I was a sub-30 GLD tank, there was literally no way I was using Maim.

This is why I hate semantic debates. Such a simple mix-up of terms overlooked because SEMANTICS.

It's not really a semantic debate when Maim and Savage Blade are two completely different things. You were just plain wrong.

Windtrick

So you agree that Flash is just an AoE Maim?

Nope. I was trying to clarify what maim was to Haly since his initial claim was somewhat true. Guess it looks like I was disagreeing with you since I quoted you, sorry. Flash and provoke are the only pure enmity increase abilities with no damage.

orion434

I recently power-leveled Fishing to lv 50 against every fiber of my being! Is there any way to speed-up catching fish? Is GP useless for this class?

Mupod

It's gonna be a mess on PS3 for sure. While it seems designed around splitting groups to handle objectives, I can almost guarantee that 90% of players in there will just run forward until they meet another player, then dismount and attack Which will probably result in a big zergfest over whatever capture point is closest to the middle while a few smaller groups try and actually win the match.

Come to think of it how will gamepad players target people in a big crowd like that? Honest question.

dramatis

Come to think of it how will gamepad players target people in a big crowd like that? Honest question.
Use Holy. Press X. Not exactly joking about that one, since generally speaking it's actually difficult to target precisely when there are a lot of people. If 'overall' Filters is set to enemies only, pressing X will pick the target aligned with your character's line of sight.

I use macro workarounds for things that "targeting > using skill" would be too troublesome for in pvp.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's gonna be a mess on PS3 for sure. While it seems designed around splitting groups to handle objectives, I can almost guarantee that 90% of players in there will just run forward until they meet another player, then dismount and attack Which will probably result in a big zergfest over whatever capture point is closest to the middle while a few smaller groups try and actually win the match.

Overpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom