• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Uldah is kinda nice since it gives me Rabanastre vibes. Oh and it has the One Inch Punch master.

I'd probably like Ul'dah a lot more if the aetherytes were in logical locations. I still don't get why Gridania and Limsa can have one at or near the market district, but Ul'dah can't.

Today I stayed my hand from spending 250$ to obtain the Windup Dalamud.

Sure wish I was rolling in money to just casually consider tossing away $250 like that. :p

I'd probably like Ul'dah a lot more if the aetherytes were in logical locations. I still don't get why Gridania and Limsa can have one at or near the market district, but Ul'dah can't.

Sure wish I was rolling in money to just casually consider tossing away $250 like that. :p

The crystal right by the Adventurers guild in U'ldah is just outside the market. Just take the nearest exit to the other zone, boom you're there!

Finally got T7 down! We were wiping on it for like 3 or 4 weeks and it got super frustrating towards the end. We started with one Ronald for the first couple weeks, tried stacking four Ronalds last week, then decided screw it, we'll just go back to the old way last night, and cleared it after a few attempts. What a crazy fight, hope I can go back to enjoying it now. Laevateinn (lit. "Damage Twig") is in sight. Also the caster curse is lifted and I got the HA boots and bracelet. o/

Had a sneak peak at T8 last night. Trash section looks bonkers. And that troll chest, man.

Which Grand Company is everyone in? The Malestrom?

The GAF FC seems like it leans towards Maelstrom, which is best, because:
- sassy red uniforms
- Merlwyb
- best city
- Roegadyns
- sea swallowing all

By the way, is anyone new in the FC hitting BRD50 soon? I got the material for the relic precursor from a WP run last night and was thinking of making the bow you need for relic and dropping it in the FC chest for whoever needs it since it's more expensive to get your relic these days due to materia prices going up.

Carbonox

Finally biting the bullet on buying Final Fantasy XIV as it's a very quiet summer. I was in the Beta, it was my first ever foray in to MMORPG's and I absolutely adored it. I guess its single player friendly nature (at least so early in the game) was superb and I'm willing to go further and actually play with others.

Fast forward to today and the dead summer means I'm going to buy the game so I have something to keep me occupied.

Fortunately, the game is only 4 GBP on Amazon UK for the PS3 version. I'll buy this one and then do the free upgrade to the PS4 version. Not bad for 4 quid eh? I think I grasp the upgrade process going by http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/ps3_users/ but to confirm for those who have done it - do you need to start the game on the PS3 version (character completion and whatnot) to register the game to Square-Enix before I can upgrade or at what point does the registration complete and I can proceed with finalizing the upgrade? Otherwise that guide seems pretty straight forward.

Aside from that, I guess the only other things I wanted to know is that as I'm based in the UK (but a regular on NeoGAF so wouldn't mind playing with other gaffers), what's the best server for me? Ultros - going by the OP as it mentions EU datacenter and being the NeoGAF server of choice - or is there other popular ones for my region?

Additionally I had a lot of fun as a Warrior in the Beta - is it fine as a newbie choice of class? Dragoon interests me a lot too but the Warrior seemed a decent all-rounder for solo play just going by the beta.

Apologies - I know all of this is covered in detail in the OP via the multitude of links available but it's a lot to digest at the moment and I plan on reading up thoroughly as I get more and more in to this so some brief information for the above to get me started would put my mind at rest.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Additionally I had a lot of fun as a Warrior in the Beta - is it fine as a newbie choice of class? Dragoon interests me a lot too but the Warrior seemed a decent all-rounder for solo play just going by the beta.

As someone who started recently as well, I played a little MAR and liked what I saw. It's very good for solo'ing, particularly because it's a Tank class so queue times are nearly instant. It does a lot more damage by itself than GLD, so leveling is a bit faster.

Plus they look cool.

IMBored

do you need to start the game on the PS3 version (character completion and whatnot) to register the game to Square-Enix before I can upgrade or at what point does the registration complete and I can proceed with finalizing the upgrade?

AFAIK you just have to pass the moogle account linking and terms and conditions accepting on the PS3 version, I don't think you have to create a char.
I recommend Ultros because the gaf fc is very active and in 7pm-12pm there's plenty of players. Also, any class is good to start, but with warrior you are a tank, and that means faster qeues.

IvorB

Finally biting the bullet on buying Final Fantasy XIV as it's a very quiet summer. I was in the Beta, it was my first ever foray in to MMORPG's and I absolutely adored it. I guess its single player friendly nature (at least so early in the game) was superb and I'm willing to go further and actually play with others.

Fast forward to today and the dead summer means I'm going to buy the game so I have something to keep me occupied.

Fortunately, the game is only 4 GBP on Amazon UK for the PS3 version. I'll buy this one and then do the free upgrade to the PS4 version. Not bad for 4 quid eh? I think I grasp the upgrade process going by http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/ps3_users/ but to confirm for those who have done it - do you need to start the game on the PS3 version (character completion and whatnot) to register the game to Square-Enix before I can upgrade or at what point does the registration complete and I can proceed with finalizing the upgrade? Otherwise that guide seems pretty straight forward.

Aside from that, I guess the only other things I wanted to know is that as I'm based in the UK (but a regular on NeoGAF so wouldn't mind playing with other gaffers), what's the best server for me? Ultros - going by the OP as it mentions EU datacenter and being the NeoGAF server of choice - or is there other popular ones for my region?

Apologies - I know all of this is covered in detail in the OP via the multitude of links available but it's a lot to digest at the moment and I plan on reading up thoroughly as I get more and more in to this so some brief information for the above to get me started would put my mind at rest.

I believe you just need to install the game and set up a service account. I did not complete the character creation or start playing the game and I was able to upgrade. I paid 8 quid for this game and a free month. What a steal!

EU represents on Ultros so that would be your best bet. It seems to be populated and busy no matter the time of day so it's all good.

Shahed

UK here. I was also thinking of the same deal for getting this game. If I buy the PS3 disc and do the upgrade to PS4, will i need to have the disc inside my PS4 to be able to play?

Hasney

UK here. I was also thinking of the same deal for getting this game. If I buy the PS3 disc and do the upgrade to PS4, will i need to have the disc inside my PS4 to be able to play?

Nah, it gives you a code to download the digital version on PS4.

IMBored

Weaver is such a drag to level up. Want to make a pair of pants? You need 1 thread plus 3 undyed cloths, that takes 2 threads each. As each thread is made from 2 of the base material, that makes a total 14 of the base material and 8 crafts to make a single item. Forget about repeatable leves, even singles are crazy time consuming.

orion434

Weaver is such a drag to level up. Want to make a pair of pants? You need 1 thread plus 3 undyed cloths, that takes 2 threads each. As each thread is made from 2 of the base material, that makes a total 14 of the base material and 8 crafts to make a single item. Forget about repeatable leves, even singles are crazy time consuming.

Weaver has too many bottle-necks, I remember when Diremite webs were being cornered, made getting through that section really slow. Now that Retainers can hunt for items like fleece, Apkallu eggs, Snurble tufts and such it's not so bad if there are campers.

Even with that said Fleece is ~ 400 Gil each!

IMBored

Weaver has too many bottle-necks, I remember when Diremite webs were being cornered, made getting through that section really slow. Now that Retainers can hunt for items like fleece, Apkallu eggs, Snurble tufts and such it's not so bad if there are campers.

Even with that said Fleece is ~ 400 Gil each!

Crazy, I've been sending my ret for fleece runs and have a stack of 60 so far. With some luck I'll make it to 50 with retainer runs alone. Kind of wish I hadn't put a retainer as BOT right now, it's useless.

I wish Limsa had half the Crystals network Uldah did.

But what I really want is that, for the Gladiator's Guild Crystal, maybe it could take me into the Gladiator Guild instead of a short walk outside of it.

But Limsa has the best Aetherite network. You have one right on the market, which no other city has. Gridania is a long walk and Uldah's needs a loading screen.

You have one close to every guild. And there's one that works for both the GC and the Tavern for the leves. Everything else is pure noise.

Noi

I love Ul'dah as a city and think it has the best NPCs, but my free port and FC house are both in Limsa. Way too convenient for it not to be.

(Ul'dah still has the better seal trade in location though, so an Immortal Flame I'll remain.)

orion434

Crazy, I've been sending my ret for fleece runs and have a stack of 60 so far. With some luck I'll make it to 50 with retainer runs alone. Kind of wish I hadn't put a retainer as BOT right now, it's useless.

I'm not sure the ilv but when it's higher the time the Retainer takes for the run decreases and quantity collected increases. At ilv 70 it takes 50 minutes for 10 Fleece.

Use Botanist to collect lv 26 Crystals, everything besides Water sells for a good amount of Gil, you can get it down to 40 minutes for 30 crystals with enough gathering, sell that to buy fleece :)

IMBored

I'm not sure the ilv but when it's higher the time the Retainer takes for the run decreases and quantity collected increases. At ilv 70 it takes 50 minutes for 10 Fleece.

Use Botanist to collect lv 26 Crystals, everything besides Water sells for a good amount of Gil, you can get it down to 40 minutes for 30 crystals with enough gathering, sell that to buy fleece :)

That's what my retainer has, 10 fleece each 50 minutes, about 4 HQ. Never even tough about sending my other for crystals, normally I just send it for quick ventures (because I believe she'll bring me something nice someday).
Does the 18H exploration rewards anything worthwhile besides the mindflayer? If not I might start loging in from work to send them for shorter runs.

iammeiam

I tried tanking for the the first time yesterday! Satasha so obviously easy, but Jesus Christ is my entire controller and HUD setup not optimized for that. Healer marked everything, which was fine (I was just going to mark 1, so somebody wanting to do extra work was fine for me), but DPS proceeded to just attack whatever and I need to figure out a better way to tell immediately if I'm losing aggro to the healer and should care or some DPS who is attacking 3 first.

I mean, Satasha, so nobody died, but I resorted to spamming Overpower and Flash a lot and still had mobs peeling off occasionally.

orion434

That's what my retainer has, 10 fleece each 50 minutes, about 4 HQ. Never even tough about sending my other for crystals, normally I just send it for quick ventures (because I believe she'll bring me something nice someday).
Does the 18H exploration rewards anything worthwhile besides the mindflayer? If not I might start loging in from work to send them for shorter runs.

The Exploration XIII items used to sell well, not anymore. You can buy Taffeta Cloth / Light Steel Plate for under 1K Gil now. I do them for the challenge log and the small amount of Gil, I send them before 10pm and when I get home from work they are finished. I am just holding onto them in case it's used at a later time.

I do the daily provision missions to replenish my seal-fund to buy Ventures.

Number45

I tried tanking for the the first time yesterday! Satasha so obviously easy, but Jesus Christ is my entire controller and HUD setup not optimized for that. Healer marked everything, which was fine (I was just going to mark 1, so somebody wanting to do extra work was fine for me), but DPS proceeded to just attack whatever and I need to figure out a better way to tell immediately if I'm losing aggro to the healer and should care or some DPS who is attacking 3 first.

I mean, Satasha, so nobody died, but I resorted to spamming Overpower and Flash a lot and still had mobs peeling off occasionally.
Sometimes it's unavoidable, even if you mark everything and have a decent rotation - if the DPS go all out on the wrong mob you'll lose it frequently. I usually politely ask a couple of times to follow the order, if they ignore then I don't worry too much if they take some hits. I won't usually let them die, but I won't rush to their aid straight away.

I use the default HUD layout, although it's tempting to shift the enmity list closer to the centre. For marking, I have 1/2/3/4 on the extended hotbars so they're easy to pull up without disrupting my main 16 actions.

Eldren

By the way, is anyone new in the FC hitting BRD50 soon? I got the material for the relic precursor from a WP run last night and was thinking of making the bow you need for relic and dropping it in the FC chest for whoever needs it since it's more expensive to get your relic these days due to materia prices going up.

I just hit BRD50 the other day, but I need to finish the story quests before I can do the relic stuff, right? I'm at the Castrum so I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to the end; it's just that and then the Praetorium, I think. I don't know how long it'll take me to get to the relic quest though so someone else will probably get there first.

Chille

I can't even log into ffxiv right now on PS4, keep getting an error code when loading past the first patcher

*also wave to all the GAF users on ultro's bumped into you guys a few times

Frontlines preview sounds interesting. Did someone say that morale and PVP gear would not be used in Frontlines? They mentioned wolf marks and the gear in the preview.

Chille

Frontlines preview sounds interesting. Did someone say that morale and PVP gear would not be used in Frontlines? They mentioned wolf marks and the gear in the preview.

I guess they hope people will enjoy frontlines enough that they will do other PvP modes and by giving wolf marks they might push people into trying them out without feeling to weak

WolvenOne

My two cents: I went with the Immortal Flames FC, because the Twin Adder are a bunch of hippies, Maelstrom seems to be seeped yar har faux pirate culture, and I rather like the look of Thanalan anyway.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Immortal Flames.

Kagari knows where its at.

So I'm dabbling in xiv again and wondering - Do we have any GAFers on Balmung? I know most of the crew is on Ultros/Sarg but wondering if we had any Balmung folks. Made an alt there since I've always loved RP servers and wanted to check out the scene.

Cmagus

Today I stayed my hand from spending 250$ to obtain the Windup Dalamud.

Just buy the soundtrack through the SE store they come with the minion. I bought my copy not that long ago and got one no problem. There was a whole thing on the forums about people buying it recently and they all got the minion. A rep from SE even said they do come with it and you could always email and ask just to be sure.

Mupod

I guess they hope people will enjoy frontlines enough that they will do other PvP modes and by giving wolf marks they might push people into trying them out without feeling to weak

Wolves' Den is going to be 100% completely dead in 2.3 unless they put in something way more attractive than 400 xp per week in the challenge log. Especially since you get myth/soldiery in Frontlines.

And if morale is really completely gone in Frontlines, the only difference between the PVP set and PVE gear is that the PVP set will be missing a secondary stat (since morale takes up one of them). Which makes me wonder if we've heard the whole story or if they really didn't think this through at all. Why reward people with a gear set that has no purpose?

IvorB

I just resubbed, are Fates still the best way to level? It was pretty empty last night when I tried to do them and it was so slow.

Have FATEs ever been the best way to level?

Got my chocobo to level 3 tonight. It's pretty slow going though. Wish they would fix the dungeon queue thing so I could have him out all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom