• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

It's pretty sad when I perform better at Titan hard mode than some of the other people in te party and I only have one frickin' good eye at the moment.

Wilsongt

Maybe the rest of your group don't have hands.

Or brains. I died once only because they broke me out of the gaol right as landslide happened and I got knocked off. The other healer already got knocked off earlier.

30% echo buff. Other players, pls

WolvenOne

Slow thread u.u

Given that we're at the end of a patch cycle, this isn't really surprising. Things will pick up again when there's new content again.

I mean, there's only so much more that can be said about Leviathan, Moogle MOG, or Second Coil, at this point anyway. XD

Incidentally, what are people looking forward to most? Ramuh? Crystal Tower? Frontlines?

... Hildebrand? ;)

Ken

Given that we're at the end of a patch cycle, this isn't really surprising. Things will pick up again when there's new content again.

I mean, there's only so much more that can be said about Leviathan, Moogle MOG, or Second Coil, at this point anyway. XD

You should come up with more gameplay theories we can discuss about over some tea and biscuits.

Dunan

It's pretty sad when I perform better at Titan hard mode than some of the other people in te party and I only have one frickin' good eye at the moment.

Unless I'm missing some joke, how would it benefit you to have both eyes functioning rather than one when you're looking at a flat screen?

Wazzy

Banned
Ouch. It's Maurader you level to 15. On the other hand you're good to go for Black Mage

tdgjPaD.gif

Back to leveling up :(

I should have looked it up lmao my friend told me it was archer bleghhhhhh

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Came back to the game after a long hiatus and rolled a new character on Ultros. Having a really tough time deciding whether to go summoner or scholar with her. Going healer would be nice for speedy dungeon queues, but at the same time I'm pretty bored of healing. >_<

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Came back to the game after a long hiatus and rolled a new character on Ultros. Having a really tough time deciding whether to go summoner or scholar with her. Going healer would be nice for speedy dungeon queues, but at the same time I'm pretty bored of healing. >_<
Level to 50 as Scholar for fast queues, pay to respec to Summoner.

Probably a dumb idea, but hey.

I feel like I don't know how to make my alt.

I mean, I want to make a 2nd character for RPing on a RP server ... but I'm currently beefing up my crafting on my main character in hopes of being able to craft gear for classes I plan to level up (I'm just a level 40 PLD right now but I wanna level up healing next).

I thought it would be cool to kill 2 birds with one stone and just make my RP character on the same server as my Main so that I could "sponsor" their journey by making gear and gil for em with my main before transferring them to a RP server. But that transfer fee is annoying and I may one day want to transfer my main onto a rp server so ehh ... :/

WolvenOne

Dat feel when you walk out of a Coil turn after rolling on something, and it hasn't actually dropped yet. D:

In my defense, a fair chunk of time had elapsed, so I thought it had dropped already, but that's still very dense of me! At least it wasn't something for my main class though. You know, for Coil, they really ought to make those drops stick around, at least so long as you're going into that intermediate area and not leaving altogether.

Or, put up a disclaimer that you have to click through, that'd do it too. Though of course ultimate responsibility is on the player in question.

WolvenOne

Okay, silly T7 question.

I've been noticing on runs where, either, if the first of the three initial are dead before the second pops, or, if I do not get voice until the third add, that first add phase tends to go a lot smoother for our party.

Given this, I'm considering whether I should be prioritizing damage mitigation at this point, or if I should be trying to push DPS, either through CD's or having more DPS centric equipment.

My thinking is, that if DPS is high enough that I'm never taking two of those adds at the same time, that's less healing that needs to be done, less time the DPS are being distracted from things like Voice, Shriek, kiting, etc.

Basically, I'm thinking it might result in slightly less chaotic transitions during this point in the fight.

So, assuming this thinking is correct, I guess I have two follow up questions. Roughly how long is it between those initial Lamia add spawns? It feels like it's happening pretty fast, so I've never dared use berserk during any party of that phase, out of fear of pacification preventing me from being able to pick up a new add. However is the gap is 30 seconds between spawns, that shouldn't be a problem so long as I'm popping it at the beginning of a spawn.

Second, is it at all acceptable to replace one or two pieces of Fending jewelry with DPS jewelry. Specifically, I'm considering swapping the Fending Ribbon for the Slaying ribbon, as it not only has good DPS stats, but should have enough accuracy to let me use the Weathered Soldiery helm, in place of the T5 helm. The Soldiery helm has some decent sub-stats for DPS, so it may very well push the overall party DPS up over the point where I'm never having to hold two of those Lamia adds simultaneously.

Mind you, all these may be moot if I get voice during each of those Add Spawns, that's the most annoying crap ever, seeing as that status tends to hit right when I should be solidifying my hate. (I can turn around and hit Flash, but that's tends to result in less solid hate then I'd like.)

See thats the beauty of the arcanist. USE BOTH!!!! I do.

Leveling up the scholar, also levels up the summoner.

I use the scholar in dungeons, trials, leves, raids, and use the summoner when out in the wild and solo. I can also switch to DPS when the group already has a healer.

You'd have to get both conjuer and thurmaturge to level 15 though. But what I did was get all classes to level 15 first, then start working on any classes i want to do so i can go right into the advance classes regardless or what class I decide to level up next.

b687e0a17d6a6e84eed1e6e941aaf6c843a92895.gif

Thanks. <3
OMG!! Im crying right now, lmao

Ken

Okay, silly T7 question.

I've been noticing on runs where, either, if the first of the three initial are dead before the second pops, or, if I do not get voice until the third add, that first add phase tends to go a lot smoother for our party.

Given this, I'm considering whether I should be prioritizing damage mitigation at this point, or if I should be trying to push DPS, either through CD's or having more DPS centric equipment.

My thinking is, that if DPS is high enough that I'm never taking two of those adds at the same time, that's less healing that needs to be done, less time the DPS are being distracted from things like Voice, Shriek, kiting, etc.

Basically, I'm thinking it might result in slightly less chaotic transitions during this point in the fight.

So, assuming this thinking is correct, I guess I have two follow up questions. Roughly how long is it between those initial Lamia add spawns? It feels like it's happening pretty fast, so I've never dared use berserk during any party of that phase, out of fear of pacification preventing me from being able to pick up a new add. However is the gap is 30 seconds between spawns, that shouldn't be a problem so long as I'm popping it at the beginning of a spawn.

Second, is it at all acceptable to replace one or two pieces of Fending jewelry with DPS jewelry. Specifically, I'm considering swapping the Fending Ribbon for the Slaying ribbon, as it not only has good DPS stats, but should have enough accuracy to let me use the Weathered Soldiery helm, in place of the T5 helm. The Soldiery helm has some decent sub-stats for DPS, so it may very well push the overall party DPS up over the point where I'm never having to hold two of those Lamia adds simultaneously.

Mind you, all these may be moot if I get voice during each of those Add Spawns, that's the most annoying crap ever, seeing as that status tends to hit right when I should be solidifying my hate. (I can turn around and hit Flash, but that's tends to result in less solid hate then I'd like.)

What if your DPS just got good.

WolvenOne

What if your DPS just got good.

Typically, I focus on properly executing mechanics, so I don't generally push my DPS on fights I'm still learning. As for, getting good, considering that the war DPS rotation is a simple 123 execution, interrupted only occasionally by a stun, dot, cool down, or a wrath action, I really doubt there's all that much room for improvement there.

Only thing I can do better, is timing my offensive cool downs, which is both going to differ slightly for each fight, and is something I asked about for T7.

For full context, I do push DPS once I've learned a fight, am confident I can execute the mechanics, and know the phase timings well enough that I'm confident I can use Cool Downs without wasting them, or dramatically altering phase transitions.

I'm just not to that point on T7.

Happy to see Maple's group clear Turn 8. Congrats guys. :)

Thanks for the assist Kags (Remiel here). :)

Even though I'm only a backup for Maple's folks I'm glad I could help, especially since that was my first T8 clear as well. Plus it was pretty awesome to see the cutscene stuff for T9.

Typically, I focus on properly executing mechanics, so I don't generally push my DPS on fights I'm still learning. As for, getting good, considering that the war DPS rotation is a simple 123 execution, interrupted only occasionally by a stun, dot, cool down, or a wrath action, I really doubt there's all that much room for improvement there.

Only thing I can do better, is timing my offensive cool downs, which is both going to differ slightly for each fight, and is something I asked about for T7.

For full context, I do push DPS once I've learned a fight, am confident I can execute the mechanics, and know the phase timings well enough that I'm confident I can use Cool Downs without wasting them, or dramatically altering phase transitions.

he means ppl as in the 4 dps that aren't doing max dps

WolvenOne

he means ppl as in the 4 dps that aren't doing max dps

Well not everyone has ilvl100 weapons yet, so I'm not all that certain DPS can be improved all THAT much in that regard.

Besides that, on runs when I don't have to worry about Voice, a previous add is then only hanging onto life by a hair, or is already dead outright. So I don't think DPS is really deficient given all this, I'm just considering ways to improve my own DPS output. so I can push the Adds over the edge more quickly, or alternately, can grab hate more firmly with fewer moves.

Ken

You're not MT WAR?

BadRNG

woosh in-progress
Having OT wear dps accessories is common tactic when they won't be tanking much of the fight. If your healers can keep you up through all three adds with DPS accessories then do so, if not then don't. It ain't rocket science.

That said, defiance is going to hugely cut into the benefit of having dps accessories, and unless you guys are right on the borderline of getting each down before the other add spawns it likely won't make much of a difference. And if you ARE right on the border, then they should be dead before you are, or alternatively you can have the MT provoke the add and it will either die on the way to him or be dead on arrival.

You only get 30 seconds with each add, and that is counting likely travel time unless you are standing on their spawn point every time, you're going to lose another 3-4 seconds if you don't tank the circle blade too. Realistically as tank your dps contribution here is not going to matter anywhere near as much as the actual dps in your group, no matter what small amount of dps stats you move gear around for. If the adds aren't dying then I am guessing most likely culprit is the Renaud-kiter is still working on managing them while dpsing effectively, which is something they will just need practice with.

Well not everyone has ilvl100 weapons yet, so I'm not all that certain DPS can be improved all THAT much in that regard.

Besides that, on runs when I don't have to worry about Voice, a previous add is then only hanging onto life by a hair, or is already dead outright. So I don't think DPS is really deficient given all this, I'm just considering ways to improve my own DPS output. so I can push the Adds over the edge more quickly, or alternately, can grab hate more firmly with fewer moves.
DPS can improve via skill, rotation, uptime...you don't need i100 weapons to get the melee adds down before more spawn.

The extra dps you are talking about is so miniscule, so is the threat.

iammeiam

It's actually a really fun fight. I'd just like to see past heart phase for the real deal. And see this Levi EX.

We should try to schedule a time or day or something to get a GAF-based learning/clear party going. There have to be a few of us stuck there at this point; it's so rare in DF that if I queue for anything else Titan EX never even pops anymore.

LowParry

We should try to schedule a time or day or something to get a GAF-based learning/clear party going. There have to be a few of us stuck there at this point; it's so rare in DF that if I queue for anything else Titan EX never even pops anymore.

Oh I can get Titan EX groups in DF. 90% are terrible. The few rares we get pretty far but we run into the problem of one or two dps not able to dodge landslides.

iammeiam

Oh I can get Titan EX groups in DF. 90% are terrible. The few rares we get pretty far but we run into the problem of one or two dps not able to dodge landslides.

Are you DPS? I've been queuing for T4, T5, and Titan EX, and will sit in queue for 20-30 minutes before T4 or T5 pops. I think I've seen Titan once this past week; but given the number of 3/4th bard T5s I've been in, this might be a function of me picking the most oversaturated job possible.

LowParry

Are you DPS? I've been queuing for T4, T5, and Titan EX, and will sit in queue for 20-30 minutes before T4 or T5 pops. I think I've seen Titan once this past week; but given the number of 3/4th bard T5s I've been in, this might be a function of me picking the most oversaturated job possible.

SCH heals :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom