• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Having OT wear dps accessories is common tactic when they won't be tanking much of the fight. If your healers can keep you up through all three adds with DPS accessories then do so, if not then don't. It ain't rocket science.

That said, defiance is going to hugely cut into the benefit of having dps accessories, and unless you guys are right on the borderline of getting each down before the other add spawns it likely won't make much of a difference. And if you ARE right on the border, then they should be dead before you are, or alternatively you can have the MT provoke the add and it will either die on the way to him or be dead on arrival.

You only get 30 seconds with each add, and that is counting likely travel time unless you are standing on their spawn point every time, you're going to lose another 3-4 seconds if you don't tank the circle blade too. Realistically as tank your dps contribution here is not going to matter anywhere near as much as the actual dps in your group, no matter what small amount of dps stats you move gear around for. If the adds aren't dying then I am guessing most likely culprit is the Renaud-kiter is still working on managing them while dpsing effectively, which is something they will just need practice with.

DPS can improve via skill, rotation, uptime...you don't need i100 weapons to get the melee adds down before more spawn.

The extra dps you are talking about is so minuscule, so is the threat.

Well, just for context, the way it is right now, if I'm NOT getting voice during the Second or Third add, then by the time I'm running to the next add the one I was just at is essentially hanging by a thread, and they'll usually die before I've even moved into the new position.

If I get voice however, I'll end up tanking two for anywhere from, 5 to 15 seconds, (depending on which one of the DPS also got Voice in that time.)

So my thought was that any real improvement in overall DPS would probably get these adds down before the next one popped, which I see as the ideal, seeing as those adds have an absurd cleave range. (Even taking them through the least populated part of the arena will occasionally result in somebody getting clipped by it.)

Now, all that said, if there's a 30 second gap between each Add Spawning, then I should be able to pop offensive cooldowns like Berserk without too much of a risk of getting pacification during a transition point. So that should help with both DPS and quickly grabbing Hate.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
About to start atma grinding for my DRG. How much am I going to hate my life?

(Looking to try adhering to the japanese time theory)

Mairu

Dat feel when you walk out of a Coil turn after rolling on something, and it hasn't actually dropped yet. D:

In my defense, a fair chunk of time had elapsed, so I thought it had dropped already, but that's still very dense of me! At least it wasn't something for my main class though. You know, for Coil, they really ought to make those drops stick around, at least so long as you're going into that intermediate area and not leaving altogether.

Or, put up a disclaimer that you have to click through, that'd do it too. Though of course ultimate responsibility is on the player in question.

I did this on my black mage alt on Twintania. I'm never going to see that weapon again on that character.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Japanese time theory is bunk. You will hate life effectively for good now. Get used to it.

It may be bunk, but I got my first atma in 2 fates!

EDIT: Hell yeah, got my 2nd atma.

Hi guys i have a little question . i'm arcanist lv 50 and i've been using my bonus point to up my stats accordingly. i'm planning to start playing a tank class.

Can i just start that new class and not worry about my stats ? ( on the same character i mean ) Won't that be a problem later for the late in-game stuff or should i start a new character entirely ? ( i kinda don't wanna do that. )

Hi guys i have a little question . i'm arcanist lv 50 and i've been using my bonus point to up my stats accordingly. i'm planning to start playing a tank class.

Can i just start that new class and not worry about my stats ? ( on the same character i mean ) Won't that be a problem later for the late in-game stuff or should i start a new character entirely ? ( i kinda don't wanna do that. )

the attributes points start over on a new class

IvorB

Yeah that's what I did.

Feels good to be back after the Beta. No other MMORPG has appealed to me apart from FFXIV. It's a truly brilliant game.

Yeah I've never played an MMORPG before either. This game is pretty brilliant. I'm having a real blast with it.

tdgjPaD.gif

Back to leveling up :(

I should have looked it up lmao my friend told me it was archer bleghhhhhh

Ha ha! This .gif is amazing. So many emotions coming through.

LowParry

And the quest continues though I think I'll work more on my BLM first. Then see if Titan EX would like to die in a fire today.

Carbonox

Anyone got any basic newbie-friendly tips to utilizing the Gladiator best in Dungeons? I did my first two yesterday due to the story (I'm level 18 atm) and they were so much fun but during the second you could tell the other players weren't too impressed with my play.

Isn't my role as the Tank to get the enemies on you as much as possible? I was trying to do this as often as Flash would allow me to whilst doing damage as and when I can. No one died aside from myself once due to the lack of healer support at a critical time.

But ultimately I thought that is what you're supposed to do in these instances when you're playing a defensive character?

*shrug* I'm learning anyway as this is my first ever MMORPG. Still fun as fuck. I also find once you leave Ul'Dah and head to the other areas in the story that missions with decent loot start to become few and far between especially as there are more missions showing up with level 1 requirements but this is probably down to if you're leveling other classes from scratch so that's useful.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've decided to steamroll all of my caster jobs to 15 for now, then use WHM to push forward story-related dungeons (don't wanna be in a 30 minute queue for regular Ifrit et all! XD) then summoner for pew pew time (well, DOTs anyway).

Enjolras

Neo Member
Anyone got any basic newbie-friendly tips to utilizing the Gladiator best in Dungeons? I did my first two yesterday due to the story (I'm level 18 atm) and they were so much fun but during the second you could tell the other players weren't too impressed with my play.

Isn't my role as the Tank to get the enemies on you as much as possible? I was trying to do this as often as Flash would allow me to whilst doing damage as and when I can. No one died aside from myself once due to the lack of healer support at a critical time.

But ultimately I thought that is what you're supposed to do in these instances when you're playing a defensive character?

*shrug* I'm learning anyway as this is my first ever MMORPG. Still fun as fuck. I also find once you leave Ul'Dah and head to the other areas in the story that missions with decent loot start to become few and far between especially as there are more missions showing up with level 1 requirements but this is probably down to if you're leveling other classes from scratch so that's useful.
Yup, as tank your job is to ideally have every mob on you. Later on, there'll be times when the DPS will take hate on some adds during fights, but for now, just assume that they should have all of their attention on you.

There's a little box under the party list that has a list of all the mobs that have aggro on you, and there'll be a coloured indicator next to their names. Ideally, you want to have them all as a flashing red square, and if it goes orange/yellow, it's time to get that mob's attention again. See this image for an example (on the right hand side).

At low levels, keeping hate is a pain for both tanks, but especially GLA. When you're with level synced DPS/healers, it's even worse. I'd say try prioritising hate over damage at low levels - use Flash a fair number of times to get started, then drop another one in after every Fast Blade/Savage Blade combo. You could also try marking mobs (right-click/square - mark), to give the DPS a kill order, and you know which one to focus your attacks on. Until you get your PLD stone at 30, and Shield Oath at 40, you'll find these problems unfortunately. But stick with it - there's something extremely rewarding keeping hate on 9 mobs at once!

MogCakes

Yes. If your skill rotation is similar to this: Shield lob/flash -> flash (if shield lob) -> fast blade -> savage blade -> flash -> repeat (riot when necessary) then you're good to go. At lower levels keeping hate is more difficult, especially when your party members are decked out.

People who have never played a tank class don't understand the concept of hate levels, they probably don't even know that the enemy list shows the aggro level of a monster on you. I've seen a lot of DPS just go #YOLO on mobs without a care to their aggro. If they can't understand that enemy aggro has a mechanic and isn't simply an on/off thing, that's their problem.

my last 3 easy mode roulette were toto, toto, tam....

thank god someone left at tam.

got haukke next. a little better, but not by much. it must be their shitty RNG at work. i refuse to believe nobody is queuing for anything else. i think i'll stop doing them for a while. i've had my fill.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How delicious do you find AOE? That answer will lead you to your true people.
AoE is okay, it's not a dealbreaker for me. I like critical hits and big numbers.
whynotboth.gif
True. Picking one to level first.
Do you like to jump? Dragoon. Do you like to look like a complete badass doing all sorts of badass things? Then go Monk.
I heal stuff so jumping comes nautral.
What patch is that?

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously, is this game shitting me right now?

Got these three atma of the lion literally almost back-to-back-to-back, while the rest of my party watched in horror:

atmawtfjbsr1.png

Carbonox

Yup, as tank your job is to ideally have every mob on you. Later on, there'll be times when the DPS will take hate on some adds during fights, but for now, just assume that they should have all of their attention on you.

There's a little box under the party list that has a list of all the mobs that have aggro on you, and there'll be a coloured indicator next to their names. Ideally, you want to have them all as a flashing red square, and if it goes orange/yellow, it's time to get that mob's attention again. See this image for an example (on the right hand side).

At low levels, keeping hate is a pain for both tanks, but especially GLA. When you're with level synced DPS/healers, it's even worse. I'd say try prioritising hate over damage at low levels - use Flash a fair number of times to get started, then drop another one in after every Fast Blade/Savage Blade combo. You could also try marking mobs (right-click/square - mark), to give the DPS a kill order, and you know which one to focus your attacks on. Until you get your PLD stone at 30, and Shield Oath at 40, you'll find these problems unfortunately. But stick with it - there's something extremely rewarding keeping hate on 9 mobs at once!

Yes. If your skill rotation is similar to this: Shield lob/flash -> flash (if shield lob) -> fast blade -> savage blade -> flash -> repeat (riot when necessary) then you're good to go. At lower levels keeping hate is more difficult, especially when your party members are decked out.

People who have never played a tank class don't understand the concept of hate levels, they probably don't even know that the enemy list shows the aggro level of a monster on you. I've seen a lot of DPS just go #YOLO on mobs without a care to their aggro. If they can't understand that enemy aggro has a mechanic and isn't simply an on/off thing, that's their problem.

Thanks all, just did my third Dungeon (level 20 one with the giants) and ended up bossing it and getting 2 player commendations. They probably mean nawt but felt fucking great for me. I finally get the tank role. :lol

MechaX

Seriously, is this game shitting me right now?

Got these three atma of the lion literally almost back-to-back-to-back, while the rest of my party watched in horror:

The RNG Gods are very mysterious.

You'll probably end up getting 12 Atma of the Lions and have it take 50 hours to get the rest of the Atma pieces you actually need.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Run in (or open with Shield Lob), then Flash twice.

This is will carry your tanking through 30. It's around 30 that double Flash is not enough to deal with some DPS burst, particularly Archers. So I suggest laying down your rotation immediately on the main target (you should use macros to mark targets with priority), before throwing out a few Flashes to pick up side aggro.

If it's still a problem, ask the offending DPS to hold off a bit while you build up Enmity before going ham on the burst.

BadRNG

How much HPS should healers be doing Turn 8? WHM mainly.
Going on our last two kills, our resident crackbaby did an average of 800 hps or so between both. 20% average overheal over course of both fight. SCH+EOS did slightly higher but similar numbers, with 23% average overheal. I am using an average between two fights because of how different the two runs were, the one with higher HPS had no deaths (thus more people getting hit by aoe heal).

That's why HPS is a pretty awful stat to go by to determine how good your healer is, it ignores context and what is really important for a healer - efficiency and of course results. On the former point the overheal stat may be useful depending on fight, but overhealing will happen no matter what on a fight like T8. A lot of unavoidable aoe damage, and both healers have an aoe HoT that will likely overheal to some decent degree.

Just like tanks there is no sure fire way to parse a healer and get an estimate on how they are doing from a single stat. Useful things to look for is what skills they use the most, like if they are spamming Cure II and running out of MP that's a no-no, or whether or not they are properly utilizing their cooldowns. You can also look at specific points in the fight where there is an issue and see what they are doing, not sure what parser you use but ACT has a bunch of tools for this.

Going on our last two kills, our resident crackbaby did an average of 800 hps or so between both. 20% average overheal over course of both fight. SCH+EOS did slightly higher but similar numbers, with 23% average overheal. I am using an average between two fights because of how different the two runs were, the one with higher HPS had no deaths (thus more people getting hit by aoe heal).

That's why HPS is a pretty awful stat to go by to determine how good your healer is, it ignores context and what is really important for a healer - efficiency and of course results. On the former point the overheal stat may be useful depending on fight, but overhealing will happen no matter what on a fight like T8. A lot of unavoidable aoe damage, and both healers have an aoe HoT that will likely overheal to some decent degree.

Just like tanks there is no sure fire way to parse a healer and get an estimate on how they are doing from a single stat. Useful things to look for is what skills they use the most, like if they are spamming Cure II and running out of MP that's a no-no, or whether or not they are properly utilizing their cooldowns. You can also look at specific points in the fight where there is an issue and see what they are doing, not sure what parser you use but ACT has a bunch of tools for this.

800 is what I heard from another WHM and you said 800.... so.. yeah I'm being healed by someone doing half that while solo tanking. x_x Actually I think neither healer is near that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom