• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sigh. Maybe I should try making a new raid group myself.
I see new players all the time, there's gotta be other players approaching this stage in the game or who are late to the party for one reason or another, right? All the "serious" groups logically want people who are as far as they are...

So frustrating. Embrace hopelessness.

Enjolras

Neo Member
I might jump back into this tomorrow, wheres the best place (price) to get a time card from. I am from the UK.
Couldn't tell you if it's the cheapest price or not, but it's the standard price of £17.98 for 60 days from GAME, and you get the code immediately.

(Not exactly what you asked for, but it's where I get mine from.)

IvorB

Well, to be fair the story missions were designed as an one-off experience for 8 people doing it for the first time. So in that sense it is suppose to be epic filled with cutscenes. Then you run into the problem of long queues since there is no good reason to do it again and that's why the DR was created. As a result, more often than not you're thrown into a group that has done it numerous times before and the truth is there is no good compromise between the two.

I've stopped doing Main Story DR a long time ago. 80 myth is just not enough incentive to have to deal with 7 randoms (most of them are usually terrible and rude, some even pretend to watch the cutscenes so they can be carried through w/o doing anything), plus there is no loot.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with it.

Yeah it's not really ideal but I'm not that bothered to be honest. I've not been that invested in the story anyway. But I do like a bit of build up and hype to a boss fight rather than just going in cold. Anyways I will be running it all again (80 myth sounds great to me) so it's all good.

I get what they were going for with the story but it is a single player story shoe-horned into a multiplayer game and it just doesn't fit.

aceface

Farming atmas has made me question my life choices.

That's it, I'm done until they nerf the drop rates.

If you see me farming atmas, slap me!

Finally picked up my ps4 edition this morning, just a quick question, Does the game display your psn name or square enix id as your characters name? I assume its psn name but if not i will make a fresh square ID before starting it

Pollux

So I have a question about "materia". I just got to the main quest point where you encounter it for the first time. And it said that I was given some materia, but I can't find it in my inventory.

How do I upgrade weapons with materia. How do I "smith" materia? It said I needed to have a Disciple of the Hand skill to 19 to unlock the quest....

I've only leveled up my Marauder to lvl. 23 so is it worth taking some time off to do some gathering/forging stuff? I've started doing mining for a bit and when I get that up to lvl 20 or so I was planning on leveling up blacksmith so I could unlock that materia quest.

Is it possible to do miner/blacksmith together without really buying any raw materials on the market?

IvorB

I told myself I would never wear those silly pointy hats but I found one that's quite decent in white. So I'm rocking classic old school FF black mage right now:

eftv9j8.png

My jewellery is complete junk though. I really need to fix that.

IMBored

Is it possible to do miner/blacksmith together without really buying any raw materials on the market?

Generally you'll have to buy some stuff from the mb to level crafts if you're not botanist and miner ( and fisher for culinarian).
Also, you need to have the corresponding crafter at the same level of the gear you want to meld, and melding is only really worth it in the 70+ gear (imo).

Finally picked up my ps4 edition this morning, just a quick question, Does the game display your psn name or square enix id as your characters name? I assume its psn name but if not i will make a fresh square ID before starting it

You create a name for your character, independent of PSN or SE IDs.

I might jump back into this tomorrow, wheres the best place (price) to get a time card from. I am from the UK.

I bought mine from Offgamers for £17.10, I think. Instant delivery of the code, no card sent.

BLCKATK

If I joined Ultros GAF, you think there would be a chance that I could get in a static for Turn 8+? I'm an Ilvl 99 Bard, I'm starting to think I need a new home to play and raid.

Ken

If I joined Ultros GAF, you think there would be a chance that I could get in a static for Turn 8+? I'm an Ilvl 99 Bard, I'm starting to think I need a new home to play and raid.

Between 1-99% FFXIV chance.

What's wrong with your current place?

BLCKATK

Between 1-99% FFXIV chance.

What's wrong with your current place?

My static is falling apart, had to pick up the pieces quite a few times. We're just not making progress anymore and it has taken out all the fun of raiding for me. I like playing the game at an endgame level so if I stopped raiding I think my interest in the game would plummet, but it's already a struggle to log in.

Just don't know what to do about it. I guess the only thing I know is I'm not having fun, but I feel like I have a commitment to keep.

WolvenOne

My static is falling apart, had to pick up the pieces quite a few times. We're just not making progress anymore and it has taken out all the fun of raiding for me. I like playing the game at an endgame level so if I stopped raiding I think my interest in the game would plummet, but it's already a struggle to log in.

Just don't know what to do about it. I guess the only thing I know is I'm not having fun, but I feel like I have a commitment to keep.

Out of curiosity, how long has your group been stalled, and where exactly?

BLCKATK

Out of curiosity, how long has your group been stalled, and where exactly?

We started working on T7 around first couple weeks of May, had a static member leave the group to join a more hardcore guild. We had to gear up a new FC member who was a friend of ours. A week later we got T7 down, started working T8. The next week we lost another member due to work reasons, brought in someone that had ran with us before. Started getting harder to get T7 clear, T8 took a lot of refinement in the strategy because we kept losing DPS. Week after that we lost our SMN that we had geared up, and 3 days ago we just lost our MNK. So right now I'm reteaching the new SMN how to do T7, gearing up someone to take over as MNK, and our Turn 7 flow is completely cut because we lost so much DPS we can't push phases like we used to. To put things in perspective. I'm the Bard in the group and I top DPS at around 270-280 even if a death happens. Before I was 2nd on DPS, with our SMN (he kites) right behind and MNK on top, but since we lost him, the fights flow has completely changed.

Basically this flow of replacing members, teaching people how to refine their jobs, bringing in new people and getting used to their attitudes and how they play, while adjusting how my group plays, getting people to show up on time and play their hardest, has taken quite a toll on me. Made the game a second job.

Ultros GAF isn't the best place to look, unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up.

Farming atmas has made me question my life choices.

That's it, I'm done until they nerf the drop rates.

If you see me farming atmas, slap me!

I tried to farm atmas for my bow and it felt so bad man

I think I'm pretty much done with this game until 2.3, there's nothing fun left for me to do besides wipe to T8 and my Coil group is only meeting once a week lately :(

Ken

I tried to farm atmas for my bow and it felt so bad man

I think I'm pretty much done with this game until 2.3, there's nothing fun left for me to do besides wipe to T8 and my Coil group is only meeting once a week lately :(

Looks like a spot just opened up for you, BLCKATK.

WolvenOne

We started working on T7 around first couple weeks of May, had a static member leave the group to join a more hardcore guild. We had to gear up a new FC member who was a friend of ours. A week later we got T7 down, started working T8. The next week we lost another member due to work reasons, brought in someone that had ran with us before. Started getting harder to get T7 clear, T8 took a lot of refinement in the strategy because we kept losing DPS. Week after that we lost our SMN that we had geared up, and 3 days ago we just lost our MNK. So right now I'm reteaching the new SMN how to do T7, gearing up someone to take over as MNK, and our Turn 7 flow is completely cut because we lost so much DPS we can't push phases like we used to. To put things in perspective. I'm the Bard in the group and I top DPS at around 270-280 even if a death happens. Before I was 2nd on DPS, with our SMN (he kites) right behind and MNK on top, but since we lost him, the fights flow has completely changed.

Basically this flow of replacing members, teaching people how to refine their jobs, bringing in new people and getting used to their attitudes and how they play, while adjusting how my group plays, getting people to show up on time and play their hardest, has taken quite a toll on me. Made the game a second job.

If people aren't showing up at the agreed upon time, and there hasn't been a major mis-communication, chances are said players aren't taking things very seriously. I might consider taking a few weeks break from Coil, and trying to put a new team together afterward. If so however, I think you really need to stress to people that they need to show up on time, or if they cannot, they at least need to give the group a heads up that they cannot make it, and why.

If players can't make that commitment at least, then chances are they just want to play casually, and may not put in sufficient effort into skilling up.

WolvenOne

As for Ultros GAF.

It's a real grab bag of different people at different skill levels. So finding eight people in the FC, whom already have the skill to tackle something like Coil, can be a bit difficult.

That being said, there are some really, REALLY bad players outside of GAF. I don't think people should pretend that Ultros GAF is some sort of aberration. This is a lot of players first MMO, so a large portion of the games population is very inexperienced at this sort of thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that you shouldn't just assume the grass is greener, just because it's on the other side.

Tabris

If people aren't showing up at the agreed upon time, and there hasn't been a major mis-communication, chances are said players aren't taking things very seriously. I might consider taking a few weeks break from Coil, and trying to put a new team together afterward. If so however, I think you really need to stress to people that they need to show up on time, or if they cannot, they at least need to give the group a heads up that they cannot make it, and why.

If players can't make that commitment at least, then chances are they just want to play casually, and may not put in sufficient effort into skilling up.

That's one great thing about our group. We discuss our schedule at the end of every week, we post it on guild works, and everyone is great about communicating if we need to move or re-schedule.

While Ultros Gaf seems to have statics falling apart left and right, I often see people recruiting in PF so there is that option...

Please advise us to how to beat T9 since it's so easy for you, and then our statics wouldn't fall apart. :p

Tabris

I sometimes wonder what other FC's are like in terms of statics. Is it just random people getting together like GAF (which makes it hard to find people sometimes), or do they create statics based on new members joining (you're going to be in static C, or here are the statics with openings - join one of them)?

WolvenOne

I sometimes wonder what other FC's are like in terms of statics. Is it just random people getting together like GAF, or do they create statics based on new members joining?

At least some of them out there don't do statics. I know of at least some that just have a large pool of players, whom the raid leaders tap as they're available.

The benefit of that sort of system is that it creates a lot more room for practice runs and such, and probably lets a larger number of people experience Coil. The downside I think, is that singular players whom struggle at X-Y-or-Z points, probably get pushed out of the pool fairly quickly, and that there's likely to be far less social cohesion in these sorts of set-ups.

Basically, they're good for practice, and clearing content, but probably aren't very good for team building.

Cmagus

I sometimes wonder what other FC's are like in terms of statics. Is it just random people getting together like GAF (which makes it hard to find people sometimes), or do they create statics based on new members joining (you're going to be in static C, or here are the statics with openings - join one of them)?

Most of the ones I've been in start with a static and then grow the FC around that. That being said the groups usually end up being a bunch of elitist players who in general aren't very friendly.

I thought about starting up a new static for coil and myth farming but I'm not sure yet. It would be nice to get some more end game content done. Last one I started (not GAF) fell apart do to time scheduling. Very difficult getting people together at the same time a lot of the time.

At least some of them out there don't do statics. I know of at least some that just have a large pool of players, whom the raid leaders tap as they're available.

The benefit of that sort of system is that it creates a lot more room for practice runs and such, and probably lets a larger number of people experience Coil. The downside I think, is that singular players whom struggle at X-Y-or-Z points, probably get pushed out of the pool fairly quickly, and that there's likely to be far less social cohesion in these sorts of set-ups.

Basically, they're good for practice, and clearing content, but probably aren't very good for team building.

I prefer this vastly to statics but unfortunately the game prevents this sort of play on new content due to lockouts. This works so much better in the long run though, much more friendly players and more people actually getting content done.

Cmagus

I couldn't see doing Second Coil not as a static.

I don't know everyone can learn the fights given the chance. I know in 1.0 a group of us got Garuda down and started bringing in new players and they quickly got it down and it just made getting everyone through content much easier. That being said this game has lockouts and alot of people who are in it for themselves only which is a pretty drastic change from 1.0 I've noticed.

GAF is a good group though plenty of good people and trust me you could be in some much worse FC that really scrape the bottom of the barrel.

WolvenOne

I couldn't see doing Second Coil not as a static.

The lockout system really discourages this sort of play, but supposedly some FC's do it this way regardless. *shrug*

Personally, I prefer statics for learning content myself.

Edit:

That said, if it were me, I'd design Coil so that Full-Lockouts were only around during the first patch phase of a given Raid's lifespan.

IE: First phase, raid is introduced, content is locked out after a clear, resets at the end of week.

Second Phase, after next major patch, Raid is moved to a gear lockout system, such as how CT was when it was first introduced. Players can re-run Turns as much as they'd like, but can only get one drop per turn per week.

Third Phase, all limitations are removed in the following patch, and echo is eventually introduced.

This would still encourage statics, but, it'd be considerably easier for people whom have had statics fall apart, or whom weren't able to get into a Coil static fairly early one.

WolvenOne

You know, every day I wake up, I expect to finally see the whole Defenders of Eorzea trailer.

Each, and every, single, day.

Seriously, we're almost down to two weeks until the patch, just how close are they going to cut it with a trailer?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You know, every day I wake up, I expect to finally see the whole Defenders of Eorzea trailer.

Each, and every, single, day.

Seriously, we're almost down to two weeks until the patch, just how close are they going to cut it with a trailer?

They've already shown like... everything.

IvorB

I was wondering what could be so hard that you need a group of people meeting regularly to beat it. So I just watched a guide of Turn 9. Ha ha ha!! That is F*CKED UP.

WolvenOne

I am rather fed up with the static model for raiding. My FC Is having a tough time finding dps and healers for Second Coil...

What did I say about the grass not being greener on the other side? XD

There are actually lots of DPS and healers whom I'm sure would be thrilled to run Second Coil right now. However, most of these players still don't have much experience with Second Coil, so they're not terribly attractive to any groups looking for experienced players.

This is another reason why the current lockout system is flawed. I can understand it's use during the first few months of a Raid's lifespan, but, after awhile it does kinda turn into a hurdle for newer or less experienced players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom