• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

hmm so it doesn't work? oh well
guess it's one of those things that you just do once and forget
unless the new i100 gear looks good for glamouring

Teknoman

Dont forget some people are probably at the point where they may be having mmo fatigue. Especially since we're probably right on the edge of an expansion. Thats my take anyway.

I still think the fight nights are pretty fun, too bad we cant queue for frontlines though.

Tabris

Hearing about "nonexistent leadership" cited as a reason for leaving makes me sad. Honestly, even though I haven't been logged in a lot for the last week or so, I'm still available whenever anybody needs me. I'm super easy to reach either through Guildwork or this site.

You're not the reason. You're existent and my favourite. Same with Kagari.

Aeana

I think the main problem is the other leaders haven't logged in much lately either.

Seems like Saff, Drama, and Bara are on a lot! Mira too except he's on his alt which isn't in the FC. I should probably talk to him about that. But I'll be on more again once my group is back from hiatus.

iammeiam

My long Titanian nightmare is over! GAF carried my ass to victory as I ran into exploding bombs, failed to run out of weights, occasionally ran into other weights while running out of the weights I was in, and at least once stood there doing nothing for fifteen seconds trying to convince the game to target the right Super Bomb.

So thank you again Natasha, Grimm, Kawazi, Foxio, Xtech, Bookey, and Ari for helping out and sticking with it.

My long Titanian nightmare is over! GAF carried my ass to victory as I ran into exploding bombs, failed to run out of weights, occasionally ran into other weights while running out of the weights I was in, and at least once stood there doing nothing for fifteen seconds trying to convince the game to target the right Super Bomb.

So thank you again Natasha, Grimm, Kawazi, Foxio, Xtech, Bookey, and Ari for helping out and sticking with it.

Grats again. Can help with Ifrit another day.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For Elrina Miona, whoever you are on here, look for this on your Nook. It'll teach you the basics of alcohol and mixing and provides a lot of the "staple" recipes in bars all over the world. The internet is also a good resource for recipes, but it can be a bit overwhelming, so a collected book of recipes is preferable in that sense.

As for equipment, you'll want a shaker set. That + whatever is in your kitchen should be enough to make most of the cocktails in the Little Black Book.

For interesting alcohols to try, one of my personal favorites is icewine, which is a very sweet, palatable wine that tastes like a little bit of heaven. I can't recommend any particular brand/source, I don't know enough about that, but I've yet to have a bad icewine.

Kenai

Hearing about "nonexistent leadership" cited as a reason for leaving makes me sad. Honestly, even though I haven't been logged in a lot for the last week or so, I'm still available whenever anybody needs me. I'm super easy to reach either through Guildwork or this site.

I think what you mentioned about people complaining about the FC housing can be applied here as well about teh vagueness and the inability to see that there's more than one way (or their way) to play the game. It's no personal person's LS, it's a community thing, and Illy is a recent example of people who want to do stuff being able to do that if they get off their butts (or at least ask, NOT DEMAND/WHINE/CRY there's a diff people, not naming names since I can't think of anyone in particular anyway).

I wouldn't feel too bad, the FC is big and there's no realistic way to please everyone. Maybe some of them will be happier elsewhere (or just keep moving around, idk, doesn't matter either way).

Tabris

People have called me out on a couple things here and I want to respond.

1) I complain about wanting to be carried? I haven't needed to be carried for anything in a long time, and when I did, I did complain that we didn't arrange events and just ended up doing all the fights myself and arranging my own static. It's opposite actually, I want to be the one carrying people, but I want it to matter. I want to help people out that aren't transitional members that will quit within a month because we invite everyone.

2) I'm not a leader of an FC, I both shouldn't have to put in the effort or want to put in the effort to arranging events for an FC that isn't mine with no leadership backup. I wouldn't mind helping events come along with leaders, but that didn't happen. Illy and Elrina were the only people I ever saw try to arrange an event since 2.1 patch came out.

3) The housing statement is vague? Fair enough, I think it looks really bad. It may seem silly but when personal housing comes in 2.3 and I want to spend entire time at house, I want it not look bad (to my taste and opinion, yes). I personally feel I wasted my donation since no feedback was ever accepted, however small it was (400k) but at that time (beginning of 2.1), it was everything I had.

4) The higher end of the FC is dieing off at the end of every patch and it becomes hard to arrange parties. Again, this doesn't matter much for me anymore due to having either completed everything and/or have static for rest, but this will be a problem with each patch cycle.

In the end, my expectations of an FC are different than what GAF offers (and I think always has been). No hard feelings, I want to see what else is out there. I wish GAF FC the best

Aeana

People have called me out on a couple things here and I want to respond.

1) I complain about wanting to be carried? I haven't needed to be carried for anything in a long time, and when I did, I did complain that we didn't arrange events and just ended up doing all the fights myself and arranging my own static. It's opposite actually, I want to be the one carrying people, but I want it to matter. I want to help people out that aren't transitional members that will quit within a month because we invite everyone.

2) I'm not a leader of an FC, I both shouldn't have to put in the effort or want to put in the effort to arranging events for an FC that isn't mine. I wouldn't mind helping events come along with leaders, but that didn't happen. Illy and Elrina were the only people I ever saw try to arrange an event since 2.1 patch came out.

3) The housing statement is vague? Fair enough, I think it looks really bad. It may seem silly but when personal housing comes in 2.3 and I want to spend entire time at house, I want it not look bad (to my taste and opinion, yes). I personally feel I wasted my donation since no feedback was ever accepted, however small it was (400k) but at that time (beginning of 2.1), it was everything I had.

4) The higher end of the FC is dieing off at the end of every patch and it becomes hard to arrange parties. Again, this doesn't matter much for me anymore due to having either completed everything and/or have static for rest, but this will be a problem with each patch cycle.

In the end, my expectations of an FC are different than what GAF offers (and I think always has been). No hard feelings, I want to see what else is out there. I wish GAF FC the best

I don't know where you got the idea that it is the leaders' job and ONLY the leaders' job to organize events. I'm sorry, with an FC with 500+ members, that is completely unfeasible. Everybody is capable of organizing, and we've made it easier to do via the Guildwork site. If that's your expectation for the FC, then yeah, it'll never be met. Being a leader has no ties to event organization, nor should it.

As for the FC clearing out at the end of each patch cycle, that is a reality of this game. It is not just something going on in our FC, it's going on everywhere.

Abe_Simpson_in_and_out.gif

;_;

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
What are the cross job abilities I should be going after for SMN? I remember using Swiftcast sometimes in the past, but that's about it.

Tabris

I don't know where you got the idea that it is the leaders' job and ONLY the leaders' job to organize events. I'm sorry, with an FC with 500+ members, that is completely unfeasible. Everybody is capable of organizing, and we've made it easier to do via the Guildwork site. If that's your expectation for the FC, then yeah, it'll never be met. Being a leader has no ties to event organization, nor should it.

What's the point of having leaders then? What do they actually do except apply FC buffs, gardening, and decorate the house how they want?

Any kind of guild usually has leaders that drive and delegate things like events. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. It may be for an FC with 500+ members, but then that's my problem, our size.

EDIT - I'm not the only one who feels this way. There's a lot that stay due to the friendships they have in GAF, then the actual FC.

Aeana

What's the point of having leaders then? What do they actually do except apply FC buffs and decorate the house how they want?

Any kind of guild usually has leaders that drive and delegate things like events. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. It may be for an FC with 500+ members, but then that's my problem, our size.

The point of having leaders is to deal with various administrative and disciplinary tasks. Nothing a leader can do, powerwise, is necessary in order to organize events.

Qvoth

I'm not even in ultros so this is just my opinion, but you have to realize as of now, the way the game is made there's not many things a fc can do

In the end coil is the only thing that matters, and the current state of the game is that static is the way to go

Tabris

The point of having leaders is to deal with various administrative and disciplinary tasks. Nothing a leader can do, powerwise, is necessary in order to organize events.

So in other words, the leaders apply FC buffs, accept/deny applications, garden, and decorate the house? Yeah, I want to be in an FC where the leaders do more.

Tabris

Well, good luck.

Thanks! So far pretty impressed by NA after a couple hours. Asked if anyone wanted to do maps and got a full PT within a couple minutes. They apparently do monthly prizes for different things, will be interested to see what that's about.

Cmagus

So in other words, the leaders apply FC buffs, accept/deny applications, garden, and decorate the house? Yeah, I want to be in an FC where the leaders do more.

The leaders job is to make sure everything is working right, organizing events for 400+ people is not easy and due to everyone's schedules not really that realistic.

We are nearing a new patch and people are burnt out right now which happens almost every patch. I would say GAF FC is probably more organized than most FC you'll find out there.

I've hopped around servers and been apart of many FC and you'll find most don't bother with things like events or even maintaining a proper website. At least with GAF there is alot of people to play with. If you go and join a 50 person FC you will find how limited your options are.

dark_chris

We lost more members today.
Mainly for the newbies not being helped out and the housing situation.

For the housing, I think it comes down to personal tastes really. The house looks fine to me. I don't see many people hang out inside it but I think the house could go for at least a monthly makeover just to please everyone else. i donate more than half a million gil and I'm fine with the result. In the end, we all put down gil so everyone can have a place to call "home". But when you have so many people pooling gil for the house, it'll be very hard to meet the expectations for everyone. Thats the reality. You can't have a house that all 500 members will like.

The things about helping the newbies are so so in terms of truth. When i see newbies needing help, yeah some members will jump but some won't get the help they need. I try to volunteer whenever I'm able to.

As for events, its not the leader's job to make events. Its up to people who take the initiative, like Illy who did a fantastic job creating the PVP event on Saturdays. If theres an event, say your idea and get a show of hands of who would want in. May not be immediate but you could keep asking or create a sign in like Illy did.

And its true that people in the FC start clearing out during the end of the patch. Its not just the FC but everywhere else as well, so one shouldn't get the idea that the game is dying or something. The game is technically still young and more stuff keeps getting added in each patch.

Ive been with GAF FC for a long time and its definitely a cool company to hang out with. Ive made friends there and people are funny. If people want to leave the FC and want to experience others, hey, i think thats fine. We always welcomed back people.

Apparently, some of the former members joined NA.

The leadership is a bit shaky to me at least. Ive asked a few times in the FC chat for my friend to be accepted since he submitted an application and he never got accepted, especially since we got room.

If people are having trouble with Coil. Your best bet is to look on GAF. and if you're still missing members, branch out and PF it. The current static i have is a combination of GAF members and those outside of it because, back then, the GAF members walked out of the static and i was charged to find replacements outta nowhere. I remember this aggravated me cause the members just up and left but we "believe"d, held together and recreated a better static than ever before.
Also, its always good to have alts too whenever some members aren't on. My static LS has 20 members - 8 primary and 12 alts for whenever someone cannot be on. The alt members know they are alts so whenever a member cannot get on, we ask them to join us and it always works out.

I may not be an officer and just stay as a member, but Im quite active and on everyday.

Thanks! So far pretty impressed by NA after a couple hours. Asked if anyone wanted to do maps and got a full PT within a couple minutes. They apparently do monthly prizes for different things, will be interested to see what that's about.

One of the members was curious and acted surprised at NA's membership going up all of a sudden. lol.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

GAF is super casual.

MogCakes

FCs take on all different forms of administration and governance. GAF is more or less a free-run casual democracy. NA has more of a governing presence in their staff, but is also very casual. All large FCs tend to be this way. Mid-size FCs tend to be more focused and small FCs are more or less just groups of friends playing together.

It's interesting to see how the FCs affect the player base. GAF pretty much runs Ultros, though much like Apple with Microsoft in the 80's I'm sure NA would love to dethrone it.

If people are having trouble with Coil. Your best bet is to look on GAF. and if you're still missing members, branch out and PF it. The current static i have is a combination of GAF members and those outside of it because, back then, the GAF members walked out of the static and i was charged to find replacements outta nowhere. I remember this aggravated me cause the members just up and left but we "believe"d, held together and recreated a better static than ever before.
Also, its always good to have alts too whenever some members aren't on. My static LS has 20 members - 8 primary and 12 alts for whenever someone cannot be on. The alt members know they are alts so whenever a member cannot get on, we ask them to join us and it always works out.

Belieber 4 lyfe.

<3

If a group can't have some laughs through the failures, I don't see it lasting.

Mesharey

It says the unidentified tome will drop, so you can get i100 sword. For PLD it's 910 soldiery plus the tome, for everyone else it is 1300 sold plus the tome.

Noct Hoplon isn't terrible, and probably an upgrade at least over i90. The block strength is excellent, a full 38% reduction on weathered iirc, which means it's almost like having sentinel up for physical attacks whenever you block. Makes bulwark a really strong cooldown too. The problem is just how RNG it is, you can never really rely on it since it's rate is so low. I much prefer consistency over spikes in damage, so I'd generally only take a Tower shield if there are no other options at that ilevel. I only used the Noct for a week or so before getting my Animus, and prefer it for now.

If you aren't hurting for soldiery I'd at least take it and try it out, see what you think, if you can't spare the soldiery then I'd just get the Animus. It's only 2 books for shield so it doesn't take too long to get.
I've been thinking about that (sword), it will be hard to get unidentified tome but that's better than farming atma. :p

It seems I'll try the Noct at least and check what happens.

Qvoth

to all the new players that are stuck with titan/levi ex etc, do not be ashamed of buying carries
i bought titan ex back when i was still in ultros (i asked gaf fc for help but you know how it goes, that's just the way it is), now i'm 4th in t9 clear race in tonberry server (at least on the english community side that posts on the official tonberry forums)

as a dps, weapon is much more important than armor/accessories, so just get those fights over with, get your zenith/primal/turn5/ i100s from levi ex, and just keep farming soldieries

WolvenOne

Just for context.

I'm not leaving, have no plans to leave, and I suspect i would be annoyed at any attempts to poach me. Not that I'm really worth poaching, I still consider myself a middle tier player at this point, but, be that as it may.

There are way too many people within the FC that I personally like, and enjoy socializing with.

As for events, yeah I kinda feel guilty that I haven't organized anything more formal myself. I have helped people through content, but right now Coil and Novus are taking up too much of my game time to help out other players on a large scale.

Once I've got my Novus down, I'll probably put more effort into organizing T5 and Extreme Primals groups for players that want to learn.

Still, a lot of this is going on anyway. Just because nobody is advertising, doesn't mean that higher level players aren't helping newer players with progress.

A lot of its just, casual help, done on the down low.

Oh wow, they brought back the Behemoth you fought in XII as a Hunt!

Probably just me but the top floor of Syrcus Tower is giving me Giruvegan vibes, mainly the first area of the holy city where you're walking around and fight that Dullahan.

Nohar

Dat BRD outfit. Pimp my hat.
Well, still better than the pink toilet paper armor I had.

*sigh*
I really shouldn't be on this thread. I want and I don't want to come back at the same time. It's just bad for me.

It's likely that the left-most armor is the tank armor. If you compare the dark-armored lala in the middle with the dark-armored hyur on the right, you can see some very subtle color differences. The dark blue armor is probably two separate sets for MNK and DRG.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I need a better book for my Scholar and the only good alternatives are Allagan, Wave or the relic which involves doing atma all over again. Not sure which one will do more damage to my sanity.
Eh, maybe Ramuh's is gonna be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom