• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome stuff there. I wonder what the male version of the caster gear looks like, or if it's the same and we'll be seeing manroes running around in dresses for a while.

Teknoman

Man Bard looks best this time around!

I'll toss in my 2 gil about events:

Personally, I think that if you've got a good idea for an FC event or even something that you know would be helpful to alot of people, schedule it and then talk it up in the FC, FC forums, and here. Doesnt have to be leader responsibility.

Edit: Soken overdrive. That Ramuh music sounds like final boss or second to final boss music. Glad they finally used that early FFXIV 1.0 website music for something with hullbreaker. Even though Octomammoth is a catchable fish, that boss really did seem like Octomammoth. Creepy demons...and more music remixes from FF 3. The main CT bosses look much better when not all aglow. Also yay for a battle atop a CT balcony!

squadr0n

So I've got a quick question about tanking. I've been leveling my gladiator up to 27 getting ready to get my paladin but I was wondering about the marauder tanking class. How do u differentiate tanking from dps as a marauder and about what level do u make this choice? Should I level my paladin to 50 before worrying about other jobs or would a marauder be a better tanking choice late game?

zeopower6

Oo, Fan Festival (Las Vegas) preorder details are up.

Teaser site:
http://ffxiv-fanfest.com/

Tickets for the NA festival will be $120 dollars.

Presale for current NA subscribers will start in about two weeks on July 8th, with promotional codes being sent out starting July 1st. There will be 1,800 tickets available for presale with a maximum of 4 tickets per account. Sales are final.

General sales start July 15th and are expected to sell out.

Each ticket holder will be able to get a number of goodies including an unannounced in-game item. A t-shirt is also likely to be given out in limited quantities.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I've got a quick question about tanking. I've been leveling my gladiator up to 27 getting ready to get my paladin but I was wondering about the marauder tanking class. How do u differentiate tanking from dps as a marauder and about what level do u make this choice? Should I level my paladin to 50 before worrying about other jobs or would a marauder be a better tanking choice late game?

I'm not sure I'm reading you right but there is no such thing as switchingbetween DPS and Tank in FFXIV. Generally, Jobs/Classes are locked into one role. While Paladins and Warriors have Tanking "stances" (Shield Oath for the former, Defiance for the latter), just because they're not in their Tanking stance doesn't mean they can suddenly fulfill the roll of a DPS. In the Duty Finder, they'll always be considered a tank, and outside of premades, you'll be expected to tank/offtank.

As for which to choose, it's personal preference. They're both viable at end game, as far as I know. Warrior tends to be more aggressive, having higher health pools but taking more damage, whereas Paladins tend to be more defensive with their toolbox of damage mitigation cooldowns.

dramatis

No drama, just wanted to see what it's like in another FC.
Leaving with the message "garbage house and lack of leadership" is obviously just causing drama.
People have called me out on a couple things here and I want to respond.

1) I complain about wanting to be carried? I haven't needed to be carried for anything in a long time, and when I did, I did complain that we didn't arrange events and just ended up doing all the fights myself and arranging my own static. It's opposite actually, I want to be the one carrying people, but I want it to matter. I want to help people out that aren't transitional members that will quit within a month because we invite everyone.
Just two days ago you asked for a dps for T5 farm party, and someone who knew how to clear T5 asked to join, but you turned him down because his ilvl was too low. Don't portray yourself as any sort of helpful fellow please.

You will never be able to tell who will stay and who will go, because real life trumps the game. "I want it to matter" is just an excuse not to help others. Be honest: you didn't want to help people who asked because you were busy with your own thing.

2) I'm not a leader of an FC, I both shouldn't have to put in the effort or want to put in the effort to arranging events for an FC that isn't mine with no leadership backup. I wouldn't mind helping events come along with leaders, but that didn't happen. Illy and Elrina were the only people I ever saw try to arrange an event since 2.1 patch came out.
Complaining that the FC leaders aren't making FC events and the like, it's like you're complaining that the FC leaders aren't making the game more fun for you. Should the FC leaders have to arrange events for FC just because they are FC leaders? You might want to note that Illya washed his hands of the PVP event management because FC members did not cooperate very well with his planning. The FC leaders aren't paid. They're not obligated to provide additional entertainment to satisfy you and your glamorous ideals of what leadership should be.

3) The housing statement is vague? Fair enough, I think it looks really bad. It may seem silly but when personal housing comes in 2.3 and I want to spend entire time at house, I want it not look bad (to my taste and opinion, yes). I personally feel I wasted my donation since no feedback was ever accepted, however small it was (400k) but at that time (beginning of 2.1), it was everything I had.
I donated well over a million, and at the time I spent my tomes and time getting materials for the super crafters to make more money to get the house. If I recall correctly, there were at least twenty other people who donated much more than you. There were people who donated more than me. So who comes first in the 'feedback' list? You said the house looks like garbage, I tried to change it to make it look better, but you never once offered any substantial commentary.

Should we let everyone who donated have a say in the decor then? Decoration by committee is not something that will result in something that looks good. In the end you'd probably say it's garbage house anyway. You called it garbage house before the recent renovations, and you called it garbage house after.

The past three months I poured hours into getting the soil and seeds for tending the garden, to grow the materials needed to make the crafting stations and instruments for the house. My activities are literally revolve around 5AM Eorzea time, the time I have to go and get 1 soil. The FC CL has three people gathering soil and three backup stacks of Grade 3 soil for their garden. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel every time I have to plant, because you can only get one soil an hour and the only one in the FC who camps the node religiously while online is me, and while a few people have contributed a few soils, 24 plots is 24 soils a week. I don't get much gil from gardening, outside of something like selling the grown Honey Lemons to NPC because they're worth less on market board.

Thanks for calling it a garbage house. Good to know you see but you don't observe.
In the end, my expectations of an FC are different than what GAF offers (and I think always has been). No hard feelings, I want to see what else is out there. I wish GAF FC the best
I heard additional details about why you left, which is that you disliked me and Bara in particular. And I think it's extremely petty of you, because I can understand my abrasive attitude in FC chat might invite dislike, but Bara who poured 10 million tears into the house, helps craft all kinds of things for other people, and didn't cause drama over small shit? The only reason you could possibly dislike Bara is because you didn't get your choice for FC leader when Maple appointed new leaders. Which means you would have been bitter anyway if it had been anyone but your own personal choice.

Even if you had different expectations, instead of venturing forth with your own efforts, you're leaning on Illyasviel and Elrina as crutches. And in the end you leave with claims of dissatisfaction, but you're someone who didn't do anything for the FC either.
The leadership is a bit shaky to me at least. Ive asked a few times in the FC chat for my friend to be accepted since he submitted an application and he never got accepted, especially since we got room.
Not sure who you are in GAF FC, but who is the person you're trying to get invited? Are you Mary Benedictus?

Unfortunately for some of the leaders who are frequently on, if the FC is full and hasn't been purged by a higher ranking officer, we can't accept new members because lower ranked leaders can't kick members. After the massacre two days ago though we can probably do it now.

If someone refers to themselves as 'friend of so and so' and doesn't have a gaf account, usually we consult with 'so and so' to make sure it's a legitimate claim. Sometimes it's hard to catch people online.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Re: New Trailer.

- I absolutely LOVE the callback for that unfortunate adventurer from early in the storyline for Tam-Tara Hardcroft.

- CT Armor looks absolutely terrible.

- A Glimpse at (end game 2.0 spoilers)
Zodiark? Or perhaps just the leader of the Ascian movement? Also, they looked awfully Organization XII-ish...which is sort of lame.

- I have no desire to travel to a certain snowy hellhole any time soon. But it seems I'm in the minority. Coerthas and dealing with anything related to the Ishgardians was easily the worst part of the main campaign.

- Primal/Lore theory here...
I'm still betting that Shiva is "Halone" and is the Primal of Ishgard itself. She certainly fits the description. If this turns out true, this completely flips "The Twelve" on its head.

- Finally, has Alisaie shared nothing about the events of the two Coils with the other Scions?! The disconnect between the campaign and coil storyline (both of which are pretty major) is baffling to me.

Haly

I'll just point out that I was invited within a day or two of submitting my application. Didn't even have to ask anyone about it.

kiryogi

Banned
The realities of FC and leadership all depend on what kind of FC/leadership you want to be. It's constant growing pains with members leaving and bickering. And just maybe, you might be content with how things are. Really though, it's hard to deal with if you have something on a either huge or small scale. It's a question of if the FC is a fit for you, and/or if the leadership is willing/wanting to step it up to further engage their entire membership. There should be transparent lines of communication however on what the leadership plans to do. If they really think they're simply administrative then so be it, find a different free company.

I will say though, leaders willing to engage, will create a stronger membership. That's simply how its always been in any group/organization. It's no easy feat, maybe it's a question if it's time for new leadership even. We've been going through growing pains and bickering on Sargatanas, and still continue to. It's a question of will you learn and grow from it? Or let it fester.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What's the point of having leaders then?
In a FC the size of GAF? Nothing really. When a FC gets as big as GAF is it becomes more of a social hub, like a linkshell with benefits. If you're looking for something more engaging you have to find your own group within the FC and make it work. If you're looking to find a tight knit FC where everybody knows everybody then you probably won't find it here.

None of this is anyone's fault either, it's just the nature of having a large group of people from one website in one place. You can still find your niche and make it work as various statics have in the FC, but it's going to take work.

This is all speaking in general though and is in no way aimed to be a slight at you for wanting something different or GAF being Xbox Huge.

Side note: Large houses in general suck. Too much space. Medium houses r da best.

*edit
I feel I should clarify something a bit. I'm not trying to imply that GAF leaders are useless. Instead I'm saying that any member, leader or no, can step up and try to make or organize something. It may or may not work, but it doesn't require any specific FC rank to try.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, seeing people talk about 500+ members makes me jealous. My FC is dying. Unfortunately, I'm not on the gaf jp server, so I just have to deal with it.

At least I'm part of some kickass linkshells.

Man, seeing people talk about 500+ members makes me jealous. My FC is dying. Unfortunately, I'm not on the gaf jp server, so I just have to deal with it.

At least I'm part of some kickass linkshells.
As an outsider every time I check this thread there is some kind of FC drama so I don't think having 500+ members is all that grand, lol.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Doesn't look like the Diabolos server has a GAF community I can leverage, but I dived in on the PS4 version after playing during the initial, pre-ARR launch and then shortly after ARR on PC.

Really enjoying it so far and looking forward to end game. How active is the GAF community? How interested in progression? Is it worth server transferring?

Isaccard

BjTv76G.png

fN3WS2w.png

The new vanity gear looks nice too

Mesharey

As an outsider every time I check this thread there is some kind of FC drama so I don't think having 500+ members is all that grand, lol.
FC with 15 members is way better than 200+, if you're in the 15 one then you know every member and you can help each other.
I was in a FC that has 200+, didn't know anyone then changed it to another with 15 members, I'm having way more fun now.

Isaccard

Apologies for double posting but

So in other words, the leaders apply FC buffs, accept/deny applications, garden, and decorate the house? Yeah, I want to be in an FC where the leaders do more.

This is realistically is the ONLY thing anyone should expect from "leadership" in the FC. That and the removal of people who are disruptive to the FC (like you) and that hamper the experience for other people in the game.
Tiv dont boot me pls ;_;
Officers/leaders aren't meant to be tour guides for 500+ people in the game.

One of our most successful recent FC events PvP night was planned and organized completely (I'm presumming here so credit where it's due) by a non leader/officer Illya. You don't need someone with a leader/officer tag to do these things for you. It's an MMO, there's 500+ members, go out and be social instead of waiting around for someone to come and hold your hand to do stuff.

As long as teleport buff is up, and there's someone around to accept applications or giving inactive members the boot, the leadership is doing their job. The rest is up to you.

That said, when was the last tine Elliott put up a buff. I think a demotion may be in order :eek:

suzu

The nice thing about playing a lalafell is that goofy looking armor can still look cute on them. I want that hat for my bard~

IvorB

Okay we are in full Clan Drama Mode now.

The trailer looks awesome. Although I really hate Coerthas because of that dreadful organ music they grind out in the cities. Seriously sometimes I just have to mute the sound until I am back out in the wilderness.

Haly

It's like GAF, the mods are here to keep the peace, not make threads for you and guide every single discussion. Some guilds do things like this, but it's by no means the only type of guild, or some kind of norm to be adhered to. That the FC does not meet your expectations is, in no way, shape, or form, a valid reason for the criticism you levied against it. It's fine to want something different, but to accuse people of not delivering on promises they never made is the height of arrogance.

Semper88

That CT2 stuff looks funky!

Made a casual static yesterday on Phoenix with a few FC members and friends.
Almost got Titan EX down in 4 tries so its a promising group as it stands now. Managed to auto walk of the edge while tanking tho that delivered a good laugh.

Jayhawk

Regarding the leadership subject, there are many helpful mentors in the FC that are not in official leadership roles that are open to providing advice and help out for random trials. People just have to ask in FC chat for assistance, but they also have to keep in mind that some possible helpers have scheduled events or are preoccupied to help you at that specific time.

Anyways, I will be available to make any new master weaver, leather, or goldsmith pieces for FC members in 2.3 if materials are provided. This is assuming they don't change the craftsmanship and control requirements for 3-star stuff.

Isaccard

It's like GAF, the mods are here to keep the peace, not make threads for you and guide every single discussion. Some guilds do things like this, but it's by no means the only type of guild, or some kind of norm to be adhered to. That the FC does not meet your expectations is, in no way, shape, or form, a valid reason for the criticism you levied against it. It's fine to want something different, but to accuse people of not delivering on promises they never made is the height of arrogance.

It's lilke you said what I said, but better than I could've said it >:3

Anyways, I will be available to make any new master weaver, leather, or goldsmith pieces for FC members in 2.3 if materials are provided. This is assuming they don't change the craftsmanship and control requirements for 3-star stuff.

Make me leve items for Alchemy :eek:

FC with 15 members is way better than 200+, if you're in the 15 one then you know every member and you can help each other.
I was in a FC that has 200+, didn't know anyone then changed it to another with 15 members, I'm having way more fun now.

I was in a small FC before switching to GAF, just as I was starting out in the game, and I kind of agree.

There isn't much point to a huge FC where no one knows each other, other than the occasional chocobo exp buff. I guess other than being the biggest FC on the server.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
That's pretty cool. Too bad you have to go to Ct to get it because everything I've heard about CT sounds not fun.

so many new enemy models, nice! hopefully the new HM aren't as shallow as the last batch of HMs. at least make it old pharos level.

big lol at the VA.

hype rising......from 1% to 3%.

Paprikka

So for Tamtara hard it looks like the crazy healer that carries around her boyfriend's head is back and probably trying to revive him. Would explain that creepy final boss being pretty much a giant head too.

aceface

GAF is a loosely knit FC that provides a large pool of players to draw from to do stuff with. That's the main benefit of large FC's like GAF. I know many of us have taken advantage of this in putting Coil statics and other parties together.

That said I don't begrudge people who want a more focused guild experience. The criticisms of the house are incomprehensible to me though. It's fine. Regardless of what you think of the decor, the house is serving the main purpose of FC housing well, it provides a gathering place and hub for the guild. The gathering place is the front lawn mostly I think because there's a market board out there and people don't want to sit through another loading screen to get in the house. Plus outside you can mingle with people from the other FC's more, etc. It's fine!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
My input into the FC discussion: I've always been amazed as a casual player how quickly people will provide assistance for dungeons, even when I was progressing through the easy ones. I always ask in FC chat before starting duty finder because I always pick up a few people.

The only issue is my playtimes don't often coincide with peak times. Also, yeah, the house is kind of a mess >_>

IvorB

So for Tamtara hard it looks like the crazy healer that carries around her boyfriend's head is back and probably trying to revive him. Would explain that creepy final boss being pretty much a giant head too.

Wait... what? No ways! The woman that was crapped on by her party and had her boyfriend's head in a bag, she's back?

Teknoman

I still think everyone in the fc should add the forum name in their profile. At any rate, i still match names with personalities too, so even ina big fc, you can still have close connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom