• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Whee, and who knows maybe I can get in a group that can beat Garuda and Titan now.

Is the guild currently full? What annoyed me with Hydra was the fact that I had beaten it several times, just never with my Legendary. Then when I needed it, I ended up in groups that were just painfully bad.

Hydra isn't a big deal these days, so many players are so over geared for the fight now that you can almost ignore the mechanics.

Plus people run it quite frequently, because of the Trial Roulette system, which sends you to a random boss in a random party, in exchange for extra Tomes, and Gil.

Basically, you can expect to be past Hydra and the HM Primals within a day, two tops.

After that though, we'll he's supposed to be nerfed at some point, but until then, beware Titan Extreme, crusher of souls, bringer of tears.

For context, at this point the HM level fights amount to.

Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, Chimera, Hydra, King Moogle Mog, Ultima HM, Gilgamesh, and Leviathan.

So you have a chunk of content you can go through before hitting the Extremes.

Croyles

Getting the itch to play this game again, but will have to wait at least a few more weeks until things settle down here, and then will probably take me a loooong time to get my head around all the new shit + new people :p

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
N0g2ptI.png

Why does that look like a Cat Girl Lightning?

dwix

I've been away for a while but the siren's song is calling me again.

The 2.3 patch video sealed the deal, I'll be hopping back on once that hits. Is there still room in the FC these days? I'll assume I've been booted out for inactivity at this point.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well I am back at the game. Just bought the sub again. Will actually try to finish the story line and do the post-game goodies. If the GAF Ultros FC is still alive and has space just let me know who to PM. Had some fun with you guys in the past :p

MechaX

I've been leveling BLM because I'm thinking "hey, I'm getting all caster stuff Coil for my SMN alt, why not level up a BLM to have double use for it!" But good god damn is this class boring. I don't know if it opens up tremendously in the late 30s and on (I'm only level 35 with it so far), but man, I am just not digging this fire rotation-oriented approach.

I got PGL up to 25 and that's pretty fun, but I don't think that rolling 3 DPS classes will make me any more marketable (not like I'm marketable in the game, let alone the GAF FC to begin with).

So I had the crazy idea to start leveling up Conjurer, despite how I have never touched healing in an MMO ever. If I'm a filthy controller user, how much suffering am I set for in later levels?

Indignate

Just picked this up on Steam due to pestering from friends.

Will probably start playing this weekend, but any helpful newbie tips for starting out?

Noi

Black Mage is incredibly boring until you get Fire/Bliz III Firestarter and can get Thundercloud procs with Thunder III. It's even worse when you get a taste of da powah but do a low level roulette and get stuck having to use Transpose to swap between stacks again.

supergiz

I've been leveling BLM because I'm thinking "hey, I'm getting all caster stuff Coil for my SMN alt, why not level up a BLM to have double use for it!" But good god damn is this class boring. I don't know if it opens up tremendously in the late 30s and on (I'm only level 35 with it so far), but man, I am just not digging this fire rotation-oriented approach.

I got PGL up to 25 and that's pretty fun, but I don't think that rolling 3 DPS classes will make me any more marketable (not like I'm marketable in the game, let alone the GAF FC to begin with).

So I had the crazy idea to start leveling up Conjurer, despite how I have never touched healing in an MMO ever. If I'm a filthy controller user, how much suffering am I set for in later levels?

I think once you get fire starter it gets decent. Then there is the buff they are doing next patch

After two weeks of doing Turn 5 through PF groups, the only thing I'm sure of is that misery loves company.

Contemplating giving an alt the reigns to an FC to join up with GAF again. I miss the idlers in front of that summoning bell and Elrina sitting on that balcony (if she's still around).

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to FFXIV. I have a level 26 Archer in a different server but for a while I have been wanting to start a conjurer. When I discovered the GAF FC I decided to start a new character to join in on the fun there.

I have a couple of questions. First, how hard is a healer in this game? I had a high level healer in WoW but that was a long time ago. Also, is there any space in the FC GAF? I submitted my application throught the guildworks website but have yet to submit my application in game.

Any tips on healing? I would really appreciate it. Sorry if I derail any conversations. :)

I have healed everything up to Melusine on a pad with ease and I am awful. You will do quite fine.

Hey guys,

So I just got a nice promotion inside my company and am planning to congratulate myself by finally picking up FF XIV on PC while it is on sale!

However, one issue I have is that my current gaming PC has died (probably a blown power supply and will hopefully have it fixed by next payday), so I am currently using my Steam Machine prototype that I received earlier this year.

I am worried about how it will run FFXIV, and I have one quick question.

When buying the PC version, when does the free 30 day license start? Is it when purchasing the game or do you actually have an option of when to activate it?

I ask because I was thinking of picking up the PC version, using a friend's account to test out the performance before activating my own account.
I know there is a benchmark program and I plan to run it just in case, but I don't always trust those. (for example back in the day the FFXI benchmark ran great on my PC but the actual game ran like complete shit)

Anyone know how it works on PC?

SkyOdin

Healing is easy with a controller, since you can just use up and down on the control pad to select party members. So there are no downsides whatsoever to playing a healer using a controller compared to mouse and keyboard. My brother has had no trouble running endgame content as a White Mage while using a PS3 controller.

Don't worry about not having any experience healing in an MMO before, the FFXIV is good at easing you into the role. The first few dungeons are a really easy job as a healer. It does get much harder at higher levels, but by then you should have plenty of practice and experience.

Istaerion

Hey guys,

So I just got a nice promotion inside my company and am planning to congratulate myself by finally picking up FF XIV on PC while it is on sale!

However, one issue I have is that my current gaming PC has died (probably a blown power supply and will hopefully have it fixed by next payday), so I am currently using my Steam Machine prototype that I received earlier this year.

I am worried about how it will run FFXIV, and I have one quick question.

When buying the PC version, when does the free 30 day license start? Is it when purchasing the game or do you actually have an option of when to activate it?

I ask because I was thinking of picking up the PC version, using a friend's account to test out the performance before activating my own account.
I know there is a benchmark program and I plan to run it just in case, but I don't always trust those. (for example back in the day the FFXI benchmark ran great on my PC but the actual game ran like complete shit)

Anyone know how it works on PC?

Your free subscription time begins the moment you register the key to your Square-Enix account.

As for the Benchmark, it seems it's fairly reliable, however, it obviously won't account for extreme conditions such as main towns or massive scale FATEs and events.

Mairu

The patch trailer was pretty cool but I'm kind of dreading the patch since my group wants to go all out on Brutal. Hopefully next week we'll get a useful weapon from T9 and not another monk/paladin weapon. Goodbye one hour a week coil!

Ken

The patch trailer was pretty cool but I'm kind of dreading the patch since my group wants to go all out on Brutal. Hopefully next week we'll get a useful weapon from T9 and not another monk/paladin weapon. Goodbye one hour a week coil!

Brutal isn't in 2.3 though? Unless it is; they didn't put it in the trailer. D:

suzu

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to FFXIV. I have a level 26 Archer in a different server but for a while I have been wanting to start a conjurer. When I discovered the GAF FC I decided to start a new character to join in on the fun there.

I have a couple of questions. First, how hard is a healer in this game? I had a high level healer in WoW but that was a long time ago. Also, is there any space in the FC GAF? I submitted my application throught the guildworks website but have yet to submit my application in game.

Any tips on healing? I would really appreciate it. Sorry if I derail any conversations. :)

It shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you've played a healer before in WoW / other MMOs.

Send an in-game application and someone will eventually invite you.

Your free subscription time begins the moment you register the key to your Square-Enix account.

As for the Benchmark, it seems it's fairly reliable, however, it obviously won't account for extreme conditions such as main towns or massive scale FATEs and events.

Thanks for the info!

Alright, so it is possible to test it out using another account then.
After looking over the page that is what it sounded like.

Hopefully, my steam machine will run it at a decent framerate so I can get right into the game and not wait until I fix my main gaming PC.

Looking forward to finally diving into this game, as it really seems to keep
all of the details I loved about FFXI and gets rid of all the stuff I absolutely hated!

It shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you've played a healer before in WoW / other MMOs.

Send an in-game application and someone will eventually invite you.

Lol eventually. Thanks. :) I'm finding the class(currently only level 5) very appealing as it doesn't seem to be focused solely on healing. Though, if I'm mistaken I'll surely see this by the first dungeon.

Istaerion

Thanks for the info!

Alright, so it is possible to test it out using another account then.
After looking over the page that is what it sounded like.

Hopefully, my steam machine will run it at a decent framerate so I can get right into the game and not wait until I fix my main gaming PC.

Looking forward to finally diving into this game, as it really seems to keep
all of the details I loved about FFXI and gets rid of all the stuff I absolutely hated!

You're free to log on another user's account provided you have the client downloaded... just make sure you don't register your key on his/her account though.

If you don't have the client yet, be aware that you will need to log on an active account in order to begin the download process.

Anyhow, hope ya enjoy the game should it run well enough!

aceface

Brutal isn't in 2.3 though? Unless it is; they didn't put it in the trailer. D:

I believe they said it was going to be in 2.3, although they left it out of the trailer. There's other stuff too, like new side quests where you work with the delivery Moogle delivering letters (excite).

Ken

I believe they said it was going to be in 2.3, although they left it out of the trailer. There's other stuff too, like new side quests where you work with the delivery Moogle delivering letters (excite).

2.3 can mean everything all the way up to 2.4 though, no?

I guess we'll find out soon anyways.

suzu

Lol eventually. Thanks. :) I'm finding the class(currently only level 5) very appealing as it doesn't seem to be focused solely on healing. Though, if I'm mistaken I'll surely see this by the first dungeon.

You can dps a bit in dungeons if the tank's health is stable and damage isn't flying everywhere. If the party is under-geared or just plain sucks, then yeah, you'll be more focused on healing. lol

Some tanks find Fluid Aura annoying, so you might not want to use it in dungeons (unless you're getting beat up and nobody notices right away).

Edit: Oh and Cleric Stance = your dps stance. Click this off when you're healing or else your healing spells will suck.

You're free to log on another user's account provided you have the client downloaded... just make sure you don't register your key on his/her account though.

If you don't have the client yet, be aware that you will need to log on an active account in order to begin the download process.

Anyhow, hope ya enjoy the game should it run well enough!

Aha, so that could be a roadblock. Is that the case with buying it on Steam as well?

Thinking about taking advantage of the sale to grab the CE. I love me some Fat Chocobo!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Okay so I'm on my alt and decided to go CNJ. Just healed my first dungeon ever in an mmo (and I've been playing them for a long-ass time, I've simply always been dps >.>)

That was pretty fun. Mind you I only have two healing spells, but hey. I enjoyed myself. But does anyone have any general healing tips, as well as any specific tips to keep in mind for CNJ/WHM/Healing in xiv in general?

Okay so I'm on my alt and decided to go CNJ. Just healed my first dungeon ever in an mmo (and I've been playing them for a long-ass time, I've simply always been dps >.>)

That was pretty fun. Mind you I only have two healing spells, but hey. I enjoyed myself. But does anyone have any general healing tips, as well as any specific tips to keep in mind for CNJ/WHM/Healing in xiv in general?

Manage your mana. Don't over heal. That's really it. :p your job is to make sure bars stay full(but don't spam heals) now where before it was to make bars go empty. I don't feel like theres a set rotation as a healer so don't worry about that either.

Stay in cleric stance and always blame tank/EOS if things go south.
just kidding to both these tidbits of advice

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

I've always found it mostly to be a matter of learning enemies' behaviors so that you can anticipate incoming damage as well as reading how your party members play. That way you can tell whether someone will need a little extra healing, or that they can be left alone for a while so that you can do some dps, switching back to healing when needed. Healing in MMOs tends to be more situational and context driven, I find. At least that's how I approach it.

All these darn tanks speed running every endgame dungeon without asking anyone...too bad I play MNK and won't use my aoe rotation!

In other news, I hate Bards in EX Garuda, they just can't stop themselves aoeing. After trying to get 2 newbie's through it for 2 hours, we finally got it down. It does seem silly people aren't willing to watch a video or do a little research into the fight...

Kenai

Just picked this up on Steam due to pestering from friends.

Will probably start playing this weekend, but any helpful newbie tips for starting out?

Play the class you want to play the most since after you progress in the story some (think maybe a day of playing or two at the most for a newbie) you will be able to switch to whatever class you want. You might end up liking a different class more: again, that is fine, but once you find a class you really like you might want to stick with it to 50 instead of switching around too much since a lot of the storyline requires a certain level to finish.

Starting race doesn't matter much at all so pick the one you like best aesthetically and spend some time customizing since there are quite a few options but some like height and eye color and whatever are unavailable to change later unless you use a Fantasia.

And while sidequests are well and good (and some are pretty important) you will probably want to focus on the main story (the ! symbol will be outlined with flame and if you forget what is next check the book at the inn) since tons and tons of stuff is unlocked that way.

That should be enough to stat. After you get 30 or so there's a lot of other sidequests you're gonna want to do to unlock things like job crystals and logs and whatnot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
All these darn tanks speed running every endgame dungeon without asking anyone...too bad I play MNK and won't use my aoe rotation!

In other news, I hate Bards in EX Garuda, they just can't stop themselves aoeing. After trying to get 2 newbie's through it for 2 hours, we finally got it down. It does seem silly people aren't willing to watch a video or do a little research into the fight...

Was doing Ifrit EX last night, and the BLM kept LBing the big nail instead of letting my DRG LB. :(

We ended up getting through it by the skin of our teeth.

You can dps a bit in dungeons if the tank's health is stable and damage isn't flying everywhere. If the party is under-geared or just plain sucks, then yeah, you'll be more focused on healing. lol

Some tanks find Fluid Aura annoying, so you might not want to use it in dungeons (unless you're getting beat up and nobody notices right away).

Edit: Oh and Cleric Stance = your dps stance. Click this off when you're healing or else your healing spells will suck.

Thanks alot for your help. I'll keep that stance in mind once I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom