• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Since these are people looking for their first clears, I consider them all learning groups where hopefully we will get a kill. I'll make this clear who anyone who agrees to help, if it isn't already. What I'm looking for is a relaxed, encouraging atmosphere where people can hone their skills.

Also, as I put in the huge post I wrote on the guildwork forums to help out the most people and make it fair for everyone we'll stick around for one full arena timer for each duty when there is more than one person signed up.

So right now the schedule would look something like this:
9pm - 10pm (or clear) Titan ex with Trojita.
10pm- 11 pm (or clear) Ultima HM with eternal pal.
11pm- new person or back to Titan ex or Ifrit ex with Trojita.

And so on.

Yikes. Can't help with that sorry.

It's typically the double wicked wheels, but on occasion some blm decides to aoe razor plumes killing spiny in process

Is the MT a PLD? Is he using Sentinel when whicked wheels? healers should Stoneskin + Adloquium the tank as well before 2WW.

TBH for that kind of ilvl may be more reasonable to use the japanese method. It made much more sesne for any party who isn't full i90.

Basically Suparna is pulled by DPS, since windburst(?) damage is shared between all DPS. That way OT deals with Chirada and MT is safe from 2WW.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Since these are people looking for their first clears, I consider them all learning groups where hopefully we will get a kill. I'll make this clear who anyone who agrees to help, if it isn't already. What I'm looking for is a relaxed, encouraging atmosphere where people can hone their skills.

Also, as I put in the huge post I wrote on the guildwork forums to help out the most people and make it fair for everyone we'll stick around for one full arena timer for each duty when there is more than one person signed up.

So right now the schedule would look something like this:
9pm - 10pm (or clear) Titan ex with Trojita.
10pm- 11 pm (or clear) Ultima HM with eternal pal.
11pm- new person or back to Titan ex or Ifrit ex with Trojita.

And so on.

I'll do Ultima as well. I'll try and get on Guildworks later.

Jayhawk

It's typically the double wicked wheels, but on occasion some blm decides to aoe razor plumes killing spiny in process

Also I still don't understand the spiny stacks

One of the sisters casting Friction, I forget which specific one right now, is an indication that Wicked Wheels are incoming (sometimes the sisters warping and switching happens in between). The tank should be aware and pop cooldowns to mitigate damage and melees should move away to not get hit.

A DPS killing the razor plume too early should result in a vote kick if that person keeps making that mistake.

Somebody getting 3 spiny stacks debuff will result in a wipe. Tanks are supposed to coordinate getting hate with Provoke on the Spiny Plume after somebody gets two stacks.

When tornados are up, it is usually okay to let the Spiny Plume to stay on whoever it popped on until that person gets 2 stacks. The OT will then Provoke the Spiny Plume and secure top enmity with an extra lob if necessary. The MT will have to grab the Spiny Plume in the case where the Spiny Plume popped with top enmity on the OT. Garuda will warp out shortly after the tank that just grabbed the Spiny Plume gets two stacks.

Jayhawk

How many pieces of Materia can you typically have affixed to Crafted Accessories, anyway?

Every piece of gear that can hold materia is able to have up to 5 materia. Accessories require more overmelding, since they just come with one guaranteed materia meld.

suzu

The Ahriman head boss thing next to Edda has appendages on the side of its cheeks that resemble a GLD/MRD helm. Her story's pretty messed up, as is her group really. Dead fiance, dead Elezen archer, and a crazy healer. Wonder what happened to the lalafell.

Actually, the dps disbanded the party after the tank died and blamed the healer for everything. haha

So I'm considering trying out FFXIV because of the Steam sale. Got a couple of questions though

1) How much does lag affect gameplay. I'm European and apparently all the servers are in Canada.
2) What's the gameplay like? What separates it from MMOs like WOW, WS, etc. I tried the open beta before the vanilla launch, but it had the shittiest ui and lagged quite a lot back then, so I dropped it pretty quick. Didn't get a good feel for the gameplay.
3) Is there end game?
4) Is the GAF guild active?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen Ryder and Mahou in the same place, that's all I'm saying.

Or seen either of them, for that matter.

The mystery deepens.

Frazley

Picked up the game on Steam to have a PC copy. I now own a copy for all platforms! :D plus got 30 more days!

So I'm considering trying out FFXIV because of the Steam sale. Got a couple of questions though

1) How much does lag affect gameplay. I'm European and apparently all the servers are in Canada.
2) What's the gameplay like? What separates it from MMOs like WOW, WS, etc. I tried the open beta before the vanilla launch, but it had the shittiest ui and lagged quite a lot back then, so I dropped it pretty quick. Didn't get a good feel for the gameplay.
3) Is there end game?
4) Is the GAF guild active?

1. To me lag can affect somewhat, but I don't notice it much, I do play US servers though. So mileage may vary
2. Action, timing, quests, objectives to complete. Biggest thing that separates is you only need 1 character since you can switch classes at will. Think of it as an real time RPG, you select the attack you will use.
3. Yes, not there yet, but there is.
4. Heck yeah! Plenty of humor too!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Combat-wise, it's pretty much WoW-lite.

The thing that sets it apart the most is how good everything looks, I never realized how ugly WoW was until I played FFXIV. I might be mashing 3 buttons over and over again with the odd cooldown thrown in, but I look boss doing it.

Mr. RHC

Are there any recent subscription numbers? I wonder how they fluctuate when there is a new patch and people have completed the content.

WolvenOne

Are there any recent subscription numbers? I wonder how they fluctuate when there is a new patch and people have completed the content.

I'm not sure the actual sub numbers change all that much. I suspect rather, that during the beginning of a patch, there's 3-4 weeks where most people are getting on daily. Where-as, near the end, a lot of people get on only a few times per week.

Jayhawk

Since SE doesn't publicly release subscription numbers, you won't get an accurate picture. The best data gathering tool on this type of data out there is available at xivsoul.com. It is a site that parses the lodestone for active character data, server population, class popularity, etc.

Mr. RHC

I'm not sure the actual sub numbers change all that much. I suspect rather, that during the beginning of a patch, there's 3-4 weeks where most people are getting on daily. Where-as, near the end, a lot of people get on only a few times per week.

Since SE doesn't publicly release subscription numbers, you won't get an accurate picture. The best data gathering tool on this type of data out there is available at xivsoul.com. It is a site that parses the lodestone for active character data, server population, class popularity, etc.

Ah, thank you guys! I will check out this site!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I like the shadier side of FFXIV we barely see.

The group that wiped in Tam-tara with the tank dying and the girl keeping his head in a bag

The Somnus drug trade we barely get to see except for a small part in the pugilist questline. Where are all the drugged out people in Uldah?

The whole backstory to Hauke Manor is nightmarish.

The Primals are like a Chaos-lite (Warhammer 40K) or Tulpa. Creations being created from the thoughts of sentient creatures. These creatures are able to
involuntarily slave any being, except those with the echo, which compared with the rest of the world's population is a paltry amount

The whole story with the dragon's being able to influence humanoids is also pretty fucked up.

Mr. RHC

I like the shadier side of FFXIV we barely see.

I think the overall story of FFXIV is pretty dark itself. It's a constant warzone and people are not hesitating to kill, rob and loot everyone and everything.

Random NPC: "Hey adventurer. Get rid of that guy who is annoying the fuck outta me"

Player:"hm, k"

Mupod

For the Warrior tanks in here.

Whats your opinion about putting the 30 points in STR instead of VIT?

I'm very close to my Bravura Animus with a ilvl of 97 and my total unbuffed health with defiance on sits at roughly 9.1k+

Now reading about these endgame Warriors doing second coil saying that over 9k is pure overkill and most of them already use full STR because the DPS becomes more important.

depends what you're doing. I outgear 6 and only main tank 7 - main tank damage on 7 is so low I can have both healers petrified and survive until they are free. So I've been running 30str for a while, although only because I needed it for PVP.

For turn 8, I was playing in a semi-DPS role so 30str was actually nice, but in the end irrelevant since you still need enough HP to survive triggering all three mines. On our kill last week I tanked the boss as well as dreadnaughts...need every point of vitality you can get for that. Thankfully I have a few respec items to spare, and I'm done with PVP for a while since I got my set.

With your ilvl you'd probably be fine with 30 strength, but...I had PVP as my reason, why wouldn't you want 30vit just in case? Even running dungeons it's useful as a buffer for very large pulls, and I highly doubt you'll have aggro problems with a 100 weapon.

AOE enmity is our thing you forget steel cyclone there and we don't use flash because we got OP :)

DPS wise i'm not sure.. i think War does a little bit more.

Warrior does quite a bit more DPS (at least I do), and has more control over aggro generation so it's easier to offtank.

I still use flash all the time...it works during berserk pacify and hits behind you. Also only costs MP instead of TP.

WolvenOne

Hunts looks like a fun daily activity.

The Hildebrand quest has been hilarious so far, hopefully that'll continue.

Buuuut.

Gotta say CT and Ramah, are what I'm looking forward to most.

iammeiam

First major patch for me. I'm most anticipating new content in general that I'll get to try before it's old hat. CT2 is probably going to be a total nightmare, but it will at least be a fun nightmare for the first day or so since people won't yet be at the point where it's old hat. Hildebrand story will be fun, and it'd be kind of neat to play TTD hardmode early enough to get to watch the cutscenes and actually see what's up with Edda.

WolvenOne

First major patch for me. I'm most anticipating new content in general that I'll get to try before it's old hat. CT2 is probably going to be a total nightmare, but it will at least be a fun nightmare for the first day or so since people won't yet be at the point where it's old hat. Hildebrand story will be fun, and it'd be kind of neat to play TTD hardmode early enough to get to watch the cutscenes and actually see what's up with Edda.

Well, because the group I'm in isn't clearing T8 yet. (We've cleared T7, but we're polishing that fight up a bit right now.) The items that drop in CT2 are, actually going to be relevant to me this time. Granted, I'm limited to one per week, and I don't know what the secondary stats are going to be, but if even one of the CT2 tank pieces have Accuracy, where my current ilvl100 pieces don't, it'll be a huge short term boon!

Ramah's going to be fun, both because it's a new trial, and because I could really REALLY use some ilvl100 weapons for my secondary jobs.

BLCKATK

Informal snap poll.

What's everyone looking forward to the most in the patch? Just, out of curiosity.

To be completely honest... probably The Hunt. That's a system that pretty much cannot go wrong, unless it is tied to super long spawn timers or RNG (which it doesn't sound like it is). More content to do with people outside of lockouts is always welcome. In the open world makes it even better.

I'm also really looking forward to Frontlines, I hope they don't screw it up but it sounds like this is the type of PvP that Yoshi-P knows the most about.

Dunan

I think the overall story of FFXIV is pretty dark itself. It's a constant warzone and people are not hesitating to kill, rob and loot everyone and everything.

Random NPC: "Hey adventurer. Get rid of that guy who is annoying the fuck outta me"

Player:"hm, k"

To be fair, in this world, "dying" consists of your god sending you back to where you last declared your home to be (which, for the enemies, is always the point where they're "posted", such as in front of the Imperial Castrum). So you can see why violence is so casual.

(I'd like to see a quest where someone you "kill" gets all angry at you for being sent all the way back to Ul'dah, say, after being bested by you in Limsa, and having to ride chocobos and boats to get back. One of the introductory Japanese guidebooks has a hapless miner sighing with exhaustion when this happens and then running back to have a word with the Miqo'te merchant girl who got him into that mess. )

BadRNG

Defiance adds 25% HP and 20% more to recovery spells.

Is not the same.
It effectively is the same since 25% HP and 20% reduced damage are the same effective thing. WAR does lose 5% on healing received, but that's such a small amount that is effectively mitigated by WAR's selfheals(as low as they may be now).

PLD's main strength is simply the power of his oh shit buttons. If you have a fight on farm, or at least know all the mechanics, a well played WAR will pull ahead 99% of the time due to how fights are set up in this game. For single target tanking at least. Amusingly despite the general belief PLD are usually better aoe tanks due to things like block and longer/larger cooldowns. They don't have as much aggro in this scenario but when is aggro really ever an issue for either tank if they aren't undergeared.

Informal snap poll.

What's everyone looking forward to the most in the patch? Just, out of curiosity.
Honestly nothing really jumps out to me. I'm too cynical to expect that Hunts will be well designed, that CT2 won't be awful like CT1, that chocobo raising won't be a massive grind for little reward. And the confirmation that sands/oils won't be dropping hurt any gear upgrade I was expecting.

So I guess story and class balance changes. The myth buff could be nice too I guess, depending on how far they go. Here's hoping for 2.1 phil levels.

WolvenOne

To be completely honest... probably The Hunt. That's a system that pretty much cannot go wrong, unless it is tied to super long spawn timers or RNG (which it doesn't sound like it is). More content to do with people outside of lockouts is always welcome. In the open world makes it even better.

I'm also really looking forward to Frontlines, I hope they don't screw it up but it sounds like this is the type of PvP that Yoshi-P knows the most about.

Long term, I'll probably do the Hunt more than CT or Ramah, I just, happen to need those rewards that come with CT and Ramah. (I think I've probably been bouncing around a bit much on his name.<_<;;)

PVP looks fun, but until I finish my Novus I don't know when I'd "LEARN," how to PVP, and I'm kinda afraid that I'm already hecka far behind the curve there.

Dunan

And to answer WolvenOne's question, I'm looking forward to new locations the most (because I'm an exploration nut), but also the Hildibrand story. It's been pretty humorous and fun so far.

Mupod

Frontlines is going to be a moronic zergfest. If you have the ability to follow commands more complex than 'run forward and attack the first guy you see until you die', you are already far ahead of the curve.

edit: I mean this in the best way possible of course, letting the idiots clash against each other while completing objectives with a competent group is what makes large scale battlegrounds fun.

BadRNG

Frontlines is going to be a moronic zergfest. If you have the ability to follow commands more complex than 'run forward and attack the first guy you see until you die', you are already far ahead of the curve.
I need to see the real size of the zone, and the full details of how matches work, how the PvE aspects they talked about play into it. An AV style mode would be pretty cool, I had so much fun there in WoW.

But I am expecting a clusterfuck imbalanced mess. Nothing they have done so far has really inspired me to think they know how to do anything related to PvP.

It effectively is the same since 25% HP and 20% reduced damage are the same effective thing. WAR does lose 5% on healing received, but that's such a small amount that is effectively mitigated by WAR's selfheals(as low as they may be now).

PLD's main strength is simply the power of his oh shit buttons. If you have a fight on farm, or at least know all the mechanics, a well played WAR will pull ahead 99% of the time due to how fights are set up in this game. For single target tanking at least. Amusingly despite the general belief PLD are usually better aoe tanks due to things like block and longer/larger cooldowns. They don't have as much aggro in this scenario but when is aggro really ever an issue for either tank if they aren't undergeared.

Damage mitigation is not the same that higher HP pool + more healing received, even in the end they (might) achieve the same result. There are some key differences that have to take into account.

MogCakes

Actually, the dps disbanded the party after the tank died and blamed the healer for everything. haha

Their fates are shown eventually, is what I was saying (fiance's dead, elezen girl
was part of the scions later and died in the attack on the Waking Sands, you see her corpse
). Now that we know Edda's showing up with her fiance's head I'm curious what happened to the lalafell THM.

That IS the fiance's head

Probably a mutated version of it.

BadRNG

Damage mitigation is not the same that higher HP pool + more healing received, even in the end they (might) achieve the same result. There are some key differences that have to take into account.
What key differences? In most scenarios, in this game at least, they equal out to be about the same thing in terms of effective HP and healing required.

If you start to add in PLD's other damage mitigation sources they may pull ahead in long term mitigation, but in terms of Defiance and Shield Oath they are very well balanced and almost identical for all current content.

Mr. RHC

I don't know, I will try frontlines, but I think I can already tell that it is not for me if it is anything like the regular PvP deathmatch.

WolvenOne

What key differences? In most scenarios, in this game at least, they equal out to be about the same thing in terms of effective HP and healing required.

If you start to add in PLD's other damage mitigation sources they may pull ahead in long term mitigation, but in terms of Defiance and Shield Oath they are very well balanced and almost identical for all current content.

Well, I don't know about you, but as a WAR, there's a ton of times I've wished for a little extra damage mitigation. Particularly when OTing T7. Sooo many times when I've gone from near full health to Ded, faster than the healers could respond.

Mind you, that may be my fault, I'm going to try changing how I use my CD's next time I go into that fight, try to make it a bit easier on the Healers.

BadRNG

Well, I don't know about you, but as a WAR, there's a ton of times I've wished for a little extra damage mitigation. Particularly when OTing T7. Sooo many times when I've gone from near full health to Ded, faster than the healers could respond.
I think you are missing my point. If you are going to full health to dead, then a PLD would as well under same circumstances (no cooldowns or whatever).

We both have 100 hp base. With defiance you will have 125. If a 100 damage hit comes in, PLD will be left with 20(100-20% is 80), WAR will be left with 25. It will take 80 healing to get PLD patched up, it will take 100 for WAR - but with your passive 20% extra healing you'll receive 94 from that same 80. This is that 5% healing discrepancy I referenced, but it is obviously small and partially mitigated from self heals.

One shots are same deal. If a 125 hit comes in, we both would die, as 80% of 125 is 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom