• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Asking again to see if Ultros FC has space.

Also, anyone has a good post-game guide? I skipped from 2.0 to now and I am lost as hell.

WolvenOne

I think you are missing my point. If you are going to full health to dead, then a PLD would as well under same circumstances (no cooldowns or whatever).

We both have 100 hp base. With defiance you will have 125. If a 100 damage hit comes in, PLD will be left with 20(100-20% is 80), WAR will be left with 25. It will take 80 healing to get PLD patched up, it will take 100 for WAR - but with your passive 20% extra healing you'll receive 94 from that same 80. This is that 5% healing discrepancy I referenced, but it is obviously small and partially mitigated from self heals.

One shots are same deal. If a 125 hit comes in, we both would die, as 80% of 125 is 100.

First, WAR self healing doesn't really amount to much, it's handy, but only in very specific situations.

Second, outside of inner beast, which only lasts six seconds, WARs only have two Mitigation CDs that have a realistic chance at preventing a one shot.

Holmgang and Vengeance, and the later is the only one that you can use while retaining the ability to move.

Shield Oath gives PLD's an additional 20% Defense, so while they have lower HP, thier effective HP is similar.

The net effect of all this, is that PLD's are much better off for taking sustained damage over time. WARs are better for dealing with damage spikes, but there are a lot of enemies in this game that don't have abrupt spikes of damage that can be readily predicted.

Basically, each tank class is best suited to tanking different things, as such, they are not, "about the same."

Teknoman

Since these are people looking for their first clears, I consider them all learning groups where hopefully we will get a kill. I'll make this clear who anyone who agrees to help, if it isn't already. What I'm looking for is a relaxed, encouraging atmosphere where people can hone their skills.

Also, as I put in the huge post I wrote on the guildwork forums to help out the most people and make it fair for everyone we'll stick around for one full arena timer for each duty when there is more than one person signed up.

So right now the schedule would look something like this:
9pm - 10pm (or clear) Titan ex with Trojita.
10pm- 11 pm (or clear) Ultima HM with eternal pal.
11pm- new person or back to Titan ex or Ifrit ex with Trojita.

And so on.

Sounds awesome, signing up.

suzu

Their fates are shown eventually, is what I was saying (fiance's dead, elezen girl
was part of the scions later and died in the attack on the Waking Sands, you see her corpse
). Now that we know Edda's showing up with her fiance's head I'm curious what happened to the lalafell THM.

Oh, really.. I never knew the elezen joined up there. Not that I pay attention too much to the random npcs. D:

Asking again to see if Ultros FC has space.

Also, anyone has a good post-game guide? I skipped from 2.0 to now and I am lost as hell.

Just send an in-game application and someone will invite you eventually.

You can try this to see what you've missed: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Unai

I'm not a MMO kind of guy. There is almost 10 years I don't even install such a game in my computer. I don't have real friends who play this game.

That being said I'm a huge fans of RPG in general. I like playing Bethesda's games, Kigdoms of Amalur, The Witcher series, old school jRPGs and also I'm really into the Final Fantasy universe.

I just bought the game. Do guys think I'll like it or did I made a mistake?

WolvenOne

I'm not a MMO kind of guy. There is almost 10 years I don't even install such a game in my computer. I don't have real friends who play this game.

That being said I'm a huge fans of RPG in general. I like playing Bethesda's games, Kigdoms of Amalur, The Witcher series, old school jRPGs and also I'm really into the Final Fantasy universe.

The main scenario alone is worth going through, so if you get through that you'll have probably gotten your money's worth, even if you don't continue to the End Game.

zewone

I like the same games you do and I am not a MMO guy and I really enjoy this game. Just try it for 30 days. If it doesn't hook you by then, you'll still get your RPG moneys worth.

If I buy this on the PS4 am I going to be significantly gimped in anyway? I played the beta on PC but I'm not sure if it can run the game well enough for my liking (over a long period of time + once I get to areas that tax performance more).

For the Warrior tanks in here.

Whats your opinion about putting the 30 points in STR instead of VIT?

I'm very close to my Bravura Animus with a ilvl of 97 and my total unbuffed health with defiance on sits at roughly 9.1k+

Now reading about these endgame Warriors doing second coil saying that over 9k is pure overkill and most of them already use full STR because the DPS becomes more important.

try it and see how it works out for you. i think 9k-9,5k is enough for warriors at current state, provided you have decent healers with you. i'm still on vit, but i'm also using hybrid accessories, so i'm not lacking in str.

WolvenOne

If I buy this on the PS4 am I going to be significantly gimped in anyway? I played the beta on PC but I'm not sure if it can run the game well enough for my liking (over a long period of time + once I get to areas that tax performance more).

PS4 runs on pretty close to the MAX graphical settings you see on PC, and typically manages a decent to excellent frame rate. Supposedly areas with tons of people can lower that frame rate, but I'm on a reasonably powerful PC and see the same thing.

So, I'd say that visually, it's comparable to most PC users experience.

Unai

The main scenario alone is worth going through, so if you get through that you'll have probably gotten your money's worth, even if you don't continue to the End Game.

I like the same games you do and I am not a MMO guy and I really enjoy this game. Just try it for 30 days. If it doesn't hook you by then, you'll still get your RPG moneys worth.

Good to know, thanks!

aceface

Aaah, thanks.

Hmm, who do I ask?

There was just a huge purge so I'm sure there's room. To submit an application just target any GAF member in-game, right click or press square, click "view company profile" then click "submit application." Just mention who you are and I'm sure you'll be invited back.

Mesharey

I just love glamour mode. XD

BrAzUE-CMAA0Gbh.jpg:orig

WolvenOne

Just so I can shame myself for the amount of time I play this game, Ill probably buy it on Steam as a double dip.

Just did that myself, figured that at that price I was essentially paying for another month, and getting a log to track my hours. Just, need to figure out how to point this thing towards my existing copy of this game, so I don't have it installed on my machine twice. <_<;;

Edit: Okay seriously, any advice on how to do this would be immensely appreciated. I don't want to download a 10GB file right at the moment, let alone lose all my settings.

BadRNG

Basically, each tank class is best suited to tanking different things, as such, they are not, "about the same."
Seriously man? I feel like you're not reading my posts at all. I was comparing Shield Oath to Defiance, what other cooldowns the classes is irrelevant to that point, in fact I even stated outright that PLD has better long term mitigation in my original post you replied to. My subsequent reply was purely addressing Shield Oath vs. Defiance and whether or not they offer the same effective ability to tank hits, that is what I meant when I said they are about the same. I don't know how I can make this anymore clear.

Also I'd argue that any fight that is actually relevant in this game has the spikes of damage coming at an incredibly predictable rate. This is why I said 99% of the time a WAR is a better MT once you know the fight completely and have it on farm.

PS4 runs on pretty close to the MAX graphical settings you see on PC, and typically manages a decent to excellent frame rate. Supposedly areas with tons of people can lower that frame rate, but I'm on a reasonably powerful PC and see the same thing.

So, I'd say that visually, it's comparable to most PC users experience.

I see. Do you know anything about the patch sizes on the PS4 version? If it's bloated compared to the PC version then that alone would probably cross it off the list due to bandwidth constraints.

I'm also trying to find out if there's a free trial or something I can use to see if my memory of my PC's performance during beta wasn't faulty.

WolvenOne

I see. Do you know anything about the patch sizes on the PS4 version? If it's bloated compared to the PC version then that alone would probably cross it off the list due to bandwidth constraints.

I'm also trying to find out if there's a free trial or something I can use to see if my memory of my PC's performance during beta wasn't faulty.

Well, the Steam version is a 10GB download, and that may not be entirely up to date. Keep in mind that with every patch, more stuff is added into the game. So I'd imagine the file is going to inflate in size over time.

dark_chris

Just did that myself, figured that at that price I was essentially paying for another month, and getting a log to track my hours. Just, need to figure out how to point this thing towards my existing copy of this game, so I don't have it installed on my machine twice. <_<;;

Edit: Okay seriously, any advice on how to do this would be immensely appreciated. I don't want to download a 10GB file right at the moment, let alone lose all my settings.

Maybe your best bet is to wait till you're able to download it, delete the old version but saving your settings. There might be a way for you to do that. Best is to look around.

WolvenOne

Seriously man? I feel like you're not reading my posts at all. I was comparing Shield Oath to Defiance, what other cooldowns the classes is irrelevant to that point, in fact I even stated outright that PLD has better long term mitigation in my original post you replied to. My subsequent reply was purely addressing Shield Oath vs. Defiance and whether or not they offer the same effective ability to tank hits, that is what I meant when I said they are about the same. I don't know how I can make this anymore clear.

Also I'd argue that any fight that is actually relevant in this game has the spikes of damage coming at an incredibly predictable rate. This is why I said 99% of the time a WAR is a better MT once you know the fight completely and have it on farm.

I was specifically responding to your comment that mitigation and extra HP balance out to about the same. Having extra HP is great and all, but, mitigation is generally more important.

Also, I'd cite the first three set of Add's in T7, as an example of enemies where spikey damage mitigation doesn't help as much. It's not that their damage isn't predictable, but "essentially always," isn't the sort of predictability that helps much.

BadRNG

I was specifically responding to your comment that mitigation and extra HP balance out to about the same. Having extra HP is great and all, but, mitigation is generally more important.

Also, I'd cite the first three set of Add's in T7, as an example of enemies where spikey damage mitigation doesn't help as much. It's not that their damage isn't predictable, but "essentially always," isn't the sort of predictability that helps much.
They balance out to be the same on Defiance/Shield oath. There is no effective difference between taking reduced damage and taking more but with more HP and received healing (assuming the numbers balance out right, and in this case they do). Listing other cooldowns is completely missing the point of what I was saying. As I, again, was speaking specifically about these two abilities, not the entire toolkits of both tanks.

MT doesn't tank the adds on T7 though, and I already claimed PLD is better at tanking adds (which is where you will usually see an "essentially always" high damage intake) outside of aggro. But ignoring that, for the adds, you can use pretty much all of your cooldowns at this point of the fight without penalty since OT won't be tanking again for several minutes. This is advice on how to handle them, not necessarily a way for WAR to match PLD or something, as PLD can do the same.

I need to see the real size of the zone, and the full details of how matches work, how the PvE aspects they talked about play into it. An AV style mode would be pretty cool, I had so much fun there in WoW.

But I am expecting a clusterfuck imbalanced mess. Nothing they have done so far has really inspired me to think they know how to do anything related to PvP.

Man, I would play the hell out of an AV like battleground in this game...

Here's to hoping Frontlines is anything similar to it.

What key differences? In most scenarios, in this game at least, they equal out to be about the same thing in terms of effective HP and healing required.

If you start to add in PLD's other damage mitigation sources they may pull ahead in long term mitigation, but in terms of Defiance and Shield Oath they are very well balanced and almost identical for all current content.

That's on ideal scenarios, if for any reason, at some point both tanks has 100 HP and they recieve 100 DMG, PLD survives, WAR dosn't.

Simple as that. needing an extra procedure (needing a heal) to be on equal terms, is something to considere....

yes. you'll be on ps4

If I have a laptop with me and headset it's basically like playing on a PC though right? (except with a controller of course although I heard you can plug in a keyboard/mouse too).

Another Q: If I buy this for PS4 am I going to have to put in credit card details before I can make use of the free 30 days (assuming it has that)?

BadRNG

That's on ideal scenarios, if for any reason, at some point both tanks has 100 HP and they recieve 100 DMG, PLD survives, WAR dosn't.

Simple as that. needing an extra procedure (needing a heal) to be on equal terms, is something to considere....
How is that a fair comparison? You're essentially comparing a PLD with full health and a WAR without. The WAR didn't need a heal to be equal to the PLD, that's the point, the extra HP is the same as extra mitigation, the extra healing power is for the healers sake. They don't have to heal more/harder for the WAR. But when in terms of taking that initial hit - in terms of actual tanking ability - they are the same.

BLCKATK

Hunt info just dropped.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7364d5b97a69c0e5142b582c12216ab8886a09af

Pretty long lockout on what seems to be the more difficult fights (Elite Marks). Doesn't seem to say anything about if they be reserved for each party or we'll have to camp the spawns.

...Rewards include weapons, armor, minions, sands of time, oil of time, and alexandrite.

Definitely seems worth it to do though, even though I'm sure it will be a grind. I'm sure many will complain that 'casuals' can get sands of time and oil of time, but the hardcores had their window for that stuff to be exclusive... times up.

BadRNG

If the moogle questline doesn't end with you getting their little postman cap as a vanity reward, there is no god in this world.

- Regular and Elite Marks
While regular marks denote enemies commonly found in the wilds of Eorzea, elite marks denote powerful enemies that only appear under certain conditions. They are ranked according to the risk they pose: rank B (lowest risk), rank A, and rank S (highest risk). Upon defeating elite marks, players will receive rewards including Allied Seals, Allagan tomestones of mythology, and Allagan tomestones of soldiery.
"We know how much you all love camping out fates for Animus books and weather conditions for sight seeing log, we are happy to announce you can now do so for rare mobs that you must compete with other players for. "

Yaaaay.

I'm happy Marks are back and I really really hope I don't have to compete with other players for them. Otherwise I won't bother. I see this being a major time waster for me considering the huge amount of hours I put into XII doing these.

<3

Qvoth

so basically u beat the hunts and get allied marks, and then trade them for the things you want (aka sands and oils)
bet you need a ton of marks for each

i think i'll get the minion 1st :p
some screenshots for the new gears as well, but the picture is pretty small

BadRNG

I'm happy Marks are back and I really really hope I don't have to compete with other players for them. Otherwise I won't bother. I see this being a major time waster for me considering the huge amount of hours I put into XII doing these.

<3
Would be cool if they were like leves or treasure chests and tied to the player, with you having to do something to get them to spawn. Make them actually challenging, maybe some mechanics beyond just not standing in aoe. I am expecting them to just be fate bosses that don't show on map though. Camping for a spawn and then just zerging it down.

Would love to be wrong on this one, but I try not to get my hopes up.

so basically u beat the hunts and get allied marks, and then trade them for the things you want (aka sands and oils)
Maybe one or two weeks worth of daily hunt credits, plus those week's rare hunt, for a sand? That would be reasonable I think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

i think i'll get the minion 1st :p
some screenshots for the new gears as well, but the picture is pretty small

Of course.

Semper88

depends what you're doing. I outgear 6 and only main tank 7 - main tank damage on 7 is so low I can have both healers petrified and survive until they are free. So I've been running 30str for a while, although only because I needed it for PVP.

For turn 8, I was playing in a semi-DPS role so 30str was actually nice, but in the end irrelevant since you still need enough HP to survive triggering all three mines. On our kill last week I tanked the boss as well as dreadnaughts...need every point of vitality you can get for that. Thankfully I have a few respec items to spare, and I'm done with PVP for a while since I got my set.

With your ilvl you'd probably be fine with 30 strength, but...I had PVP as my reason, why wouldn't you want 30vit just in case? Even running dungeons it's useful as a buffer for very large pulls, and I highly doubt you'll have aggro problems with a 100 weapon.

Well i don't have to worry about T6-9 yet since we are just on beating t5 with a new static. Our main goal for now is farming Levi and get t5 down. Reason is tho that im currently the MT for t5 but im gearing up a friend he's a pally so i'm prob gonna be doing OT more. (we use the 1 tank strat in T5 btw, its going very well).

When being OT dps becomes more important in my eyes because the times that im not taking a beating means i need to up the dps.

Our healers are awesome so once i get my animus i'll check the 30 str out. Aggro is no problem at all.

I could be wrong but I don't think this will be a return to the NM camping of old. It sounds like it be like the treasure map system...if they have a wide range of marks, that would avoid the treasure map issue where they got old really fast. It will be a major grind to get the goodies though...I hope they are good!

I will drag some of you kicking and screaming to these marks. I want the Elite Marks to make the XII look like wusses.

Carbonox

Question regarding freeing up space in my inventory and/or selling stuff. I'm a level 30 GLD and level 10 CNJ (working towards Paladin) and I've yet to sell a single item so I've amassed a fair bit of shit. What do people recommend I do with the lower level gear for starters? I'll have to go through my inventory of items to see what's useful/not useful there too.

Obviously in any RPG I just sell what I'm allowed to sell (that would make me money), keep important items that can be used for better things and sell low level gear I have no use for but this is an MMO so no doubt everything has some use.

Noi

Question regarding freeing up space in my inventory and/or selling stuff. I'm a level 30 GLD and level 10 CNJ (working towards Paladin) and I've yet to sell a single item so I've amassed a fair bit of shit. What do people recommend I do with the lower level gear for starters? I'll have to go through my inventory of items to see what's useful/not useful there too.

Obviously in any RPG I just sell what I'm allowed to sell (that would make me money), keep important items that can be used for better things and sell low level gear I have no use for but this is an MMO so no doubt everything has some use.

Consider what other classes you have an immediate interest in leveling up, then save any equipment they can use. Sell the rest on your Retainer/Convert it into Materia if its at 100% spiritbond.

Always remember that common/grey equipment is easily replaceable via the Market Board. There's no real reason to keep it unless it's part of your currently used stuff.

Indignate

So started up as a Thaumaturge mainly because I wanted to be in the same city as my friend. From what I understand, I can turn that into a Black Mage at level 30 with a level 15 Archer?

What are the other classes that aren't part of the Disciples of War and Magic? Like the Weaver and Miner. Are these just crafting classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom