• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Soooo this relic guy wants a Sanguine Sceptre with two materia in it. Where do I get this? Some guy is selling the completed item but it's about 100K. That's a lot. What are the options?

Well you could bypass this, farm out a Primal Weapon, then farm out a Mog weapon, clear out all three original Extreme Primals and then get an ilvl90 weapon from Rowena via the tokens you get for completing that quest.

Barring that, your other option is to farm out the components you need to have the Sceptre made for you, then pay somebody to craft and meld it.

BadRNG

Soooo this relic guy wants a Sanguine Sceptre with two materia in it. Where do I get this? Some guy is selling the completed item but it's about 100K. That's a lot. What are the options?
That's a rip off, the sceptre by itself is only like 10-15k and the materia are usually in the 20-30k each range. Buy the sceptre and materia separately and get someone to meld it for you.

(Note these prices are Ultros prices, it may be different on other servers)

Hunt missions armor:

More:
http://t.co/tMC8nWeVvu
How is that SMN using Carbuncle?

Also Maelstrom confirmed once again for best outfits.

iammeiam

No way they make sands easy to get. It will be an insane grind or super RNG (like mirrors).

The question is how insane--Atma + Animus + Novus is pretty damned grindy, with bonus Atma RNG and materia expensiveness. It creates a pretty decent opening for Hunts to be a reliable grindy option that don't necessarily consume your playtime and don't cost a ton of money. Or if they wind up somehow being actually fun, well.

They'll likely be substantially increasing the Myth drop-rate come 2.3, that and you can get Myth for doing Hunts and PVP now too. So the Myth grind to get books and Alexnandrite should be greatly reduced.

That should help speed you through books, and later, Alexandrite.

Honestly I think Novus did a lot to kill my animus motivation. I could be doing a book a week easy, no special grinding, but knowing that finishing just leads to Novus and the land of a billion materia just killed my interest. I'm not doing anything tough enough to desperately need the extra stats right now, so.

IvorB

I just bought mine, to he honest. Made the gil back within a few days from duty roulettes anyway

That's a rip off, the sceptre by itself is only like 10-15k and the materia are usually in the 20-30k each range. Buy the sceptre and materia separately and get someone to meld it for you.

(Note these prices are Ultros prices, it may be different on other servers)

Hmmm... guess I could buy the pieces separately and get someone to meld. I only have about 300K at the moment. :-(

Well you could bypass this, farm out a Primal Weapon, then farm out a Mog weapon, clear out all three original Extreme Primals and then get an ilvl90 weapon from Rowena via the tokens you get for completing that quest.

Barring that, your other option is to farm out the components you need to have the Sceptre made for you, then pay somebody to craft and meld it.

So there are lot's of other weapon options? I already have a level 70 Astrolabe so the Stardust Rod doesn't look that much better unless I am missing something and it's a huge mission to get. But on the other hand killing EX primals is no joke either. I hear people talking about strengthening the relic weapon. Does it get more powerful than what the guy gives me?

WolvenOne

Hmmm... guess I could buy the pieces separately and get someone to meld. I only have about 300K at the moment. :-(

So there are lot's of other weapon options? I already have a level 70 Astrolabe so the Stardust Rod doesn't look that much better unless I am missing something and it's a huge mission to get. But on the other hand killing EX primals is no joke either. I hear people talking about strengthening the relic weapon. Does it get more powerful than what the guy gives me?

The base Relic is ilvl80, so no it's not that much more powerful. However, there are various ways to upgrade it over time, and, as of now, it can go from ilvl80, all the way upto ilvl110.

Thing is, going entirely to 110 would take a lot of work. Going to ilvl90 on the other hand, not so much. Either way, you'll want to do the Relic line at some point or another, just to unlock the Trial Roulette option.

Edit: Besides, Chimera and Hydra are both fun fights in their own right. Just, remember not to stand in the center of the Ring when you're doing Hydra. XD

Frazley

Love this game more I play. I was wondering what FFXI was like, but FFXIV keeps pulling me in. Plus, I love that it's an MMO on my PS4!

I had 200k when I bought mine for 100k, and now a few weeks later have nearly 500k just from doing main scenario and low level roulette, and beast dailies. I'd say buying it is worth it since you get to avoid the hassle of the materia mess.

Unai

I left the gaming downloading through Steam while I was at work thinking it would be done when I get home, but the game client is also downloading a huge file at a very slow speed. I was downloading at 1.02MB/s on Steam, and now at 0.04MB/s on the client.

Oh God, why!?

2014-06-2619_40_03-ga5as7q.png

For me it cost me about half to buy the weapon and materia separately and have someone meld it for me in Mor Dhona. Look into that option.

The weapon itself was only around 8k, but the materia were 60k each. The completed weapon was over 200k. So maybe just bite the bullet and spend the 100k. It's not very expensive.

I left the gaming downloading through Steam while I was at work thinking it would be done when I get home, but the game client is also downloading a huge file at a very slow speed. I was downloading at 1.02MB/s on Steam, and now at 0.04MB/s on the client.

Oh God, why!?

2014-06-2619_40_03-ga5as7q.png

I'm fairly certain if you disconnect the internet / reset your router / whatever you have to do to get your internet back to normal, the game client holds the data you have already downloaded.

At least, it does on PS4. My net constantly drops to below acceptable levels and I just reset and the progress is still there.

Unai

I'm fairly certain if you disconnect the internet / reset your router / whatever you have to do to get your internet back to normal, the game client holds the data you have already downloaded.

At least, it does on PS4. My net constantly drops to below acceptable levels and I just reset and the progress is still there.

It continued from where it stopped, but the speed is still the same, but thanks.

The base Relic is ilvl80, so no it's not that much more powerful. However, there are various ways to upgrade it over time, and, as of now, it can go from ilvl80, all the way upto ilvl110.

Thing is, going entirely to 110 would take a lot of work. Going to ilvl90 on the other hand, not so much. Either way, you'll want to do the Relic line at some point or another, just to unlock the Trial Roulette option.

Edit: Besides, Chimera and Hydra are both fun fights in their own right. Just, remember not to stand in the center of the Ring when you're doing Hydra. XD

I got Hydra on the roulette last night and it was my first time doing it for real, since I pretty much got carried while I was doing the relic quest. I had better gear so I was the MT, but around the middle of the fight Hydra decided to go to the middle and wouldn't follow me anymore.

At the beginning of the fight someone else mentioned not standing in the center, but if you're melee, what choice do you have? Some people died, but it was a quick clear anyway and I never really got much below half health, but I though I'd ask if you can get him back to the corner.

WolvenOne

I got Hydra on the roulette last night and it was my first time doing it for real, since I pretty much got carried while I was doing the relic quest. I had better gear so I was the MT, but around the middle of the fight Hydra decided to go to the middle and wouldn't follow me anymore.

At the beginning of the fight someone else mentioned not standing in the center, but if you're melee, what choice do you have? Some people died, but it was a quick clear anyway and I never really got much below half health, but I though I'd ask if you can get him back to the corner.

If there isn't enough space being Hydra, for the melee to do thier thing without being in the very center, then the boss probably isn't being tanked far enough from the center.

You don't want people standing in the middle, because you need to attack there when the boss is casting Fear Itself, and you don't want him casting fire or ice on that space before that point.

Before people had better gear, this was one of the most common reasons for wipes on this boss. Now, it's a bit less vital.

suzu

Hydra only goes to the center of the room when it wants to cast Fear Itself. While he's casting that, everyone should be standing near or under him.

The reason why people shouldn't be in the center is because the boss targets random ppl and spits a fire/ice aoe on the ground. So you don't really want to be standing in that when the boss goes to cast Fear Itself.

Hydra should be tanked on the edges of the room with both tanks together (to mitigate the cleave move). The dps can burn down the adds.

So since i hit 50 ive been doing my relic quest. Ive mainly been grinding ifrit so i could get his bow drop, which ive did. where is the best place for me to gear up for Garuda HM? im at ilvl55 right now, full AF set with some lvl 49 accesories i got off the AH and a 90 ring i got for myth. im guessing Crystal Tower but the ques for that are too long lol. would i be better off just doing dailys/roulette until i can afford the myth gear?

So since i hit 50 ive been doing my relic quest. Ive mainly been grinding ifrit so i could get his bow drop, which ive did. where is the best place for me to gear up for Garuda HM? im at ilvl55 right now, full AF set with some lvl 49 accesories i got off the AH and a 90 ring i got for myth. im guessing Crystal Tower but the ques for that are too long lol. would i be better off just doing dailys/roulette until i can afford the myth gear?

I've just been doing roulettes for myth gear.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Since you're i55 you can tackle the current last three dungeons (Bray hard, Halatali hard and Lost City) for Darklight gear which is i70, and all three give 50 myth. Of course the problem is that most people expect to speedrun these dungeons but tough luck to them!
And crystal tower also, it gives i80 armor and it doesn't matter if one out of 24 people isn't ridiculously overgeared.

WolvenOne

The only time gear matters for CT, is for the Tanks. The DPS check are pretty easy to pass, and so long as people are playing correctly the healers shouldn't be particularly stressed. A few bosses hit pretty hard though, so it helps a lot to have Tanks that can take a beating.

Skill, is another matter.

You don't need to be particularly skilled to get through CT, but people that don't know how to play thier job properly can really sick out bad.

This is doubly certain for Tanks, sadly. It's because of this that I developed a process for handling upto Half the skeletons myself during the Bone Dragon fight. It reduces the number of competent Tanks you need for that battle, thus typically makes it go more smoothly.

Sadly you can't do that for most the fights in CT1.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The only time gear matters for CT, is for the Tanks. The DPS check are pretty easy to pass, and so long as people are playing correctly the healers shouldn't be particularly stressed.

Skill, is another matter.

You don't need to be particularly skilled to get through CT, but people that don't know how to play thier job properly can really sick out bad.

This is doubly certain for Tanks, sadly. It's because of this that is developed a process for handling upto Half the skeletons myself during the Bone Dragon fight. It reduces the number of compenent Tanks you need for that battle, thus typically makes it go more smoothly.

You don't need six tanks for CT
You don't even need six tanks for Platinals, just tell a dragoon to do it
Nobody's going to miss him when he dies

Noi

On the other hand, having 6 tanks in CT1 means a higher chance that some of those tanks will actually be good. When I do Labyrinth, I always take one of the northern towers so I can quickly {Provoke} Behemoth if someone goes wrong (if im not MTing or taking the giants in the first place).

This is part of what scares me about Syrcus Tower since it only has 3 tanks in the whole alliance. Those fights fights better allow for some leeway of tank mistakes or else...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
On the other hand, having 6 tanks in CT1 means a higher chance that some of those tanks will actually be good. When I do Labyrinth, I always take one of the northern towers so I can quickly {Provoke} Behemoth if someone goes wrong (if im not MTing or taking the giants in the first place).

This is part of what scares me about Syrcus Tower since it only has 3 tanks in the whole alliance. Those fights fights better allow for some leeway of tank mistakes or else...

Does it really

WolvenOne

Well the option to pre-make at least a large portion of that 24 man Alliance, will at least partially offset there being fewer Tanks.

Realistically, even if you can't assemble a full 24 people, you're still going to want to bring three trusted tanks along.

So I'm preparing myself to go into crafting tomorrow and just what to know how mats are identified in the game. Are they considered field gear?

And will I finally get treasure maps via crafting? I still haven't gotten one yet

Momentary

Banned
I haven't played an MMO in 4 years. I just started this game and I gotta say I'm impressed. I joined Ultros since it seems that's where most of the GAF members are. I'm going to get my level up a bit before trying to join the linkshell.

I'm only level 11 right now and at the auction house... I gotta get this clown suit off. The level 15 plundered set for Marauders looks nice. That's the one thing I hate about playing a new MMO. I gotta figure out how to get the money coming in.

suzu

I'm only level 11 right now and at the auction house... I gotta get this clown suit off. The level 15 plundered set for Marauders looks nice. That's the one thing I hate about playing a new MMO. I gotta figure out how to get the money coming in.

Just suffer through the ugliness until you can get better loot from dungeons (level 15 at the earliest). Make sure you're keeping up with the main story quests so you can unlock them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I haven't played an MMO in 4 years. I just started this game and I gotta say I'm impressed. I joined Ultros since it seems that's where most of the GAF members are. I'm going to get my level up a bit before trying to join the linkshell.

Make sure to unlock the challenge log at lv 15. I didn't know about till I was in my late 40's so I missed out on some easy gil while leveling.

So I'm preparing myself to go into crafting tomorrow and just what to know how mats are identified in the game. Are they considered field gear?

And will I finally get treasure maps via crafting? I still haven't gotten one yet
You need to level the gathering classes (botanist, miner, & fisher) if you want to gather the mats yourself and find maps. Field gear is basically armor/gear for the gathering classes.

Once you hit lv ~35 you can collect a map once every 18 hours while you're gathering. The higher lv maps only appear on the lv 50 nodes.

If you're not interested in leveling a gathering class on top of the crafting classes you can just buy mats off the marketboard. Low lv mats are also available from the crafting guild vendors and the free company vendors. If you're in a FC with a vendor like the GAF FC, make sure to stop by the house to check him out. He carries a lot of the low lv mats including some not available from the guild vendors.

SO I ended up going with the PS4 version and everything is going swimmingly so far.

Made a Hyur Gladiator on Ultros and I'm level 8 at the moment.

I think this is one of the first MMO's where I'm reading all of the text.

It's well written and it's presented as it would be in a single player RPG, instead of other MMO's that typically just dump a wall of text on you.

Ken

SO I ended up going with the PS4 version and everything is going swimmingly so far.

Made a Hyur Gladiator on Ultros and I'm level 8 at the moment.

I think this is one of the first MMO's where I'm reading all of the text.

It's well written and it's presented as it would be in a single player RPG, instead of other MMO's that typically just dump a wall of text on you.

Look at this guy reading all the text.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One day, I'll start an alt and read through the text.

Wait there's no point in having alts in this game.

WELP.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Like reading text? Nah, I'll pass. There's better stuff to read than FFXIV, I'm sure.

Tried T5 as MNK for the first time. Makes me sad everytime the fight causes me to lose Greased Lightning and Perfect Balance is on a long cooldown. Ranged got it so easier but I refuse to go back to ranged, just have to improve.

Teknoman

People not reading text? For shame.

Seriously though, FFXI and XIV are the few MMORPGS where you want to pay attention to whats up.

Yeah, I just started the game last night and I can't be bothered to read the text 90% of the time.
It IS very well written though, especially for an MMO let alone a FF game.

However, I think I was spoiled by all of the voiced dialogue in The Old Republic.
In that game I didn't care about what was actually being said any more than I do in FFXIV, but having it voiced just made me want to sit through it.
One of the very few things that game did right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom