• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I want to enjoy dragoons but the more and more I stay in the mumble channel the more I feel compelled not to play Dragoon despite being told to play what I enjoy. It's sort of a perpetual cycle of, playing dragoons because i enjoy it but then i start to... un-enjoy it because of the things i hear down the line in the game... =/ I may have a problem guys .

Ken

I want to enjoy dragoons but the more and more I stay in the mumble channel the more I feel compelled not to play Dragoon despite being told to play what I enjoy. It's sort of a perpetual cycle of, playing dragoons because i enjoy it but then i start to... un-enjoy it because of the things i hear down the line in the game... =/ I may have a problem guys .

The mumble is just joking around about DRGs.

Tried T5 as MNK for the first time. Makes me sad everytime the fight causes me to lose Greased Lightning and Perfect Balance is on a long cooldown. Ranged got it so easier but I refuse to go back to ranged, just have to improve.

Didn't you give up on SMN.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I love my DRG. Always nice to have free control over the LB in a trial/dungeon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kayos, your problem here, as is your problem just about everywhere I've seen you, is that you care too much about the opinions of others.

Relax, zone out, have fun.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kayos, your problem here, as is your problem just about everywhere I've seen you, is that you care too much about the opinions of others.

Pretty much this. Play what you like. If it's not fun, stop doing it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

If only I had a smaller heart... T_T

I'll try to care less....

My group finally got T8 down. Took all my potions and half my food but it was worth it. I'm sad that I didn't get the Sands of Time though (lost by 2), no Glanzfaust for me. :(

0eZgqFd.png

Ken

I am ashamed to admit I'm too frugal to use pots in T8 any content.

Then again I usually don't keep many on me.

Haly

Slutty Miqo, slightly less slutty miqo, belt miqo, Rightningu miqo, generic white haired male protag, mysterious mad hatter, token big black guy.

Yep, sure is Final Fantasy up in here.

All those Moon kitties. Congrats on the win! Hopefully my new team can get started on Second Coil soon...

And all of you whiny DRG's disgust me. You don't know the MNK struggle...=(

Picked this up on the PS4 on Wednesday, forgot all about GAF Guilds so ended up creating character on Moogle, will keep playing and then once I know what I'm doing maybe create a character on a server with your guys.

Seems pretty good so far, if not a little text heavy!

plake

Picked this up on the PS4 on Wednesday, forgot all about GAF Guilds so ended up creating character on Moogle, will keep playing and then once I know what I'm doing maybe create a character on a server with your guys.

Seems pretty good so far, if not a little text heavy!

Welcome! You should just redo your char on ultros before you invest too much time and realise a transfer is 18 USD. We'd be glad to have you!

WolvenOne

Okay, so, room for improvement but our groups down T7 again, so it's not a fluke, and it's time to prepare for T8.

(Hold me! D:)

There's a strong possibility that I'm going to have to go into that fight as a ilvl 93 Dragoon, but having parsed myself tonight, I seem to only do around 260-70. It'll briefly go higher then that, but I think I'm just making too many small lil mistakes in my rotation right now. The fact that I don't play this class very often is, really rearing it's ugly head right now.

For context, if I go WAR with DPS jewelry, I bounce between 210-220, I imagine that'll go up a little, after I get my Novus in a few weeks.

Anyhow, long story short, looking for any resources on Dragoon DPS you might know of. Plus, is Titan HM a good fight to practice Dragoon DPS on, if I'm looking for a T8 analog?

dcye

What are your other DPS averaging? 260-70 is fine if the others are above 300. You main a tank so you shouldn't be expected to be a top tier dps IMO.

BadRNG

And all of you whiny DRG's disgust me. You don't know the MNK struggle...=(
I find DRG way harder to play perfect then MNK. You can be pretty awful with MNK and still pull numbers way better than any other dps class. The game basically handholds you rotation wise, the most difficult part is for fights with phase breaks on whether or not you can time a GL move before it begins so you can keep stacks when break is over. This isn't exactly rocket science though and some fights it's not possible.

Anyhow, long story short, looking for any resources on Dragoon DPS you might know of.
All you need.

Plus, is Titan HM a good fight to practice Dragoon DPS on, if I'm looking for a T8 analog?
No, and I'm not sure how you could think it is. Too many moments when you can't dps. Just use a training dummy, it's not 100% identical situation as depending on your groups T8 strat you will lose a few seconds of dps every now and then, but it's way closer than Titan. Just focus on getting the rotation down to muscle memory on it.

And yeah 260-270 is low for i93.

What are your other DPS averaging? 260-70 is fine if the others are above 300. You main a tank so you shouldn't be expected to be a top tier dps IMO.
I don't like this line of thought at all. You should always strive to do the best you can, no matter how much practice it takes. I say this as a PLD that plays an awful DRG during T8.

IvorB

The base Relic is ilvl80, so no it's not that much more powerful. However, there are various ways to upgrade it over time, and, as of now, it can go from ilvl80, all the way upto ilvl110.

Thing is, going entirely to 110 would take a lot of work. Going to ilvl90 on the other hand, not so much. Either way, you'll want to do the Relic line at some point or another, just to unlock the Trial Roulette option.

Edit: Besides, Chimera and Hydra are both fun fights in their own right. Just, remember not to stand in the center of the Ring when you're doing Hydra. XD

Yeah I guess it's got to be done anyway so I might as well just bite the bullet and splash the cash. I'm really looking forward to the next round of big fights. I'll remember your advice but I'm a black mage so I have no idea why I would ever even be considering standing in the centre.

I had 200k when I bought mine for 100k, and now a few weeks later have nearly 500k just from doing main scenario and low level roulette, and beast dailies. I'd say buying it is worth it since you get to avoid the hassle of the materia mess.

Yeah a part of me wants to just buy the completed item and be done with it. But it's not too much hassle to buy the separate pieces and hopefully some kind soul in the guild will meld them for me.

For me it cost me about half to buy the weapon and materia separately and have someone meld it for me in Mor Dhona. Look into that option.

The weapon itself was only around 8k, but the materia were 60k each. The completed weapon was over 200k. So maybe just bite the bullet and spend the 100k. It's not very expensive.

Wait... it cost you half but the completed weapon was 200K (which is double). I don't understand.

IMBored

The prices of the completed precursor weapons on the market are crazy, like 2 or 3 times the cost of the materials needed. Preying on people without an FC and don't want to shout for a melder.

dwix

So, since I've recently re-subbed and there's a lot of new stuff to get and do, I have a weapon question:

I currently have my relic weapon for my Bard, which was the big thing before I left, but now I'm not sure which weapon to focus on next. What's the best next step for a Bard?

Right now I'm focusing my Myth tomes on upgrading to the i90 gear, but maybe I should snag the Relic Zenith first?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Unless you're a SMN/SCh, having a high level crafter make the relic precusor is cheap and easy. The materia though...

Got two Quicktongues III the other day for 16k each.
For comparison, back when I was doing WHM relic two? months ago it cost me 35k each.

orion434

Finished my 5th Animus book last night, 950 myth already saved toward the next book. I have been completing them at a casual pace, when I have the myth tomes I get the next book, I craft while I wait for FATE's to pop, for me the Enemy-section is the only thing that takes me really out of the way... I do them last.

I don't get why people complain about Materia, there are always Spiritbonding parties on Ultros. 30 minutes will net you up to 11 Materia.

Tiops

I need some help with tanking:

I'm a level 25 GLD (already have CNJ at level 15, so only 5 levels to unlock PLD), and I've been handling the dungeons with success, even getting all the recommendations of the party. But then I got to the level 24 dungeon (forgot the name), and I did a really poor job there.

I just couldn't keep the aggro. There was a SCH with a Carbuncle that got my aggro everytime, and the DRG also gave me trouble. But I actually don't know what I was doing wrong there.

How many times should I Flash a mob? And I have to combo Fast Blade into Savage Blade to generate more enmity, right? What else can I do at that level range to keep the aggro at my character? It was the first dungeon that I didn't get any recommendation, and apparently really was my fault.

Can someone give me advice? I'm really enjoying the tanking job, and I would like to be good at it :p

Jeezus I just had the most frustrating experience yet with this game. I’m cleaning up some of the post-end game quest, and one of them has me going back to the low level Temple of Qarn. Neither the tank nor the healer knew what the hell they were doing. We ended up running out of time on that easy damn temple; 90 minutes wasted, AGH. Low level tanks that don’t know what they are doing are just the worst, and hell the healer kept taking aggro from him and not healing anyone. I just can’t.

Haly

Qarn broke my spirit as well. But my group still had fun. It was interesting wiping for once.

The bigger problem are people don't seem to be able to read. When I give clear concise instructions before a fight, mark targets, and the DPS still screws up, well.

You might be new, and that's okay, but it's evident you're also bad, and your reading comprehension sucks.

Does anyone notice if PS3/4 players with a controller are worse than those PC/PS4 with a KB/M combos? I'm using a controller at the moment but wondering if the experience would be easier with a keyboard. I used to play WoW a lot so used to that control method.

Tabris

Does anyone notice if PS3/4 players with a controller are worse than those PC/PS4 with a KB/M combos? I'm using a controller at the moment but wondering if the experience would be easier with a keyboard. I used to play WoW a lot so used to that control method.

Depends on job and comfortability, on what you will be better with. If you're used to WoW, then you'll be better with a KB/M.

Haly

This thread hates controller users.

They're like sub-human in GAF's eyes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

While it is a bit clunkier in my opinion you shouldn't have any trouble playing with a controller until highest tier content such as Coil and Extreme primals.

dwix

I'm a level 25 GLD (already have CNJ at level 15, so only 5 levels to unlock PLD), and I've been handling the dungeons with success, even getting all the recommendations of the party. But then I got to the level 24 dungeon (forgot the name), and I did a really poor job there.

I just couldn't keep the aggro. There was a SCH with a Carbuncle that got my aggro everytime, and the DRG also gave me trouble. But I actually don't know what I was doing wrong there.

How many times should I Flash a mob? And I have to combo Fast Blade into Savage Blade to generate more enmity, right? What else can I do at that level range to keep the aggro at my character? It was the first dungeon that I didn't get any recommendation, and apparently really was my fault.

Can someone give me advice? I'm really enjoying the tanking job, and I would like to be good at it :p

First off, it sounds like your party was not very good at allowing you to tank. If your SCH had tank Carbuncle out, or didn't control their behaviors, that isn't your fault. The DRG should also be watching their aggro level and make sure they give you enough time to generate enmity before unloading.

Mark your targets so everyone knows who to attack, then open up with your Shield Lob and then Flash once the mobs are near you. There isn't much to do outside of your Savage Blade combo and using Flash upon starting a fight. Make sure that once you run through a Savage Blade combo or two on the first mob (look at enmity meter) that you start to cycle through the various targets and hitting them to keep your group enmity up.

In low level dungeons, I used to spam Flash two or three times at the beginning of a group fight dungeons with success, but I don't know if that actually does anything. Popping Flash periodically is also helpful, and if you start running out of MP go through a Riot Blade combo or two.

You also have Provoke, which allows you to jump right ahead of the person with the most Enmity, so use that if someone pulls a mob off of you.

Haly

Flash builds Enmity cumulatively like any other move, so spamming Flash often works.

It's Provoke that is wonky if you don't understand how Taunts, in MMOs, work.

Mesharey

Spam flash as many times as you want, you can get MP back by fast blade and (savage?) blade.
Hit all enemies so you get the aggro.

I think that's all at this level.

Haly

Occasionally, you'll get a BRD or ARC in your group who has crazy burst. In those cases, Flash spam will fail you and you need to do your single target Enmity combo to keep up with their dee pee ess.
(savage?) blade.

Riot Blade is the one that gives MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom