• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

In that desynthesis preview it shows them desynthesizing an Ifrit sword, correct? If so that must be why they said to keep those primal weapons, there must be items you can only get from desynthisizing them.

dramatis

I just couldn't keep the aggro. There was a SCH with a Carbuncle that got my aggro everytime, and the DRG also gave me trouble. But I actually don't know what I was doing wrong there.
If it is a low-level dungeon and that player is actually using a Carbuncle (scholar does not use Carbuncle), check if it is yellow or blue, and if it is yellow ask the Arcanist to use Emerald/Blue Carbuncle instead.

If it's a Summoner using what looks like flying chicken nuggets, tell him to put his Titan-Egi away and bring out the Buffalo Wild Wings (Ifrit-Egi) or the green chicken (Garuda-Egi).

If it is a low-level dungeon and that player is actually using a Carbuncle (scholar does not use Carbuncle), check if it is yellow or blue, and if it is yellow ask the Arcanist to use Emerald/Blue Carbuncle instead.

If it's a Summoner using what looks like flying chicken nuggets, tell him to put his Titan-Egi away and bring out the Buffalo Wild Wings (Ifrit-Egi) or the green chicken (Garuda-Egi).

Thanks a lot, now I'm just gonna think of chicken whenever I see summoner pets now.

Wait... it cost you half but the completed weapon was 200K (which is double). I don't understand.

I paid about half as much (~120k) for the relic by buying stuff separately than I would have paid for the weapon already melded (over 200k). YMMV, but it's worth looking into.

Does anyone notice if PS3/4 players with a controller are worse than those PC/PS4 with a KB/M combos? I'm using a controller at the moment but wondering if the experience would be easier with a keyboard. I used to play WoW a lot so used to that control method.

No. But don't expect them to communicate in the middle of a boss fight. Typing while playing is a really bad idea on a controller (as I learned last night).

Edit: Desynth sounds fun, but also a new grind on crafters (yay). Interesting that you'll have to pick which classes you want to level up instead of being a master at everything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seems they are slowly making crafters choose which craft to specialize in a bit.

Kind of like how they are really pushing people to specialize in one battle class for the most part with things like the relic upgrades, changing the LB requirements etc.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I need some help with tanking:

I'm a level 25 GLD (already have CNJ at level 15, so only 5 levels to unlock PLD), and I've been handling the dungeons with success, even getting all the recommendations of the party. But then I got to the level 24 dungeon (forgot the name), and I did a really poor job there.

I just couldn't keep the aggro. There was a SCH with a Carbuncle that got my aggro everytime, and the DRG also gave me trouble. But I actually don't know what I was doing wrong there.

How many times should I Flash a mob? And I have to combo Fast Blade into Savage Blade to generate more enmity, right? What else can I do at that level range to keep the aggro at my character? It was the first dungeon that I didn't get any recommendation, and apparently really was my fault.

Can someone give me advice? I'm really enjoying the tanking job, and I would like to be good at it :p

Were they using emerald or topaz carbuncle (blue or orange)? Were they attacking different mobs than you were enmitying?

A lot of tanks will mark targets to attack first, second, etc. Unfortunately that doesn't mean everyone will follow direction.

I usually start off will throwing my shield, flashing, and then savage comboing something.

orion434

Seems they are slowly making crafters choose which craft to specialize in a bit.

As a Master Crafter, I actually like the idea of Specialization. When the 3* Market was born, working with another crafter was a mutual benefit. Now, If anyone approaches me about crafting a 3* I can make everything myself and I'll sell it for less than the MB value, I've been stockpiling the mats my retainers bring me and the myth-mat market is bottoming-out just as the philo-mat market crashed. There were 47 listings for Cashmere Fleece last night...

I know for Desynthesis I'm going Leatherworker / Weaver / Alchemist.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As a Master Crafter, I actually like the idea of Specialization. When the 3* Market was born, working with another crafter was a mutual benefit. Now, If anyone approaches me about crafting a 3* I can make everything myself and I'll sell it for less than the MB value, I've been stockpiling the mats my retainers bring me and the myth-mat market is bottoming-out just as the philo-mat market crashed. There were 47 listings for Cashmere Fleece last night...

I think specialization is a great idea. Over time, it would create a real economy in the game.

Frazley

Kind of like how they are really pushing people to specialize in one battle class for the most part with things like the relic upgrades, changing the LB requirements etc.

But amazingly it still seems you can still respec for the most part at any time. Specializing isn't bad, but you still have some flexibility.

Isaccard

That Ifrit sword looking nice!

e488fcaa436e68de12164d48b7aca681b15fc4b4_3.png

Lol @ everyone who gambled on rare primal drops on the mb

Jayhawk

I shall wait until the recipes are revealed before deciding what I want to specialize in for desynthesis. Hopefully, specialization nets me the same feeling I got when I finally made my own Cursed Hauberk -1 in FFXI.

IvorB

Jeezus I just had the most frustrating experience yet with this game. I’m cleaning up some of the post-end game quest, and one of them has me going back to the low level Temple of Qarn. Neither the tank nor the healer knew what the hell they were doing. We ended up running out of time on that easy damn temple; 90 minutes wasted, AGH. Low level tanks that don’t know what they are doing are just the worst, and hell the healer kept taking aggro from him and not healing anyone. I just can’t.

Ah The Sunken Temple of Qarn. Still taking names. That warms my heart.

Why alchemist?

I'm still working on my crafters. I have 3 at 50 and the others around 25 - 35. Except alchemist at 15. I just can't bring myself to level that up (even though I know I have to). But the stuff they make seems to useless, so I'd like to know if it gets better later on.

Edit:
Having all 8 Crafting jobs @ lv 50, their Master Recipe Books then acquiring all 8 Artisan Tools & Spectacles. I can craft anything in the game :)

Do you have a different melded equipment set for everyone, or is Patrician enough?

I need to decide soon which way I'm gonna go, but I'm completely lost at this point.

IvorB

Having all 8 Crafting jobs @ lv 50, their Master Recipe Books then acquiring all 8 Artisan Tools & Spectacles. I can craft anything in the game :)

I don't believe you. Why I don't even think you could craft a simple Sanguine Sceptre with two level 3 Savage Might materia in it.

Jeezus I just had the most frustrating experience yet with this game. I’m cleaning up some of the post-end game quest, and one of them has me going back to the low level Temple of Qarn. Neither the tank nor the healer knew what the hell they were doing. We ended up running out of time on that easy damn temple; 90 minutes wasted, AGH. Low level tanks that don’t know what they are doing are just the worst, and hell the healer kept taking aggro from him and not healing anyone. I just can’t.
Gotta love it when DD are complaining.... Not like you got something difficult to do in the game.

The Temple of Qarn is btw. the very first difficult dungeon in the game where the tank has to show some skill in order for the group to make it. So cut them some slack or do it yourself mate.

Trojita

Gotta love it when DD are complaining.... Not like you got something difficult to do in the game.

The Temple of Qarn is btw. the very first difficult dungeon in the game where the tank has to show some skill in order for the group to make it. So cut them some slack or do it yourself mate.
Anyone that believes the other roles aren't doing anything worth while are fooling themselves and if someone insults someone playing the same role they do, they feel the need to defend them like they are defending themselves.

Some people are just bad. This has nothing to do with whether a role is easy or not, a dps is saying the tank was bad and they likely were. I had a tank we thought for the longest time was a bot because he insisted on spamming riot blade.

Any role in this game isn't really that hard to play.

Plus those bees were nerfed.

Dunan

I lovve that guy in Mor Dhona who is all "don't know you; don't care to" until you reach level 50 in a crafting job and then he's suddenly buddy-buddy with you. There needs to be a missio where you can show him up somehow.

Or you know, people could listen when you tell them what to do. If someone is doing a terrible job it makes for a painful experience, and no I'd rather play as my class. Know your class. I never complained to the tank nor the healer throughout the entire 90 minutes; me and the other player that knew what was going on kept telling them what to do.

orion434

Thats amazing.

So jelly haha

Why alchemist?

I'm still working on my crafters. I have 3 at 50 and the others around 25 - 35. Except alchemist at 15. I just can't bring myself to level that up (even though I know I have to). But the stuff they make seems to useless, so I'd like to know if it gets better later on.

Edit:

Do you have a different melded equipment set for everyone, or is Patrician enough?

I need to decide soon which way I'm gonna go, but I'm completely lost at this point.

Thanx! I put in a lot of time and work into my Crafting :)

Alchemist could probably desynthesize Tawny Latex or Terminus Putty. Also I get so many useless potions it would be nice to just convert them to Shards / Crystals / Clusters.

I have 8 separate 4-piece fully melded Class-Specific Crafting sets, all have the same order of Materia. Then I have the Artisan Spectacles that can be used by all 8 classes. I made all these sets before Christmas and they were certainly put to good use :)

I would hold off on melding the Head-piece if you can, just to save on Gil. I sell Fully melded ilv 55 5-piece sets for 1 mil Gil.

Dunan

Damage-dealing is only easy once you learn how to play the class. Until you do, the BLM (for example) is perhaps as unintuitive as it can possibly be for an RPG veteran who is playing an MMO for the first time. Elements mean nothing; lightning works like poison (huh?); ice's main function is to restore MP (what?), the game makes you wait a minute or so before drinking a second ether bottle; you randomly get the ability to cast something at no MP cost; etc., etc., etc.

I had not fully grasped all this stuff by Qarn; my level was in the 40s when I finally mastered playing this class.

Contrast this with the conjurer which works just like it "should", and when it introduces new concepts, does so with just the right steepness of curve.

If your allies aren't playing their classes the way they should, educate them. It can't be too much of a demand to ask for this, given that all you have to do is type in the chatbox.

dramatis

Damage-dealing is only easy once you learn how to play the class. Until you do, the BLM (for example) is perhaps as unintuitive as it can possibly be for an RPG veteran who is playing an MMO for the first time. Elements mean nothing; lightning works like poison (huh?); ice's main function is to restore MP (what?), the game makes you wait a minute or so before drinking a second ether bottle; you randomly get the ability to cast something at no MP cost; etc., etc., etc.

I had not fully grasped all this stuff by Qarn; my level was in the 40s when I finally mastered playing this class.

Contrast this with the conjurer which works just like it "should", and when it introduces new concepts, does so with just the right steepness of curve.
To be honest the real black mage doesn't start until the 40s, with the Firestarter proc that becomes essential to the damage output of the class. The final spell of black mage, Flare, is also something that requires a bit of learning.

I would say because 'healing is healing' do you end up approaching conjurer/white mage with a perception that is roughly equal to what it is. If you play scholar for instance, jumping straight from white mage it will feel like a weird class.

Or you know, people could listen when you tell them what to do. If someone is doing a terrible job it makes for a painful experience, and no I'd rather play as my class. Know your class. I never complained to the tank nor the healer throughout the entire 90 minutes; me and the other player that knew what was going on kept telling them what to do.

Low level tanking is a pain in the ass in terms of keeping aggro, anyway. You should level a tank class, then you might gain a little sympathy.

Trojita

If your allies aren't playing their classes the way they should, educate them. It can't be too much of a demand to ask for this, given that all you have to do is type in the chatbox.

To be fair, black mage doesn't really make sense, whether it is a mmo or not.

You act as if any job is much more difficult than another?

Tank = stand still
DPS = hit enemy
Healer = heal tank that is standing still
Not going to quote everyone who replyed, only you (sry, I'm on iPad so it's a pain in the butt to write).

That said, no, just no. Doing tank and doing DD is a whole other world of difficulty. I've done both and compared to the tank damage dealing is a joke.. And no, it's not just standing still. Keeping the aggro is EXTREMELY hard at a certainy point and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing in order to get your group through. It's very easy at first but from the Temple of Qarn on the difficulty when tanking jumps exponentionally. I thought I knew how to tank before doing this dungeon to find out that I don't know how it's done properly. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to find out how do tank while the other members of the group shout "bad tank" after the first group. And it really takes time for one to learn which attacks and spells to do when and at the same time to pay attention to not run out of mana.

I haven't done the healer so far but I can't imagine this being anything like tanking as well. Anyway, in terms of difficulty tanking is miles away from damge dealing. i can't believe that anyone here is actually questioning this.

zewone

Not going to quote everyone who replyed, only you (sry, I'm on iPad so it's a pain in the butt to write).

That said, no, just no. Doing tank and doing DD is a whole other world of difficulty. I've done both and compared to the tank damage dealing is a joke.. And no, it's not just standing still. Keeping the aggro is EXTREMELY hard at a certainy point and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing in order to get your group through. It's very easy at first but from the Temple of Qarn on the difficulty when tanking jumps exponentionally. I thought I knew how to tank before doing this dungeon to find out that I don't know how it's done properly. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to find out how do tank while the other members of the group shout "bad tank" after the first group. And it really takes time for one to learn which attacks and spells to do when and at the same time to pay attention to not run out of mana.

I haven't done the healer so far but I can't imagine this being anything like tanking as well. Anyway, in terms of difficulty tanking is miles away from damge dealing. i can't believe that anyone here is actually questioning this.
Keeping aggro is equivalent to doing a proper DPS rotation, who have just as much as time of hearing "slow DPS" or "bad DPS". Just because you have to pay attention to a meter (DPS have to pay attention to it as well) doesn't make the job any more difficult.

IMBored

Thanx! I put in a lot of time and work into my Crafting :)
I have 8 separate 4-piece fully melded Class-Specific Crafting sets, all have the same order of Materia. Then I have the Artisan Spectacles that can be used by all 8 classes. I made all these sets before Christmas and they were certainly put to good use :)

I would hold off on melding the Head-piece if you can, just to save on Gil. I sell Fully melded ilv 55 5-piece sets for 1 mil Gil.

I bow to you. I just geared my botanist for fragrant logs yesterday, and that wiped out almost all my gathering materia, plus a fair amount of gil. Having to do that for 8 classes seems crazy.
Question, what class should I level now, I got CRP, LTW and WVR to 50, I'm thinking BSM for ingenuity II, with GSM so I can repair my accessories?

Keeping aggro is equivalent to doing a proper DPS rotation, who have just as much as time of hearing "slow DPS" or "bad DPS". Just because you have to pay attention to a meter (DPS have to pay attention to it as well) doesn't make the job any more difficult.

To be fair, there's only 1 tank. If he's losing aggro everyone notices immediately (since their health starts to go down). If the healers sucks you wipe. If the DPS are terrible, it's a lot harder to pinpoint though. One extremely good one could carry the other, so you won't notice much difference vs a normal round. Most dungeons are much more lenient to DPS mistakes IMO, and there won't be much difference in small pulls in low level dungeons.

That said, even at low level everything can be tanked, so you shouldn't be losing hate even if the DPS attack whatever they want and the healer is playing stupid. Then again I'm a WAR, Overpower really honors its name.

I never heard "bad dps" or anything at all and I did that build up to 50. DPS rotation is easy as hell.
The thing is that most of the time is doesn't really matter if a dps isn't doing the job properly. However, when a tank fucks up, it means the healer is dead and therefore the group as well.

Have you even ever done a tank? I'm not sure what we are even arguing about here. I had one especially cruel group when I started tanking who expilictly told me to stop tanking and do DD first because it's much easier - which it definitly is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
>not standing outside of the circles
>not focusing adds
>not interacting with stuff around the stage that needs to be interacted with
>killing the fucking bombs in the mine
>killing the Qarn heads before they moved onto the right spot, I've had a DRG that did this 5 times before he realized something was up, despite me spamming chat with "STOP DPS"

There are plenty of places for DPS to fuck up in this game. Oftentimes, I find it easier just to do those things myself and risk missing a few rotations. Saves me headaches in the long run.

Most DPS faceroll their way to 50* and you can really tell, because when the battle involves a trick, suddenly, they become babies and need to be coddled and guided by my firm yet gentle hand. And I'm brand fucking new to this game.

*I assume the problem persists past 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom