• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

I never heard "bad dps" or anything at all and I did that build up to 50. DPS rotation is easy as hell.
The thing is that most of the time is doesn't really matter if a dps isn't doing the job properly. However, when a tank fucks up, it means the healer is dead and therefore the group as well.

Have you even ever done a tank? I'm not sure what we are even arguing about here. I had one especially cruel group when I started tanking who expilictly told me to stop tanking and do DD first because it's much easier - which it definitly is.

My MRD is only level 15. Are we talking strictly 4 player low level dungeons here? Because DPS checking is a very real thing in coil and EX primal fights.

I'm saying that everyone has a job to do, and they are all equally important. If anyone screws up, it can wipe a group.

Thanx! I put in a lot of time and work into my Crafting :)

Alchemist could probably desynthesize Tawny Latex or Terminus Putty. Also I get so many useless potions it would be nice to just convert them to Shards / Crystals / Clusters.

I have 8 separate 4-piece fully melded Class-Specific Crafting sets, all have the same order of Materia. Then I have the Artisan Spectacles that can be used by all 8 classes. I made all these sets before Christmas and they were certainly put to good use :)

I would hold off on melding the Head-piece if you can, just to save on Gil. I sell Fully melded ilv 55 5-piece sets for 1 mil Gil.

Like you said, do you really need a fully melded headpiece?

The materia is by far the most expensive part and that I can just meld myself (I honestly have no idea what it'll end up costing me, maybe 1 mill is a bargain, I have no clue). I've already bought the HQ ilv 55 pieces for the LTW, which is the one I wanted the most, at around 10k-15k a piece. I was curious if that was required for all the classes. I also have CUL at 50, and for 2* foods Patrician should be enough. I have no idea what the 3* are like.

I kinda wanted to have 1 set for most of the crafts and 1 for LTW and maybe ARM, perhaps WVR as well. I don't know. Is it worth doing that? 8 full pentamelded sets sounds waaaay to expensive for me at the moment (I have 2 mill at the moment).

Mupod

Not going to quote everyone who replyed, only you (sry, I'm on iPad so it's a pain in the butt to write).

That said, no, just no. Doing tank and doing DD is a whole other world of difficulty. I've done both and compared to the tank damage dealing is a joke.. And no, it's not just standing still. Keeping the aggro is EXTREMELY hard at a certainy point and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing in order to get your group through. It's very easy at first but from the Temple of Qarn on the difficulty when tanking jumps exponentionally. I thought I knew how to tank before doing this dungeon to find out that I don't know how it's done properly. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to find out how do tank while the other members of the group shout "bad tank" after the first group. And it really takes time for one to learn which attacks and spells to do when and at the same time to pay attention to not run out of mana.

I haven't done the healer so far but I can't imagine this being anything like tanking as well. Anyway, in terms of difficulty tanking is miles away from damge dealing. i can't believe that anyone here is actually questioning this.

Make macros to mark your primary target with a 1, maybe drop a 2 on the second target if you're a real overachiever. I set this up before I even started doing dungeons when leveling and rarely had aggro problems. Only exception I can think of was getting a healer who ONLY spammed medica when I was a GLD with no shield oath and pitiful MP.

Once you're used to spreading the second and third hits of your aggro combo across targets, threat generation is no problem even with total morons in the party. I honestly found tanking in this game to be super easy compared to other MMOs I've played, but I play a tank in everything so I'm used to leading parties and marking etc.

Funny thing is once you hit 50, tanking becomes easier. I haven't had to mark targets since about a week after hitting 50, and I've never had to do it on my warrior. Your role in endgame fights is rarely more difficult than the rest of the party (exception: garuda HM/EX) and you don't need to worry about keeping up a complex optimal rotation while dodging instakill AOEs.

In dungeons I suppose it's easier to be a completely horrible DPS and get away with it, though. Since the only thing people notice is that things are dying slower, even then the other DPS might pick up the slack. A clueless tank is the worst thing ever, which is why I play tanks, I can't deal with that.

aceface

I never heard "bad dps" or anything at all and I did that build up to 50. DPS rotation is easy as hell.
The thing is that most of the time is doesn't really matter if a dps isn't doing the job properly. However, when a tank fucks up, it means the healer is dead and therefore the group as well.

Have you even ever done a tank? I'm not sure what we are even arguing about here. I had one especially cruel group when I started tanking who expilictly told me to stop tanking and do DD first because it's much easier - which it definitly is.

In my experience you're not going to hear complaints about your DPS until you get to the more strict DPS checks in coil and the ex primals.

Dunan

The game teaches you how to play via quests often. You will be at a disadvantage come end game by not having done all your quests.

It does -- sometimes -- but the Guildhests do an even better job of teaching.

Frequently when doing class quests it's clear that the game wants you to notice something in order to win the battle, but won't tell you what, and will let you get frustrated as you lose over and over trying to discover it.

When I first tried a Marauder during the beta (because I wanted to see Limsa, and it was the only starting class there), I knew nothing of the tripartite DPS-healer-tank MMO system, and saw the Marauder as someone who had high defense and could dish out damage. There's a story battle (level 15, IIRC) where you have no possibility of winning unless you understand that unlike in other RPGs, enemy enmity applies to individuals.

Once you know that, you can use the appropriate attacks and get the enemies' attention away from the people you're trying to save, but since the game never tells you about this concept (and since you've been soloing so far and wouldn't have had the chance to ever learn it by chance), you're doomed to fail that battle over and over, as I did about a dozen times.

I wish the class quests were more like the guildhests, which are pretty explicit about the concepts they're teaching. The battlewarden can be snarky and contemptuous, but it's part of the fun because he does tell you what you need to know. You've got the one where you learn not to get aggro from too many enemies at once; the one where you leave one type of enemy alone while attacking others; the one where you have to knock down barriers and dodge AoE attacks.

Giving out rewards for doing guildhests repeatedly was a great idea, because it's an incentive for people to keep doing them and learn in short, compact sessions how to play the game. If you're still learning basic concepts while in the dungeons -- and you have every excuse to still be doing so then, because of the number of obtuse concepts that this game throws at you -- your party-mates are going to be angry and it won't be fun for anyone. This game needs to do a better job of teaching people, because it really is fun once you figure out what's going on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lowbie tanking in this game is harder than WoW, I feel, because of the lack of tools from the very start. Provoke (a basic tanking tool) at level 22. Shield Oath at level ~40. Otherwise my tools were Flash + Rotation with the odd cooldown thrown in (which were mostly useless for Enmity generation, more to cover my ass when the healer gets distracted by their sexting).

There was a period between 20-30 that I was really struggling because the DPS were getting their shit faster than I was getting mine, so I lost aggro a lot and it made me frustrated because there was literally nothing I could do better short of telling them to stop DPS and let me build up enmity.

As a tank, if I have to ask the DPS to give me some space to work with, I feel like I've failed somewhere. It wasn't pleasant.

Low level tanking is a pain in the ass in terms of keeping aggro, anyway. You should level a tank class, then you might gain a little sympathy.

I don't doubt that tanking is difficult; I have always assumed it's the most difficult role to play. That being said; I do expect people to learn how to play their role. I love playing the SMN role, but I have seen bad SMN's and other DPS that do not play correct (I'm sure I've had my share of mistakes as well), and no they don't get called out as often if at all; I get that. I realize tanking is a role of responsibility, and they do have my sympathy, but it doesn't make the experience of dealing with an unprepared tank that also doesn't listen to advice any less frustrating.

Eterniti

I enjoy playing all of the battle classes

I can't decide which to focus on :(

I focused on Archer/Bard because it allowed me to look at the inner workings of each of the fights and dungeons. Being able to see it from an outside perspective made me knowledgeable of what to expect when I actually play a class that requires me to stay in close quarters. It also helps when you attempt to tank and actually know how each dungeon and trial works.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't doubt that tanking is difficult; I have always assumed it's the most difficult role to play. That being said; I do expect people to learn how to play their role. I love playing the SMN role, but I have seen bad SMN's and other DPS that do not play correct (I'm sure I've had my share of mistakes as well), and no they don't get called out as often if at all; I get that. I realize tanking is a role of responsibility, and they do have my sympathy, but it doesn't make the experience of dealing with an unprepared tank that also doesn't listen to advice any less frustrating.

Tanking and Healing seems hard, and then you do it and realize it really isn't.

Early level healing is actually downright boring. Plus you can do it all on a controller easily.

Kandinsky

The game teaches you how to play via quests often. You will be at a disadvantage come end game by not having done all your quests.

I'm just scared my next class is going to be even slower because I wont have those quests to level up on, I mean lvling whm been really, really slow so far.

WolvenOne

Tanking and Healing seems hard, and then you do it and realize it really isn't.

Early level healing is actually downright boring. Plus you can do it all on a controller easily.

Eeeeehhh, the difficulty of Tanking really does depend on the fight, whether you're OT or MT, some of the actions of other players, etc etc. Tanking can be really easy, or it can be hair-pullingly frustrating.

WolvenOne

I'm just scared my next class is going to be even slower because I wont have those quests to level up on, I mean lvling whm been really, really slow so far.

You get a 50% EXP boost for additional classes you level up.

Also leveling actually goes pretty fast in the game, if you're taking advantage of the resources this game is giving you, properly.

Basically, take advantage of Duty Roulettes, take advantage of Challenge Logs, take advantage of Fates, take advantage of Guildhests, etc etc.

suzu

There are a lot of ways to get exp besides quests. So you might as well get the quests out of the way on your first class.

Unlock Low Level Roulette. Do that once a day and watch the exp roll in. And hunting logs, challenge logs, guildhests, fates, levequests..

Dunan

I had the opposite problem: the 789th Order of Kobolds quests are all so hilarious that I couldn't resist doing them daily, but since my BLM was already at level 50, it made no sense to claim the experience as that class, so I would switch to WHM when getting the reward. This has pushed my WHM level to something like 47 despite me not benig anywhere near skilled enough to justify a level that high.

And to echo the other posters, guildhests and roulette will help you a lot. Regular dungeon running will too. Basically anything but soloing and story/class quests. Save the low-level generic city quests for future low-level classes.

orion434

Like you said, do you really need a fully melded headpiece?

The materia is by far the most expensive part and that I can just meld myself (I honestly have no idea what it'll end up costing me, maybe 1 mill is a bargain, I have no clue). I've already bought the HQ ilv 55 pieces for the LTW, which is the one I wanted the most, at around 10k-15k a piece. I was curious if that was required for all the classes. I also have CUL at 50, and for 2* foods Patrician should be enough. I have no idea what the 3* are like.

I kinda wanted to have 1 set for most of the crafts and 1 for LTW and maybe ARM, perhaps WVR as well. I don't know. Is it worth doing that? 8 full pentamelded sets sounds waaaay to expensive for me at the moment (I have 2 mill at the moment).

If you don't mind Spiritbonding, you can get most of the Materia in a relative short time... compared to something like an Animus Weapon.

Most gear you can reach Max-Materia in 3 melds, 4 for the boots & legs if you want +1 Craftsmanship each, most people don't bother with the 4th meld due to Craftsman Competence I selling for 15K and you don't get +3 you only get +1

For the body I use the 2 100% melds on Command IV + Competence IV, this way I can do the Penta-meld on a Command I ( 1k Gil ) instead of Command II ( 20k Gil ) Then use Competence III on slot 3 & 4. The body is definitely the most expensive piece.

Find a Spiritbonding party in the South Shroud, craft a bunch of ilv 45 - 49 gear and just kill Water Sprites with a Spiritbonding potion active. You'll get 11 Type III Materia and a Type IV or 2 in 30 - 45 mins :)

tanking is super easy in any fight. Ask krael. Like any class/game you just need some awareness. The only fight that is slightly difficult is adds on titan ex. that's about it

zewone

Interesting... Duty Roulettes? is that new content, I dont remember them, and I have no idea what are they.

You get a random dungeon or instance that you have completed previously and you get a big XP bonus depending your current level when you complete it.

Can do it once per day.

Kandinsky

You get a random dungeon or instance that you have completed previously and you get a big XP bonus depending your current level when you complete it.

Can do it once per day.

ohhh, Ohhhh, OHHHHH

Edit: also im constantly getting messages like "theres 21 partys in your level range lfm" or something like that, what is that about?

If you don't mind Spiritbonding, you can get most of the Materia in a relative short time... compared to something like an Animus Weapon.

Most gear you can reach Max-Materia in 3 melds, 4 for the boots & legs if you want +1 Craftsmanship each, most people don't bother with the 4th meld due to Craftsman Competence I selling for 15K and you don't get +3 you only get +1

For the body I use the 2 100% melds on Command IV + Competence IV, this way I can do the Penta-meld on a Command I ( 1k Gil ) instead of Command II ( 20k Gil ) Then use Competence III on slot 3 & 4. The body is definitely the most expensive piece.

Find a Spiritbonding party in the South Shroud, craft a bunch of ilv 45 - 49 gear and just kill Water Sprites with a Spiritbonding potion active. You'll get 11 Type III Materia and a Type IV or 2 in 30 - 45 mins :)

This is some pretty good advice, I didn't know you could bond crafter gear by fighting. I thought only crafting counted.

I knew the body was the most expensive part, which is why the Dodore set looked so appealing to me. It has 3 slots and the same stats as the Patrician. I'm still debating whether or not to bother with it, since I don't really see myself building a full specific set for CUL or ALC for example.

WolvenOne

ohhh, Ohhhh, OHHHHH

Edit: also im constantly getting messages like "theres 21 partys in your level range lfm" or something like that, what is that about?

Party Finder probably, basically it's a billboard system used to put parties together on your own server. You can use it yourself, if you want to assemble a party for X, Y, or Z dungeon.

Jayhawk

I knew the body was the most expensive part, which is why the Dodore set looked so appealing to me. It has 3 slots and the same stats as the Patrician. I'm still debating whether or not to bother with it, since I don't really see myself building a full specific set for CUL or ALC for example.

You don't even need materia melded on crafting gear to make anything that is 1-star or below. You will have some trouble HQ'ing 40 durability 1-star stuff.

You absolutely need materia melded to be able to make 2-star and 3-star items and HQ them. Dodore and Patrician's set are not possible for 3-star recipes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
aceface, are we still good with doing Titan Ex at 9?

I wonder if we will even get enough people in the fc to do it.

aceface

Yep we're on. Had a couple of people volunteer so I think we should at least be able to get up to 5 or 6 people and then can fill the rest via pf if needed. What's your name in-game btw?

iammeiam

If for some reason you somehow can't find enough DPS, I'd be happy to join up (Angary Fays.) I'm just not great so the level of help I provide could be questionable.

aceface

Ranketsu Jaeger

Oh ok, I've seen you around.

If for some reason you somehow can't find enough DPS, I'd be happy to join up (Angary Fays.) I'm just not great so the level of help I provide could be questionable.

Well it is a learning party so we'll take anyone who wants to go. Truth be told it's been about a month since I cleared Titan EX so I'm a little bit nervous about remembering the pattern. It's like riding a bike, right? Right...?

dwix

So, since I've recently re-subbed and there's a lot of new stuff to get and do, I have a weapon question:

I currently have my relic weapon for my Bard, which was the big thing before I left, but now I'm not sure which weapon to focus on next. What's the best next step for a Bard?

Right now I'm focusing my Myth tomes on upgrading to the i90 gear, but maybe I should snag the Relic Zenith first?

Any thoughts on this? Or does it ultimately not matter enough to worry about it?

aceface

Any thoughts on this? Or does it ultimately not matter enough to worry about it?

Especially for DPS always get your relic Zenith first before your other myth gear.

Then you can start working on Atma, Animus for relic and/or getting your i95 weapon from Leviathan EX.

orion434

This is some pretty good advice, I didn't know you could bond crafter gear by fighting. I thought only crafting counted.

Also if you go solo on Spiritbonding, if you call your Chocobo it will take longer, I don't think it cuts it in 1/2 but you'll notice a difference.

CUL will bring you in the most Gil, 2* HQ food is in demand and fairly easy to HQ using no HQ ingredients. You may have to baby-sit the summon bell on the weekends for under-cutters.

I supply our FC's raid teams with HQ Food, they gather the ingredients, I HQ it, if I need to run a specific dungeon they "help" me through it... it's not a carry! lol

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on that. I've gone through 20+ converts (not all in one sitting) without getting a single type IV.

I got 3 Type IV's out of 11 once... never took an average, probably 1/10, I never got a Type IV from the Red Coral Earrings. I can not say if ilv 45 gear produces Type IV's. All the other pieces have.

Jayhawk

It depends what your goals are. Relic zenith will provide the biggest upgrade damage-wise compared to other myth gear. You can farm i90 gear from the first coil turns and extreme primals. If your ilvl is too low to queue up for first coil and extreme primals, then buying myth gear first to up that ilvl is okay. One of the keys for gearing up a DPS job and trying out the harder content is meeting the accuracy requirements.

Regarding the subject of tank and dps difficulty, I find it is much harder to be a good dps at end-game. I used to main PLD and watched helplessly as groups fail DPS checks such as Conflags before they added echo. After getting frustrated, I switched main to MNK, so I can help with DPS checks. I find that it is much trickier to output high DPS than it is to sit there as PLD and time cooldowns.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm clumsily getting used to tanking in groups. Never been big on the role, only having done it for a bit as a pally in WoW, but trying to get out of my comfort zone a bit. Right now I'm mostly getting used to the rhythm of everything since there's that 1 second-ish GCD. Makes it interesting for trying to use interrupts. I've only done the early guildhests to get an idea of the basic mechanics, and keeping things off of people. Should be interesting once I pop into stuff like Sastasha and do a full dungeon.

Also, I love playing a tiny cat girl warrior running around with a huge two-handed axe. =p

V3slujk.jpg

RecklessWolf

Neo Member
I've been soloing since release on PS4 since none of my RL friends play the game. Now I'm kind of interested in starting an alt and playing with people who have mics and can communicate. Have there been any gaf FCs formed I could possibly hook up with or is there anyone interested in starting one?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I've been soloing since release on PS4 since none of my RL friends play the game. Now I'm kind of interested in starting an alt and playing with people who have mics and can communicate. Have there been any gaf FCs formed I could possibly hook up with or is there anyone interested in starting one?

OT?
Did you read the OT?

NateDog

Can anyone tell me why the PS3 CE of this is so cheap? I thought the content looked decent but I've seen it new for €20 which is kind of crazy especially since you can get the PS4 upgrade. Been tempted for a while to get it but the dwindling price makes me think that the art book and OST much suck or something.

WolvenOne

So, after careful consideration, I'm thinking the first thing I'm going to do in the patch, is power towards Ramah EM, and try to learn that fight ASAP. I really could use an ilvl100 lance for my DRG right now, plus there's people in my Coil group that could use ilvl100 weapons for their Alt classes.

Shame we can't see what those weapon stats are going to be like just yet.

Soon.

The only thing that might take higher precedence, is clearing the three new dungeons, and only because I need to keep the Expert Roulette open, so I can keep that additional Alexandrite coming in everyday.

Mr. RHC

So, after careful consideration, I'm thinking the first thing I'm going to do in the patch, is power towards Ramah EM, and try to learn that fight ASAP. I really could use an ilvl100 lance for my DRG right now, plus there's people in my Coil group that could use ilvl100 weapons for their Alt classes.

Shame we can't see what those weapon stats are going to be like just yet.

Soon.

Yeah, I would have wanted to see the story and Ramuh as soon as possible.

But since there is CT2, I will try to play right away when everybody is still a noob. I hope the ilvl requirements are not too high.

WolvenOne

Yeah, I would have wanted to see the story and Ramuh as soon as possible.

But since there is CT2, I will try to play right away when everybody is still a noob. I hope the ilvl requirements are not too high.

I'm expecting an ilvl requirement around 70 for that. Basically, "If you've collected most your CT set, you're okay for CT2."

I'm hopeful anyway. One of the issues with CT was that you'd get lots of players that had just barely hit fifty, and didn't know how to play their jobs properly. At ilvl70, it'd at least require most players to have hit fifty for at least a week or three.

WolvenOne

Also, speaking of.

I'm half inclined to hold off on spending Soldiery for a few weeks, until CT hits. I know everyone is talking about getting the Allagan Tomestone, but, that gear might be more valuable, especially if Ramah proves to be quite farmable. After all, until you have the upgrade Item, the unidentified Tomestone only gets you an ilvl100 weapon, same as with Ramah. However a lot of the ilvl100 Soldiery gear is sub-optimal stat wise, at least until upgraded to 110. The equivalent CT may be a good stop-gap in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom