• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Also, speaking of.

I'm half inclined to hold off on spending Soldiery for a few weeks, until CT hits. I know everyone is talking about getting the Allagan Tomestone, but, that gear might be more valuable, especially if Ramah proves to be quite farmable. After all, until you have the upgrade Item, the unidentified Tomestone only gets you an ilvl100 weapon, same as with Ramah. However a lot of the ilvl100 Soldiery gear is sub-optimal stat wise, at least until upgraded to 110. The equivalent CT may be a good stop-gap in the meantime.

I was using that strat. Then I 2,000 capped soldiery and had to sink some into something.

How does Crystal Tower work? If you have completed Turn 1 before, do you have to do it every time you do CT? Is it meant to be some onslaught of challenges / complete all turns in one go type thing?
Or is Bahamuts coil the thing with turns?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
How does Crystal Tower work? If you have completed Turn 1 before, do you have to do it every time you do CT? Is it meant to be some onslaught of challenges / complete all turns in one go type thing?

CT is not Coil, it's just a (series of) separate instance(s) tied together by a storyline.
The newest coil is a series of turns that you need to do in sequence every week (and every week you can clear them only once).
Old coil is now available to play freely.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I should have asked in my last post, but any tips for a burgeoning tank? I'm still sorting out a decent opener for grabbing groups of mobs (going tomahawk > overpower > flash for now, but will exclude overpower when certain mobs need to be slept). Also gotta sort out my hotbars better, as I'm noticing I need more of my abilities at the ready at all times compared to other classes I've tried.

SkyOdin

Or is Bahamuts coil the thing with turns?

Crystal Tower is a completely different thing than the Binding Coil and its Turns. The first part of the Crystal Tower, the Labyrinth of the Ancients, has always been enterable normally through the Duty Finder. You can enter the Labyrinth of the Ancients whenever you want, as many times as you want. However, it use to have a weekly limit on how much loot could get from it: you could only get one piece of armor every week. They rescinded that limit in 2.2 though. The second part of Crystal Tower, the upcoming Syrcus Tower, will have that same weekly limit at first, but will probably lose it when 2.4 hits.

Crystal Tower itself is differentiated from normal dungeons mostly by its number of players. The raid requires 24 players to work together, and the Labyrinth of the Ancients is mostly structured as a series of challenging and unique fights that require those 24 players to work together smoothly. What this means is that the labyrinth is heavy on mechanics that can instantly wipe raids if they mess things up. As long as you are familiar with your responsibilities it is a pretty easy dungeon, though.

Also, speaking of.

I'm half inclined to hold off on spending Soldiery for a few weeks, until CT hits. I know everyone is talking about getting the Allagan Tomestone, but, that gear might be more valuable, especially if Ramah proves to be quite farmable. After all, until you have the upgrade Item, the unidentified Tomestone only gets you an ilvl100 weapon, same as with Ramah. However a lot of the ilvl100 Soldiery gear is sub-optimal stat wise, at least until upgraded to 110. The equivalent CT may be a good stop-gap in the meantime.

Hadn't thought of that but it seems like a good idea, will probably just save up Soldiery in the meantime.

SkyOdin

I should have asked in my last post, but any tips for a burgeoning tank? I'm still sorting out a decent opener for grabbing groups of mobs (going tomahawk > overpower > flash for now, but will exclude overpower when certain mobs need to be slept). Also gotta sort out my hotbars better, as I'm noticing I need more of my abilities at the ready at all times compared to other classes I've tried.

It sounds like you have the basics down. There are two big risks when tanking: losing aggro to the DPS, and losing aggro the healer.

You can lose aggro to the DPS if they are either attacking targets you are not, or you are not producing enough aggro on the main target of attack. The latter is very rare unless you are not using your main aggro-producing combo. The former is mostly fixed by either marking the targets, or adjusting your main target of attack to what the DPS are focusing on. The good news is that for the most part, DPS will generally struggle to produce anywhere near as much aggro as you unless they are much better geared than you.

The main reason you might lose aggro to the healer is if you are not keeping up aggro gain on the enemies that are not the main subject of attack. The best way to deal with this is mostly just periodic uses of Flash or Overpower. Using a couple flashes or hits of Overpower at the start of a fight, followed by one every four or five hits or so is generally sufficient. You need to make some adjustments based on how much healing is being done and whether or not your party is going nuts with AoEs, though.

The most critical step when tanking is the opening pull, though. Your first priority is to establish aggro on all engaged enemies. If their name is still orange, than the first healing spell cast will pull them straight off you and onto the healer. Pulling with a tomahawk is a good move, but make sure to hit all of the enemies with a follow-up Flash or Overpower.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to not be afraid of using your defensive cool-downs. They recover fast enough that you can use them fairly regularly, so don't feel like you need to save them. If you feel like you are beginning to take an unsafe amount of damage, use a cooldown such as Foresight immediately.

WolvenOne

I was using the and t strat. Then I 2,000 capped soldiery and had to sink some into something.

Well I just spent some Soldiery last night, on the DRG leg pieces, and on another Noct Ring.

I'm nowhere near capping, and while there's a piece or two of DRG gear I could grab that'd improve my DPS, it's a bit difficult to bite the bullet on what may turn out to be very temporary gear on an Alt class.

Especially when the CT2 gear might be better than a lot of those pieces.

Besides, I think I can increase my DPS more, by working on my rotation a bit. At least, in the short term.

suzu

Get Provoke from GLD (Lv22) too.

Keep an eye on the enmity by checking the colored icons on the enemy list.

Sometimes I'll start an enmity combo and finish it on another mob if I have enough aggro on the current mob / dps target.

Silky

Banned
Wait, do FFXIV accounts delete themselves after a period of inactivity? I'm trying to check my info on the Lodestone thing but it says I have no character, but I go in the searchbar and see it's clearly there.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It sounds like you have the basics down. There are two big risks when tanking: losing aggro to the DPS, and losing aggro the healer.

You can lose aggro to the DPS if they are either attacking targets you are not, or you are not producing enough aggro on the main target of attack. The latter is very rare unless you are not using your main aggro-producing combo. The former is mostly fixed by either marking the targets, or adjusting your main target of attack to what the DPS are focusing on. The good news is that for the most part, DPS will generally struggle to produce anywhere near as much aggro as you unless they are much better geared than you.

The main reason you might lose aggro to the healer is if you are not keeping up aggro gain on the enemies that are not the main subject of attack. The best way to deal with this is mostly just periodic uses of Flash or Overpower. Using a couple flashes or hits of Overpower at the start of a fight, followed by one every four or five hits or so is generally sufficient. You need to make some adjustments based on how much healing is being done and whether or not your party is going nuts with AoEs, though.

The most critical step when tanking is the opening pull, though. Your first priority is to establish aggro on all engaged enemies. If their name is still orange, than the first healing spell cast will pull them straight off you and onto the healer. Pulling with a tomahawk is a good move, but make sure to hit all of the enemies with a follow-up Flash or Overpower.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to not be afraid of using your defensive cool-downs. They recover fast enough that you can use them fairly regularly, so don't feel like you need to save them. If you feel like you are beginning to take an unsafe amount of damage, use a cooldown such as Foresight immediately.

Thanks for the advice! I tried all that stuff on a Sastasha run just now, and mobs stuck to me pretty well. Only times I had issue with aggro was when dps just attacked whatever they wanted instead of following kill order. The run was annoying, though, because a monk and the healer were pulling me 5-10 mobs at a time. I could hold them just fine, but was popping cooldowns like mad, and was frequently MP and TP starved. Healer couldn't keep up with the sheer amount of damage coming in either. Causing me to die a few times. I think I see why some people get put off tanking, but I'll stick with it for now. =)

After getting bodied by so many twisters, I have finally completed The Binding Coil. Real glad I got to Limit Break that fucking dragon at the end. I won't be trying Second Coil anytime soon (sticking with crafting/gathering like I planned), but I must say I'm intrigued. Just seeing Bahamut's head....*clenches fist*

That just leaves me with one more task before I take a break from being a Monk: Titan EX
May God have mercy on my poor soul

Moaradin

After getting bodied by so many twisters, I have finally completed The Binding Coil. Real glad I got to Limit Break that fucking dragon at the end. I won't be trying Second Coil anytime soon (sticking with crafting/gathering like I planned), but I must say I'm intrigued. Just seeing Bahamut's head....*clenches fist*

That just leaves me with one more task before I take a break from being a Monk: Titan EX
May God have mercy on my poor soul

You already killed T5? Nice. Titan EX shouldn't be too much of a problem if you got Twin down.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait, do FFXIV accounts delete themselves after a period of inactivity? I'm trying to check my info on the Lodestone thing but it says I have no character, but I go in the searchbar and see it's clearly there.

No. You just can't view it.

SkyOdin

Are you currently unsubscribed? That would be your explanation. It isn't that you character has been deleted, they just lock you out of all of the Lodestone's features if you don't have an active subscription.

Thanks for the advice! I tried all that stuff on a Sastasha run just now, and mobs stuck to me pretty well. Only times I had issue with aggro was when dps just attacked whatever they wanted instead of following kill order. The run was annoying, though, because a monk and the healer were pulling me 5-10 mobs at a time. I could hold them just fine, but was popping cooldowns like mad, and was frequently MP and TP starved. Healer couldn't keep up with the sheer amount of damage coming in either. Causing me to die a few times. I think I see why some people get put off tanking, but I'll stick with it for now. =)

People other than the tank pulling mobs is simply bad news. It is my number one pet peeve as a tank. Thankfully it is rare, since it is something that simply should not be done since it is harder for the tank to do his job is other people, particularly the healer, grab aggro first. It sounds like you had an impatient and or inexperienced set of allies.

Under normal pacing, there is no need to grab more than three monsters at a time in most of the dungeons in the game. However, in end-game dungeons, speed running by grabbing large swarms of mobs at once is quite popular (not really my thing, though). However, it is a viable thing to do at endgame because a lot of classes gain a dramatic increase in AoE capability right at the end of their level progression. It is also dependent on a well-geared team and an experienced tank. In Sastasha, when only the Thaumaturge and (sort of) the Archer have AoE attacks, gathering large numbers of mobs doesn't really seem to make killing them go much faster. Not following the markings for kill order is also usually a sign of inexperience or impatience.

Thankfully, in my experience groups like that are rare. Hopefully your next dungeon experience as a tank goes better.

I love to use the LB but bosses have a way of making me pay for them after I use them...like Titan turning in my direction and using Landslide while I'm in animation cooldown after using it...meh

I love to use the LB but bosses have a way of making me pay for them after I use them...like Titan turning in my direction and using Landslide while I'm in animation cooldown after using it...meh

you think that's bad? Try having weight of the land appear right under you in the middle of casting Lb ;_;

And I learned a valuable lesson in CT tonight: When things gets rough, kick tanks from Alliance A lol

Mupod

crowd control is for sissies, overpower all the things. But generally 1 or 2 is plenty and you want to get your aggro combo up on the primary target asap. At low levels TP is precious so sneaking in those flashes can be a big help. Remember you need to level GLD for provoke at some point if you haven't already.

and yes I use every single warrior ability in every fight that's long enough to do so, so get used to having everything available. Paladin has way fewer abilities and some of their stuff is super-situational like Tempered Will and Cover. Warriors need a lot of keybinds, and when my Naga mouse died on me and I got a logitech G400s I really had to get creative.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When I was leveling THM/BLM, I was confused why the Tank and DPS kept breaking my Sleeps. Coming from a WoW background, it just felt bizarre. People used CC for even minor encounters just to be on the safe side, because wiping was really a chore in WoW.

Then I realized the content is so easy that CC usually isn't necessary.

However, once I switched to GLD/PLD, I made it a point not to interrupt Sleeps, although I dont call them out either. I appreciate player who knows how to use every tool at their disposal to make my life (and therefore the party's life) a bit easier.

Mesharey

Man, just done my first ever LB... certainly makes you feel pretty badass.
As a Paladin?

I might change from tank to DPS as a main, l'm PLD il 92, but being a tank is tough (in coils 5+ & primals ext.), a small mistake and the party is dead. -.-"

There's no DPS class that's interesting, except maybe Bard, currently working to become WHM, just need to lvl up ACN 4 more levels to 15.

Edit: BTW. Can I stack defensive skills? Activate 3 skills at the same time?

ReaperXL7

I found at low level it was much easier to hold group aggro with MRD/WAR then it is with GLD/PLD primarily because OverPower>Flash by a pretty wide margin. It's still somewhat present at high level/endgame content because again the Warrior skill Steel Cyclone is abit better then Circle of Scorn.

However I have had a much easier time tanking bosses on PLD then with War because it's easier to manage your damage PLD thanks to our numerous cooldowns.

So in my opinion the main differences between the two for me are better damage mitigation, and better single target tanking ability on PLD vs higher health pool and better group aggro generation for WAR. I currently have both to 50 but have put more work into PLD which is currently around ilvl 90.

I definitely think marking is much needed more often when playing PLD even at end game because people who are geared better then you can pull aggro easier if they are not careful.

I mark everything as WAR...which is excessive but it makes for a more relaxing run...for me. I get a ton of complaints from dps that I'm slow but they're just whiny.

ReaperXL7

I mark everything as WAR...which is excessive but it makes for a more relaxing run...for me. I get a ton of complaints from dps that I'm slow but they're just whiny.

it can get a little bit worse in end game. Pretty much whenever I run Halatali, or Brayflox HM people just want to speed through them. It’s not that hard to do if you have the right group make up, but gets a little more difficult with some combinations.

I find that with Brayflox I have had the best luck with Scholar running heals, and any combination of BLM,and/or BRD. I also recommend you mark as often as you can though regardless especially in PUGs because it will save you a lot of unnecessary grief.

Teknoman

Tomo's Operation HELP was a big success!

53ae509922c3925f009f59c7.jpg

There's no reason to mark anything as WAR. Just Overpower the shit out of everything and not give any fucks about what the DPS are attacking because it doesn't matter. At all.

aceface

Tomo's Operation HELP was a big success!

Yeah I had a great time. Lots of people getting stuff done. Damn Titan EX though...we got to the superbomb twice on the first run through and then later on I was just too tired. Maybe next Friday. Looking forward to it!

Tiops

Thanks for the tanking tips!

I think my problem right now is that I'm at the level range were I don't have the good tanking skills yet. I wasn't losing my aggro to the Healer, only to the DPSs. But apparently at level 26 I get the Rage of Halone skill that is great for generating enmity.

I don't remember the Carbuncle color that kept screwing me over, but I'm almost certain that it was orange.

I have a few words to say about the Saturday Night Fights, and I gather that Gizu and Felix are trying to run this thing now so I guess it's mainly for them.

(1) The event was originally envisioned as being by GAF and for GAF. Unfortunately people from other FCs are being allowed to participate and I don't think that goes with the spirit of what the event is supposed to be about. It should be GAF only, this isn't a server PvP event. It's also not an event for high ranked non-FC players to farm Gaffers.

(2) I've thought about the issue of "Team Leftovers" where people are grouped and the people left over are arbitrarily put together and sent to die against the other premades. This problem can be solved by removing 1 person from each team already made and placing each left over person into each team.

(3) It's impossible to balance all teams in any semblance of fairness, but we should just schedule it so team shuffle occurs every 30 minutes. Schedule it, call it out on the half hours and hours marks, and people need to just get used to stopping their queues on the top and bottom of every hour and switching up.

(4) The biggest imbalance occurs when a team with a high rank experienced healer faces a team with a low rank inexperienced healer. Other problems occur with broken OP jobs being combined, the worst of these are putting SCH + SMN together and BLM + WHM together. There's not a lot we can do about it except hope 2.3 and Frontline patch nerfs the shit out of the Arcanist jobs and Sleep but until then it is important that we get (3) working consistently so teams don't lose for 3 straight hours which had happened to some people during every event so far.

Anyways as Drama noted, I have washed my hands of managing this event because people didn't listen to anything I said during it. I hope Gizu and Felix have more luck than I did at herding the cats. People really need to cooperate with the hosts and managers, whoever they are, instead of always doing whatever the fuck they want, to make this event fun for everyone.

Indignate

So I'm figured out that the questlines converge after you choose a Guild around level 20. Does choosing a Guild at all matter if you want to party with friends? Do the Guilds have their own quest that would make it so that it would be better if me and my friends choose the same one?

WolvenOne

So I'm figured out that the questlines converge after you choose a Guild around level 20. Does choosing a Guild at all matter if you want to party with friends? Do the Guilds have their own quest that would make it so that it would be better if me and my friends choose the same one?

Doesn't really matter until the end game, and even then, not unless you're regularly participating in certain activities. Mostly, each GC has thier own store, and products you can buy via a currency called Seals.

Otherwise, it only affects PVP and hunts, though we're not certain how much yet.

You can always change later if it ends up making a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom