• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_chris

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who came tonight. It was my first time organizing the event and I have learned a great deal of changes to make for next time. I would appreciate feedback and I will announce change implementations mid next week.

Some things I am mulling around are modifications on the accessory requirement. For tonight, we went with no accessories including belts to make things more balanced. From what I saw, this did not overall impact the length of the fights, but some of the new / lower ranked healers were getting schooled because of it. I was thinking we might implement an accessory allowance based on rank / prior skill with the healer job.

Another was the reshuffles. While they were pretty fast, I feel I can do them much faster, as well as the initial team distribution at the beginning. To combat this, we can create a shared google spreadsheet with specific cells marked to be editable. Or I could create a list of people interested in doing this, and confirm one by one on whether they are available for pvp. This one is kind of difficult for me to figure out so feedback would be appreciated.

On another note, I would like to place a rule that any bickering / complaining either be directed in a mog mail / private message to me / felix or kept to yourself. I know complaints come up during these things but it only damages the event to bring them up in the gaf pvp linkshell / fighting linkshell. It is especially damaging when brought up in the normal gaf fc chat or shouts / say channel. I promise you I will address any issues you have but please keep them in a private channel directed towards me / felix.

I was hearing things about people putting on accessories as well or changing equipment. I trust that within your teams you will keep an eye on this, but to prevent things like this from happening I will choose a different location from the FC house (one where it will be easy to tell where people are) and make it mandatory that people remain in said area during the event.

Next event will be next Saturday same time and Felix will be leading it from the ground floor with backup from Natasha. I will be doing mission control from wherever in the states I end up (hopefully not the streets *wink*) and will take over again the following Saturday.

Any feedback as always is appreciated but please keep it constructive.

I like that PVP is becoming more organized like this. Bravo to you guys. =)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn longest I've been away from FFXIV, 2 weeks and counting

Destiny Alpha really ripped me away from it and the Beta on the horizon is really gonna murder me

Haven't done any Soldiery cap for the weeks I missed, before I was rush to cap, now really I just don't give a fuck
Feels good to leave for a few weeks and just relax and do other stuff

I'll see how 2.3 is, I'm not holding my breath on it reviving my interest
Destiny most likely will fill that hole

supergiz

Damn longest I've been away from FFXIV, 2 weeks and counting

Destiny Alpha really ripped me away from it and the Beta on the horizon is really gonna murder me

Haven't done any Soldiery cap for the weeks I missed, before I was rush to cap, now really I just don't give a fuck
Feels good to leave for a few weeks and just relax and do other stuff

I'll see how 2.3 is, I'm not holding my breath on it reviving my interest
Destiny most likely will fill that hole

well enjoy destiny then

Wazzy

Banned
Just had a funny experience with Ifrit(duty roulette). Couple new people to the fight so I quickly explained we needed to destroy the crystal the moment it pops up. It appeared and I was the only one attacking so I quickly told everyone else to start but only the tank responded so we ended up wiping.

Second try we got it after I did another quick explanation that everyone needs to respond when crystal is up. But then our healer died at 80% so all three of us had to quickly try and kill Ifrit which we did.

Got two player commendations from it which was pretty cool. :D

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who came tonight. It was my first time organizing the event and I have learned a great deal of changes to make for next time. I would appreciate feedback and I will announce change implementations mid next week.

Some things I am mulling around are modifications on the accessory requirement. For tonight, we went with no accessories including belts to make things more balanced. From what I saw, this did not overall impact the length of the fights, but some of the new / lower ranked healers were getting schooled because of it. I was thinking we might implement an accessory allowance based on rank / prior skill with the healer job.

Another was the reshuffles. While they were pretty fast, I feel I can do them much faster, as well as the initial team distribution at the beginning. To combat this, we can create a shared google spreadsheet with specific cells marked to be editable. Or I could create a list of people interested in doing this, and confirm one by one on whether they are available for pvp. This one is kind of difficult for me to figure out so feedback would be appreciated.

On another note, I would like to place a rule that any bickering / complaining either be directed in a mog mail / private message to me / felix or kept to yourself. I know complaints come up during these things but it only damages the event to bring them up in the gaf pvp linkshell / fighting linkshell. It is especially damaging when brought up in the normal gaf fc chat or shouts / say channel. I promise you I will address any issues you have but please keep them in a private channel directed towards me / felix.

I was hearing things about people putting on accessories as well or changing equipment. I trust that within your teams you will keep an eye on this, but to prevent things like this from happening I will choose a different location from the FC house (one where it will be easy to tell where people are) and make it mandatory that people remain in said area during the event.

Next event will be next Saturday same time and Felix will be leading it from the ground floor with backup from Natasha. I will be doing mission control from wherever in the states I end up (hopefully not the streets *wink*) and will take over again the following Saturday.

Any feedback as always is appreciated but please keep it constructive.

I just want to say thanks for taking over managing the event Gizu, Felix, and Natasha. You are all a lot more patient than I could ever be. But it's like I originally said when I first came up with this event, I'm bad at organizing things and I'm glad it's in less unreliable hands now.

Since Gizu didn't mention it, I'll not fail to mention that Saturday Night Fights is every Saturday at 3 PM Pacific/6 PM Eastern.

Beats

I just got back into the game after not playing for a while (I didn't get very far and I don't remember much). I'm only level 22 at the moment. Should I just be doing dungeons/the main story to level up or would battlecraft levequests be good as well? Also, would I be better off saving my levequest allowances for crafting/gathering quests?

Ken

both dungeon and leves got pretty nice exp buffs so you could queue up for dungeon while doing leves.

idunno about saving leves since crafting is for jerks

Ken

It depends on the class you're playing.

IIRC, If you're DPS physical choose Twin Adder, Tanking is Maelstorm and Immortal flames is Mages

ehh, it's really not a big deal esp when the gear that matters isn't tied to GCs. at this point you'd probably make a better decision based on what hunts armor design you want from which GC. (although chances are i'm gonna guess each GC will just share palette-swapped designs lol)

http://imgur.com/a/XCW6D

IIRC, If you're DPS physical choose Twin Adder, Tanking is Maelstorm and Immortal flames is Mages

Wait, what? Why? I just joined the Twin Adders and I'm a CNJ. Haven't done on related to the GC yet, though (I think).

I started playing last week. Some people said that the community can be awful to you if you're a new player but everyone I met so far is actually really nice!

Wazzy

Banned
Wait, what? Why? I just joined the Twin Adders and I'm a CNJ. Haven't done on related to the GC yet, though (I think).

I started playing last week. Some people said that the community can be awful to you if you're a new player but everyone I met so far is actually really nice!

Other poster said it's not really a big deal about which you join anyway.

Community has been good to me so far too! Could be a good server.

Beats

both dungeon and leves got pretty nice exp buffs so you could queue up for dungeon while doing leves.

idunno about saving leves since crafting is for jerks

Hmm, alright I'll try that!

Yeah, I can't say I enjoy crafting very much. > . <

got my relic today finally. my ilvl is now up to either 69. At this point should i spend my myth on the upgrade thing to get my relic to zenith, or should i continue saving up to buy my Myth gear? right now im still pretty much in full AF, though i did get some CT gear.

What about GAF FC's grand company. I noticed it's Maelstrom. Is that going to affect me in anyway if I go one of the other two?

Apparently that new Frontlines zone is going to be faction based, won't that mean I'll be separated from everyone else if I go with something different?

Also another question for the GLA/PLD players.

Is Fast Blade > Savage Blade better for increasing enmity or just Savage Blade? I can't tell if there's a difference in the enmity gain (just looking at my party's enmity bars).

Jayhawk

Thank you to everyone that helped and participated in tonight's PVP event. I will be busy next Saturday and I will be unable to help out with next week's event.

One suggestion to make the event run smoother is to have volunteers picked before the event starts, where the volunteers are people the main organizer can trust to do the following:
  • form the parties with the people they're assigned
  • calculate the average rank of their party and keep the rank updated when party members are changed
  • stop queuing for matches when main organizer calls for group shuffling
  • ensure nobody is cheating with the gear restrictions
  • actively communicate with the main organizer so he/she is aware of any issues such as people leaving or your team winning/losing all your matches without much competition

SkyOdin

Also another question for the GLA/PLD players.

Is Fast Blade > Savage Blade better for increasing enmity or just Savage Blade? I can't tell if there's a difference in the enmity gain (just looking at my party's enmity bars).

You always want to combo Fast Blade -> Savage Blade. It does far more damage than Savage Blade alone, and damage contributes to aggro.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When an ability says "Increases Enmity", and deals damage, the Enmity generated by the damage is multiplied by a hidden multiplier. Threefold, in the case of Savage Blade. Considering Fast Blade doubles Savage Blade's potency, you generate 150 (Fast Blade) + 600 (Savage Blade) Enmity, and this is just a simplification because I'm too lazy to apply the proper attack/potency formula.

So yeah, it's not even a contest, since you're getting the equivalent of 2 Savage Blades when you combo it.

On another note, does anyone have any experience of the European servers? Particularly Odin. I'm getting a bit tired of never having anyone to talk to/play with on Ultros because of the time difference. I come in from work and the FC is dead, same on weekends. It doesn't pick up until late night when America wakes up and it suddenly becomes incredibly active... Right as I'm getting too tired to play! I'll be sad to leave GAF and my awesome static, but even they run a bit later than I'm comfortable with on week nights. Either way I'll be staying until after the patch hits to see how things shape up, but to be honest it's the time zone difference that kills it, rather than overall population.

what you wanna know? it's a popular server. since regions aren't closed off, you'll find people from everywhere playing there.

MogCakes

Ran Ampador for the first time as a tank with two of my friends, was more or less relearning the dungeon since I hadn't done it in months. The random DPS that joined got pissed that I didn't know how to speedrun it and started insulting me, to which our DRG told him to leave or shut up, and he did, though not before leaving a parting insult telling us to learn to play the game (by watching videos apparently).

Endgame life is so glamorous.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Ran Ampador for the first time as a tank with two of my friends, was more or less relearning the dungeon since I hadn't done it in months. The random DPS that joined got pissed that I didn't know how to speedrun it and started insulting me, to which our DRG told him to leave or shut up, and he did, though not before leaving a parting insult telling us to learn to play the game (by watching videos apparently).

Report him x3 per harassment.

World will be better without this guys.

Claymore

Yeah idk what it is, but when lvling to 50, everyone is very nice in the dungeons and there is room for some smalltalk. But in the endgame dungeons everyone is so hasty and sometimes rude. Why the big difference?

WolvenOne

Uh, you can't even properly speedrun AK anymore, since certain doors and such won't open until you kill certain mobs. The best you can do is large pulls, which isn't practical for every party out there.

Besides, it's AK. He should just be thankful for some easy Tomes. Ya want speed, try WP or Brayflox.

supergiz

KbxfqwT.jpg

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Did some more lowbie dungeons tonight to get a handle on the basics for MRD / WAR tanking, and it's slowly coming together. Some of the larger group pulls are still a bit sloppy when the mobs are spread out, though that could be in part due to trigger happy dps attacking stuff before it gets into range of overpower or flash. It's starting to get a little easier to manage TP and MP as well, as I think I was going over board on stuff like overpower to maintain aggro. Now I just switch targets a bit if it looks like something is going to bolt, then smack it around a bit, switching back to the primary target after.

I'm also trying to figure out the pace that I want to go at. I tend to just head to the next pack as soon as the previous one is down without worrying too much about TP. Usually I'll open a chest or there'll be some door that need opening or some such that can buy me some time to restore TP if it is running a little low. Not sure what others expect for pacing, but I do enjoy going at a brisk pace. May do a few dungeons as a healer so that I can observe other tanks and get a better idea of how fast folks are going, as I've never bothered to pay much attention to that sort of thing before.

Probably also going to try running some dungeons as GLD / PAL for the next few days just to compare and contrast the two tanking classes. I want to spend time with both to figure out which job I like best.

So far, it's been enjoyable tanking low level dungeons. I guess the real challenge will come once I get to Haukke and beyond where trash and bosses get trickier.

WolvenOne

Yeah idk what it is, but when lvling to 50, everyone is very nice in the dungeons and there is room for some smalltalk. But in the endgame dungeons everyone is so hasty and sometimes rude. Why the big difference?

Speedrunning isn't really possible while you're leveling up. Every encounter takes a long time to clear, and usually requires some time afterward to replenish resources. This forces an atmosphere that's a lot more conducive to smalltalk than in the endgame.

That being said, while I'm not super talkative in every run, I try to be encouraging and pleasant, and always tell people good job when they've done something well.

WolvenOne

Running dungeons fast while properly managing your TP is, "TEH ULTIMATE CHALLENGE!" for Warriors, outside of Raids or whatnot anyway.

This is actually why things like Kill Order are incredibly important, and breaking kill order is one of the few things that can really get on my nerves (particularly when a DPS ignores my plea to follow a kill order.)

The reason for this is quite simple.

AoE enmity moves are generally not very resource friendly. People joke that as a WAR all you have to do is spam overpower, but if you do you'll have to wait after every encounter for TP to refill. However, if you number the mobs and create a kill order, you no longer need to spam Flash or Overpower. You use these moves once or twice during the start of an encounter, single target the first mob for a rotation or two, then use Overpower or flash to keep enmity up on the other targets.

If a DPS burns hard on an enemy without sticking to the kill order however, you'll see them peeling off enemies during the middle of a rotation. At worst this wastes time, as you need to stop burning the mob you've been concentrating on to kill another mob that'll usually have more HP. Worst case, if the DPS continues burning hard and you can't quickly get enmity back, it can kill said DPS.

Either way it slows down your dungeon run, not only because of the complications, but because splitting your DPS is very inefficient.

Also, healers can usually help with the DPS a bit more easily once one or two mobs go down. So, yeah, sticking to the kill order really does speed up the dungeon, and makes WAR life a heck of a lot easier.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
well you see, when even the officiers or whatever its called multiple times tell you its not livejournal or a twitter feed its gets trickier.

im just over it, im not leaving, just gonna stay in silence to avoid issues. im not gonna name names and i dont dislike anyone, but i know theres been shittalk about me.

Dude you're not going to stop talking now that I got into the game. I talk just as much so fuck that noise. Chat is for chatting.

Gotta go fast
Gotta get that Novus before the next patch.

Don't let it bug you. I honestly stopped doing my aoe rotation in dungeons when the tank speed runs everything, regardless of common sense.

Sioen

well you see, when even the officiers or whatever its called multiple times tell you its not livejournal or a twitter feed its gets trickier.

im just over it, im not leaving, just gonna stay in silence to avoid issues. im not gonna name names and i dont dislike anyone, but i know theres been shittalk about me.
Nooo I like your activity while doing dr, always makes for fun reading :'g

BadRNG

For those who use meteor in Titan ex where do you place them? You place them off to the side so the blinding effect isn't dead center right?
The trick to using meteor on Titan EX is to not use meteor on Titan EX. Hope this helps.

Don't let it bug you. I honestly stopped doing my aoe rotation in dungeons when the tank speed runs everything, regardless of common sense.
Yeah, let's slow down the run for everyone out of spite. I always inspect the group at start and pull based on what I think the group should be able to reasonably handle. At this point speed run is the default expectation in DF, and it should be, 99% of people are there wanting to finish as soon as possible.

orion434

09/20 HQ Silver Soverign fish so far, averaging 1 every Eorzean night. I even made a special 5-piece set of ilv 70 Rose Gold accessories to give me +9 Gathering & +9 Perception over the standard Gathering Jewlery... since Fisher doesn't require GP.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, let's slow down the run for everyone out of spite. I always inspect the group at start and pull based on what I think the group should be able to reasonably handle. At this point speed run is the default expectation in DF, and it should be, 99% of people are there wanting to finish as soon as possible.

No one should ever "expect" a SR in a DF. You hope for it. It's completely random.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't you just like, establish whether or not people want to speed run?

I was tanking Toto once and doing it normally, when my BLM suggested we speed run it. Having never seen it done before, I asked how it worked, he explained, and after checking with the healer, we went ahead pulling 6-7 mobs at a time.

At one point I was too overzealous and LoS'd the healer, nearly wiping the party, but everyone was cool with it.

What so hard about using /p?

BadRNG

No one should ever "expect" a SR in a DF. You hope for it. It's completely random.
No one should ever expect much of anything when it comes to randoms, but whether or not people should expect it doesn't change the fact that people do, which reinforces the belief they should. (Does that make sense?) Or at the very least if not a real speed run (most DF groups don't have the skill/gear to do a true speed run to begin with) they expect you to go as fast as reasonably possible. It's the norm at this point, why wouldn't you expect it.

Nothing? Although half the time people don't respond to you and you stand there waiting for an answer that never comes. Like I said though, at this point is has come the norm, the default expectation. If you don't want to speed the run up (I can't imagine a good reason for this), you can say so yourself.

I guess a good analogue to this for LLDR - as I'm talking mainly 50 stuff - is the fact most groups skip optional mobs/chests in mid-level dungeons. You can always ask to do them for exp/loot but most groups will assume people are there for the DR bonus and take the path of least resistance.

Teknoman

Can't you just like, establish whether or not people want to speed run?

I was tanking Toto once and doing it normally, when my BLM suggested we speed run it. Having never seen it done before, I asked how it worked, he explained, and after checking with the healer, we went ahead pulling 6-7 mobs at a time.

At one point I was too overzealous and LoS'd the healer, nearly wiping the party, but everyone was cool with it.

Thats the 100% best way. Just ask at the start: "Speed run?" or something similar. Never just assume anything when you're getting together with random people in an instance.

Just had a funny experience with Ifrit(duty roulette). Couple new people to the fight so I quickly explained we needed to destroy the crystal the moment it pops up. It appeared and I was the only one attacking so I quickly told everyone else to start but only the tank responded so we ended up wiping.

Second try we got it after I did another quick explanation that everyone needs to respond when crystal is up. But then our healer died at 80% so all three of us had to quickly try and kill Ifrit which we did.

Got two player commendations from it which was pretty cool. :D

These are the kinds of stories I like to hear.

On the subject of Destiny, since Sega wants to be lame and not release PSO2 here, Destiny will be my replacement (early on I was going to rotate between PSO2 and XIV the way we did in the past with FFXI and PSO Blue Burst).

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Ugh. I was planning on kinda putting XIV to the wayside for awhile when the new wow expansion releases, but I'm not sure I'm gonna do that anymore. Hell I might even call and have them refund my digital preorder. They're just pulling some really stupid design decisions and then admitting they straight up lied to everyone at blizzcon.

Say what you will about XIV, Yoshi-P and crew seem to do a decent job at listening to and being honest with the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom