• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Ugh. I was planning on kinda putting XIV to the wayside for awhile when the new wow expansion releases, but I'm not sure I'm gonna do that anymore. Hell I might even call and have them refund my digital preorder. They're just pulling some really stupid design decisions and then admitting they straight up lied to everyone at blizzcon.

Say what you will about XIV, Yoshi-P and crew seem to do a decent job at listening to and being honest with the community.

Yeah its a huge change from FFXI, but then again maybe that side was just more transparent to the Japanese side.

Just came back to the game a bit ago, but it seems like there's not too many I know left on Excalibur. Trying to debate what would be a decent server to transfer to, and not too sure if I can do Ultros or not. So I was thinking that Sargatanas might be a decent place to move to myself, and it'd be nice to actually play with people for a change. Is the FC/LS still pretty active and such?

LowParry

I think I'm going to need to lvl my whm to 50 for whatever reasoning. I suppose having two healing options is not a bad thing. Though I'm sticking my blm for dps.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
lol i knew it was impossible, i held out for only 3 hrs which felt like days and it was the most boring the game ever was for me, guess ill keep yapping :p

also Dramatis: Ill be the first to die and get all the loot. best class

Man, I cannot believe it. I just wiped four times to the first boss in Cutter's Cry - the ant princess which summons adds. My entire time on this game the strategy for that fight has been for the healer to kite the adds, but he and another member said they had never seen or heard of anyone doing this, but tried anyway.

They failed to do it, twice in a row. They kept stopping to try and heal me instead of just running away, and then getting zerged. They then said that killing the adds was actually quite easy, which I took their word for as I had never done it that way. We failed at that too. Twice.

The healer was confused at how he was supposed to kite and heal at the same time, so I told him he wasn't, and just to stoneskin me before the adds appeared and I should be fine for DPS to zerg boss, and hallelujah, it went okay. I can't believe they hadn't seen it kited before!

I couldn't even be angry as well because
1) They were nice guys
2) I'm a nice guy, not your typical "omg no time 4 this shet" elitist that plagues MMOs

Oh well, got there in the end.

Isaccard

Damn longest I've been away from FFXIV, 2 weeks and counting

Destiny Alpha really ripped me away from it and the Beta on the horizon is really gonna murder me

Haven't done any Soldiery cap for the weeks I missed, before I was rush to cap, now really I just don't give a fuck
Feels good to leave for a few weeks and just relax and do other stuff

I'll see how 2.3 is, I'm not holding my breath on it reviving my interest
Destiny most likely will fill that hole

Can I have your gil

Just had the funniest / weirdest / longest Garuda HM ever. The DPS must have been pretty undergeared because it went on a really long time, and I'm surprised we won. Garuda managed to take us round the entire map and have us in the middle in the calm of the storm... twice.

When the tornadoes started at first, the tank got confused and went NE instead of NW, two or three folk followed him and the rest went NW as normal, so we were literally split in half. I grabbed the add on my side, used Hallowed Ground to walk through the tornadoes unharmed and grabbed the add at their side, and it actually went surprisingly smoothly.

The folk left on the other side just used ranged attacks but we managed to kill the adds quick enough. Tank got confused again at the next set of tornadoes and it turned into a big clusterfuck, but still man, we won in the end and it was really fun to do something apart from the norm'.

Tabris

I'm a nice guy, not your typical "omg no time 4 this shet" elitist that plagues MMOs

I gotta admit, I'm starting to become / have become this pretty hardcore.

I'm trying to reduce my playtime while still getting everything done (daily map quest, crafting classes, myth for maps, raid times, etc). I'm finding since I've done these dungeons a hundred times over, I just don't want to have 25+ minute runs of them anymore (I'm tired of them), so I'll leave a dungeon after examining people if they are under geared or the healer isn't DPS'ing. Go do something else for 30 minutes (out of game or in game), and then come back and try again.

And yes, I know, it's a total asshole move. I think I would change my tune if the duty roulette was people from my server, but since I'll never meet them again because they are on some other server, it reduces my want to do the 30 min dungeon for them (when I can just requeue and do the dungeon in 15-20).

What has helped this though is the party based duty roulette. I will often do the EXDR with LS or FC mates, and then if it does take a bit longer, I don't mind.

WolvenOne

I'm trying to reduce my playtime while still getting everything done (daily map quest, crafting classes, myth for maps, raid times, etc). I'm finding since I've done these dungeons a hundred times over, I just don't want to have 25+ minute runs of them anymore (I'm tired of them), so I'll leave a dungeon after examining people if they are under geared or the healer isn't DPS'ing. Go do something else for 30 minutes (out of game or in game), and then come back and try again.

And yes, I know, it's a total asshole move. I think I would change my tune if the duty roulette was people from my server, but since I'll never meet them again because they are on some other server, it reduces my want to do the 30 min dungeon for them (when I can just requeue and do the dungeon in 15-20).

What has helped this though is the party based duty roulette. I will often do the EXDR with LS or FC mates, and then if it does take a bit longer, I don't mind.

Yeeeah, that sort of thing is definitely outside of my nature. I can understand the impulse, but, I just couldn't bring myself to ruin somebody elses day like that. <_<;;

Tabris

Yeah, I know it sucks and is a dick move by me, but I just don't want to spend so much time in game getting these dailies done. I wish the game had a matching system where it would match similar equipment levels together for roulettes. I know that isn't the point of the roulettes though as they are intended to be a ground where new players can get help from old players.

I don't know what the ideal solution is. Maybe SE should stop making daily grind content for old players linked to content for new players? It's hard though, what else do they link the daily grind to? As there isn't that much content yet and still need to go through an expansion or 2 to get enough content.

iammeiam

The weird thing about queueing and bailing is that the daily roulette bonuses for Low Level/Trials/Story Roulette aren't that good or special. I think EX is the only one tied to a unique daily thing, in alex maps, isn't it?

So if you're at the point of wanting to speedrun and treat things as essentially a monotonous job (because the run MUST go in the most faceroll method possible for ultimate speed), why not just group up with whoever you'd want to run LLDR with and spam Bray a few times? Yes, it's boring as fuck, but since speed is taking priority over everything else (I kind of like my LLDR to have at least one undergeared person--it makes things slightly less predictable than steamrolling), rerunning Bray is probably the best myth/time ratio.

I'd also 'fix' the problem by making the penalty harsher for ditching in the first 30 minutes, and have it stack if you do it repeatedly. Leave in the first 30 minutes, get banned for an hour. Do it two days in a row, get blocked for two hours. Yeah, it'd discourage people from queueing if all they want is a quick and easy clear, but since Story/LL/Trial DR exist to help newbies, discouraging the people who don't want to play with them from queueing isn't the worst thing.

But then again I don't really approach the game as a job and don't do half my dailies 'cause I don't feel like it. So I'm weird.

Mairu

Yeah, I know it sucks and is a dick move by me, but I just don't want to spend so much time in game getting these dailies done. I wish the game had a matching system where it would match similar equipment levels together for roulettes. I know that isn't the point of the roulettes though as they are intended to be a ground where new players can get help from old players.

I don't know what the ideal solution is. Maybe SE should stop making daily grind content for old players linked to content for new players? It's hard though, what else do they link the daily grind to? As there isn't that much content yet and still need to go through an expansion or 2 to get enough content.

I mean, there's a reason they finally let you do some of the dailies in a group. It's a social game - find people with similar play styles and do the roulettes (at least high level and expert) with them.

Tabris

can't you go into roulettes as premade now?

Yeah, and as I mentioned above, I often do it in pre-mades. But sometimes you get days where you haven't logged in for a while and everyone's already done them, or you want to get them done in the morning when not many people are logged in.

So if you're at the point of wanting to speedrun and treat things as essentially a monotonous job (because the run MUST go in the most faceroll method possible for ultimate speed)

I'm at the point where the existing dungeons are just boring. I would prefer not to do them at all. I need to do them for things like alexandrite to gear up for things I do find fun. It is like a job and I'm just doing them to get paid so I can spend it on the things I want to do. It's bad design in my opinion by SE, specifically having to re-run the same content too much.

With his attitude/rep Who would go with him

Ari you're just as bad with your elitism. I'm just honest about it.

I'm so close to abandoning my bard relic quest just so I can start my Summoner relic quest and just not fuck with titan ex no more. Why are so many people so fucking bad in that fight?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
so, im thinking how to solve annoying the FC, maybe i should make a linkshell where i can invite people i dont annoy to talk and just hide the fc chat, i _know_ i annoy some people, which i dont want to.

its either that or maybe i should join another smaller fc that likes to talk more, my enjoyment comes out of sharing my stuff that happens, i cant play a game like its singleplayer only.

sorry to whoever i annoyed/offended.

You probably solved my problem. I hate my name that I used and I wish I could change it. What makes it worse is everyone saying it. I thought I'd change it and make it something unique, it's unique, but it bugs the hell out of me. It reminds me of that Pokemon professor.

iammeiam

I'm so close to abandoning my bard relic quest just so I can start my Summoner relic quest and just not fuck with titan ex no more. Why are so many people so fucking bad in that fight?

Because it's hard.

And Titan EX has nothing to do with relic? HM, yes, EX, no.

Edit: I just realized you may be going for primal focus weap. Seems there'd be easier ways, tho, than Titan ex.

SkyOdin

If you are at the point where you don't enjoy the content and just want to plow through it as quickly as possible, maybe you are at the point where you just need a break from the game, or to just take a break from the tomestone grind. All of this stuff will become easier to do in subsequent patches anyways, so if you are not having fun, you might be better off playing games that you find more fun for a little while.

I run into the problem of getting burnt out on the tomestone grind all the time, so I have taken some long breaks between subscription months. Every time I've done so, it's let me come back and enjoy the game more. No need to chain yourself to a game that you are finding tedious.

Tabris

If you are at the point where you don't enjoy the content and just want to plow through it as quickly as possible, maybe you are at the point where you just need a break from the game, or to just take a break from the tomestone grind. All of this stuff will become easier to do in subsequent patches anyways, so if you are not having fun, you might be better off playing games that you find more fun for a little while.

I run into the problem of getting burnt out on the tomestone grind all the time, so I have taken some long breaks between subscription months. Every time I've done so, it's let me come back and enjoy the game more. No need to chain yourself to a game that you are finding tedious.

I would normally agree but I'm finding everything else in the game really fun. I'm just tired of the dungeon grind, but SE has made it so the dungeon grind is required to get the next relic.

Kenai

Roulette's are built like they are specifically so that more geared and experienced people can help lowbies who often don't know what they are doing, and also so they don't remain stuck on it if there's no one their level around that they know. This design was very much intentional, and most dungeons are faceroll enough so that you'll be done before that 30 min timer would have been up anyway. The only thing would be to offer DF rewards for queueing as a group which I think they already did last patch? The nswer is to get a group via FC or LS or PF or Fl or whatever and use DF solo as a last resort.

That being said, I totally abandoned a WP group last night, I could deal with having more HP than everyone else and I'm normally fairly patient to new people cause we were all there and will be again as long as new MMOs come out, but I was upset when everyone but me went to the left side and DPSed along with the treasure hunters before trying to attack the big tonberry for a solid few min and i had to pull crazy Eos aggro shenanigans to reset it. I just didn't have the desire to explain literally everything while simultaneously trying to heal them through those stabs for an hour.

maybe you should stop using meteor

Seriously dude is that necessary? I only use when someone ask me to. In all of my clears I never used it.

Because it's hard.

And Titan EX has nothing to do with relic? HM, yes, EX, no.

Edit: I just realized you may be going for primal focus weap. Seems there'd be easier ways, tho, than Titan ex.

I though I could just get a quick primal focus clear but guess not lol

klee123

Beat Titan EX for the first time tonight via DF and then I did Ifrit EX straight after.

The group I was with beat it on our 3rd try.

All I have to say is that coming from Titan EX, Ifrit seems like a bit of a whimper when it comes to the ex primals of the original 3.

Now I'm off to learning Leviathan EX!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Beat Titan EX for the first time tonight via DF and then I did Ifrit EX straight after.

The group I was with beat it on our 3rd try.

All I have to say is that coming from Titan EX, Ifrit seems like a bit of a whimper when it comes to the ex final primal of the original 3.

Now I'm off to learning Leviathan EX!

Even Levi is easier than Titan. Titan EX is a weird difficulty bump in the middle.

klee123

Good riddance. They aren't fun anymore.

Of the 3, I honestly think Garuda EX was the best designed fight.

Titan EX was basically rote learning, but the catch is that all 7-8 players must know the fight off by heart with a decent internet connection. There is practically no room for recovery if a Tank or a Healer dies or gets knock off by landslide.

Ifrit EX had potential, but in the end, 80% of the fight was pretty much the same.

I'm just glad to have done the original 3 ex primals before they become barren wastelands lol.

Speaking of which, what ex primal weapon should I go for? I'm leveling up MNK, WAR and SCH to 50 at the moment. Now that the relic quest line is going to take an eternity to do for just one class, I'm not too keen on getting the relics for my sub classes now.

With a bad team, anything is hard...

Wiped four times to the first boss of Copperbell Mines Hard. Y'know, the one with the bomb that must be killed. They couldn't figure that out, despite me telling them.

Then wiped three times on the last boss because they couldn't give the worm food properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom