• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
DP03vCf.gif

What is the best way to get tomes? They seem a tad stingy with them.

And the requirements for those crafter books are insane...do you have to be overmelded to hell and back to do those new recipes? I guess I should get back to gathering and crafting...it will take awhile to get geared up again, might as well not burn myself out.

Kenai

Done Gilgamesh fight.

Uhm, not sure how I feel about it. I mean, it was fun at first, but once you get past the FFV references and the nostalgia all I could think was "that's it?". The fight should have been similar to Ultima HM, this a mmropg, not KH.

None of the "NQ" fights are "hard" and that's what this is. Casual content for the end of this storyline, having this fight be a roadblock to casuals when this quest is effectively episodic content with a new chapter coming next oatch would be a terrible idea.

Besides, it gives more than enough reason for the HM and maybe even EX versions. it's clear he will be back considering how he left.

Aeana

When I eventually start these up, I will only do it for like an hour a day. You don't beat RNG, it beats you. I will just wait until the initial rush dies down.

I'm not complaining that I only got 4. It doesn't bother me that much, I'm used to much worse grinds. I just think it's funny how dramatically different it has been for each person.

They will inevitably nerf the drop rate in 2.25 or for sure in 2.3.

Taruranto

What is the best way to get tomes? They seem a tad stingy with them.

And the requirements for those crafter books are insane...do you have to be overmelded to hell and back to do those new recipes? I guess I should get back to gathering and crafting...it will take awhile to get geared up again, might as well not burn myself out.

It's not hard as you think, I capped Soldiers today by running the new dungeons + T4 farm.

With DL Rulette + Dailies + Coil it should be pretty easy.

Sorian

Banned
This kind of grind is inevitable in MMOs, it seems. I was surprised that FF14 didn't really have it until now.

Nah, this is kind of an extreme grind, especially for your main weapon, I'd understand a big grind like this for cool vanity stuff but your main source of damage, a tad much for a mainstream MMO.

Edit: Unless there is some other bridge from ilvl 90 weapon to T9 weapon that I dont know of.

Ken

Nah, this is kind of an extreme grind, especially for your main weapon, I'd understand a big grind like this for cool vanity stuff but your main source of damage, a tad much for a mainstream MMO.

Edit: Unless there is some other bridge from ilvl 90 weapon to T9 weapon that I dont know of.

Leviathan and Tome weapon?

Sorian

Banned
Leviathan and Tome weapon?

Isn't the tome weapon needing those sands that probably drop from coil 2? That doesn't really work too well as a bridge into coil 2. Leviathan is a good call, didn't think about his drops (didn't even know it was weapons). Regardless, it's kind of poopy that the grind is so big and RNG heavy for this weapon that will probably be following us until at least the first big expansion. Not a wrong decision but not too player friendly.

Aeana

It is not an extreme grind if people finished the first part in the first day, and many got over halfway done. In FF11, certain weapon upgrades took people years.

Sorian

Banned
It is not an extreme grind if people finished the first part in the first day, and many got over halfway done. In FF11, certain weapon upgrades took people years.

FF11 is a terrible game to compare to and we both know it. As for finishing up the first part in the first day sure, people sat down and put in close to 10 hours (safe average) for it. For this kind of thing, I feel like I could say extreme.

Aeana

FF11 is a terrible game to compare to and we both know it. As for finishing up the first part in the first day sure, people sat down and put in close to 10 hours (safe average) for it. For this kind of thing, I feel like I could say extreme.

10 hours to do something in an MMO isn't extreme, though. You don't have to do it for 10 straight hours. And this is completely soloable! MMOs have timesinks, that's the nature of the genre. FF14 hasn't had any of substantial import so far, and these are pretty tame by MMO standards too. The tank mount one is much more 'extreme' considering it only works with 8-man dungeons and only the highest level ones.

It is quite a big grind but that first relic was disgustingly easy. Before 2.2 we often did relic trains and it was hilarious how fast we ran through them. I figure AK and the 24 enemies took up most of that time.

Sorian

Banned
10 hours to do something in an MMO isn't extreme, though. You don't have to do it for 10 straight hours. And this is completely soloable! MMOs have timesinks, that's the nature of the genre. FF14 hasn't had any of substantial import so far, and these are pretty tame by MMO standards too. The tank mount one is much more 'extreme' considering it only works with 8-man dungeons and only the highest level ones.

You have to remember, we are only discussing part 1 here......

Edit: And I know a lot like to pretend that it doesn't exist but FFXIV has a pretty extensive reputation system that is a time sink.

Sorian

Banned
Also, I am still baffled that the tank mounts couldn't at least be made retroactive. I understand they wanted to incentivize tanking but they really did it by punishing those who have ben tanking since launch.

Actually part of the reason why I started playing again today was after hearing about the Atma system. I really felt like there was nothing to do in 2.0/2.1 endgame, not even anything grindy. Coil was really dull once you got up to T5... same emotionally draining 3--4 hours every day., every week. Meh.

At least now the content on the game seems to be very much spread out. You have incentive to gear up multiple jobs in multiple ways. Not, do coil on one job then spam AK till you drop dead.

Then again I skipped out on most of 2.1 so I'm playing catch up. So it seems like a lot of content. I'm not well informed on what is the current gear to go for, but things seem more spread out.

Aeana

You have to remember, we are only discussing part 1 here......

Edit: And I know a lot like to pretend that it doesn't exist but FFXIV has a pretty extensive reputation system that is a time sink.
Yes, it takes about an hour a day. But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, unless you're arguing that since it already has one, that it shouldn't have any more.

Aeana

Today was easily the best day I've had in this game in a long time. Having so many people online chatting the whole time, it's been too long. Anything that keeps people logging on often is a good thing in my mind.

Jayhawk

Been playing since getting home from work and too busy to catch up on what's been posted in this thread. Spent about an hour trying to farm atmas before I realized that I didn't have the shield zenith equipped, just the sword zenith. XD Probably made a difference.
Spent the rest of the time spamming T2 coil with pugs for gearing my alts.

Isaccard

Today was easily the best day I've had in this game in a long time. Having so many people online chatting the whole time, it's been too long. Anything that keeps people logging on often is a good thing in my mind.

Until they get their atma weapons

Please give us an EX Gilgamesh fight.

And unless people are crazy, I could see it taking over a month and a half or so to get the Animus. Lord help you if you have alts or multiple characters...

Sorian

Banned
Yes, it takes about an hour a day. But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, unless you're arguing that since it already has one, that it shouldn't have any more.

No, just arguing when you said that it doesn't have any current timesinks when it does.

Aeana

No, just arguing when you said that it doesn't have any current timesinks when it does.
I said of particular import. I don't think the dailies are significant timesinks, personally, but my perspective is probably really different here. I've been playing MMOs for 15 years and FF14 is by far the least timesinky I've ever played. And it's fine, of course, I'm not saying it should be filled with them, but when you have people sitting around saying there's nothing to do in the game, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have some.

Sorian

Banned
I said of particular import. I don't think the dailies are significant timesinks, personally, but my perspective is probably really different here. I've been playing MMOs for 15 years and FF14 is by far the least timesinky I've ever played. And it's fine, of course, I'm not saying it should be filled with them, but when you have people sitting around saying there's nothing to do in the game, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have some.

Objectively, the dailies are a month and a half time sink if you do them optimally and a 2 month time sink if you prioritize one over the other. Some care for the rewards and story, others don't. I've drifted off though and it's my fault, I don't take issue with the time sink for the weapon because it is a time sink, I take issue with it because it is a RNG time sink with no alternate pathing to it. An example of what I mean, coil 1 had gear you wanted but may have never dropped because of RNG but you also got a set amount of tomes from a run. Even if your item never dropped then the tomes would add up eventually to a guaranteed thing of equal value. It just seemed odd that a weapon, of all things, was where they put this RNG gate.

Ken

Isn't the tome weapon needing those sands that probably drop from coil 2? That doesn't really work too well as a bridge into coil 2.

Is that confirmed yet? They don't seem to have dropped from T6, and putting them in a later turn seems...weird.

Sorian

Banned
Is that confirmed yet? They don't seem to have dropped from T6, and putting them in a later turn seems...weird.

Nah, no confirmation yet. They might even be a rare drop from any turn which is why no one has seen it yet either. Being a rare drop would be even weirder to me but I'm trying hard not to question some of the design choices.

Zomba13

I think the worst bit about the Atma stuff is you really don't get anything out of it if you spend hours and don't get an hour.

Like, say you are grinding coil for a drop, you at least get myth tomes (and sol?) and the chance at other drops you might care for. When grinding dungeons for myth you are making progress on whatever piece you need every dungeon you do. With Atma all you get is a very small amount of gil and GC seals which is near useless, They could throw in like 1 myth tome or phil tome every fate. That way you are slowly building towards something even if you see no drop in 5+ hours like me.

Also, Gilgamesh needs a hard mode/extreme mode in an upcoming patch. Either he returns in some way stronger or as a bards retelling. Fight was fun and would be cool if it had a harder version. Could even drop classic FF weapons for classes.

Well, got mostly caught up with unlocking everything before the maint started. Just need to finish Hildabrandt stuff.

I also need to find a FC on Ultros now that no one I know is playing this game anymore. =/

Noi

Personally, I'm not interested in farming all of the Atma drops ASAP. I see it as a fun diversion that I'll fill in over time, doing FATEs that I'm in the area of for whatever reason. If I really need a new weapon, it's not like they didn't add two other possible upgrades with the Tome token one and the Leviathan drop. I just don't see the point in burning myself out so quickly by doing FATEs for hours on end when I could be doing anything else (farm coil 1-4, beastmen, get tomestones, do roulettes, CT, challenge log, crafting) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom