• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not gonna risk spending 2 hours with another class zenith that may or may not be true on atma drops. I personally want confirmation before I do something like this.

Picked up the quest as BLM, ground atma with Bravura Zenith equipped. When you turn the atma in, you get a menu asking which Zenith to upgrade - lists them all, even if you don't have them.

WolvenOne

Short of more substantive changes to the Fate system, the changes I'd suggest are as follows.

Increase the Atma drop rate slightly. Right now there's a 1-2% chance of an Atma dropping on any given fate. I'd change that to 4% for most fates, 2% for item delivery Fates, and 6% for Boss Fates. This wouldn't make the process dramatically faster, but it'd dramatically reduce the chances of you going an hour without getting an Atma drop.

Reduce the number of Myth Tomes needed for the books. You need nine books at 1.5K Myth Tomes a pieces?! You'll need to do a fair amount of Grinding just to get them. I'd say, lower them to somewhere like, 1000-1200 Tomes.

Can't really comment on the Book Grind, if it's predictable I don't see it being a huge problem.

Increase the amount of Gil that drops on Fates. Often you're only barely making more money then you're putting into repairs. If you could accumulate a fair amount of Gil after a few hours, it wouldn't be as big a deal. It'd have to be fairly subtle of course, or else it'd send the game economy outta whack, so to speak.

WolvenOne

The only good fate is a dead fate.

I honestly don't mind having to do Fates to get Atma's, I don't even mind that it'll take awhile. What I do mind, is that some people are grinding Fates for hours without getting a single Atma.

Grinding isn't nearly so bad, when there are fewer unpredictable elements to the process.

Zomba13

I think the more you do the fates the more of a chance you have to get the item.
Say it's a 1% chance. You do a fate in that area, don't get the drop and now the next fate is 2% etc. So even if you don't get the drop you have a better chance from the next one until you either get it or do enough in the area to guarantee the drop. If the drop% is higher than 1% as it is then just lower the amount it goes up with each completed fate to balance it.

I honestly don't mind having to do Fates to get Atma's, I don't even mind that it'll take awhile. What I do mind, is that some people are grinding Fates for hours without getting a single Atma.

Grinding isn't nearly so bad, when there are fewer unpredictable elements to the process.

This is how I feel. I don't mind the grind. Hell, if I knew doing 100 fates would get me my atma I'd do it. It's the fact I have no way of knowing when or if I'll ever get an atma drop. Grinding in an MMO is standard but even inn FFXI when you needed currency for the relic when you did a run you'd at least make some progress towards the relic with every run. As it is now It's random if I make progress or not. Once I get to the book part, then it's a grind I actually participate in and progress. Right now it's how good my luck is and it luck was a real stat in real life mine would be at 0.

WolvenOne

I think the more you do the fates the more of a chance you have to get the item.
Say it's a 1% chance. You do a fate in that area, don't get the drop and now the next fate is 2% etc. So even if you don't get the drop you have a better chance from the next one until you either get it or do enough in the area to guarantee the drop. If the drop% is higher than 1% as it is then just lower the amount it goes up with each completed fate to balance it.

I think this'd be an excellent way to handle it. Increase the drop rate by 1% for every FATE you participate in, until you get your Atma, then reset it back to 1%. Only problem with this is that the servers would need to track your Fate participation statistics, and that could get a little difficult. Not impossible by any means, but it isn't a quick fix either.

This is how I feel. I don't mind the grind. Hell, if I knew doing 100 fates would get me my atma I'd do it. It's the fact I have no way of knowing when or if I'll ever get an atma drop. Grinding in an MMO is standard but even inn FFXI when you needed currency for the relic when you did a run you'd at least make some progress towards the relic with every run. As it is now It's random if I make progress or not. Once I get to the book part, then it's a grind I actually participate in and progress. Right now it's how good my luck is and it luck was a real stat in real life mine would be at 0.

Yeah. If chances were heavily in my favor that an hour of Fate grinding would get me an Atma, I'd just grind an hour before bed every night to cool down, so to speak. Since it's random, you have just as much chance of getting zero Atma's in an hour, as you could get three.

There are aspects of this I like, but it needs fine tuning.

Jinko

I think this'd be an excellent way to handle it. Increase the drop rate by 1% for every FATE you participate in, until you get your Atma, then reset it back to 1%. Only problem with this is that the servers would need to track your Fate participation statistics, and that could get a little difficult. Not impossible by any means, but it isn't a quick fix either..

For SE it would be.

It's kind of funny how much back lash they got for the RNG on primal weapon drops in 1.0 and then changed it for ARR, but then go back to the old way of doing things, it gives me even less faith in this dev team.

Why did they not incorporate crafting into the grind instead ?, especially considering the out cry to make crafters more useful.

I think this'd be an excellent way to handle it. Increase the drop rate by 1% for every FATE you participate in, until you get your Atma, then reset it back to 1%. Only problem with this is that the servers would need to track your Fate participation statistics, and that could get a little difficult. Not impossible by any means, but it isn't a quick fix either.

They won't do that since it will give you sense of progression, and eventually it will end up to if-you-do-this-long-enough-you-are-guaranteed-to-get-something. It will be just like grinding Tomes but better since you have a chance to get reward at any moment. Bad RNG = rare loots. I think Yoshida wants to keep it that way.

WolvenOne

For SE it would be.

It's kind of funny how much back lash they got for the RNG on primal weapon drops in 1.0 and then changed it for ARR, but then go back to the old way of doing things, it gives me even less faith in this dev team.

Why did they not incorporate crafting into the grind instead ?, especially considering the out cry to make crafters more useful.

There are plenty of Crafters, if anything there are too many people participating in crafting. There haven't been nearly as many people participating in FATEs, on account of them being largely pointless to the endgame.

This, is an interesting way to make them relevant, but, like I said, it could use some fine tuning. You are right that, the above solution would probably be difficult, at least to implement quickly. However simply adjusting the drop-rate overall would have largely the same effect, and would be pretty simple.

N.A

Banned
Around 10 hours of grinding FATEs today and only 5 Atma thingies to show for it. Spent 4 1/2 hours doing the Upper La Noscea one (made even more fun by having to repeatedly ride the boat between the two sides of the map).

Alex

Each weapon needs the 12 Atma pieces each time lol. Best to pick the one class you're sure of and focus on that.

This game has always been kinda anti-alt, which is such a shame. Ratcheting up the treadmill with Philo to Myth rates and Atma makes it a little icky in spots but until they fix the conflicting FFXI-lifted job swaps with the WoW-lifted point caps and lockouts, then alts are a novelty until deep into a tier anyway.

Started Turn 6 last evening, we have a ways to go, but we're getting a better grip on things. Bit of a culture shock in that it's a new raid tier, but it also isn't, so the difficulty starts appropriately high instead of any ease ins or introductions. With four bosses and no modes, you want everything to be it's own landmark, I suppose. I haven't been truly fresh into a raid tier since 4.0 in WoW, so it's really fun for everything to be this big discovery and full of discussion, right now.

WolvenOne

Around 10 hours of grinding FATEs today and only 5 Atma thingies to show for it. Spent 4 1/2 hours doing the Upper La Noscea one (made even more fun by having to repeatedly ride the boat between the two sides of the map).

Definitly not looking forward to that one. XD

Though you could've made it a little easier by setting the Crystal across the lake as your home point.

Ken

jo8f9fkJN5LTL.png

you guys love fates so much we're gonna make CT2 unlock be tied to RNG fates

Alex

you guys love fates so much we're gonna make CT2 unlocks be tied to RNG fates

If they wanna keep the same format but make Crystal Tower 2 more interesting, I think they should make it competitive rather than cooperative between the three groups and give a desirable prize to the winning group. Nothing huge, just maybe the ol' carrots with vanity gear, crafting mats, etc.

I always wanted that in an MMO, that and the damn challenge modes they put into WoW AFTER I quit

Alex

They could
make it hard. Like coil hard. Like you need a FC and 16 ppl hard. *gasp*

Well, it is their casual content, they cant have everything tuned high in a modern MMO. That said I still think it's foolish to make raiding tiers with no difficulty modes, it's a lot of assets and design work to toss away on just one section of your fanbase. Also, with no customization, the gear options need as much variety as possible, so in addition to alts or a catch up phase it'd be really helpful to have be multiple difficulty levels with appropriate rewards.

nikos

Am I wrong to assume that Relic +2 and +3 are worthless for people who are going to clear Coil 2? From what I was told, it would take 27 weeks to get +3 with the Soldiery weekly cap. 2.3 should already be out by then.

Wouldn't we be able to get Soldiery gear and upgrade our Allagan weapons to il110-115 (non Relic) weapons to clear Coil 2, then get High Allagan gear/weapons from there? Seems like Relic +2 and +3 are a waste of time, or for people who need to grind for gear rather than clearing higher level content.

Allard

Am I wrong to assume that Relic +2 and +3 are worthless for people who are going to clear Coil 2? From what I was told, it would take 27 weeks to get +3 with the Soldiery weekly cap. 2.3 should already be out by then.

Wouldn't we be able to get Soldiery gear and upgrade our Allagan weapons to il110-115 (non Relic) weapons to clear Coil 2, then get High Allagan gear/weapons from there? Seems like Relic +2 and +3 are a waste of time, or for people who need to grind for gear rather than clearing higher level content.

The zodiac quest isn't completed, 2.25 and 2.3 update are going to add on to the quest, if its like the 1.0 variant by the time the quest line is done it should be easily the best piece for the job.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Atma wouldn't be a bad grind, if certain hidden triggers affected you

With RNG in play, it really hurts people's progression

I mean a few people got their first 5 or 6 very quickly and then the next one took them like 4+ hours almost matching the same amount for the first 5 or 6 they got

Watch them by 2.25 go on and say hey all those shit drop rates for Atmas are now 100%!, go get them
And they'll add in something else to roadblock you from getting things done

Jinko

Well, it is their casual content, they cant have everything tuned high in a modern MMO. That said I still think it's foolish to make raiding tiers with no difficulty modes, it's a lot of assets and design work to toss away on just one section of your fanbase. Also, with no customization, the gear options need as much variety as possible, so in addition to alts or a catch up phase it'd be really helpful to have be multiple difficulty levels with appropriate rewards.

What with echo buff everything is casual now :S

Pretty much, I will probably aim for a levi EX weapon and then high allagan, no doubt they will reduce the requirements in 2.3 for relic anyway.

WolvenOne

Titan is the exception to the rule perhaps :p

Nah, tried pugging Ifrit last night, and healers kept walking Searing Wind into DPS, and sometimes even the entire party.

Echo essentially over gears you for any fight, but you still need to handle the mechanics.

WolvenOne

Btw, weren't they talking about adding additional steps to the Zodiac weapon quest line, before 2.3

That'd be a bit unusual for them, since they useually use the .X5 updates for quality of life, but considering the nature of the upgrade path so far, I could see it.

BadRNG

Is it even worth farming Twin though when you could be practicing and trying to down Leviathan EX?
Not all of our group is on, we are waiting to learn together. Plus i95 weapons, same as levi, and we know we can do it (relatively) painlessly. So it's not like it's wasted time.

(It's also kind of fun being able to do these at will, or with new people.)

HM Brayflox is so much fun. Shame it's faceroll easy but no biggie.

Leviathan was very disappointing as a fight however. I want to try the EX version instead, would love one of the weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom