• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultrabum

Okay, for some reason, getting my first Atma took like 30 minutes. My attempt to get the second took almost two hours with no success.

And at that point, I realized that I'm essentially going through Fates I already grinded a bazillion times and my only rewards are company seals (which I already am capped on), and maybe 90 gil a pop. I am literally wasting my day off bashing my head against a RNG for absolutely no reward.

... These Zodiac Weapons better be the holy fucking grail when they get fully upgraded.

7 hours, no atmas to show for it. Yes I have the zenith equipped.

If they make this required to be competitive for progression next patch, I think I'll end up quitting the game.

Sorian

Banned

If they make this required to be competitive for progression next patch, I think I'll end up quitting the game.

It's ok, they'll up the drop rate in 2.3 and then you'll still be caught up in the stopgap that is those stat books. I've said my feelings on this matter but I don't think it's a terrible grind. I am willing to bet that this will end up being the top weapon down the line though.

Ultrabum

It's ok, they'll up the drop rate in 2.3 and then you'll still be caught up in the stopgap that is those stat books. I've said my feelings on this matter but I don't think it's a terrible grind. I am willing to bet that this will end up being the top weapon down the line though.

The grind isn't particularly long, it's just as boring as possible.

Ffxi was really grind heavy, but the grind was fun. Dynamis was fun. Exp parties and skill chains were fun.

Running to a spot on a map and hitting the 1 key is not fun for 7 hours with no end in sight.

Sorian

Banned
The grind isn't particularly long, it's just as boring as possible.

Ffxi was really grind heavy, but the grind was fun. Dynamis was fun. Exp parties and skill chains were fun.

Running to a spot on a map and hitting the 1 key is not fun for 7 hours with no end in sight.

I put some of the blame for this on the community. People whined about FATEs in 2.0 so dungeon exp was brought to a great level in 2.1 but within weeks people were back to FATE grinding like no one's business. FATEs suck, we shouldn't be sending mixed messages to the devs.

All of this would be solved if atmas just dropped regardless of the class you were using, if you have a zenith you can do the intro quest, if you've done the intro quest then atmas should drop, simple

Zomba13

All of this would be solved if atmas just dropped regardless of the class you were using, if you have a zenith you can do the intro quest, if you've done the intro quest then atmas should drop, simple

Good alternative. Another is to increase the drop rate slightly each fate (either a set amount or with ranking).

Being completely luck based though sucks. Especially as this is just to unlock the major grind. The FFXI like grind where you do stuff and make progress. This is just a grind depending on how lucky you are. You could get them all within 12 fates or it could take 1200.

If they want to make Atmas grindy, then get the fuck out with the RNG aspect.

Make it so you have guaranteed drops every X fates and be done with it. If you want people to stay doing this shit for 7 hours, then make sure that 7 hours is as long as it'll take.

Torquill

This is, ultimately the problem with pure RNG. Someone always gets royally fucked. You should, whenever possible, temper it with a long term guarantee in cases of truly shit luck. In this case raising the probability over concurrent roll failures seems like a reasonable course.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Okay, dropping the cynical side of myself and logged in today. I haven't tried much content (dungeon wise) but running around and gathering up new dances and stuff brought a smile to my face. =)

I think that since Diablo 3 scratches the loot whore itch in me so much that I can lean back and enjoy the lighter side to XIV more. Wish I did this earlier. =/ Sad about that.

BTW, I received my Realm Reborn BR OST yesterday and went through it quickly. It's a nice collection, as expected. The structure to the disc is the same as the Before Meteor disc. You can listen straight through or break the disc up into segments (Shroud, Thanalan, Primals, etc). Each song either has art work through it or plays the FMV/gameplay footage (in the case of primals/dungeons). The dungeon tracks are longer than they are in the game. It makes me confused as to why they just didn't play each dungeon theme through the dungeons. Each one has a unique one too.

Comparing the two soundtracks, it's remarkable that Before Meteor's continues to stand out to me. It's more unique and distinct. For example, the city themes in 1.x destroy the new themes. With a big, giant fist of greatness. Both OSTs are very, very good, but Meteor's is just a notch above. 2.1's (this OST goes up to 2.1) is very good though and I'm happy to have both the Titan and Ultima themes wherever I go. Titan's opening guitar riff will be my new ringtone.

If you're a fan, it's a nice pick up. =)

Ultrabum

Well, I'm ok with everything in this patch because there are plenty of weapon alternatives. That is a very good thing. I just fear for the future, that said maybe they will change it by the time the next patch comes out.

However, I doubt they will change it. The reason they did this is so new players have people to do fates with, and previously empty zones are now populated. This is a must so people starting new on ps4 can play the game. They want people out there doing this stuff.

Sorian

Banned
Well, I'm ok with everything in this patch because there are plenty of weapon alternatives. That is a very good thing. I just fear for the future, that said maybe they will change it by the time the next patch comes out.

However, I doubt they will change it. The reason they did this is so new players have people to do fates with, and previously empty zones are now populated. This is a must so people starting new on ps4 can play the game. They want people out there doing this stuff.

Pssh, PS4 scrubs touching my FATE mobs with their dirty level 5 weapons, better add that to the bingo card.

Aeana

Hitting a non FATE mob is definitely a peeve of mine. I groan every time even if it means nothing.

It made me laugh. I don't see the point of nitpicking a joke so heavily anyway.
The basis of the joke is looking down on other players. We all have our annoyances with things other people do in this game that are legitimately problematic; I don't think that getting up in arms because of completely inconsequential things is good or conducive to a positive atmosphere in the game. For example, someone who is actually the level the FATEs are intended for following the level 50 horde around trying to benefit isn't something we should be making fun of or discouraging in any way, unless we already forgot how dead FATEs were after 2.1. And some of the other squares again just seem like they're grasping for something to be exasperated about.

The CT version of this bingo card worked because each square represented something that was legitimately annoying and that happened all the time. I don't think this one works the same way, it is reaching entirely too far into the realm of the harmless.

The basis of the joke is looking down on other players. We all have our annoyances with things other people do in this game that are legitimately problematic; I don't think that getting up in arms because of completely inconsequential things is good or conducive to a positive atmosphere in the game. For example, someone who is actually the level the FATEs are intended for following the level 50 horde around trying to benefit isn't something we should be making fun of or discouraging in any way, unless we already forgot how dead FATEs were after 2.1. And some of the other squares again just seem like they're grasping for something to be exasperated about.

The CT version of this bingo card worked because each square represented something that was legitimately annoying and that happened all the time. I don't think this one works the same way, it is reaching entirely too far into the realm of the harmless.

I agree.

I guess is still fun to see how many of these things happens.

gryvan

While all you nubs are farming atma, I am going through turn 5 of crafting because that is the true endgame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am shocked that no one has gif'd Manderville and put "white people" under it.

Done!

gif_write_1975d0j1jbe.gif

Aeana

You must live in a fantastic world because I wish FATEs were dead. 2.1 killed them for about two weeks then they were back in stride, usually comprising about 25% of the PF.
Sorry, the only active FATE zones in 2.1 were Coerthas and occasionally Northern Thanalan. In other zones you would be extremely fortunate to find even a single group. I don't know if you were around at launch, but it is a far cry from how things were.

Sorian

Banned
Sorry, the only active FATE zones in 2.1 were Coerthas and occasionally Northern Thanalan. In other zones you would be extremely fortunate to find even a single group. I don't know if you were around at launch, but it is a far cry from how things were.

Yeah, there wasn't a zerg running through every zone like now or at launch but all of the zones that were in the "optimal" leveling path were almost always accounted for with a group (I admitedly don't remember the list but costa was one of the places).

The point still stands, FATEs weren't dead but I truly wish they were. And yes, no content is bad content but that isn't really the case when it is being slammed down your throat. It seems that, when in doubt, they throw in a FATE if they want something to take a little bit longer, hell, doing leves would be more interesting.

Having hit 50 on all my jobs post 2.1 (outside of 4 of them pre 2.1), you must be talking about EU times or something. 80% of the time I was out trying to FATE grind, I was lucky to find a single group in any area not named Coerthas.

MechaX

Go spend your company seal then. Shit, buy some animal fat and sell it on the market.

Interestingly enough, I ended up doing just that.

And given the other hour I dedicated to getting an atma to no avail, I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that I'm expecting to hit the cap again by the end of the week at this rate.

Aeana

Interestingly enough, I ended up doing just that.

And given the other hour I dedicated to getting an atma to no avail, I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing that I'm expecting to hit the cap again by the end of the week at this rate.
I've capped on seals twice doing atmas. I'm at 10/12.

Sorian

Banned
North America FC on Ultros just did Turn 8 clear.

Damn. . That's pretty fast..

Turn 9 was what I always expected to be the brick wall. I eagerly await results.

Well at least the Atmas will keep people occupied!

Not in a good way though, its easy to say that this will keep people logged in longer this patch but if they leave with a sour taste in their mouth than the next patch may not pull them back in as easily.

RNG in this game is weird. Bard boots don't drop for months then last night we saw 4 sets.

You might find this interesting to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random...e.22_random_numbers_vs._pseudo-random_numbers

No one knows what method Squenix uses for their RNG. If the algorithm for generating is good, there is almost no statistical probability that the number is not effectively random for a small sample size, for example a few hundred FATEs a player completes for an Atma drop.

If it's not a good algorithm for pseudo-random number generation then it's actually possible for some people to get a statistically zero percent chance of ever getting a drop.

This is why some people are getting an Atma drop on their first FATE and others have literally grinded 12+ hours without a single drop. Because in a general sense for computer applications, random is not truly random. The difference is how statistically close to random you are able to get and how much effort Squenix put into trying to make their RNG as random as possible.

Sorian

Banned
This is why some people are getting an Atma drop on their first FATE and others have literally grinded 12+ hours without a single drop. Because in a general sense for computer applications, random is not truly random. The difference is how statistically close to random you are able to get and how much effort Squenix put into trying to make their RNG as random as possible.

Again, I don't agree with RNG without alternate advancement but as it stands, I still don't see this as being a terrible system. If I had to guess, I would say that the drop chance of an atma is between 1%-5%, let's go with the bottom of that spread and say the drop chance is 1%. Think about the roll system in this game for gear, you click need and the system rolls between 1-100 for you, I'm willing to bet the same system is in place behind the scenes of the atmas. An arbitrary number is picked, let's say 69, and whenever you complete a FATE under the correct prerequisites then the system does an internal roll, if that roll comes up 69, atma to your inventory, if not then nothing.

Now I understand that nothing is ever truly random in computers but I can't imagine it is hard to simulate randomness from such a small spread of numbers. What it comes down to is, that 1% is across the entire population, for most players they will see about a 1% chance just from their own attempts but because of averages there will also be players on each side of the spectrum at a much lower number, some that get atmas falling out of their ass with each step and others who could farm from now until next week with no sleep and have one to their name, that is why the system is bad to do but overall, it really isn't unfair.

Sorian

Banned
That theme is great, but my point stands :p I like the new town themes just as much as the old. SE should find a way to incorporate the old ones.

Instanced fights that take place in the towns and use the old themes? I could kick something's ass to that Uldah theme.

I'm not bothered with horrible RNG from Atma FATE grinding at all. What bothers me is the requirement to wear Zenith to grind those FATEs. Why can't they just allow us to use any lv character to grind for Atma after using Zenith to activate the quest? This Atma grinding basically stops my other class progression because instead of leveling up those classes while waiting for DF, now I have to run around with my lv-capped character at all time. Fucking annoying.

Kintaro

They don't have to "find a way" to put in the old themes. They should just put them back in. When one loops through, start the other one. Just alternate them. Simple. Same with the battle themes. Randomize them.

Sorian

Banned
They don't have to "find a way" to put in the old themes. They should just put them back in. When one loops through, start the other one. Just alternate them. Simple. Same with the battle themes. Randomize them.

That would sound gross in the city. It needs context to switch from one to the other. Hell, each city has two areas, make the new theme in one and the old theme in the other.

Kintaro

That would sound gross in the city. It needs context to switch from one to the other. Hell, each city has two areas, make the new theme in one and the old theme in the other.

Or that. I don't believe it would sound "gross" though. Give some pause in between themes like it does now before it recycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom