• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I shudder to think how T4 pugs will go now. I've pugged T1 a few times since 2.2 hit, and they've been the messiest clears I've ever had from there. Far, far worse than 2.1 T1 pugs.

T4 Pugs right now always go like this.

1: Nobody talks, nobody bothers to get into the same page. Except for one hardily legible guy barking out half coherent orders.

2: DPS always take an ice age to get enemies down, phases bleed into each other, Tank decides to turn down the first dread in the middle and cleaves the party standing there.

3: All proceed to blame the off tank and rage quite.

FinKL

1: Nobody talks, nobody bothers to get into the same page. Except for one hardily legible guy barking out half coherent orders.

2: DPS always take an ice age to get enemies down, phases bleed into each other, Tank decides to turn down the first dread in the middle and cleaves the party standing there.

This has been my experience on Siren as well, as a Healer trying to determine who to heal, the other Healer always never responds until we wipe on P2. This is iLvl85+ req groups too.

Also want to add if you do get past that part...
4: Tanks don't hallowed/pop cool downs during P6
5: Other Healer draws aggro on add spawns and blame tanks.

Stuart444

The first bit sounds similar to my first try at T4 before the patch. When getting one DPS for the group, we were discussing things at the start, he goes "it's not hard, let's just do this", starts the fight early, we wipe and he goes "Sorry, didn't realize this was a learning group" and leaves when he was the one who chose not to communicate at all and then start the fight early.

Like I always say: Communication is a pugs worst nightmare.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So I've been an avid WoW player for years. Played some Final Fantasy XI early on, and Everquest before that.

Thinking of diving into this game since I have a little extra free time right now. Is it still good to jump in this late?

Also, I like to solo while leveling for the most part. It seems this is more friendly to soloing than FFXI, is that the right impression?

Do it, then we can get more of CFB-GAF into the game.

It's tremendously "solo-able", in comparison to XI. Then only time you need a party, is on Dungeons and "Trials", which are boss fights.

I've hit the limit cap in a month, while it took me a year+ in XI (but I was also lazy, though the long waits for finding parties didn't help).

Wilsongt

The damage in the Lost city of amdapor seems pretty high especially the last groups before Diabolos. I had to pop everything and my whitemage was oom afterwards with ilvl88 nonetheless

Really? I went into Amdapor as a SCH at iLv76 and everything went pretty smoothy.

I am still sitting at 3/12 Atmas.

Soldier tomes are amazingly easy to cap. The game gives out way more of those than they do myth at this point. However, someone in my FC has managed to find a pretty easy way to farm 50 myth in 10 minutes.

Stuart444

I wonder when SE will make another post about the lag people are getting. I'm scared to just do any 4-man instance. 8-man instances have some lag but not nearly as bad or as often as 4-man ones.

Not even done any roulettes apart from guild hests in the past few days because of it.

dark_chris

Really? I went into Amdapor as a SCH at iLv76 and everything went pretty smoothy.

I am still sitting at 3/12 Atmas.

Soldier tomes are amazingly easy to cap. The game gives out way more of those than they do myth at this point. However, someone in my FC has managed to find a pretty easy way to farm 50 myth in 10 minutes.

You can farm myths by doing Bray HM.
Usually I stick to farming T4 with a good solid good. 20 myths in 7 mins sound good + loot.

Nose Master

So what's the best / weirdest thing you guys have gotten via Quick Exploration w/ your retainers? I got Cherry Confetti and a Leaf Rug or something that sells for 200k~ish.

Kenai

Also, does it make any difference what class you assign your Retainer?

Battle classes all get the same thing between them. The gatherers all have different lootpools.

So I've been an avid WoW player for years. Played some Final Fantasy XI early on, and Everquest before that.

Thinking of diving into this game since I have a little extra free time right now. Is it still good to jump in this late?

Also, I like to solo while leveling for the most part. It seems this is more friendly to soloing than FFXI, is that the right impression?

Yea, it's not really late at all, game's only been out ~7 months and it's in the wake of a new patch.

Soloing is pretty easy, although a lot of your character's ability progression is tied to the main story so you're gonna want to focus on that, which is in turn gated behind your levels and "raid" completion, although most story raids are pretty easy for experienced players. You can queue for all main-story related group content in FF14's version of the Dungeon Finder also, so you don't have to gather groups.

Classes also play fairly differently from each other, and unlike those games you are going to want to level multiple jobs (which you can do on the same toon) because each has a few important cross class skills essential to doing your job. They make it fairly easy to do though.

studyguy

So I was banned for 3 months, yet still showed up pretty damn high on the wall of shame, Christ.

Also fuck atmas, and fuck T5, I never got my sword.

Number45

I wonder when SE will make another post about the lag people are getting. I'm scared to just do any 4-man instance. 8-man instances have some lag but not nearly as bad or as often as 4-man ones.

Not even done any roulettes apart from guild hests in the past few days because of it.
I've run Haukke Manor a couple of times with pretty horrific lag and I've not been able to work out if all of the issues are because of the lag or something else. About to unlock Titan as well, and I can't imagine that will go down well with a sizeable delay. :(

studyguy

Gutted Levi EX a couple times with 0 lag.
8 man instances seem to get no issue, 4man is like nope nope nope.

Trying to finish a combo was almost impossible.
Remember trying to do Hali hard and I got stuck trying to activate the shadow orb.

N.A

Banned
All 12 atma pieces collected :/

CUZ773Q.png

Times:

Atma of the MAIDEN Central Shroud - 20 mins
Atma of the SCORPION - Southern Thanalan - 3 hours
Atma of the WATER BEARER - Upper La Noscea - 5 hours
Atma of the GOAT - East Shroud - 30 mins
Atma of the BULL - Eastern Thanalan - 4 hours
Atma of the RAM - Middle La Noscea - 3 hours
Atma of the TWINS - Western Thanalan - 2 hours
Atma of the LION - Outer La Noscea - 2 hours
Atma of the FISH - Lower La Noscea - 2 hours
Atma of the ARCHER - North Shroud - 3 hours
Atma of the SCALES - Central Thanalan - 1 hour
Atma of the CRAB - Western La Noscea - 12 hours

About 38 hours total :/

Roughly 650 FATEs / Less than 2% drop rate

Never again.

I haven't started Atma farming yet, but that will be the thing that I do when I don't have anything else to do. I don't mind the grind but there are more interesting things for me to do right now.

Oddly enough, farming the old Coil was some of the most fun I have had with the patch so far. It' s fun grouping up with people outside of your static. I'm always down for more anytime!

Agreed, I'm always up for that myself.

aceface

So what's the best / weirdest thing you guys have gotten via Quick Exploration w/ your retainers? I got Cherry Confetti and a Leaf Rug or something that sells for 200k~ish.

Is the quick exploration better? I've been sending them out on that 18 hour one every time.

WolvenOne

The first bit sounds similar to my first try at T4 before the patch. When getting one DPS for the group, we were discussing things at the start, he goes "it's not hard, let's just do this", starts the fight early, we wipe and he goes "Sorry, didn't realize this was a learning group" and leaves when he was the one who chose not to communicate at all and then start the fight early.

Like I always say: Communication is a pugs worst nightmare.

I'd actually say lack of impatience is the whole communities biggest problem, as it's the root cause of things like, a lack of communication.

Case in point, been running T6 with a non-GAF static these past few days, and while most of them have a pretty good attitude about it, the raid leader is extremely impatient and seems to think that the group should be a lot closer to having T6 cleared by now. He doesn't want to run Mog or Leviathan, despite the fact that it'd get players gear that'd lower the overall difficulty level of the fight, he just wants to plow through T6, and gets flustered with people if they don't dodge quite quickly enough, or, God forbid, has to go to bed for work the next day.

It's bad enough that I may opt out of that group, despite having only just started, and despite the fact that most the people there have a decent attitude.

Thing is, it sounds like this behavior may have driven off multiple static members already, so, I guess me opting out would only be, par for the course. XD

Allard

Is the quick exploration better? I've been sending them out on that 18 hour one every time.

Quick exploration has you sending your retainer to go find a random item from the game. Could be something worthless like the confetti or muddy water or it could be primal weapons, PvP gear (saw a screenshot of it on BG) and housing material. At this point though I have to think the retainers are the real thieves guild and 'quick' exploration is whatever they find to steal from people :p Because there is no way they are going to convince me they 'obtained' a mog weapon at lvl 11 XD.

WolvenOne

All 12 atma pieces collected :/

Times:

Atma of the MAIDEN Central Shroud - 20 mins
Atma of the SCORPION - Southern Thanalan - 3 hours
Atma of the WATER BEARER - Upper La Noscea - 5 hours
Atma of the GOAT - East Shroud - 30 mins
Atma of the BULL - Eastern Thanalan - 4 hours
Atma of the RAM - Middle La Noscea - 3 hours
Atma of the TWINS - Western Thanalan - 2 hours
Atma of the LION - Outer La Noscea - 2 hours
Atma of the FISH - Lower La Noscea - 2 hours
Atma of the ARCHER - North Shroud - 3 hours
Atma of the SCALES - Central Thanalan - 1 hour
Atma of the CRAB - Western La Noscea - 12 hours

About 38 hours total :/

Roughly 650 FATEs / Less than 2% drop rate

Never again.

Hmm, so it sounds like they roughly need to raise the drop rate to, 5-6%, which would result with about a twelve hour grind.

You're right that 38 hours is a bit much for a quest-line you'll be repeating for multiple weapons, especially since it's only part of the overall quest.

I still insist that it isn't a fundamentally broken system, it just needs to be adjusted to be more approachable. Not everyone has huge spans of time to spare, plus, there needs to be some sense of progression.

Alex

It's a WoW-style game, complete with catch up elements, it's always fine to jump in. They take accessibility into mind each patch and each tier.

You can farm myths by doing Bray HM.

Brayflox Hard Mode is the new Wanderer's Palace, back to Black Mage + Bard. it's like 10-11ish minutes for 50 myth and a few More if you still need to cap Soldiery. We were doing speed runs yesterday.... which MOSTLY went ok but had a couple deaths due to this horrible lag bug. Half our healers casts were getting eaten.

I really like Brayflox HM, so I'm glad it's the one to spam. Nice outdoor visuals, great pace and I especially love the crazy Gobbie Tank with the Uematsu music, it all smacked of FF7 quite hard.

Halitali is the one I'm not so fond of... it's not a bad dungeon but it's just dreary and the passive music sincerely hurts my ears.

You'll be fine on your own for a while. I think right now is the best time to jump in since you will lv up extremely quickly thanks to Atma FATE grinding.

I was thinking about doing Glamour stuffs to my outfit so I checked the market board but I don't see anybody selling Glamour Prism at all. I thought it is craftable item and should be all over the market. Am I missing something?

N.A

Banned
I was thinking about doing Glamour stuffs to my outfit so I checked the market board but I don't see anybody selling Glamour Prism at all. I thought it is craftable item and should be all over the market. Am I missing something?

Under "Catalyst"

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think I need a little guidance, I resubbed and changed my lv30 marauder to an archer...so the grind to lv15 was a little tedious with no main missions to boost me up, just sides and leves. Now that I cleared my lv15 archer quest I see that my next one is at lv20, with no more side quests in site. Is the only real way to get up leaves, duty finding and fates now? Or is there a way to reset the main missions...

N.A

Banned
I think I need a little guidance, I resubbed and changed my lv30 marauder to an archer...so the grind to lv15 was a little tedious with no main missions to boost me up, just sides and leves. Now that I cleared my lv15 archer quest I see that my next one is at lv20, with no more side quests in site. Is the only real way to get up leaves, duty finding and fates now? Or is there a way to reset the main missions...

There is no way to reset the story missions.

You can try the new challenge log which has challenges that reset each week and give great exp. You can get the challenge log at Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (x11,y10)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Duty Finder (dungeons and guildhests), Fates, Leves, and Hunting Log. It's been this way...since launch. Well, the Duty Finder Lotto XP bonus is new and nice! But yeah. Besides any side quests/main missions you haven't hit, you can't reset. Oh yeah, challenge log!

Also, in your 40s there are daily beastmen tride quests for xp as well. Four sets of them now.

Alex

There is no way to reset the story missions.

You can try the new challenge log which has challenges that reset each week and give great exp. You can get the challenge log at Limsa Lominsa Upper Decks (x11,y10)

Oh, I forgot this was even a thing. I wish they had a quest barker or something that would point you towards the new quests and content when a patch hits.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oh, I forgot this was even a thing. I wish they had a quest barker or something that would point you towards the new quests and content when a patch hits.
Do those new ones not show up in Recommendations?

Lucifon

This may have been answered before, but is the beta weekend on PS4 this weekend open to all? I plan on picking up a PS3 CE and upgrading, but not until just before launch (in time for early access). I was hoping I could still play this weekend and convince my buddies to join me.

Teknoman

Honestly I like the metal appearance of the standard shield over the plain white of the upgrade. Then again, maybe its just like putting a base coat on or something?

The last thing I need to do for my first book(the Fate Giant Seps) never seems to spawn.

LOL I know right. that shit took forever to spawn cause no one does fates. First time I tried to get it we decided to clear some fates so it would spawn and not just stand there with thumb up butt...by the time we got back to it was basically dead...got silver...got 0 credit since you have to get a gold on them for it to count.

studyguy

Honestly I like the metal appearance of the standard shield over the plain white of the upgrade. Then again, maybe its just like putting a base coat on or something?

I've seen the metallic sheen of the Relic Zenith for months now.
They can paint it any which color they want, but it's still going to be the same relic.

WolvenOne

Things to do.

• Maps
  • Run CT a ton of times for Myth, (until 4 man servers are fixed.)
  • Level up WHM so I have Stoneskin for PLD.
  • Farm T2 for Allagan Tank Pants. T_T
  • Farm T5 for Allagan Axe and Helmet, for vanity if nothing else. D:
  • Finish Learning King Mog EM, and farm it for my Fending Ribbon.
  • Finish Learning Leviathan EM and farm it for my Levithan Axe and Mirror.
  • Help friends and FC members past certain Extreme Primals.
  • Read up on T6 so I understand it better, "What the heck is the honey glaze phase!? It sounds tasty!"
  • Grind Soldiery starting late tonight, to get the ilvl100 Chest piece early in the week.
  • Atma Grind
  • Dailies

So, uh, is there any way I can negotiate for more then twenty four hours in a day? O_O

Edit: Hard to make yourself go back into four-mans, after you've been teleporting all over the place. D:

Teknoman

I've seen the metallic sheen of the Relic Zenith for months now.
They can paint it any which color they want, but it's still going to be the same relic.

Its not the final upgrade though right? I'm thinking its something like having the weapon stripped down (like the first relics) and then an actual transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom