• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your DPS isn't good enough to get that center briar down before it gets bigger then I can see how things could go south very quickly. It's possible to recover from it, but it sure is a pain in the butt. One of the very first things we worked on was making sure everybody was looking for the center briar spawn every time briars drop and getting on it immediately. There can be unfortunate timings with a bee and a center briar which can make it tough, but usually it all works out fine.

That's how my group did it also. Make sure you can burn down the center briar should be your 1st priority in starting to run T6. after that just wok on the phases as they come.

Also we like to just run through rafflasea when we get the icon for suck in. Not sure how many people do it but if you stand right there and wait for teh icon to disappear as soon as it disappears you can run through and avoid devour

Stuart444

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/223fxd/yoshida_post_hm_tamtara_in_23_somebody_returns/

Tam-tara HM in patch 2.3... with a boss that some people may recognize? (idk honestly)

someone suggests it could be an April fools joke though but still, never heard of the name of the person or anything. Still if Tam-tara HM turns up in 2.3...

edit: yeah, took a better look and it turns out Yoshida himself was having a joke on everyone is Yoshida day... should have said Sastasha >.>. Still wouldn't mind Tam-tara HM myself but whatever, we'll see.

Aeana

That's how my group did it also. Make sure you can burn down the center briar should be your 1st priority in starting to run T6. after that just wok on the phases as they come.

Also we like to just run through rafflasea when we get the icon for suck in. Not sure how many people do it but if you stand right there and wait for teh icon to disappear as soon as it disappears you can run through and avoid devour
This is what we do, too.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If you don't do this the stacking buff on the boss becomes uncontrollable.
Any group that has cleared it does this.

Sophia

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/223fxd/yoshida_post_hm_tamtara_in_23_somebody_returns/

Tam-tara HM in patch 2.3... with a boss that some people may recognize? (idk honestly)

someone suggests it could be an April fools joke though but still, never heard of the name of the person or anything. Still if Tam-tara HM turns up in 2.3...

edit: yeah, took a better look and it turns out Yoshida himself was having a joke on everyone is Yoshida day... should have said Sastasha >.>. Still wouldn't mind Tam-tara HM myself but whatever, we'll see.

Wahahaha. That would have been as depressing as it would have been funny. >_>;

WolvenOne

Okay, so, the person with the icon finds a Briar, and everybody else runs through Rafflusia (or whatevs) so they're on the other side of him when he turns to do his sucking AoE at the targeted player?

Yeah I can see what that'd work a lot better. You'd need far less open space to run this dodging strategy effectively, so the Tanks can focus on rotating enmity, the DPS can focus more on burning, and so on and so forth.

Aeana

Okay, so, the person with the icon finds a Briar, and everybody else runs through Rafflusia (or whatevs) so they're on the other side of him when he turns to do his sucking AoE at the targeted player?

Yeah I can see what that'd work a lot better. You'd need far less open space to run this dodging strategy effectively, so the Tanks can focus on rotating enmity, the DPS can focus more on burning, and so on and so forth.
No. Using the strategy described above, briars are not involved in avoiding devour. The person who gets the spore runs to one side and everybody else goes other directions. When the spore disappears from the top of the person's head, they then run through (or as close to through) the boss so they are not in the devour area of effect before the stun goes out.

WolvenOne

No. Using the strategy described above, briars are not involved in avoiding devour. The person who gets the spore runs to one side and everybody else goes other directions. When the spore disappears from the top of the person's head, they then run through (or as close to through) the boss so they are not in the devour area of effect before the stun goes out.

Oh, so it's similar to the LoS Searing Wind Breaking strategy some healers use on Ifrit? Yeah if people can get the timing down that'd be even better.

studyguy

Following the implementation of Patch 2.2, we have identified several parties that used illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut”. As this is a violation of the Terms of Service, 24 service accounts that used such illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3” have been suspended.

※As of April 1, 2014 at 1:00 a.m., only two parties have legitimately completed “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3”. Game data since then has been closely monitored.

Why would you glitch an instance that almost no one has completed?
Especially T8? Christ... So bad. It's like Twintania all over again when a group ended up killing a glitched twin first.

Cmagus

Magic hat

i96pjuW2zTixw.png

Cmagus

Hmm from the forums

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ices-in-“The-Second-Coil-of-Bahamut”-(Apr.-3)

***********************************************************************************
[NA] Regarding Illegitimate Practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut” (Apr. 3)

Following the implementation of Patch 2.2, we have identified several parties that used illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut”. As this is a violation of the Terms of Service, 24 service accounts that used such illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3” have been suspended.

※As of April 1, 2014 at 1:00 a.m., only two parties have legitimately completed “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3”. Game data since then has been closely monitored.

Although we will continue to monitor game data to ensure that similar illegitimate practices are not being used, we would like to remind players that using third-party programs, parsers, or other tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game is a violation of the Terms of Service, and will be dealt with strict disciplinary action.

Players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

studyguy

I can't find it right now, but there's a position hacking video on youtube of a BLM soloing twintania by flying above the stage. I'd imagine something like that was the issue.

Either way, stupid.

I can't find it right now, but there's a position hacking video on youtube of a BLM soloing twintania by flying above the stage. I'd imagine something like that was the issue.

Either way, stupid.

They changed the stage on T5 to make it flat as it was an example of a Z-axis exploit.

Ultrabum

So how close to the boss do you have to be when you see the yellow dot?

Can you still do it if there is a small patch in the middle?

Any videos of this? I'm assuming it's like dodging pic in turn 4.

WolvenOne

I'd imagine so.

With the Spinner Rooks, once they had aggro on you, what you had to do was start moving around slightly while looking at that lil circle that shows you which direction an enemy is facing. Once the arrow on that circle stops moving, it means you'll see the cast bar for Pox coming any moment, and that it's safe to dash through.

If the same thing works on Rafflusia (really am I getting the name right? That sounds so wrong,) then I'd imagine it'd work the same, or very similarly.

Ken

No, many groups send the person with the spore into briars. I would say that is the most popular strategy.

Hm, I'd say it's less "popular strategy" and more that it's assumed to be the intended answer to that mechanic, but then SE not being great at enforcing mechanics in fights happened.

WolvenOne

Hm, I'd say it's less "popular strategy" and more that it's assumed to be the intended answer to that mechanic, but then SE not being great at enforcing mechanics in fights happened.

Yes well, to be fair, unlike Enrage strat, this bypass method actually would require some skill to pull off. There are a LOT of players out there that don't know how to break invisible LoS attacks.

Not sure if there are any videos of it but when me and my group do it I usually stand close enough that if I move forward a couple of steps I would be already running through. Basically touching the boss. Then right when it disappears you start running through. by the time you are stunned you will be just on the other side already attacking him.

Yeah if the small briar is in the middle you can still do it.

It's like dodging anything slipstream, pox etc etc. This just has a visual queue instead of a castbar

Aeana

I'd like to think that SE doesn't explicitly design a single solution for any one mechanic. There often seems to be some leeway for things. Like, I would think that if they didn't want us doing what we do, they would make the stun occur at the very moment that the direction for devour is determined (when the spore disappears), which would make this impossible. But there's actually a fairly lengthy delay.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hmm from the forums

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ices-in-“The-Second-Coil-of-Bahamut”-(Apr.-3)

***********************************************************************************
[NA] Regarding Illegitimate Practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut” (Apr. 3)

Although we will continue to monitor game data to ensure that similar illegitimate practices are not being used, we would like to remind players that using third-party programs, parsers, or other tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game is a violation of the Terms of Service, and will be dealt with strict disciplinary action.

Players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

I wonder if this has to do with the zoom-hack going around.

Ken

I'd like to think that SE doesn't explicitly design a single solution for any one mechanic. There often seems to be some leeway for things. Like, I would think that if they didn't want us doing what we do, they would make the stun occur at the very moment that the direction for devour is determined (when the spore disappears), which would make this impossible. But there's actually a fairly lengthy delay.

I don't really mind multiple solutions for any mechanic, but it just seems weird to me that they design so many elements (the bulbs, briars, and the targeting) for a mechanic that you can simply solve with ignoring most of them. As to why there's a huge delay, maybe it's to accomodate for network lag? Original Twisters seems like an example of forgetting that you're designing a game to be played over the internet. Ah, whatever, I don't really care as I'm neither for or against any method for clearing.

Aeana

I don't really mind multiple solutions for any mechanic, but it just seems weird to me that they design so many elements (the bulbs, briars, and the targeting) for a mechanic that you can simply solve with ignoring most of them. As to why there's a huge delay, maybe it's to accomodate for network lag? Original Twisters seems like an example of forgetting that you're designing a game to be played over the internet. Ah, whatever, I don't really care as I'm neither for or against any method for clearing.

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that they might be against people doing it or not. I mean, we can look at other types of things. Turn 2 enrage, for example. If they really didn't want people doing what they do, the simplest solution would be to insta-kill everyone when time's up. But they didn't do that, not even in the update where they increased the damage.

Then again, they have been inconsistent, since they were going to clear hate when players enter the conflagrations in turn 5 despite saying earlier that they saw this as an acceptable use of mechanics. I guess you can never be too sure about the way things will go. I don't think most groups would have difficulty adjusting strategy for spores in turn 6 should SE decide to change it, though. Or dealing with slimes in phase 3 rather than ignoring them as some groups do, for that matter.

BadRNG

Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were suggesting that they might be against people doing it or not. I mean, we can look at other types of things. Turn 2 enrage, for example. If they really didn't want people doing what they do, the simplest solution would be to insta-kill everyone when time's up. But they didn't do that, not even in the update where they increased the damage.

Then again, they have been inconsistent, since they were going to clear hate when players enter the conflagrations in turn 5 despite saying earlier that they saw this as an acceptable use of mechanics. I guess you can never be too sure about the way things will go. I don't think most groups would have difficulty adjusting strategy for spores in turn 6 should SE decide to change it, though. Or dealing with slimes in phase 3 rather than ignoring them as some groups do, for that matter.
I don't think it's a matter of being truly for or against a specific strategy, but I do think they design most mechanics with a strategy in mind. It's just impossible to predict how players will break things to make things easier and require less effort. I find it very hard to believe stuff like ignoring Rot or Searing Wind/Devours ever even crossed their mind as possible thing players would do, they are the hardest/most central mechanic in their respective fights.

I don't think there's much chance they will change things though, the turn 5 hate drop was a bug that was quickly hotfixed if I remember right. Outside of rendering mobs unable to fight back, they seem to be pretty ok with anything that breaks fights.

Aeana

I don't think it's a matter of being truly for or against a specific strategy, but I do think they design most mechanics with a strategy in mind. It's just impossible to predict how players will break things to make things easier and require less effort. I find it very hard to believe stuff like ignoring Rot or Searing Wind/Devours ever even crossed their mind as possible thing players would do, they are the hardest/most central mechanic in their respective fights.

I don't think there's much chance they will change things though, the turn 5 hate drop was a bug that was quickly hotfixed if I remember right. Outside of rendering mobs unable to fight back, they seem to be pretty ok with anything that breaks fights.

I still wonder about turn 2, though, because other fights have hard insta-death enrages, so they've shown they aren't against instituting those.

But no one is ignoring it. If they didnt want this to happen they could do 1 simple thing. collision. Nothing in this game has any collision detection. I can run through damn near anything. Add collision, problem solved.

briar it definitely isn't ignored. that is probably one of your top priorities. If there is a smarter easier way of doing something no reason not to, unless it is turn 2 enrage that is just a waist of 8 mins I could be using for something else in game like a myth run in brayflox.

If they didnt want us to kill the bulbs, make them invincible. Slimes, make them auto agro a dps so they have to be engaged.

The only thing that is ignored in teh fight is slimes honestly. And maybe honeyglazed. mechanic.

Mairu

Sub canceled, twelve days to go :/

No decent groups on Leviathan need a tank, oh well. I enjoy the encounters in FFXIV but I have no desire to play unless I'm raiding. Was fun while it lasted!

Aeana

Sub canceled, twelve days to go :/

No decent groups on Leviathan need a tank, oh well. I enjoy the encounters in FFXIV but I have no desire to play unless I'm raiding. Was fun while it lasted!

It's too bad you didn't transfer to Ultros where the party is!

Ken

But no one is ignoring it.

If you're just running the devour target through Rafflesia to avoid devours completely, then there's really no need to interact with the briar status isn't there? I guess I don't really know how honey would be devoured doing this method though since I haven't tried it yet.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Wouldn't really be worth spending the money without knowing whether there is something decent worth joining :/
You can create a character on Ultros for the next 12 days and see if it's active enough for you. Then either pay for the transfer, level up your new character, or quit.

RK9039

Wait... what? Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy are completely gone?

I have one day left, but I will re-sub again. Looks like a lot things have changed, I'm literally the only one running around in full Darklight set. People are laughing at me.

pyrandes

I dont post too much, but I feel like Im in the same boat as Mairu w/ the Leviathan server (well, outside of cancelling). Especially true since Im kinda behind on content.

Thought about transferring to Ultros or starting over there. Right now Im just running the expert roulette daily when I log in (and not lagged to oblivion!), but that'll only last so long :/

IMBored

So I created a character, register on the ultros clan page and filled the recruitment tab. Now to apply I only have to send a tell to an leader?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So I created a character, register on the ultros clan page and filled the recruitment tab. Now to apply I only have to send a tell to an leader?
I think you can right click on anybody with the GAF tag and look up FC information and apply through there.

WolvenOne

Wait... what? Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy are completely gone?

I have one day left, but I will re-sub again. Looks like a lot things have changed, I'm literally the only one running around in full Darklight set. People are laughing at me.

Don't feel bad, the bulk of content even now can be done in full darklight, and it doesn't take very long to upgrade these days.

Just run Crystal Tower a few times, to grab some ilvl80 gear and Myth tome. Then you can either start saving up for Myth Tome armor, or run the first few turns of Coil for ilvl90 gear.

Or you can just Vanity your artifact armor, that works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom