• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Are you taking into account stats from all of the other ilvl 100 gear? Accuracy probably drifted somewhere else in the shuffle.

Edit: New gear sets means you need to let old things go, your stats aren't going to be optimal for awhile again and if you don't realize that, you're going to be left behind.

I'm taking over all stats into account, using the tools available on XIVdb.

Bottom line is this. I can get away with a little less Perry since newer gear has higher base defense, but I can't get away with less accuracy. The cap in turn six means I'll start missing bad if I don't keep my accuracy stats up.

None of the ilvl 100 weapons that are immediately available have accuracy, and accessories have no real base defense stats, the ilvl on them is largely ornamental.

So a higher ilvl accessory isn't always better. Where as higher level armor is almost always at least slightly better.

WolvenOne

On the lack of learning groups for Leviathan Extreme mode.

If you are a DPS, just go in with a Gaf group where everyone else knows the fight. Ninty percent of the fight is just knowing how to dodge Levis attacks, and if everybody else knows how to do that, it's a lot easier to pick up on it your self. When everyone is running around like mad, that's when it's hard to learn his attack pattern.

BadRNG

I'm taking over all stats into account, using the tools available on XIVdb.

Bottom line is this. I can get away with a little less Perry since newer gear has higher base defense, but I can't get away with less accuracy. The cap in turn six means I'll start missing bad if I don't keep my accuracy stats up.

None of the ilvl 100 weapons that are immediately available have accuracy, and accessories have no real base defense stats, the ilvl on them is largely ornamental.

So a higher ilvl accessory isn't always better. Where as higher level armor is almost always at least slightly better.
I'd like the Mog tank neck because options are good. You may not be able to spare the accuracy in your current gear, but that could easily change even with one or two new pieces. I was a few points below t6 cap without food last week, now with tome chest and high allagan boots I am way above even the likely T9 cap without food.

Also unless you plan on holding onto i90 neck until you can get high allagan(which is T7 I think?) you're going to be forced to drop some accuracy since Noct doesn't have any either. And again like I said, you could end up getting pieces that make it so you don't need accuracy on that neck. If you don't have any alternatives at that point you are wasting stats.

I completely agree ilevel isn't everything, but this isn't like the garuda ring where both secondary stats are crap, acc/parry are not the only combo that works for tanks. Sometimes you have to pick one or the other, but which one will change wildly based on your current gear, so having multiple options on hand is best way to play it.

Sorian

Banned
There's the voice of reason I was waiting for, I wouldn't have been able to do that explanation since I know all of nothing about tank gear in this game.

WolvenOne

I'd like the Mog tank neck because options are good. You may not be able to spare the accuracy in your current gear, but that could easily change even with one or two new pieces. I was a few points below t6 cap without food last week, now with tome chest and high allagan boots I am way above even the likely T9 cap without food.

Also unless you plan on holding onto i90 neck until you can get high allagan(which is T7 I think?) you're going to be forced to drop some accuracy since Noct doesn't have any either. And again like I said, you could end up getting pieces that make it so you don't need accuracy on that neck. If you don't have any alternatives at that point you are wasting stats.

I completely agree ilevel isn't everything, but this isn't like the garuda ring where both secondary stats are crap, acc/parry are not the only combo that works for tanks. Sometimes you have to pick one or the other, but which one will change wildly based on your current gear, so having multiple options on hand is best way to play it.

I'm not planning to hold onto the ilvl90 accessories forever. They are merely the best of the options that are immediately available.

I'm not downing second coil turns just yet, so those options are few. As soon as I do start clearing turns, my options will expand exponentially.

And I do want to clear King MOG Extreme, but it'd mainly be for the accomplishment, and to help fellow players gear up. I'd take the Fending Ribbon, it just isn't an immediate priority.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally got all 12 atmas. Never again!

atma.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I was an original member of the GAF fc, how do I get back in? I have an account on their site but nothing points me towards getting back in.

Sorian

Banned
If I was an original member of the GAF fc, how do I get back in? I have an account on their site but nothing points me towards getting back in.

Find someone from GAF in game and get into their free company profile, you can submit an application that pings the entire guild and if an officer is on, they'll shoot out an invite, if not, it'll just sit on their page until one logs in.

Noi

There IS an Atma in East Shroud, right? It's taking me longer to get this single one than it took me to get every atma in La Noscea and the rest of the Shroud combined and its driving me nuts.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Find someone from GAF in game and get into their free company profile, you can submit an application that pings the entire guild and if an officer is on, they'll shoot out an invite, if not, it'll just sit on their page until one logs in.
Great...and since I'm clueless, what's the preferred way to try and dungeon with FCers? What's the best way to communicate?

suzu

Got my new pc all set up. Client updating so slow..

Anybody have a link to where all the new 2.2 stuff are? :eek:

Sorian

Banned
Great...and since I'm clueless, what's the preferred way to try and dungeon with FCers? What's the best way to communicate?

Ask in guild chat, the response you will receive will range from "am i on everyone's ignore list?" to people falling all over themselves to help you. It all depends on time of day, what other people are running, and how much other people know you (if you know you want to do stuff with the FC then you should be willing to help others when they ask and you are able).

Finally downed Titan EX!
Overcome with joy.
Heart pounding.
Dying, send help.

Thanks to: Silent, Auli, Avelle, Raijinken, Master Xtech, Galen and Schnee!

And Hydalyn for the echo. orz

mattiewheels

Ask in guild chat, the response you will receive will range from "am i on everyone's ignore list?" to people falling all over themselves to help you. It all depends on time of day, what other people are running, and how much other people know you (if you know you want to do stuff with the FC then you should be willing to help others when they ask and you are able).
I'm only lv22 right now, hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances of getting FCers to dungeon with...

Got really lucky today, did one FATE near Camp Overlook and got the Atma. Not much luck in the other areas but I only farmed for like 30 minutes.

I really need to beat EM Titan and Ifrit before everyone has farmed them to death and loses interest in doing them.

Are any of the crafted pieces for healer any good? Seems useless gearing out my main when I'm only doing Coil on my alt/old character.

Teknoman

Proud owner of zantetsuken, first try too! Thanks again Devil Gunlady and everyone else who took me along for the battle.

That being said, Odin really shouldnt be a FATE. Really deserves to be a trial and i'm sure they'll delve deeper into his story of who summoned him/why/how the seal was broken in the shroud.

"I am a god amongst men, yet here I stand a man amongst gods."

Whats up with that?

MechaX

Man, so close on the Atmas.

I would rather just get the Leviathan weapons, but I feel like the lack of accuracy for a lot of these bard weapons will bite me in the ass in late 2nd Coil.

Wilsongt

I finally dinged 50 on my WHM! Now I can start outfitting him and not have to worry about using SCH anymore, though I do find SCH fun.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Proud owner of zantetsuken, first try too! Thanks again Devil Gunlady and everyone else who took me along for the battle.

That being said, Odin really shouldnt be a FATE. Really deserves to be a trial and i'm sure they'll delve deeper into his story of who summoned him/why/how the seal was broken in the shroud.

"I am a god amongst men, yet here I stand a man amongst gods."

Whats up with that?

You know, been on a month, have yet to see Odin. I know it's a few days between appearances, but is there a general schedule to plan for?

Ken

You know, been on a month, have yet to see Odin. I know it's a few days between appearances, but is there a general schedule to plan for?

Used to be that people would shout about it and announce it in the FC whenever Odin was up, but now no one really cares about poor old Ody.

WolvenOne

Two Atma's to go, six hours of Atma farming tonight, and intermittent Atma farming throughout the day. I should be farming Myth instead, so that I can immediately grab the book once I get my Atma's, but...

....The Atma's being unpredictable, also makes it difficult not to try to just barrel through them. If it's content that I know I can complete later, I can measure it out, but since ANY fate could be the one to drop your Atma, it's hard not to do more and more and more, hoping that the next one drops what you need.

Again, I don't think the underlying concept of using Fate's to upgrade your weapon is a bad one, and I don't mind it being a little grindy, but it's just too random. Hopefully the next time they try something like this, they tone down the randomness a bit somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom