• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

/sdance .webm!!
http://a.pomf.se/rmbtox.webm

the .gif of this was around 9 mb o.o converted to .webm and then uploaded. now around 700kb.

Dunno how to get it to loop though. (check out the webm threads in OT and gaming side for extensions to embed on GAF)

Ok, loops automatically once you hit play (using the FF greasemonkey script). It's bigger than I recorded it though (maybe due to the dimensions and how it makes the width 500px?)

Qvoth

Second part of Crystal Tower, and Frontlines PvP are both confirmed.

Hard Mode Gilgamesh, Personal Housing, and Gold Saucer are unconfirmed but heavily implied.

i've never heard of frontlines pvp, what's that about?
HM gilgamesh would be freakin awesome, that fight was funny

BLCKATK

So as a SMN...what can I do to increase my dps? I always make sure to keep my primary dots up and I refresh them whenever they drop off and I use Rouse and Spur when they are up as well...and my dps still seems to be too low for stuff with a dps check! Send help please.

I have no idea how people are hitting over 300 dps when I barely sniff 230.

Maximizing your off GCD skills when you are on GCD is pretty essential. And if a bard can manage it for you (they absolutely should be able to), Foe Requiem can increase your dps by 20%. Just make sure to apply your DoTs as soon as you see the symbol on the enemy, any before will not be affected by Foe Requiem.

Ken

So as a SMN...what can I do to increase my dps? I always make sure to keep my primary dots up and I refresh them whenever they drop off and I use Rouse and Spur when they are up as well...and my dps still seems to be too low for stuff with a dps check! Send help please.

do you even fester bro

Qvoth

with my new blm rotation, i can consistently reach 300 dps
thunder 2 > fire 3 > raging strikes > fire > when low mana (250+ mp) > swiftcast flare > convert > fire > blizzard 3 > thunder 2
use potions of intelligence to boost even more

for comparison, my static's monk reaches 380+ all the time

i just changed from 2.1 BiS into the new i90 crafteds (penta melds but with level 3 materias mostly)
cost me about 1 million+, i think they're a worthwhile investment (my team are on t8 and they're saying if you don't deal a certain amount of damage before 11 minutes it's over)
only have 250k+ gil now :(

nikos

I feel like WHMs got the shaft with gear in 2.2, at least in terms of Relic +2/3 and soldiery items.

I decided to buy soldiery gloves, since they're supposed to be BIS regardless of build, and lost Piety. After looking at other Soldiery items, it looks like we're going to lose a lot of Piety. I was excited to hit 5k MP, since I was at 49XX, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen until I get some High Allagan gear, which seems to be the best way to go for WHMs.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Quick question - what is the best way to make money now?
My current classes are BLM 50, PUG 50, MIN 26, Goldsmith 15.

Should I focus on leveling the crafting/gathering classes or is there something that can be done with a DoM/DoW?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Quick question - what is the best way to make money now?
My current classes are BLM 50, PUG 50, MIN 26, Goldsmith 15.

Should I focus on leveling the crafting/gathering classes or is there something that can be done with a DoM/DoW?

Watch the market for demand and price fluctuations. Get in front of the trends and buy/sell shit.

If you are a crafter your can buy things, craft them, and sell them for profit in some cases.

Qvoth

the new vanity gears are expensive as shit, i reckon it should be the same in all servers
i'm talking about the spring dresses, sailor uniforms, the winter clothings etc

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
the new vanity gears are expensive as shit, i reckon it should be the same in all servers
i'm talking about the spring dresses, sailor uniforms, the winter clothings etc

That's because they require some relatively rare materials. Rarity + demand = high prices.

Jayhawk

On Hyperion, I make about 130k profit from buying NQ materials and making a NQ Spring Dress. It does not sell often enough, so I rarely make them.

Right now, a good market for crafters is selling the HQ materials needed to get the new Master Recipe books. I am able to get 30k-55k profit from buying raw materials from the market board and then turning them into HQ Vanya Silk, HQ Hard Hippogryph Leather, etc.

Converting crafting gear into materia is also a good way of making gil right now, even the lower tier materias. You can put on some crafting gear when leveling up other classes and spiritbind away!

Outside of crafting, I finally decided to download a parser (ACT) and measure how well my i82 MNK is doing in Party Finder groups for Coil T2 runs and Titan Extreme attempts. Before I started parsing, I expected to be among the bottom but I am outparsing the majority of dps that are better geared than me. Not sure if I should be happy about the results or sad at the abilities of an average DPS.

Aeana

Please stop posting these. Not everbody is using Chrome and not everybody wants to kill their CPUs.
You're going to have to get used to it, it's definitely going to be the future. If not webm specifically, something similar.

lol well now im scared to click. Did read in the other thread something about it pushing a person's cpu to 90% usage.

I thought this was just using that extension that embedded all of them on a page. A single video should not have that effect.

Sophia

I thought this was just using that extension that embedded all of them on a page. A single video should not have that effect.

CPU usage is almost negligible as far as I can tell. For a single file, anyhow... Anyone using the extension deserves what they get. :\

Zomba13

Please stop posting these. Not everbody is using Chrome and not everybody wants to kill their CPUs.

I'm not using chrome either and if you don't click on them they don't play (without the extension/script they are just links) and they are tiny.

Also yeah, the CPU comments in the other thread were when people used the extention while on a page with a large amount of them running. At least, for me the CPU is only used when they are running (run the whole first page of the gaming side thread and got around 60% CPU+ on a i5 something or other 3.5GHZ with FFXIV also running on another screen).

so jealous right now :(

iyxs8ldFNoYNB.png

Hi guys and gals, total rookie question here.

Finally digging into post game content, but I'm not super up on what kind of changes happened in the last two big updates and how they change the ongoing quest for good equipment.

As somebody who has armor below lvl 50, what is the current best/fastest way to get lvl 50+ equips? Doesn't have to be the greatest stuff out there, but I'm sorta lost.

WolvenOne

Finally digging into post game content, but I'm not super up on what kind of changes happened in the last two big updates and how they change the ongoing quest for good equipment.

As somebody who has armor below lvl 50, what is the current best/fastest way to get lvl 50+ equips? Doesn't have to be the greatest stuff out there, but I'm sorta lost.

Fastest way to get main armor pieces that are acceptable for most end game content, is to run Crystal Tower a few times.

You may need some dungeon drops from other places before running CT though.

Sophia

Start acquiring Tomes of Mythology from Castrum, Praetorium, Trials, and all the hard mode dungeons. Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace should be doable with your current gear, and eventually you can move onto the other dungeons, which drop Darklight (ilevel 70) gear. Also start the Crystal Tower questline, as you can do that when your item level hits 55 and it awards item level 80 gear as well as a pretty decent chunk of Mythology. If you have a decent amount of money and/or leveled crafters, you can look into crafted stuff as well. Make sure you're doing the Duty Roulette whenever available, as most of those award Tomes of Mythology or Tomes of Solidery.

Do you have you relic quest started? If not, get started on that. It's pretty easy now that you can Duty Finder every step and there's a significant buff should you have to retry at any part.

Oh, and if you have any Tomes of Philosophy on you, trade them in at Revenant's Toll at the Tome vender for some Mythology. They're useless now, and you'll get 1 Myth for every 4 Philo.

Ken

More important to look at ilevels since all the gear you'll be getting from here on out are level 50 but with different item levels. Item levels determine stat weights on gear but general rule is higher item level is better.

At level 50 you can get level 50 gears around i60~i70 armor and accessories (Darklight and themed gear) in the new HM dungeons. You can get i80 gear from the current Crystal Tower. i90 gear comes from farmable myth tokens that you can get from running instances and dungeons. i90 gear can also come from the first Binding Coil which are 8 man instances.

Paprikka

I feel like WHMs got the shaft with gear in 2.2, at least in terms of Relic +2/3 and soldiery items.

I decided to buy soldiery gloves, since they're supposed to be BIS regardless of build, and lost Piety. After looking at other Soldiery items, it looks like we're going to lose a lot of Piety. I was excited to hit 5k MP, since I was at 49XX, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen until I get some High Allagan gear, which seems to be the best way to go for WHMs.

We do lose some, since some of the gear choices are now crit/piety or det/spell speed, but in full ilvl110 it'll only be 18 less piety. And you can always use daystar pants instead of allagan to get it all back plus some at the cost of a bit of spell speed.

Sophia

Feels weird they didn't add more crafted accessories.

I don't know why, but accessories always feel like one of the hardest things to get until you can start buying them with Tomes. Leveling up I find I end up purchasing a lot of accessories because they don't drop as often as other stuff in dungeons.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been taking a break from the game since December, so I kind of lost track of what the hell I was doing/supposed to be doing. Only just getting started on 2.1 content, though I did unlock CT and complete the first set of Hildibrand stuff.

Tash

We had some incredibly weird Levi Ex tries yesterday:

The phases were completely messed up. We had him skip the first proper jump phase all together. We had Tidal Wave - double adds, Tidal Wave - Mage add - Jump.

We also had double Tidal Waves including Adds while he jumped.

The only reason I could see is that we had two SMNs and the dots kept ticking on Levi during jump phases and any other phases that you normally can't damage him directly.

Paprikka

We had some incredibly weird Levi Ex tries yesterday:

The phases were completely messed up. We had him skip the first proper jump phase all together. We had Tidal Wave - double adds, Tidal Wave - Mage add - Jump.

We also had double Tidal Waves including Adds while he jumped.

The only reason I could see is that we had two SMNs and the dots kept ticking on Levi during jump phases and any other phases that you normally can't damage him directly.

High dps lets you skip his dive phase and go right on to the next adds or spumes. We tried a few runs with a single healer and we would go straight through to the first spume phase without him diving a single time.

Teknoman

When I hear this I keep wondering: Do the retainers have to be lvl 50 to bring this stuff back?

Someone in the FC had a level 12 bring back a mog bow.

I think it might have something to do with how well equipped they are too? Does their class have any effect on the weapons brought back?

Here are some tips for maximizing damage on SMN:

Try to use Fester/Bane/Aetherflow off of the GCD every single time they are cast. For example:

Bio II->Miasma->Bio(pause 1 second to let Bio connect)->Bane(OGCD)->Shadow Flare
OR
Bio->Bio II->Miasma->Ruin II>Fester(OGCD)->Shadow Flare.

When Fester or Aetherflow becomes available again, cast a Ruin II or Bio(if Bio is about to drop off), then Fester/Aetherflow off GCD.

Same goes for Rouse/Spur. I usually tap my Rouse/Spur spammable macro every time i cast Bio,I unless I'm already using that OGCD for Fester.

Try to anticipate when adds will spawn and have fresh dots ready to spread with Bane.

If there are multiple targets and they are spread out too far for Bane, it's usually a good idea to start by dotting each target separately before you start casting Ruin. Continue to prioritize reapplying dots as soon as they are about to drop off, on all enemies.
Don't bother reapplying dots if the enemy is going to die within 4 GCDs. Instead, finish it off with Ruin spam or cast dots on another enemy. This strategy especially applies to T1,T4, Ifrit EX, and Leviathan EX.

Don't discount the importance of spamming Ruin once all dots(including Shadow Flare) are up on the enemy. Ruin/Ruin II probably accounts for around 20% of your damage, so make sure you aren't slacking on it. You should be casting Ruin II when on the move or when in melee range for extra auto-attacks, as long as your mp allows for it.

-----
Along with that general strategy, come up with good opening rotations based on the enemy configuration.

These are what i use in general. Skills used off of the GCD are in parenthesis:

Single Target regular enemy--Bio(Rouse), Bio II, Miasma, Ruin II(Fester), then either Shadow Flare or go straight to Ruin II spam depending on remaining hp left

Single Target boss--Bio(Rouse,Spur, Raging Strikes), Bio II, Miasma, Ruin II(Fester, Enkindle), Shadow Flare, Miasma II, Bio(Contagion), Ruin II(Fester), Ruin I/II spam....You should be able to fit both Festers into the Raging Strikes buff time. I realize i have 3 OGCD skills in a row at the start, but i prefer to cast those in sequence in this case, so i can get started with dots faster.

Multi-Target--Swiftcast Shadow Flare(Rouse), Bio II, Miasma, Bio(Contagion), Miasma II(Bane)....spam Blizzard II until Fester is up, when Fester is up use Ruin II(Fester) or Miasma II(Fester) depending on how many enemies are still at high hp.

That's about all I can think of. I'm Lenia Dossot in GAF. Feel free to chat with me ingame too :)

WolvenOne

Finished my Atma's and got started on my first book today, after grinding up enough Tomes on Brayflox HM.

I have some mixed feelings on the new Bravura design. On one hand, it looks maybe a little tacky and gruesome. On the other, the color combination really works, that red really pops.

So it was just a Red pattern I think I'd love it.

PS: How long would it take me to level a miner from 18 to 50? I kinda want a specific money making class.

Tash

Finished my Atma's and got started on my first book today, after grinding up enough Tomes on Brayflox HM.

I have some mixed feelings on the new Bravura design. On one hand, it looks maybe a little tacky and gruesome. On the other, the color combination really works, that red really pops.

So it was just a Red pattern I think I'd love it.

PS: How long would it take me to level a miner from 18 to 50? I kinda want a specific money making class.

You'll get more shiny!
xaRkCyh.png

I did this recently. If you've got leves, money, and cordials, it takes no time at all. Just spam evaluation leves that are higher than your current level all the way to 50 - I was averaging about 25% a level per leve, even at 49. (You get a huge bonus for maximum evaluation, and the cordial helps you get the speed bonus since you'll be using a lot of GP.) Make sure your equipment is up to date, convert the stuff that's spirit bonded and either save the materia or sell it.

Ninja edit: There will be unavoidable times where you'll need to sit around to recover GP, and it's not the most exciting thing to level all at once, so having something on TV or a chat in FC/LS helps. :V

J-Rod

3 days of farming central shroud, and I still haven't got the first atma drop. I'm starting to wonder if I forgot to do something. Up in arms is in my completed quest log under side story quests and I have a zenith relic equipped. That's all there is to it, right? ; ;

kaioshade

3 days of farming central shroud, and I still haven't got the first atma drop. I'm starting to wonder if I forgot to do something. Up in arms is in my completed quest log under side story quests and I have a zenith relic equipped. That's all there is to it, right? ; ;

Nothing wrong, atma farming is just flat out brutal. I got my first atma in 5 minutes. Havent gotten a second one yet.

Ultrabum

That's all there is to it as far as I know.

Took me 9 hours to see my first one :(

tenchir

Not to rain on your parade for people waiting for the nerf to atmas drop rates, but it is likely that SE will only increase the drop rate in response to the lower amount of people participating in FATEs. They probably chose a low percentage drop rate in the first place because they know that there will be an enormous amount of players participating in atma farming early on.

When I was farming atmas the first 3-4 days after 2.2 to complete my zodiac atmas, we were rushing and completing FATEs so quick because there were so many of players farming. Now as I am doing my dailies and completing my atmas book, I am noticing that the amount of players farming atmas has noticeably dropped off.

So once SE increase the drop rate, the time you save because of lower numbers of FATEs grinding would probably be canceled out by the amount of time it takes to complete those FATEs. Of course this long grind will probably only last till the next upgrade level for the relic weapon, that's when i think SE will significantly increase the drop rates or change to some sort of variable drop rate mechanics to make grinding more tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom