• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll mention one thing about FurMark. Nvidia specifically throttles FurMark for a reason. You can kill video cards with FurMark if you aren't careful. Watch your card closely while this is happening as it will get very hot. On my GTX 680 Lightning with it's custom cooling solution I was hitting 90C with FurMark with fan at 100%. This sort of damage won't be covered by your warranty. You've been warned.

Paprikka

Some bloggish questoions:

I finally reached Level 50 with my main job and am pretty pumped for the end-game stuff! Castrum Meridianum was anticlimactic as I joined a party in progress and only got to participate in one of the last three battles -- everyone else skipped the cutscene and started before I could get in. Had a nice view from behind the paling, or whatever that barrier is called.

I'd really like to do it again from the beginning, and in retrospect, I shouldn't have allowed "join party in progress". I did get in once from the beginning yesterday, and somehow it was a 4-DPS party with no healers or tanks. We gave it a valiant try, with the melee DPS forcing the enemies to chase him all over the place and with me serving as healer in a putting-your-second-baseman-on-the-mound kind of way, but eventually we were overwhelmed. Fun to try, though!

The final story dungeons are much more fun if you watch the cutscenes. Even if you don't go back and do Castrum Meridianum, I would try and form a full group of people before going into the next one so you don't risk getting stuck in a group trying to rush through. Either asking in FC chat or putting up a party finder group saying you want to watch the cutscenes will get people that will help or first timers wanting to watch as well.

Now how do you get into the level-50-only dungeons? I visited Amdapor and the Pharos in person, and there was no option to enter or to use Duty Finder to enter. Helpful fellow gaffers in chat said that there are people out in the world who will tell youabout these places as part of a quest; how are you supposed to find them? Eorzea is a prettty big place... or do I have to finish the main story before those quests will show up? Because I'd gladly do the rest of the story first if that's what's requierd.

Generally yes, you have to finish the main story before you can start unlocking the max level dungeons. After that, going to Aleport will let you start the quest to unlock Pharos Sirius and I believe Vesper Bay has the Amdapor Keep quest.

Also, I finally found a way to dispose of the large number of unsellable Aetherial (pink icon background) weapons I'd been picking up in the dungeons: the Immortal Flames will give me seals for them. But is there a better-compensated way to unload them?

If you've been wearing the item and have it at 100% spiritbond you can convert it into materia, some of which sell pretty well.

dramatis

Now how do you get into the level-50-only dungeons? I visited Amdapor and the Pharos in person, and there was no option to enter or to use Duty Finder to enter. Helpful fellow gaffers in chat said that there are people out in the world who will tell youabout these places as part of a quest; how are you supposed to find them? Eorzea is a prettty big place... or do I have to finish the main story before those quests will show up? Because I'd gladly do the rest of the story first if that's what's requierd.

Also, I finally found a way to dispose of the large number of unsellable Aetherial (pink icon background) weapons I'd been picking up in the dungeons: the Immortal Flames will give me seals for them. But is there a better-compensated way to unload them?
All level 50 dungeons minus Castrum Meridianum, Praetorium, and Sunken Temple of Qarn are optional. To gain access to these dungeons, you will need to do certain quests.

Pharos Sirius quest is given by NPC Diamanda in Aleport, with quest name "Sirius Business".

Amdapor Keep quest can be picked up from a fellow called Nedrick Ironheart standing outside the Waking Sands (where your story friends constantly are) in Vesper Bay, Western Thanalan.

Ideally, you can equip those pink background weapons/armor and spiritbond with them to 100%, at which point you can convert them into materia. Otherwise, the only way to get rid of them is at your Grand Company (you can offload them at the GC HQ, or at the various GC Leve people you see at certain camps around Eorzea). If you cannot equip the gear (it's for a class you don't have), then offload them. The seals can buy items, in your case being BLM or WHM you can spend them on Potash to bother some GAF FC crafters into making you one of these:
Conjurer_Class_Artwork_ARR.jpg
Which is decent equipment to go into the hard mode primals with. The staff is white mage only though.

IMBored

What's the best thing to spend 10-15m doing? That's all the time my PS3 hangs on before kicking the fans to the max. I'm thinking just doing some crafting and trying to fulfill company requests.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It really does sound like the GPU is the problem. Usually CPU or memory instability results in hard locks.

Let's try this. Download MSI Afterburner and install it with the MSI Kombustor app. We're going to make your GPU do the equivalent of atma farming. Open up Afterburner to monitor your clocks and temps and start Kombustor. Nvidia GPUs have a soft throttle which you must defeat to make the test valid, I'll leave the details on your card to you as each model is different on how to defeat it. Now open Kombustor and set it to OpenGL3, burn test, windowed any resolution you can see the Kombustor window and Afterburner. Make sure Vsync is off. Start Kombusting.

Now you're going to watch TV or read a book or play 3DS or Vita. The card should hit a higher temperature than you have ever seen in less than 15 minutes. Let it go for at least 3-4 hours. If it doesn't cause a driver crash in that time frame let me know.

For anyone that cares, MSI Kombustor is FurMark.

I will definitely give this a shot. I would love rule out or confirm the GPU as the fault as I could be assured the money would solve the problem.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'll mention one thing about FurMark. Nvidia specifically throttles FurMark for a reason. You can kill video cards with FurMark if you aren't careful. Watch your card closely while this is happening as it will get very hot. On my GTX 680 Lightning with it's custom cooling solution I was hitting 90C with FurMark with fan at 100%. This sort of damage won't be covered by your warranty. You've been warned.

Is there a specific temp range or flag to when I should terminate the test to avoid damage? Or am I just watching for crashes?

I will definitely give this a shot. I would love rule out or confirm the GPU as the fault as I could be assured the money would solve the problem.

Just remember, if it's getting too hot abort the test. There is a hard throttle which will throttle back and cause a driver reset on overheat but don't rely on it. There are other things in a card you can trash like VRMs and they will reject your RMA if they find a burned up VRM on your returned card. If you're in the 70-80C range you're fine. I wouldn't blast FurMark on a card hitting 90C for hours, you're asking for trouble. I won't take responsibility for destroyed video cards.

Moobabe

Can someone link me to the list of patches since launch please? I fancy reading through what's changed since I hit max level

Edit

Also - I own both the PS3 and PC versions - do I get access to the PS4 version automatically? I might resub if I do

Teknoman

Yeah i'm going to move to Nvidia once I get ready to upgrade again. Tired of so many day one Radeon issues that you either have to dive deep to fix, or play the waiting game.

That being said, i've never had issues with XIV, even back in the pre-dalamud days, so I guess thats something.

WolvenOne

Yeah i'm going to move to Nvidia once I get ready to upgrade again. Tired of so many day one Radeon issues that you either have to dive deep to fix, or play the waiting game.

That being said, i've never had issues with XIV, even back in the pre-dalamud days, so I guess thats something.

More near term though, I'm moving upto an SSD, mostly for this game in fact. While loading screens aren't a huge issue, there are times when they're annoying.

Last straw was the Atma grinding in Upper LaNoscea. Every time I ferried across the lake it felt like I lost a few seconds, and there were times when I got onto the ferry first but the person right behind me reached the fate before me, because of the slight difference in loading times.

Not a huge deal, but it put me over the edge. Plus I don't have to completely rebuild my machine for that particular upgrade.

Aeana

Can someone link me to the list of patches since launch please? I fancy reading through what's changed since I hit max level

Edit

Also - I own both the PS3 and PC versions - do I get access to the PS4 version automatically? I might resub if I do
You can do a one time upgrade of your PS3 license to PS4. It's free, but you then lose access to the game on PS3.

Dunan

Somewhere, there's an NPC that start a side mission that ends with opening up those dungeons. I want to say, he's an NPC that's outside of the Walking Sands in Vesper bay.

Thanks for this, and thanks also to Paprika and Dramatis for filling in the rest of my queries. The story is calling to me so I think I'll try to finish that before doing anything else. My conjurer level is at 35 and I have a hankering to kepe building my skills as a healer because it's so much more fun. Might keep doing that and then take on the postgame dungeons that way.

dramatis

You ready?

Patch 2.1
Patch 2.15
Patch 2.16
Patch 2.2

If you skim, it won't take you an hour, but if you sit down and go through them, it'll easily be that long.

Content-wise, what you need to know is:
  • Additional story in 2.1 leading to Mog King fight
  • Additional story in 2.2 leading to Leviathan fight
  • Completely new dungeons: Pharos Sirius, Lost City of Amdapor
  • New hard mode dungeons: Haukke Manor, Copperbell Mines, Halatali, Brayflox's Longstop
  • New 24-man 'raid' Labyrinth of the Ancients (known as Crystal Tower)
  • New 8-man raid Second Coil of Bahamut, with 4 stages
  • Garuda, Titan, Ifrit, Mog King, and Leviathan Extreme Modes
  • Two episodes of the Hildibrand side story, leading to a special fight at the end of episode 2
  • Free company housing and gardening
  • Master crafting recipes
  • New fantastic amazing upgrade your relic even more quest
  • Beast tribe side stories and daily quests
  • Sitting while you fish and bigger fishing, it's whale level now
  • Treasure maps for crafting material rewards and moneys
  • PVP Queues for PVP
I'm probably forgetting a bunch of things, but this is the gist of what has been added. There's some new features as well, such as the party finder and challenge log.

Thanks for this, and thanks also to Paprika and Dramatis for filling in the rest of my queries. The story is calling to me so I think I'll try to finish that before doing anything else. My conjurer level is at 35 and I have a hankering to kepe building my skills as a healer because it's so much more fun. Might keep doing that and then take on the postgame dungeons that way.
You may regret playing healer when you hit the hard mode primals.

plake

Thanks very much - can I do that now? Or do I have to wait until the game launches proper?

On or after the 11th. Details to be announced.

Edit: Could anyone resourceful let a noob know which daily quests I would need to keep tabs of and at what lv approx I should/could start doing them?
I already know of the daily duty roulette which is crazy good exp.

Thanks very much - can I do that now? Or do I have to wait until the game launches proper?

The campaign starts at april 11 and you'll be able to upgrade through your MogStation.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn PlayStation®4 Upgrade Campaign
Users currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn on PlayStation®3 are eligible to upgrade to the PlayStation®4 version starting April 11, 2014.
* Purchase of the PlayStation®4 version is not required to upgrade. Please be aware that after transferring to the PlayStation®4 you will be unable to play using your current copy of the PlayStation®3 version.
* Please note that after completion, the upgrade process cannot be undone.
* Users may upgrade free of charge via the Mog Station.
* Users must first register the PlayStation®3 version to their FINAL FANTASY XIV service account before upgrading.
* Upon completing the upgrade process, a PlayStation®4 system will be required to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.
* All FINAL FANTASY XIV service account data including characters and in-game items will be carried over upon upgrading to the PlayStation®4 version.
* Users who wish to play on both the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 must purchase a separate copy of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn for the PlayStation®4.
* The upgrade campaign will be offered from April 11, 2014 until December 31, 2014.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/ps3_users/

Healing is fun except when the dps refuse to avoid...avoidable damage. Then it can become hairy. Then again, my proudest moments as WHM were when the other healer either DCed or just died in HM primal trains and I was forced to solo heal. Solo healing HM Titan can be crazy

And of course, there is never a bloody SMN around to revive folks

Aeana

Healing is fun except when the dps refuse to avoid...avoidable damage. Then it can become hairy. Then again, my proudest moments as WHM were when the other healer either DCed or just died in HM primal trains and I was forced to solo heal. Solo healing HM Titan can be crazy

And of course, there is never a bloody SMN around to revive folks
These are moments where good healers can become great healers. It can be stressful, but being placed in very difficult situations tends to have great results for healing proficiency for people, I find.

Ken

These are moments where good healers can become great healers. It can be stressful, but being placed in very difficult situations tends to have great results for healing proficiency for people, I find.

I really need to gear up a healer and learn how to heal end game stuff.

I'm basically solo-healing when I consider how often I get partnered with shitty healers.

Speedrunning Caduceus, the other SCH dies, now I have to juggle healing two tanks in opposite sides of the room while not summoning any slimes. It was kinda fun.

Also after so many CT runs, I'm kinda battle hardened when it comes to bad groups

Khatoz

See this is why I grab half the instance in one pull, I want you to be a greater healer!

WolvenOne

BTW, something occurred to me last night.

I've said that the quest-line for the next step in the Relic weapons was likely left out because it probably wasn't ready in time for 2.2. Well, it occurred to me that, that's probably wrong.

I think it's more likely that, in order to make it so iLvl actually means something, the developers made it functionally impossible to get ilvl100+ equipment without clearing at least clearing one turn of Coil, probably multiple times.

Yeah, they'll unlock the quest line to make your Animus a Zodiac or whatnot, but not until a suitable amount of time has passed for the difference between Coil players and non-coil players to become apparent in the iLvl.

Sorian

Banned
Can't deny it

But hey, at least they don't hear a peep about it. I make sure to never vent my frustrations in chat. That's what my LS buddies are for.

You and I are cut from different cloth. I make sure someone knows if they are particularly bad at something because it may fall on deaf ears but it may also make them improve. It helps with the overall quality of random players on the server which is kind of needed, at least on Ultros, because we have an ugly cancer with these carry groups that help people through the high level fights for money. It ends up breeding players that have high level gear but no real strength in playing their character.

Ken

BTW, something occurred to me last night.

I've said that the quest-line for the next step in the Relic weapons was likely left out because it probably wasn't ready in time for 2.2. Well, it occurred to me that, that's probably wrong.

I think it's more likely that, in order to make it so iLvl actually means something, the developers made it functionally impossible to get ilvl100+ equipment without clearing at least clearing one turn of Coil, probably multiple times.

Yeah, they'll unlock the quest line to make your Animus a Zodiac or whatnot, but not until a suitable amount of time has passed for the difference between Coil players and non-coil players to become apparent in the iLvl.

nooooooooooooooooooo way

WolvenOne

nooooooooooooooooooo way

Heh, why is this so hard to believe? The max level you can get for equipment without going into Coil is ilvl99, (because of the ring,) so any ilvl above that must mean at least one Second Coil Turn-Clear per ilvl.

Given how fool proof this is, it's hard to believe it wasn't intentional.

chrono01

Good grief, Turn 7 looks absolutely crazy
It's a lot more enjoyable than Turn 6. Less RNG to deal with [briar locations, especially spawning under the boss, as well as Slugs not feeding properly despite having all three Slimes stacked perfectly on top of each other] make for a much better encounter. We're trying Turn 7 again tonight, although we only have a single lockout since a member has to leave early, but I'm already excited.

The actual area is amazing to look at, as well. Such incredible art design.

Sorian

Banned
Heh, why is this so hard to believe? The max level you can get for equipment without going into Coil is ilvl99, (because of the ring,) so any ilvl above that must mean at least one Second Coil Turn-Clear per ilvl.

Given how fool proof this is, it's hard to believe it wasn't intentional.

I think you missed the sarcasm :p

Sorian

Banned
Sarcasm in text can be difficult for me to pick up.

No worries.

Personally, I agree with you for this patch. As time goes on though, I doubt this will be the case. The relic will eventualy be the weapon of choice by a wide margain. Come some patch update in the future.

WolvenOne

No worries.

Personally, I agree with you for this patch. As time goes on though, I doubt this will be the case. The relic will eventualy be the weapon of choice by a wide margain. Come some patch update in the future.

Assuming that the developers put in more options for equipment, it's hard to see people not edging beyond ilvl99 somehow, even if they're only doing it by farming the early turns.

That said, the good players are probably going to have a significant leg up, when it comes to reaching higher ilvls, for awhile.

You and I are cut from different cloth. I make sure someone knows if they are particularly bad at something because it may fall on deaf ears but it may also make them improve. It helps with the overall quality of random players on the server which is kind of needed, at least on Ultros, because we have an ugly cancer with these carry groups that help people through the high level fights for money. It ends up breeding players that have high level gear but no real strength in playing their character.
I try and give advice a couple times but am ignored more often than not so I just kind of gave up. It's really disheartening to try and organize SS and Eye for an Eye rotations with other Scholars only for them to waste Aetherflow stacks on Energy Drains, getting us wiped in stuff like Titan HM even at 5 Echo stacks, so most of the time I'll just end up cursing their entire lineage in my head while I politely cast a abandon duty vote.

Paprikka

Leviathan is probably my favorite primal so far and I feel the healing is pretty light compared to the others, have more time to dps. It's a good fight too for learning the distance on your aoe heals, feels good seeing medica II/galvanize hit the melee but not the offtank.

Taruranto

So glad I finished up my atma, the myth grind is going to suck though since I still have DL accessories that I need to upgrade with myth. I need like 3,000+ myth for that and a strength book :(

Shouldn't be so bad with Brayflox HM myth runs

Honestly, I think people who are going to grind Brayflox over and over are doing it wrong. New relic quest is a long-term objective, you are suppose to do it over the span of 3 months, by gathering myth with DR, Dailies, Exe, etc.

I mean, to each his own, but...

Honestly, I think people who are going to grind Brayflox over and over are doing it wrong. New relic quest is a long-term objective, you are suppose to do it over the span of 3 months, by gathering myth with DR, Dailies, Exe, etc.

I mean, to each his own, but...
Using all your myth over the course of 3 months to get a weapon that might be obsolete by the time you get it isn't much of an objective if you ask me.

Sorian

Banned
Using all your myth over the course of 3 months to get a weapon that might be obsolete by the time you get it isn't much of an objective if you ask me.

It's a long term weapon, it will be the best of the best at some point and when that time comes you will have to have done all of those steps beforehand. Would you rather do them all at once later or now?

OK so I've gotten my Marauder to lvl 31 and for the first time I'm not breezing through the game. I'm in gridania and I want to complete my hunting log. I'm missing just the last monster, but I can't find it. Then I see these Malboro lookalikes that have an icon on top so I should kill them, but don't have the same name as the monster I'm looking for.

Anyhow I tried to kill one and they're only lvl 31, but I got massacred. Can you dodge the bad breath? The status effects it gives you are just too much.

Also I would like to know what skills you guys get from other classes. So far I have Second Wind, a few early ones from archer and the lvl 2 one from lancer (the one that gives slow). I don't really know what to go for.

Also my hotbar is now full and I've had to use 2 with not very good results. What is your controller setup like? What macros do you use? I'm just using the attack nearest enemy, mainly for fates, but I'm pretty clueless about that stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I have pretty decent gear. The HQ lvl 30 MRD set, no materia on it though, so I need to work on getting better with skills I think.

It's a long term weapon, it will be the best of the best at some point and when that time comes you will have to have done all of those steps beforehand. Would you rather do them all at once later or now?
I want to be done with it by then, but I don't want to take 3 months to do it lol - specially when some of these weapons are technically well, crap. Looking at you, Omnilex

If I'm going to have to spam fates over and over, might as well go the whole grindy way.

WolvenOne

OK so I've gotten my Marauder to lvl 31 and for the first time I'm not breezing through the game. I'm in gridania and I want to complete my hunting log. I'm missing just the last monster, but I can't find it. Then I see these Malboro lookalikes that have an icon on top so I should kill them, but don't have the same name as the monster I'm looking for.

Anyhow I tried to kill one and they're only lvl 31, but I got massacred. Can you dodge the bad breath? The status effects it gives you are just too much.

Also I would like to know what skills you guys get from other classes. So far I have Second Wind, a few early ones from archer and the lvl 2 one from lancer (the one that gives slow). I don't really know what to go for.

Also my hotbar is now full and I've had to use 2 with not very good results. What is your controller setup like? What macros do you use? I'm just using the attack nearest enemy, mainly for fates, but I'm pretty clueless about that stuff.

If I'm thinking of the correct attack, yeah Bad Breath can be dodged. Just be off of the AoE indicator on the ground before it disappears.

My cross class skills for War are, Second Wind, Feather Foot, Flash, Provoke, and Convalescence.

If you're level 31 it's probably time for you to unlock the Warrior class, which will greatly improve your stats. You can begin the process at the marauders guild in Limsa.

Sorian

Banned

You can dodge that bad breath. If you get hit, run away, the fight is over and you lost.

As for things to help you. You're over 30 now which means you need to become a warrior. I don't know which class needs to be leveled but one of the otehr ones needs to get up to 15, I THINK it is lancer but I'm not 100% sure.

I want to be done with it by then, but I don't want to take 3 months to do it lol - specially when some of these weapons are technically well, crap. Looking at you, Omnilex

If I'm going to have to spam fates over and over, might as well go the whole grindy way.

FATEs aren't even the grindy part of it.

WolvenOne

You can dodge that bad breath. If you get hit, run away, the fight is over and you lost.

As for things to help you. You're over 30 now which means you need to become a warrior. I don't know which class needs to be leveled but one of the otehr ones needs to get up to 15, I THINK it is lancer but I'm not 100% sure.

It's Paladin.

Lancer would make more sense but, it's Paladin. XD

It's Paladin.

Lancer would make more sense but, it's Paladin. XD

For a warrior I believe you need to level gladiator to 15. I always get hit by those round AoE attack even if I move away considerably. I know a tank is a magnet for hate, but I can't seem to dodge those kinds of attacks.

And thanks for the suggestions on the additional skills. I'd really like to know what your hotbar looks like.

WolvenOne

For a warrior I believe you need to level gladiator to 15. I always get hit by those round AoE attack even if I move away considerably. I know a tank is a magnet for hate, but I can't seem to dodge those kinds of attacks.

Yeah, Gladiator, sorry, it's easy to talk about those sorts of things interchangeably.

Anyhow, if you're out of the AoE indicators, and are still getting hit, you're likely lagging. D:

Alucrid

Banned
Leviathan is probably my favorite primal so far and I feel the healing is pretty light compared to the others, have more time to dps. It's a good fight too for learning the distance on your aoe heals, feels good seeing medica II/galvanize hit the melee but not the offtank.
As a DPS leviathan is shit since you can push some shitty phase changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom