• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phlebas

Banned
Still stuck on Titan Ex on my server, no one really does learning parties and the DF is hardly an option. I've never been in a group that got to the heart phase aside from one (DF that is)

Its getting hard to continue justifying a sub to this because I'm far behind many people now.

MechaX

So I'm thinking of either picking up a PS4, or building a PC to at least run this game a hell of a lot better than the PS3.

The PS4 would be the easiest and cheaper option, but there are not any games on the system that I really want to play and it would be tremendously awkward if I had to take a break from the game and had nothing to really play on it.

I guess where is a good place to really figure out the cheapest PC I can build to at least run this game at or near max at 60 fps (at least as long as it can, mount trains in Revenant Toil and other shenanigans aside)?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I'm thinking of either picking up a PS4, or building a PC to at least run this game a hell of a lot better than the PS3.

The PS4 would be the easiest and cheaper option, but there are not any games on the system that I really want to play and it would be tremendously awkward if I had to take a break from the game and had nothing to really play on it.

I guess where is a good place to really figure out the cheapest PC I can build to at least run this game at or near max at 60 fps (at least as long as it can, mount trains in Revenant Toil and other shenanigans aside)?

If you want 60 fps or near 60 fps expect the following at a minimum:
i5 - 3750k ($209)
Motherboard ($100)
8GB DDR3 1600 ($80)
Nvidia GTX 760 ($250)
750w Power Supply ($80)
500GB HDD ($50)

Sub Total $769 before taxes

Monitor ($200)
Mouse with MMO type buttons ($80)
Keyboard ($70)

Grand Total $1,119 before taxes

I left out Optical drive cost, aftermarket cooling cost, and case cost as those are optional and can vary by a huge margin.

Expect $1,500 for a pre-built solution after taxes.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I thought that at first too but no not really. The harder you dps, the better.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter if ads spawn during charges, just leave them alone until leviathan has settled down. It shouldn't cause any problems.

Ken

ivgSURB0XAJZA.png

Teknoman

These are moments where good healers can become great healers. It can be stressful, but being placed in very difficult situations tends to have great results for healing proficiency for people, I find.

DPS tanking in a pinch is a result of this too.

Yes I wont stop bragging about tanking the last half of Totorak boss as a monk.

Zomba13

So finally downed Titan ex and then Ifrit ex tonight thanks to the GAF super group.

Ifrit wasn't too bad once you got it down but Titan took a while. Just scrapped through on Titan and had the hypest moment playing FFXIV ever.

Teknoman

I had a round in Totorak where the tank couldn't keep aggro to save his life so I had to do the same as archer. Good times.

Yeah it wasnt idea, but kept the healer on her toes and made the battle a bit more exciting. I think alot of the new tanks or people just leveling a second job forget to use flash.

Kenai

I want to be done with it by then, but I don't want to take 3 months to do it lol - specially when some of these weapons are technically well, crap. Looking at you, Omnilex

If I'm going to have to spam fates over and over, might as well go the whole grindy way.

Omnilex is definitely mediocre stat wise for a so called legendary weapon, but looking at our other options, once it's upgraded it's going to probably be the best thing we have until the High Allagan stuff is obtainable. The Book of Diamonds and the Tidal book are...eh, and the T5 book is awesome but it's going to stay i95. If we can start adding extra stats like crit or +pet stats to it by the end of the chain I can see it definitely being worthwhile. I gotta admit, it's a lot of work for something that isn't anywhere near BiS atm though.

Sorian

Banned
Omnilex is definitely mediocre stat wise for a so called legendary weapon, but looking at our other options, once it's upgraded it's going to probably be the best thing we have until the High Allagan stuff is obtainable. The Book of Diamonds and the Tidal book are...eh, and the T5 book is awesome but it's going to stay i95. If we can start adding extra stats like crit or +pet stats to it by the end of the chain I can see it definitely being worthwhile.

The word was (someone said it was officially stated somewhere but you'll have to ask someone else for that) that once you get far enough long in the relic quest line (who knows how long though) you will be able to substitute out the secondary stats for whatever you would like. Eagerly awaiting my det/crit stardust rod.

Omnilex is definitely mediocre stat wise for a so called legendary weapon, but looking at our other options, once it's upgraded it's going to probably be the best thing we have until the High Allagan stuff is obtainable. The Book of Diamonds and the Tidal book are...eh, and the T5 book is awesome but it's going to stay i95. If we can start adding extra stats like crit or +pet stats to it by the end of the chain I can see it definitely being worthwhile. I gotta admit, it's a lot of work for something that isn't anywhere near BiS atm though.
Yeah, if when we get to the actual customization part and I can just throw that spell speed away for some crit or extra det, it'll become the best weapon ever

But yeah, we don't have much of a choice. At ilvl100 we get 3 whole flavors of garbage to choose from. Do you want Spell speed and Det or Piety and Det? And who could forget the absolute lovely what-the-fuck-where-they-thinking Book of Diamonds that combines the worst stats a SCH could ever want!

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, if when we get to the actual customization part and I can just throw that spell speed away for some crit or extra det, it'll become the best weapon ever

But yeah, we don't have much of a choice. At ilvl100 we get 3 whole flavors of garbage to choose from. Do you want Spell speed and Det or Piety and Det? And who could forget the absolute lovely what-the-fuck-where-they-thinking Book of Diamonds that combines the worst stats a SCH could ever want!

You're here for the MND boost, not shut up and take it!

Isaccard

If you want 60 fps or near 60 fps expect the following at a minimum:
i5 - 3750k ($209)
Motherboard ($100)
8GB DDR3 1600 ($80)
Nvidia GTX 760 ($250)
750w Power Supply ($80)
500GB HDD ($50)

Sub Total $769 before taxes

Monitor ($200)
Mouse with MMO type buttons ($80)
Keyboard ($70)

Grand Total $1,119 before taxes

I left out Optical drive cost, aftermarket cooling cost, and case cost as those are optional and can vary by a huge margin.

Expect $1,500 for a pre-built solution after taxes.

You don't need that much wattage, you can drop down to a 550w save a few bucks and be just fine. Though at $80 if you can afford it, why not.

That's not why you do it.

Whoosh.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You don't need that much wattage, you can drop down to a 550w save a few bucks and be just fine. Though at $80 if you can afford it, why not.

Whoosh.

The difference between 550 and 750 is $20 at best, but with the 750 he can have the option to SLI in the future.

Jayhawk

Ugh. I still can't find a group to beat Titan extreme... always one or two people screwing up. It does not help that a couple members from my coil group seem to be less active, since we never did beat T5 before 2.2 hit. Tonight is the first night I have seriously considered transferring servers.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
So finally downed Titan ex and then Ifrit ex tonight thanks to the GAF super group.

Ifrit wasn't too bad once you got it down but Titan took a while. Just scrapped through on Titan and had the hypest moment playing FFXIV ever.

grats! wish i was there too, stupid titan ex.

Moaradin

I managed to Kill Titan EX tonight with a random party finder group. It really surprised me how everyone knew what to do and stuck around after some bad luck. Two of our tanks disconnected multiple times during potential kills, but we got it in the end. Very fun fight. 5 people had first time kills, me included.

Hopefully Ifrit won't take as long to find a good group :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
2nd atma took me 30 minutes, only 10 (?) to go.
Tbh I prefer this type of grind to repeating the same 20-40 min dungeons (+10-30 min queue) over and over. Too bad that the second part of the zodiac quest requires exactly that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just remember, if it's getting too hot abort the test. There is a hard throttle which will throttle back and cause a driver reset on overheat but don't rely on it. There are other things in a card you can trash like VRMs and they will reject your RMA if they find a burned up VRM on your returned card. If you're in the 70-80C range you're fine. I wouldn't blast FurMark on a card hitting 90C for hours, you're asking for trouble. I won't take responsibility for destroyed video cards.

Kombuster ran for an hour with no crashes. Max temps achieved was 72 degrees with no crashes.

At this point I'm leaning towards my Motherboard/CPU.

Teknoman

Yup with party finder, or any party for that matter, people who are determined often make all the difference. Even if you're just learning, you cant expect to beat something when you quit at the drop of a hat.

jiggle

I want to see gear upgrades that are not pure numeric
and bring back 2HR abilities and gear swap

getting rid of notorious monsters was a great idea
don't bring them back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom