• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Limit Breaks essentially serve the same role two hours did anyhow. Plus every job has at least one long term (within the context of the game) cooldown anyhow.

I would like to see some of the redundancy in abilities dealt with however. Every class has at least one ability that is somewhat redundant, with the caster classes being the worst of the lot.

For example, why does their need to be two Stone abilities? Or two Ruin abilities? Surely they can be handled by traits instead?

I can't imagine how much stuffs will be included in a retail expansion. Hopefully we get some cool new jobs and new abilities for the old jobs.

Last night progression.
- our static was getting closer to beat Twintania, constantly reached the end of 3rd phase but still needed to work on snakes position so that tanks won't get debuff.
- Atma #9th!! Now 3 more to go!

edgefusion

So finally downed Titan ex and then Ifrit ex tonight thanks to the GAF super group.

Ifrit wasn't too bad once you got it down but Titan took a while. Just scrapped through on Titan and had the hypest moment playing FFXIV ever.

Yes! I was so on the cusp of abandoning the extremes for good after being stuck on Titan, then bamf! Titan ex and ifrit ex down in one night. So pleased with my Hellish Claws but RIP in peace my accuracy.

- Ravishan

Interfectum

Played the PS4 beta (and FF14 for the first time)... going lancer for now and eventually Dragoon I guess. Question how is Dragoon to play in the higher levels and is it a controller friendly class?

atmusfear

Played the PS4 beta (and FF14 for the first time)... going lancer for now and eventually Dragoon I guess. Question how is Dragoon to play in the higher levels and is it a controller friendly class?

Console player here, pretty easy class to play. The key is keeping Heavy Thrust up at all times and managing your rotations to keep dots up.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Group of us tried to do Garuda EX last night. My first time in there, as OT.

Yep, don't know if I'll do High End stuff as tank, will probably wait till I rank up a DPS class. Soooo many things to remember to do at the right points, or people gone die, and it's not even Titan EX or any of the Coil fights.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Yep, don't know if I'll do High End stuff as tank, will probably wait till I rank up a DPS class. Soooo many things to remember to do at the right points, or people gone die, and it's not even Titan EX or any of the Coil fights.

Then you won't like DPS or healing either.
You probably won't enjoy endgame raiding at all.

There isn't an easy way out, everybody needs to get good or get out.

Sophia

For what it's worth, Garuda EX is probably the hardest of the original three Extreme mode primal fights as a tank. Especially considering most players use the double Wicked Wheel method over other methods.

That said, all the Extreme Mode fights are hard and generally demand the best from their players. They are no place for a player who didn't learn their game and class while leveling, and didn't master it in hard modes.

For what it's worth, Garuda EX is probably the hardest of the original three Extreme mode primal fights as a tank. Especially considering most players use the double Wicked Wheel method over other methods.

That said, all the Extreme Mode fights are hard and generally demand the best from their players. They are no place for a player who didn't learn their game and class while leveling, and didn't master it in hard modes.

What I find hard is to get some feedback on exactly why you're failing. I've died in some dungeons as a tank and don't know if it was my fault or the healer's. Plus I find it really confusing to know if the DPS are doing a good job. In fact I find it pretty hard to know what's going all most of the time, but I'm still relatively new to the game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, as a tank, my attention is almost solely on the Mob, positioning and dodging AOE's. I can't keep up much on what the DPS or healer's are doing. If I'm still alive, Healers are doing their job as best as I know. If we beat the monster, then I know the DPS did something right.

Sophia

What I find hard is to get some feedback on exactly why you're failing. I've died in some dungeons as a tank and don't know if it was my fault or the healer's. Plus I find it really confusing to know if the DPS are doing a good job. In fact I find it pretty hard to know what's going all most of the time, but I'm still relatively new to the game.

Yeah. It is a side effect of being a new player, and something that comes with time and experience. I can recognize who is failing and why almost every time, but I have fifteen years of MMO experience as a tank and a healer. As well as multitasking skills that are inhumane by normal standards.

This is where a good static group comes in handy, I might add. Find one with a leader who both understands that you will make mistakes and is good at spotting them. Then you can simply focus on the fight and gradually obtain the experience that more veteran MMO players have.

You could also try leveling a different class. I find it's much easier to understand a fight once I've seen it both from a healer and a tank perspective, and Garuda EX was absolutely one of those fights. The same may prove true to you.

Yeah, as a tank, my attention is almost solely on the Mob, positioning and dodging AOE's. I can't keep up much on what the DPS or healer's are doing. If I'm still alive, Healers are doing their job as best as I know. If we beat the monster, then I know the DPS did something right.

Extreme mode Garuda has some subtle clues that the DPS and healers are doing their jobs right. For example, if the DPS are behind, then you'll start seeing things happen out of order. Such as Wicked Wheels happening before the teleport, and going through many more loops of the last two phases than is normal. As for healers, just look to see if they're Stoneskining and Adloqing you for Wicked Wheels and glance at the state of everyone's HP every so often. If they're doing okay, everyone should be stable. If not topped off.

Kombuster ran for an hour with no crashes. Max temps achieved was 72 degrees with no crashes.

At this point I'm leaning towards my Motherboard/CPU.

Damn, I thought I had found the problem. I still lean towards it being a GPU issue but it didn't blow up from Kombustor like most flaky GPUs will.

A new driver was just released by Nvidia, you should give it a try and see what happens.

If you really want to grit your teeth on rooting out CPU or memory problems, you can do the 24 Hours of Le Mans Prime95 and memtest86+.

Prime95 for 24 hours with Small FFTs and make sure to set the application priority to 9 or 10.

memtest86+ for 24 hours, some people like to loop certain tests but most just let it loop it's default test suite.

This really does mean your PC will not be available for 48 hours. I only ever do this once, when I've built a new PC and am testing my final daily use clocks because it's a pain in the ass. I've woken up to fails at the 16 and 20 hours marks where I know I have to lower my clocks just a bit and do it again for another 24 hours.

I'm so excited about the end game stuff. I'm a noob, but I love nerding out and the stress of multitasking.

Nothing like the stress of FFXI though. Being responsible for a whole team losing hours of time, experience and money was the worst.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Damn, I thought I had found the problem. I still lean towards it being a GPU issue but it didn't blow up from Kombustor like most flaky GPUs will.

If you really want to grit your teeth on rooting out CPU or memory problems, you can do the 24 Hours of Le Mans Prime95 and memtest86+.

Prime95 for 24 hours with Small FFTs and make sure to set the application priority to 9 or 10.

memtest86+ for 24 hours, some people like to loop certain tests but most just let it loop it's default test suite.

This really does mean your PC will not be available for 48 hours. I only ever do this once, when I've built a new PC and am testing my final daily use clocks because it's a pain in the ass.

I've done Memtest for 4 hours without any errors. Haven't tried a 24 hour marathon.
I will probably give that Prime95 a go.

Noi

Leveling up other jobs can be pretty valuable just to know what skills they have at their disposal, imo. Just a few months ago I couldn't tell you what any of the actions used by a Scholar, Summomer or Warrior were or what the icons behind their buffs/debuffs were, so it was impossible for me tell if they were doing a good job. Now that I've gotten most combat jobs to 50 (with BLM AND DRG as high as needed for Swiftcast and BFB), it's way easier for me to identify when a Summoner isn't spreading DoTs around with Bane, when a Scholar isn't using Lustrate/SS at all, etc.

I've done Memtest for 4 hours without any errors. Haven't tried a 24 hour marathon.
I will probably give that Prime95 a go.

Realistically if you have another video card on hand to test with I would put that card in and try that first instead of chasing CPU and memory issues which are often very hard to nail down especially if they are intermittent.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
4 atmas grinded, 8 to go. So far it's a cakewalk compared to older mmos.
Too bad that the mytho requirements are crazy if you're starting from scratch.

I'm so excited about the end game stuff. I'm a noob, but I love nerding out and the stress of multitasking.

Nothing like the stress of FFXI though. Being responsible for a whole team losing hours of time, experience and money was the worst.

Old school FFXI reminded me a lot of original Ever Quest. It was glorious.

WolvenOne

So, most Tanks bought the chest piece with their first few weeks of Soldiery Tomes. What are the GAF Tanks eyeing up next?

I'm personally tempted to grab the Weathered Noct Ring. After that I think I'll either start saving for the weapon, or grab the Pants piece. (No accuracy on that, but there's no accuracy on my current pants either.)

WolvenOne

The ring is probably the best investment since you'll have to get it eventually anyways

True, and until I get the Conqueror Axe I'm going to be fairly Accuracy starved while using any of the ilvl95-100 weapons available to me.

Granted, I've got to clear Turn 7 to get that blasted axe. >_<

Mairu

So, most Tanks bought the chest piece with their first few weeks of Soldiery Tomes. What are the GAF Tanks eyeing up next?

I'm personally tempted to grab the Weathered Noct Ring. After that I think I'll either start saving for the weapon, or grab the Pants piece. (No accuracy on that, but there's no accuracy on my current pants either.)

Probably the ring

Wilsongt

Looks like I will be picking up my Tutu this week and glamouring that shit directly into either the smn's doublet or Allagan casting tunic.

Paprikka

So apparently all 3 of my retainers got lost while going on a quick exploration.

G9CAXmm.png

Noi

Yeah, I slept on it a lot and the Noct Ring seems to be the way to go after getting the chest, since it's basically a better Hero's Ring of Fending. Will be nice for both my PLD (Main) and my WAR that I got to 50 last night, since I still haven't ever seen an Allagan ring drop.

Still using Darklight earrings and chocker because the higher ilvl alternatives to not-allagan would either drop my accuracy or have way worse parry...

WolvenOne

Yeah, I slept on it a lot and the Noct Ring seems to be the way to go after getting the chest, since it's basically a better Hero's Ring of Fending. Will be nice for both my PLD (Main) and my WAR that I got to 50 last night, since I still haven't ever seen an Allagan ring drop.

Still using Darklight earrings and chocker because the higher ilvl alternatives to not-allagan would either drop my accuracy or have way worse parry...

Allagan Ring of Fending doesn't have accuracy either, just a ton of Perry and some Skill Speed. So, yeah, the Weathered Noct Ring is overall better.

Teknoman

Honestly as a Tank, i dont think you should worry about what the dps are doing, As long as the healer is doing their job and you're doing your job, things should be ok. Dps on the other hand usually have a better view of both the tank and healer. Healers both the dps and the tank. Now in an 8 person battle, you can probably tell if the other tank is doing what they should be doing pretty easily.

It'll take some time and multiple trips to be fully aware of whats happening in a dungeon or battle, but what you are experience is normal.

Nah you'll be ok. As OT myself, it took a few tries (still havent beat it, but know the fight). The general plan is usually:

• Help damage Garuda at the start
  • Hide behind rocks for first blast
  • Help damage again and then beat up the feather plumes quickly
  • She creates two clones of herself (Chirada and Suparna). If I remember correctly, you snag aggro on Chirada immediately and pull her to the southern end of the area (compass helps)
  • Kill her while dodging slipstream (just move to the side) and then pull Suparna off the MT
  • Now more plumes including a special spiny plume. OT grabs aggro pulling it away from the party and beats it up a little, but only slowly
  • MT drags spiny away from OT and party kills after other plumes are dead, the spiny should explode into a forcefield to protect from super attack

Now from here its kinda fuzzy, but I think she splits again, and you do the same pull measures but now you have to move away from tornadoes. Apparently you can still move through the tornado if needed, just make sure its not flared up or whatever. Then repeat the same thing with spiny plume, except with the danger of tornadoes.

Thats about as far as I got last time before we got knocked out. It will take more than a few tries to learn the fight, and with better armor it gets abit less risky, but its nowhere near as detrimental as FFXI with level downs and people's faces exploding.

Yeah I got an extra one, I save too many things and the extra one helped me finally get everything organized.

How much are the extra retainers?

I find it a bit scummy that they charge for extra storage space. I can understand a limit for what you can have on your character, but limit what you can store in a safe spot? Really annoying.

Noi

Allagan Ring of Fending doesn't have accuracy either, just a ton of Perry and some Skill Speed. So, yeah, the Weathered Noct Ring is overall better.

Right, but that ton of parry is way better than Hero earrings/chocker that give /less/ parry than Darklight and no accuracy. Better than the Vortex Ring of Fending ive been forced to use cause nothing else will drop. :|

WolvenOne

BTW.

Can you vanity PvP armor, even if you can't wear it? If the animal themed armor for the next round of PvP looks even half as good as the art, it'll be worth jumping through some hoops to get it.

However, even if they fix their PvP, I don't see myself devoting a ton of time to it. So, I'd rather just buy the armor and set it to vanity, if possible. XD

Edit:

Can you blame me for wanting this? XD

Sorian

Banned
BTW.

Can you vanity PvP armor, even if you can't wear it? If the animal themed armor for the next round of PvP looks even half as good as the art, it'll be worth jumping through some hoops to get it.

However, even if they fix their PvP, I don't see myself devoting a ton of time to it. So, I'd rather just buy the armor and set it to vanity, if possible. XD

Edit:

I'd assume it still works the same. Only stuff wearable by your class?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Realistically if you have another video card on hand to test with I would put that card in and try that first instead of chasing CPU and memory issues which are often very hard to nail down especially if they are intermittent.

That would be ideal, but I don't have anybody around me that has a comparable card to test with.

BTW.

Edit:

I want that fox-tail so bad

Aeana

Yeah I got an extra one, I save too many things and the extra one helped me finally get everything organized.
I'll probably do this temporarily just so I can get everything organized. Don't want to pay for the extra one permanently though.

Nah you'll be ok. As OT myself, it took a few tries (still havent beat it, but know the fight). The general plan is usually:

• Help damage Garuda at the start
  • Hide behind rocks for first blast
  • Help damage again and then beat up the feather plumes quickly
  • She creates two clones of herself (Chirada and Suparna). If I remember correctly, you snag aggro on Chirada immediately and pull her to the southern end of the area (compass helps)
  • Kill her while dodging slipstream (just move to the side) and then pull Suparna off the MT
  • Now more plumes including a special spiny plume. OT grabs aggro pulling it away from the party and beats it up a little, but only slowly
  • MT drags spiny away from OT and party kills after other plumes are dead, the spiny should explode into a forcefield to protect from super attack

Now from here its kinda fuzzy, but I think she splits again, and you do the same pull measures but now you have to move away from tornadoes. Apparently you can still move through the tornado if needed, just make sure its not flared up or whatever. Then repeat the same thing with spiny plume, except with the danger of tornadoes.

Thats about as far as I got last time before we got knocked out. It will take more than a few tries to learn the fight, and with better armor it gets abit less risky, but its nowhere near as detrimental as FFXI with level downs and people's faces exploding.

I haven't unlocked any of the EX battles yet, but I'll keep your OT strategy in mind for when I eventually fight Garuda EX. I think attaining victory over the EX primals will be my next goal after unlocking and defeating Leviathan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom