• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

supergiz

Just a heads up. I got master Goldsmith and Carpenter yesterday. If anyone in the fc ever needs anything crafted just send me a tell in game. It's best to add me to your friends list and send a mog mail as that way I don't possibly miss your message due to being afk.

Teknoman

I don't think it's really worth getting more than 3-4 sands, we are getting new gears in 2 months or so anyway.

At least it's the best weapon in the ga... oh.

Is that the damn mountain from CoP mission?

Yup. Somehow Lonestar got pushed back off the side and had to start the climb again. We were going over some of the good points of XI, and while there are alot of things I really dont miss, open world travel challenges was not one. Hopefully the expansion or whatever large patches introduce some actual open world danger for high levels. Some places you just shouldnt be able to poke around unless you have a chocobo partner or one other person you know? Open world chests in random areas would be nice too.

dramatis

Alone time.

xgwzNfr.jpg

Probably scheming something in that little head.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Decided to take a break from doing animus on my DRG and started leveling ACN for a change of pace. Got ACN to 20, and I'm really enjoying the class.

Probably going to go SMN when I hit 30. I don't know if I'm going to hit 50 with it, but for now, I'm really enjoying it.

WolvenOne

Decided to take a break from doing animus on my DRG and started leveling ACN for a change of pace. Got ACN to 20, and I'm really enjoying the class.

Probably going to go SMN when I hit 30. I don't know if I'm going to hit 50 with it, but for now, I'm really enjoying it.

Probably going to start leveling another class soon myself. 2.3 unfortunately did not add much in the way of the sort of content I gravitate towards, so leveling another class or two is probably the smart thing to do in cases like this.

Besides, would be nice to have DPS options outside of DRG.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
From what we were talking about earlier:

j5GLFzcOmT3vU.png

j6TPo4nRXm8F6.png

goddammit Bloodberry...

Sadly, I think the Original Dunes bloodbath is lost to time, unless I can find it on my home PC (or someone else saved it). The storage site where I last used it died.

I did have some of this newer Dunes bloodbath

Lon090611221248a_zps56cef718.jpg

Lon090611221348a_zps144aab5d.jpg

tenchir

I played about 3 matches before Scything/Exelon got into one and earned four times as many (loss multiplier and FC buff not included) as many marks from losing all 3 than they did winning one

It really is funny that while immortal flames get dump on for the win/ratio records, in the end we do get more exp points. It really did backfire on those players who abandon IF for Mael for PVP.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When it comes down to it, people don't actually want pure RNG. They want predictable behavior, which results in a better experience for players overall. I mentioned this earlier in the FC chat but I think SE should look into Pseudo-Random Distribution for certain game systems, particularly Atma. A summary of how PRD works in DOTA2:

For each instance which could trigger the effect but doesn't, the PRD augments the probability of the effect happening for the next instance by a certain constant. This constant (which is also the initial probability) is usually quite low compared to the stated probability of the effect it is shadowing. This probability counter resets every time an instance of the effect occurs. Over a moderately large period of time, the expected probability for each instance is almost exactly the listed probability (but see the note below), and since the probability increases steadily for each time the effect doesn't happen (and resets when it does happen), the effect occurs more consistently.
Mind giving me a simplified run down of the post? I can't get the page to load on my phone.

"Blah blah blah mathematics blah blah blah stats blah blah cognitive biases blah blah it's all in your head dealwithit.gif."

Authority

Banned
Can someone explain Titan EX bomb pattern? I keep getting latency issues there and so it is hard not to get hit.

The first phaze is bomb in the center. What do I do there?

Then there is the landslide one which I don't understand either.

Generally I don't understand what I have to do with those bombs.

WolvenOne

They re-posted the forum post on reddit, so I was able to read it.

So, they're using True Random Number generators for thier RNG. That's more or less fine for equipment drops, those are more an issue with unwieldy loot tables than anything else.

For crafting though, that's a problem, because crafting isn't supposed to be truly random. If you have a 98 percent chance of HQing an item, craft it a hundred times, and you has significantly less than 98 HQed items, than the reported number is wrong and highly misleading.

That said, some failure, even at 90+ percent, is to be expected, so while the numbers in this game are almost certainly a bit misleading, I don't think they're all that far off.

Hard to say for certain, without larger samples to work with however.

WolvenOne

Can someone explain Titan EX bomb pattern? I keep getting latency issues there and so it is hard not to get hit.

The first phaze is bomb in the center. What do I do there?

Then there is the landslide one which I don't understand either.

Generally I don't understand what I have to do with those bombs.

Bombs explode based on which ones fell first. Go to the last bombs to fall, and run to a gap once the oldest bombs start to explode.

Landslides will ring out your character if you're hit by it. Simply stand outside the AOE indicators you see on the ground, before they disappear, so you don't get hit.

Authority

Banned
Bombs explode based on which ones fell first. Go to the last bombs to fall, and run to a gap once the oldest bombs start to explode.

Landslides will ring out your character if you're hit by it. Simply stand outside the AOE indicators you see on the ground, before they disappear, so you don't get hit.

Is it easy to see which bomb drops last? I never pay attention or seem to notice that...

Jayhawk

If you have a 98 percent chance of HQing an item, craft it a hundred times, and you has significantly less than 98 HQed items, than the reported number is wrong and highly misleading.

Hiroshi_Minagawa said:
Conversely, if the number of trials (sampling number) is low, bias arises in random numbers.

Crafting an item a hundred times is still a very low sample size. As somebody who has had level 50 in all crafts since November, their implementation of random numbers in crafting is fine in my opinion. Maybe it is because my statistics professor years ago hammered this point home, but I understand that 99% is never a guarantee.

Haly

If you have a 98 percent chance of HQing an item, craft it a hundred times, and you have significantly less than 98 HQed items, than the reported number is wrong and highly misleading.

No, this is just one potential result of a hundred crafts with 98% chance of HQ. "98% to HQ" doesn't mean 98 of your 100 crafts are guaranteed to be HQ. You're mistaking "probability" for "ratio".

Haly

My secret shame is that I have never taken a stats class.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
For crafting though, that's a problem, because crafting isn't supposed to be truly random. If you have a 98 percent chance of HQing an item, craft it a hundred times, and you has significantly less than 98 HQed items, than the reported number is wrong and highly misleading.

98% doesn't mean you're gonna end up with roughly 98 out of 100 success rate.
It means that every single attempt, separately, has 98% chance of a success.
Which also means 100% of attempts could fail.

On a side note, fuck Ramuh.

so after patch 2.3 where is the best place to farm sol tokens besides the hunts? im guessing any of the 3 new dungeons? i know they nerfed bray's output

Haly

I find Frontlines are good for Soldiery, especially if your queue is quick. They're usually 15 minutes long, and you're guaranteed 25 Soldiery, regardless of how your team places overall. If you don't actually care about winning, this is the most consistent and least frustrating source of Soldiery.

Lanrutcon

I'd rather talk about why the RNG is involved in crafting at all. I don't see raid bosses having a % chance to just not drop any loot at all. I bet that would get people bitching.

"But we had Ramuh Ex at 98% to drop gear and he didn't! the RNG is broke!!1!!!"

Jayhawk

I'd rather talk about why the RNG is involved in crafting at all. I don't see raid bosses having a % chance to just not drop any loot at all. I bet that would get people bitching.

"But we had Ramuh Ex at 98% to drop gear and he didn't! the RNG is broke!!1!!!"

What alternative would you want with the removal of RNG from crafting?
1. All crafts are HQ if you meet stat requirements.
2. NQ/HQ system is gone.

Either alternative will make crafting way too easy when they've worked hard to create a crafting system that actually involves some sort of effort past hitting 1 button.

Lanrutcon

2. NQ/HQ system is gone.

Either alternative will make crafting way too easy when they've worked hard to create a crafting system that actually involves some sort of effort past hitting 1 button.

I'm all for effort. And I'd be all for RNG + effort, if the results mattered. There's a crafting class, an entire class, devoted to making weapons. Can they make the best weapons in the game? No, they cannot. Why not? Why are the best weapons in the game only available, specifically, to non crafting classes? That makes no sense. I appreciate that ARR is trying to make crafting something special, but they should have the conviction to go all the way. Otherwise they're just like every other MMO where crafting is a sidenote in a story about killing things.

If the RNG lets you.

iammeiam

RNG in boss drops isn't bad for the CT stuff (UATs and Oils really do seem to drop about a third of the time); it's basically a small chance to HQ the drop. Mirrors and ponies though are awful.

2. NQ/HQ system is gone.

RNG to HQ is arguably advantageous for lower level crafting, too. I'd rather have a 1/3 chance to HQ a leve item than be SOL because I can't meet the mandatory HQ requirement.

Taruranto

Has Brontes popped in the past day on Ultros? If not, I will pop him tonight.

We managed to finally spawn it tonight on Ragna thanks to BG info. Had 3-4 people in my pt cooking while we ran around eating.

Hunts in the weekend get kinda worse, there are so many ppl that the S Rank tend to disappear even before they are engaged and people end up panicking and attacking them. :/

Haly

Crafting should be skilled based.

Create a Stepmania/Ouendan style mini-game for crafting.

The better your score, the higher quality your craft will be.

You'll need to Perfect this to craft 3 star gear.

Jayhawk

I'm all for effort. And I'd be all for RNG + effort, if the results mattered. There's a crafting class, an entire class, devoted to making weapons. Can they make the best weapons in the game? No, they cannot. Why not? Why are the best weapons in the game only available, specifically, to non crafting classes? That makes no sense. I appreciate that ARR is trying to make crafting something special, but they should have the conviction to go all the way. Otherwise they're just like every other MMO where crafting is a sidenote in a story about killing things.

If the RNG lets you.

The biggest deterrent to making craftable items being the best in an MMO is the presence of RMT.

Jayhawk

We managed to finally spawn it tonight on Ragna thanks to BG info. Had 3-4 people in my pt cooking while we ran around eating.

We popped it last week on Ultros using Finger Sandwiches. Nice to know there is a cheaper method. X_X

EDIT: Oops, double post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom