• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

I'd rather talk about why the RNG is involved in crafting at all. I don't see raid bosses having a % chance to just not drop any loot at all. I bet that would get people bitching.

"But we had Ramuh Ex at 98% to drop gear and he didn't! the RNG is broke!!1!!!"

Actually Ramuh has a percentage chance to drop weapons, and Circus Tower has a percentage chance to drop Tomestones, Oils, and Minion. Not to mention the infamous Mirrors that Leviathan drops... So uh...

RNG in crafting is flat out statistics. Just get all your shit to 100% HQ and no more tears.

Lanrutcon

Actually Ramuh has a percentage chance to drop weapons, and Circus Tower has a percentage chance to drop Tomestones, Oils, and Minion. Not to mention the infamous Mirrors that Leviathan drops... So uh...

RNG in crafting is flat out statistics. Just get all your shit to 100% HQ and no more tears.

So when Ramuh doesn't drop a weapon, he drops nothing?

WolvenOne

Crafting an item a hundred times is still a very low sample size. As somebody who has had level 50 in all crafts since November, their implementation of random numbers in crafting is fine in my opinion. Maybe it is because my statistics professor years ago hammered this point home, but I understand that 99% is never a guarantee.

Point by point rebuttal.

Yes 100 is still a low sample size, but I would still call it a viable sample, albeit it is perhaps the smallest possible viable sample.

Yes, you're not necessarily going to get 98 HQs out of a hundred, in fact it'd be surprising if a player did. However, I specifically stated, "significantly lower than 98", for a reason. If a player is only getting say, 50 out of a hundred, with a 98 percent figure, then something is probably a bit screwy. Granted, the word, "significant," isn't a very specific metric in this case, but it was still in there.

Third, again, the presence of these numbers tends to suggest to players that crafting isn't very RNG heavy, so using a true random number generator works against player expectations.

Granted, by now I'm not sure there's much they can do about that.

So when Ramuh doesn't drop a weapon, he drops nothing?

So, when the craft doesn't HQ, you get nothing?

That's true. It's also completely irrelevant to my initial comment about why the RNG is part of crafting at all. My point was: If the RNG was as big a part of combat classes as it is for crafting classes, we'd see a looooot more bitching.

But it is a big part of combat classes.

It's a big part of this game as a whole.

Lanrutcon

I don't get this--failing to HQ a craft isn't the same as failing to complete the craft. Completion/failure is a visible metric. So you still get a drop, just not the one you want.

That's true. It's also completely irrelevant to my initial comment about why the RNG is part of crafting at all. My point was: If the RNG was as big a part of combat classes as it is for crafting classes, we'd see a looooot more bitching.

iammeiam

But RNG is huge for battle classes? It's more obscured behind mechanics than just a flat X% of failure, but stacking certain stats is all about trying to weigh the dice rolls behind combat in your favor. Loot tables are driven by RNG, and whether or not you get the piece you want when it finally does drop depends on if RNG likes you more than the guy you're rolling against.

Atma also has RNG actively giving combat classes the finger. Want to do Novus? Be rich or spiritbond and hope that RNG gives you non-shitty materia. And also that it shows mercy and doesn't blow up your expensive materia when you go to meld it.

Everyone--crafters, gatherers, and combat classes--suffers at RNG's hands.

Tiops

If I buy the PS3 version now, can I upgrade it to the PS4 version?

And by buying another version of the game (I already have it on PC), do I get another free month?

Lanrutcon

But RNG is huge for battle classes? It's more obscured behind mechanics than just a flat X% of failure, but stacking stats is all about trying to weigh the dice rolls behind combat in your favor. Loot tables are driven by RNG, and whether or not you get the piece you want when it finally does drop depends on if RNG likes you more than the guy you're rolling against.

Atma also has RNG actively giving combat classes the finger. Want to do Novus? Be rich or spiritbond and hope that RNG gives you non-shitty materia.

Everyone--crafters, gatherers, and combat classes--suffers at RNG's hands.

Fair enough then. I guess you guys do need to run the numbers to get the big loots. Now master crafters just need some raid quality recipes and we can all suffer at the RNG's hands in our own respective fields for a shot at the big shinies.

Right?

Isaccard

Point by point rebuttal.

Yes 100 is still a low sample size, but I would still call it a viable sample, albeit it is perhaps the smallest possible viable sample.

Yes, you're not necessarily going to get 98 HQs out of a hundred, in fact it'd be surprising if a player did. However, I specifically stated, "significantly lower than 98", for a reason. If a player is only getting say, 50 out of a hundred, with a 98 percent figure, then something is probably a bit screwy. Granted, the word, "significant," isn't a very specific metric in this case, but it was still in there.

Third, again, the presence of these numbers tends to suggest to players that crafting isn't very RNG heavy, so using a true random number generator works against player expectations.

Granted, by now I'm not sure there's much they can do about that.

(Un)shockingly, I dont think you understand how numbers and chance works...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A single instance of someone having a bad roll out of 100 HQs, does not a "problem" make. Now, if everyone were reporting 50%, that would be a different manner. And it's trivial for anyone on the dev team to actually test whether the players have stumbled onto a bug or if it's just people being people.

Prototype

Well decided to spend myth, gil and items on vanity for myself and my Chocobo instead of gear. I'm ilvl93 atm anyway so I figured why not? I'd like to have some thing nice to look at on the long road to animus for my pld.

Still need 1 more dark steel ingot... time to farm gil.

yep. the s rank by swiftperch yesterday was gone for me almost the entire fight on ps4 and i only got 5 seals despite being there the entire time with a full party.

I was there also on PS4. Got there when its health was around 40% and got full credit. It kept appearing and disappearing, but my trusty targeting macro got the job done real well. It's a shame I need to dedicate a slot on my main hotbar to it, since you should be able to get the game to do the same by pressing X (target the nearest enemy, and ONLY enemies).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think Ramuh is a genuinely terribly designed battle.
Not only does it hate melee and there was a pet overlook, phase transition is insanely picky and sometimes mechanics do not match just because your damage just happened to be off by 1%. That is absolutely stupid for what rewards drop from that guy. Fix this shit SE. This isn't the first time you had poor phase transitions that players have very little control over. At least with Mog when you fuck up, you know it was your fault and not RNG's.

Not only does it hate melee and there was a pet overlook, phase transition is insanely picky and sometimes mechanics do not match just because your damage just happened to be off by 1%. That is absolutely stupid for what rewards drop from that guy. Fix this shit SE. This isn't the first time you had poor phase transitions that players have very little control over.

This game regularly punishes players for DPSing too much, and pushing phases or timing transitions wrong in several fights results in a wipe. It's getting clear that this is how they like to design fights for this game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
ydysYTB.png

Behold: the Novus for poor people.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Not only does it hate melee and there was a pet overlook, phase transition is insanely picky and sometimes mechanics do not match just because your damage just happened to be off by 1%. That is absolutely stupid for what rewards drop from that guy. Fix this shit SE. This isn't the first time you had poor phase transitions that players have very little control over. At least with Mog when you fuck up, you know it was your fault and not RNG's.

The problem is their fight designers rely too often on percentage phase changes. They said they would be looking into addressing that sort of thing somehow, so we'll see.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If I buy the PS3 version now, can I upgrade it to the PS4 version?

And by buying another version of the game (I already have it on PC), do I get another free month?
Yes and yes. Just be aware that you need to launch the PS3 version and tie it to your SE account before you can upgrade to the PS4 version.

Behold: the Novus for poor people.

Is this really so much worse than focusing on 2 stats?

Assuming increasing all stats is a good thing 75 more points spread over all the stats makes it that much worse?

If the increases are linear it shouldn't make that much difference IMO. Of course for most melee Skill Speed is pretty useless since you can run out of TP, but for a mage Skill Speed should be decent right?

Isaccard

Assuming increasing all stats is a good thing 75 more points spread over all the stats makes it that much worse?

If the increases are linear it shouldn't make that much difference IMO. Of course for most melee Skill Speed is pretty useless since you can run out of TP, but for a mage Skill Speed should be decent right?

As far as Melee goes, Skill Speed is equal to Crit for Monks. No idea about DRG's.

For casters Spell Speed is favored heavily for BLM, followed by Det, then Crit. As a stat crit scales badly the more you have. WHM's favor some Spell Speed as well, but too a certain point IIRC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Depends on if you want to min-max or not.

Depends on if you want to min-max or not.

Let's say you do. What makes it so much worse? I'm genuinely asking here, 'cause I don't know.

As someone who's on his 7th book, this is relevant to my interests. If I can do the Novus for cheap that would save me money for the money pit that is melding crafting gear.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Probably going to start leveling another class soon myself. 2.3 unfortunately did not add much in the way of the sort of content I gravitate towards, so leveling another class or two is probably the smart thing to do in cases like this.

Besides, would be nice to have DPS options outside of DRG.

I have all the combat classes between 15 and 20, but none of them really captured me until ACN. It's so different from DRG, and feels really fresh after hundreds of hours stabbing people in the side and back (I do love my DRG, mind you).

This is the first time since LNC where I'm actually motivated to take the class to job level. I'm just thankful my friend is leveling a MRD alongside my ACN, which is making dungeon queues far less painful.

I actually really like the content in 2.3, but there are only so many Syrcus runs I can do before I want to do something else. (why does that DRG helm NEVER drop from Amon?!)

BadRNG

Let's say you do. What makes it so much worse? I'm genuinely asking here, 'cause I don't know.
It's not really that much worse. But before I begin i should say that no matter how large or small a benefit, min/max is still min/max, people will always try and achieve it. Especially in this game that is so devoid of real gear/character choices, people need something to aspire to I guess. Anywho...

Different secondary stats have different stat weights, with a single point of primary stat (STR, INT, DEX, etc) as the base. I don't know your classes weights offhand, but let's say Det was .30, crit was .20, and SS .15. It's never that clean but it's just an example. If you had Novus go det/crit capped, it'd be 31 *.3 + 44 *.2 or 18.1 of main stat. If you divided the Novus points further though, and split it inbetween 3 stats, for example 31/30/14 of each stat respectively you'd get 31*.3 + 30*.2 + 14* .15 or 17.4 weight. So by going for cheaper route you lost .7 of your main stat. The actual weights vary between classes so how big of a differential can vary, and in theory you can obtain quite a bit extra boost by proper optimization here.

That's just in theory though. In practice, someone with the BiS optimal set up is not actually going to be doing that much more dps than someone of equal ilevel using a highly unoptimized setup. The difference between the stats is just not large enough to make that big of a difference, and perhaps more importantly the gear selection is usually limited to two a slot, and the allocation is so all over the place that the player gets very little in terms of meaningful choice. Weights don't work quite as well when you are examining things outside of dps either, such as tank or healing, so people generally just get as much as they can from the tangible stats related to their class mechanics (like parry for tanks or crit for SCH).

Outside of all of that, at least in regards to choosing your Novus stats, if you are wanting to save some gil I would consider accuracy as well rather than going all in on first and second highest dps stats. Any extra point of ACC past a certain point is wasted, and many people design their Novus with the current i110 gear in mind, but I think that is short sighted as the whole point of the relic weapon line is that is follows you throughout the game. Having a guaranteed slot with a massive acc boost can make gearing up when the next ilevel expansion happens much easier.

Det and Skill Speed imo since their rotation is pretty slow. I'm not a huge believer in DRG crit.

Bard-wise, like I was saying tonight, goes Crit > Det > SS.

The curent generally acepted DRG stat weights are:

Weapon Damage: 8.732
Strength: 1
Determination: .325
Crit: .204
Skill Speed: .178

Doesn't matter how much of a believer you are, crit has always been ahead of SS, even if it is a much closer race between those two then either of them and det. Got to also remember that SS is only a benefit as long as you aren't fucking up as well since if you ever take any extra time to get a skill off that benefit is gone.

Kenai

Fair enough then. I guess you guys do need to run the numbers to get the big loots. Now master crafters just need some raid quality recipes and we can all suffer at the RNG's hands in our own respective fields for a shot at the big shinies.

Right?

?

I'd call those new weapons "raid boss" quality if you aren't planning on forking over several mill for one. Each one takes 10 Field-craft 3s (my one sold instantly for 450k last night) and 3 Mastercrafts, which are like...800k? Didn't check since I'm keeping those.

They are separate types of difficulty, but i certainly felt accomplished when my desynther finally hit ~85 today so I can start busting Gold specs + ultima jewelry. I felt a different kind of accomplishment beating T5 pre-nerf but both were definitely good. I bet I'll also feel good when I finish up my Novus next week. I like having all these different things in the game available to work toward.

Taruranto

I'm reading a T9 guide, there are so many "instant-kill scripted mechanic" that it makes me sad.

Also, someone on BG managed to solo tank Ramuh using 2 SCH to heal. Let's see if this method catches up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom