• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm reading a T9 guide, there are so many "instant-kill scripted mechanic" that it makes me sad.

Also, someone on BG managed to solo tank Ramuh using 2 SCH to heal. Let's see if this method catches up.

The entire fight is pretty much scripted into four mini fights. Not really a bad thing I guess, though they put the most challenging part in the final phase this time as opposed to T5.

Frontlines is pretty fun though I'm kinda confused when I play as WHM, guess I just sit in an occupied base and hold it down with some allies...or something

WolvenOne

Probably had the most fun playing tonight then I've had in a couple weeks. Between doing a quick Titan HM, T5, and then spending a bit over an hour practicing Ramuh with some GAFers. That fight doesn't look too bad BTW, just have to keep everyone on the same page for orb-pickup after judgement bolt. Okay that's probably a bit premature considering I haven't downed it yet, but compared to T6-7-8, it's a lot simpler.

Also, did this patches Hilibrand quest tonight, and it was quite amusing, save for the initially painful
crossdressing

Incidentally, speaking of spoilers. Is it just me, or is was that
ULTROS
in the preview for the next episode/quest?

Taruranto

The entire fight is pretty much scripted into four mini fights. Not really a bad thing I guess, though they put the most challenging part in the final phase this time as opposed to T5.

Meh, sounds like the usual FFXIV dance-of-death fight. Coil T6-8 were piss easy to memorize, but I probably won't bother too much with this T9 except maybe a few tries, don't feel like learning a new dance all over again, every time. Gears are going to be outdated in 2 months anyway.

Sophia

Frontlines is pretty fun though I'm kinda confused when I play as WHM, guess I just sit in an occupied base and hold it down with some allies...or something

The nature of how alliances work kinda promotes that behavior. Healers are at a distinct disadvantage when not with their alliance because their best spells (Cure 3, Media 2, Adloq, Whispering Down) cannot target other parties. Combined it with the limited tactics shown by most parties due to not being premade, the difficulty of targeting other alliance members on a controller, and the fact that holding three bases early on is a significant advantage..... Yeah. :\

MogCakes

So apparently if I can't pull aggro from a group of mobs off a moving i110 BLM in .5 seconds in Syrcus tower I get labeled a fail tank in alliance chat, complete with sound effects and spammage. Wonderful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Putting points into Piety if you're a scrub who doesn't do coil for reasons and is thus forced to go soldiery isn't such a bad idea. Of course, the amount of Piety you can get from this will not compensate, but it's something.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meh, sounds like the usual FFXIV dance-of-death fight. Coil T6-8 were piss easy to memorize, but I probably won't bother too much with this T9 except maybe a few tries, don't feel like learning a new dance all over again, every time. Gears are going to be outdated in 2 months anyway.

If it's anything like second coil, it will be nice to go into third coil with a set of high allagan weapons at least.

Can't wait for the eventual coil unlock.

WolvenOne

I'm rooting for buffs so I have something to read in this thread tonight. Don't let me down Yoshida!

Some form of nerf is probably a gaurantee tonight. I mean, first, they kinda outright said that they were going to adjust hunts tonight, second, they waited until it was time for the reset before implementing these changes, which means these changes are going to tie into the weekly reset somehow.

So, a weekly Allied Marks cap, seems likely.

Heh, I wasn't gonna let something like maintenance stop me and my party from killing two A ranks in North Than and West Than before the deadline

real glad to get the West Than A done even when it was after 3am

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Some form of nerf is probably a gaurantee tonight. I mean, first, they kinda outright said that they were going to adjust hunts tonight, second, they waited until it was time for the reset before implementing these changes, which means these changes are going to tie into the weekly reset somehow.

So, a weekly Allied Marks cap, seems likely.

No, it doesn't seem likely.
The adjustments were said to be about Elite Marks, not the shop, not the currency itself, just the elite marks.
I never got the impression SE didn't want this welfare system to be so useful. They just underestimated the pull it was going to generate.

WolvenOne

So I want to get in on this lucretive business. Is there a guide to gear I can craft and how to spiritbond in a decent amount of time?

I really have no idea what crafted items would be lucrative to spiritbond. I mean, ilvl70 crafted is a guaranteed Tier 4, but, since not every Tier 4 is valuable, so the value of the materials has to be weighed against the potentially bad materia.

I just buy ilvl49 accessories and a belt. They aren't a guaranteed 4, but usually the valuable tier 3's are enough to slightly make up the cost, so the occasional tier 4's are almost always pure profit.

As for how to spiritbond effectively in the overworld. Find a bunch of mobs that're reasonably high level (48 to 50) have a tank pull them, then have your DPS obliterate them all at once, (this is where BLM's and WHM's come in handy.)

Also, HQ armor/accessories spiritbond faster, so if you don't want to bother affixing junk materia to speed up the bond, that'll help.

they will make the daily/weekly hunts drop more seals. make adjustments to seal gain. i doubt they will outright nerf it. the pond is already full of shit. no need to stir it up even more.

Probably had the most fun playing tonight then I've had in a couple weeks. Between doing a quick Titan HM, T5, and then spending a bit over an hour practicing Ramuh with some GAFers. That fight doesn't look too bad BTW, just have to keep everyone on the same page for orb-pickup after judgement bolt. Okay that's probably a bit premature considering I haven't downed it yet, but compared to T6-7-8, it's a lot simpler.

Also, did this patches Hilibrand quest tonight, and it was quite amusing, save for the initially painful
crossdressing

Incidentally, speaking of spoilers. Is it just me, or is was that
ULTROS
in the preview for the next episode/quest?

It is. It's pretty much a callback to FF VI where Ultros was desk boy for the Colliseum.

Anywho, gonna have to start running Frontlines more often...just not as WHM since I don't like being the number one target.

WolvenOne

No, it doesn't seem likely.
The adjustments were said to be about Elite Marks, not the shop, not the currency itself, just the elite marks.
I never got the impression SE didn't want this welfare system to be so useful. They just underestimated the pull it was going to generate.

A weekly cap wouldn't be an adjustment to the shop.

Also, just because there's a weekly cap, doesn't mean that Allied Seals wouldn't be useful. I just means that hunting after a certain point wouldn't be very useful.

Lets say, for example, that they put a cap of 500 Allied Seals per week.

That'd be one sand every 1.5 weeks, less if a log dropped during your hunt. Considering we have two months until the next patch, and that CT2 is going to have Sands added soon, that's plenty of sands for most players.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
A weekly cap wouldn't be an adjustment to the shop.

Also, just because there's a weekly cap, doesn't mean that Allied Seals wouldn't be useful. I just means that hunting after a certain point wouldn't be very useful.

Lets say, for example, that they put a cap of 500 Allied Seals per week.

That'd be one sand every 1.5 weeks, less if a log dropped during your hunt. Considering we have two months until the next patch, and that CT2 is going to have Sands added soon, that's plenty of sands for most players.

First, people who wanted sands, already got them. You're just gonna screw up people who do things at their own pace. Second, Soldiery is already capped. If people still do hunts, that's because they actually enjoy doing this, not because they need it. And if this doesn't ring true right now, it's gonna in a week. Weekly cap is pointless, a lazy patchjob idea, and is also not something that we, as players, should support, because it's one of those shoddy MMO extension tactics that we're forced to deal with rather than them existing for our enjoyment. It's not gonna stop people from hunting. I'm pretty sure people that do hunting all week now are going to log in on Tuesday, hunt their share, then log off until the next week. Is this better than what we have now? Yeah, I guess it will get people into instances back a little, for myth, but that's it. Plus it will put the shitty (yes they're all bad, deal with it Maelstrom) Elite GC glamour gear in an exorbitant position costs-wise, something it simply doesn't deserve. Right now the cost is just a curious thing considering you can pretty easily grind it out anyway.

WolvenOne

then my NIN will be grateful

i think they might touch how spawns work; i can't imagine they're too happy about the hunt tracker and app

I'm not too fond of it either to be honest. It makes it a lot more difficult to find marks unless you're constantly looking at that tracker. I mean, the players that are pretty much canvas the areas where one's about to pop, so they almost always find them first.

I still get in on hunts, but it's more enjoyable just to spread out and search for them the old fashioned way.

Oh, and one last thing, GET OFF MY LAWN!!! *waves cane.*

First, people who wanted sands, already got them. You're just gonna screw up people who do things at their own pace. Second, Soldiery is already capped. If people still do hunts, that's because they actually enjoy doing this, not because they need it. And if this doesn't ring true right now, it's gonna in a week. Weekly cap is pointless, a lazy patchjob idea, and is also not something that we, as players, should support, because it's one of those shoddy MMO extension tactics that we're forced to deal with rather than them existing for our enjoyment. It's not gonna stop people from hunting. I'm pretty sure people that do hunting all week now are going to log in on Thursday, hunt their share, then log off until the next week. Is this better than what we have now? Yeah, I guess it will get people into instances back a little, for myth, but that's it. Plus it will put the shitty (yes they're all bad, deal with it Maelstrom) Elite GC glamour gear in an exorbitant position costs-wise, something it simply doesn't deserve. Right now the cost is just a curious thing considering you can pretty easily grind it out anyway.

It's no different than a Soldiery cap, which I have zero issues with. Also, if people haven't done any hunting, "at all," by now, they're probably never going to go outright gung-ho. For these people, unlocking the CT2 sands, and improving the Daily Marks rewards, would be the best solution.

Also, I myself enjoy hunts, at least when they aren't over-saturated, but if I'm not getting a reward, I probably won't run them. I have other things I could be doing with my time, like leveling alt classes, or running dungeons to drops to exchange for seals, or to spirit bind, or to practice Ramuh.

Also, Sands are probably going to be pointless once Ninja's out, seeing as there'll be a new set of gear and a new set of tomes. There'll probably be new upgrade items as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Also, Sands are probably going to be pointless once Ninja's out, seeing as there'll be a new set of gear and a new set of tomes. There'll probably be new upgrade items as well.

Ah yes. You just reminded me that the correct course of action is to chill out and go fish.

Since my static couldn't run T7 on Sunday, got into a PUG group with 2 other folks in my static and we downed it. We ran an interesting strategy of the tank constantly moving Melusine around the edge of the arena...it certainly made it easier for me as the only melee (So lonely) having to move only a smidge to continue dps as opposed to having to walk across the arena and risky losing GL if Shoulder Tackle is down. We probably would have beat it a tad sooner but alas, I finally had my betrayal moment where I accidently turned away for Petrifaction but forgot I still had voice and got two dps killed...=/

Oh well, got the Slaying Choker so I'm pleased!

Talaysen

It's no different than a Soldiery cap, which I have zero issues with. Also, if people haven't done any hunting, "at all," by now, they're probably never going to go outright gung-ho. For these people, unlocking the CT2 sands, and improving the Daily Marks rewards, would be the best solution.

Maybe some people went on vacation for two weeks.

Like me.

Also, soldiery cap was there from the start. Seals cap was not. Adding it now would be a terrible idea.

Ken

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Hotfixes (Jul. 29, 2014)
There will now be stricter evaluation of movement cheating in Frontline.

The following change has been made to “The Hunt”.
The Elite Mark Bill has been adjusted so that when it is updated the same monster will not be the targeted mark two weeks in a row.

The following issues have been addressed.
An issue in ”The Striking Tree (Extreme)” wherein the text indicating the “Treasure Coffer” is in Japanese.
Certain Achievement texts in “The Hunt” have been revised.

wowitsnothing.gif

[2]<Avatar Korra> Casual Fantasy XIV: A Poverty Reborn is over

lol

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So no health changes or nothin... geez. Still feel bad for the PS3 users that get screwed by load times.

Tomat

So it's still super easy to grind hunts for gear?

Yay I guess
Sure if you can deal with linkshell spies, backstabbing, drama, egotism over zergfests, and tears*

None of this is coming from personal experience so it could all be overly dramatic and wrong!

So no health changes or nothin... geez. Still feel bad for the PS3 users that get screwed by load times.

It could be worse, right now PC and PS4 users have to face disappearing mobs when enough players are gathered there. The fix they supposedly implemented to add the same draw priority that Odin and Behemoth have didn't work, or maybe once you get 200+ players on screen at once there is nothing more that can be done.

Tomat

It could be worse, right now PC and PS4 users have to face disappearing mobs when enough players are gathered there. The fix they supposedly implemented to add the same draw priority that Odin and Behemoth have didn't work, or maybe once you get 200+ players on screen at once there is nothing more that can be done.
Had no idea PC/PS4 users had that problem. I thought that was the same problem PS3 users had with stuff not loading in a good order so they could participate in time. Curious to see if that many people doing hunts would blow my computer up now.

Had no idea PC/PS4 users had that problem. I thought that was the same problem PS3 users had with stuff not loading in a good order so they could participate in time. Curious to see if that many people doing hunts would blow my computer up now.

PEeEFzp.jpg

This is the madness a S rank is usually on my PC...for the one or two moments the mob is actually ON the screen. Often I have to run back and forth across the area until he reappears, if only for a small moment.

elyetis

Sure if you can deal with linkshell spies, backstabbing, drama, egotism over zergfests, and tears*

None of this is coming from personal experience so it could all be overly dramatic and wrong!
I tried hunt in a group for the first time yesterday, and your description is pretty spot on.
The lack of decent reaction about it from SE is incredibly disapointing, all I want is vanity gear, but I either need to deal with a completly unbalanced content in group based on drama, egoistical *bip* punishing hundreds, etc... or taking years doing daily hunts.

Koriandrr

So it's still super easy to grind hunts for gear?

Yay I guess

unless you have a job and can't play during the day, which means less time to suck on the e-peens of all the people who do this all day long and know all the times and don't bother updating or shouting them, because they're selfish pricks and don't share any information, nor wait.

that's my piece on hunts.

Ken

41 mb patch out on PC

unless you have a job and can't play during the day, which means less time to suck on the e-peens of all the people who do this all day long and know all the times and don't bother updating or shouting them, because they're selfish pricks and don't share any information, nor wait.

that's my piece on hunts.

eh, I haven't been really grinding out hunts during the day at all and usually just leech off open PF groups at night. works out pretty well for me as someone with only one hunt LS (and very few social connections) that's usually dead at that time too lol.

i guess it really depends on how active the nightlife is on your server.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is the madness a S rank is usually on my PC...for the one or two moments the mob is actually ON the screen. Often I have to run back and forth across the area until he reappears, if only for a small moment.
What I do if there's way too many people is that I just put the camera directly top-down like so:

Reknoc

My one experience in an S-Rank was furiously pressing tab in a vain hope that i would target it, couldn't, saw no monster, and died. Didn't get anything for it and realised that didn't bother me and just did content I found fun instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom