• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

So wait... did all that content people were talking about actually hit already? Thought we were talking about some time in the far future.

WolvenOne

Another thing to add on this, what's a good market board shield before getting relic? still using the GC one i think.

Search under the shield tab/icon on the market board. Fair warning though, I don't think there's much in the way of market shields.

Ken

Okay, about ready to give up on DRG class, I just cannot seem to find a layout that works for me on controllers. I mean I know the rotation, but it feels clumsy, I make a lot of mistakes, and weaving in off-GCD attacks feels clumsy as heck.

Probably stuck with it until I can level another DPS class for T8. And yeah, I know other people have found crossbar layouts that made sense to them, but that was probably over the course of months. I've completely rebuilt my cross bar about five times this week, and at this point each one feels more awkward than the last.

I've had a lot of people suggesting Monk to me, but other people have said that class feels clumsy on a controller too.

how long have you been at learning DRG?

WolvenOne

how long have you been at learning DRG?

Basic rotation, I've known for months, it's the MAAAX DPS rotation ive been working on, and I've been putting work into daily for about two weeks now.

Basically, took the class out of storage once T7 was cleared.

Gaf pro crafters advise me what class should I go for the artisan's tool, between crp, ltw, wvr and possibly gsm. I probably only have materia/gil for one melded set for now, thinking of weaver because the high end stuff they make sells well and you know those pajamas will be an hot item.
Also, any advice on the meld for each piece is appreciated.

Check out FFxivguild and their crafters section. They have a page that lists how you should meld your gear.

And I hope you're ready to spend lots of money or do a ton of turn ins for seals. You will need 450 of the former tome mats to get those tools. Easiest one is probably CUL...

Carbonox

Just make sure you've got all your gear up to lvl 40 and go in and face roll with 1,2 and 3.

Oh yeah don't forget to spam FLASH! :D

What does this mean? I still don't know 99% of the terms used for this game, haha.

Yeah I have the level 40 Mythril armor set and the level 41 paddle sword thing so I guess I'm ready equipment-wise. Will give it a shot this weekend.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
On about 16+ hours for my last Atma. In S. Thanalan. In relation, the other 11 were a piece of cake. This is actually making me not want to play a DoW class for quite awhile. =/ lol

Just...give me the damn Atma. =(

Ken

Basic rotation, I've known for months, it's the MAAAX DPS rotation ive been working on, and I've been putting work into daily for about two weeks now.

Basically, took the class out of storage once T7 was cleared.

oh hmm. i wish i could help but i have 0 knowledge about playing ffxiv on controller

WolvenOne

Okay, sorry for venting, just a bit frustrated is all. And that's probably normal when you're forced to use a class you're not fully comfortable with, especially in someplace like Coil.

Ken

Okay, sorry for venting, just a bit frustrated is all. And that's probably normal when you're forced to use a class you're not fully comfortable with, especially in someplace like Coil.

you could always go double tank strat. average ilevel of your party should be much higher than at coil2's launch and a few soldiery weapons should help!

and yeah i know that feeling > >

IMBored

Check out FFxivguild and their crafters section. They have a page that lists how you should meld your gear.

And I hope you're ready to spend lots of money or do a ton of turn ins for seals. You will need 450 of the former tome mats to get those tools. Easiest one is probably CUL...

Thanks, I didn't know ffxivguild had a doh meld guide, I had only found a dof guide.
If I'm not mistaken you only need the seal mats for the master book, the tools don't require them. That's about 45 for each book (cul it's less). It should be within my budget because I've been hoarding the mats from dungeons and have seals ready.

Semper88

What does this mean? I still don't know 99% of the terms used for this game, haha.

Yeah I have the level 40 Mythril armor set and the level 41 paddle sword thing so I guess I'm ready equipment-wise. Will give it a shot this weekend.

1,2 & 3 is the PAL rotation, basically because its so damn easy.

Now that you are lvl 40 you've gotten Shield Oath apart from damage mitigation it also increases your Enmity (Aggro) so make sure its on when you are tanking.

Put the mark ONE on your bar so you can point out the target to attack first, it guides the DPS to kill that target so you can focus on tanking it. When the mob dies mark the next one to attack and so one.

This is your tanking rotation at lvl 40 :

Mark 1
Shield Lob (when pulling mobs)
Flash (when its more then one mob)
Fast Blade
Savage Blade
Rage of Halone
Repeat

Thats all there is to it, and use your defensive and offensive cooldowns when needed.

IvorB

Sometimes I wonder whether it might be cool to play as a tank. Then I just go back to killing things. At some point soon I want to put some time into my archery, maybe run a few dungeons. I actually have some nice DoW gear that I've been greeding on so I will be kitted out.

Thanks, I didn't know ffxivguild had a doh meld guide, I had only found a dof guide.
If I'm not mistaken you only need the seal mats for the master book, the tools don't require them. That's about 45 for each book (cul it's less). It should be within my budget because I've been hoarding the mats from dungeons and have seals ready.

Durrr, I'm an idiot. Either way, any one of them is doable if your gear has a good amount of materia melded and you have most of the level 50 abilities.

Frazley

It's weird. I played WoW for 8 years, and FFXIV has it's fair share of similarities in the combat department. I'd thought I was done with the genre after WoW, but FFXIV sucked me back in and I'm playing far more than I care to admit. >_<

I told myself no MMOs after AO, SWG, GW1, WoW and CoH...and here I am.

FFXIV is something special so far- I just want to lvl up so I can get to the real part of the game with friends- not digging the main story quest as much- feels too single-player.

I'm enjoying main story, but I too want endgame.

People who purposefully sabotage the party then go "Why are you whining? Tee hee" when you're amazed at their idiocy need to die in a fire. I'm not even sure I'm making a metaphor here.
It just doesn't compute. I know it's fun to annoy people to some twats, but like... aren't you wasting your own time for this, too?
Highly illogical.

Some may be recording it for YouTube and some purely have no soul.

I'm in a similar boat. Bought the game in the Steam sale and the only reason I haven't started playing it yet is because I can't decide whether I want to play Bard, BLM, Warrior, or Paladin yet.

You can level all classes. I started Gladiator and right now I am enjoying my Pugilist who is about to become a monk.

Okay, about ready to give up on DRG class, I just cannot seem to find a layout that works for me on controllers. I mean I know the rotation, but it feels clumsy, I make a lot of mistakes, and weaving in off-GCD attacks feels clumsy as heck.

Probably stuck with it until I can level another DPS class for T8. And yeah, I know other people have found crossbar layouts that made sense to them, but that was probably over the course of months. I've completely rebuilt my cross bar about five times this week, and at this point each one feels more awkward than the last.

I've had a lot of people suggesting Monk to me, but other people have said that class feels clumsy on a controller too.

Give me 10 minutes - forgot to do this for you the other day

Edit: Ok here we go. This may not be definitive, but it works well for me.

So this is my R2 hotbar - This includes my whole True Thrust etc combo on the buttons, and some misc stuff on the d-pad
ZanAnnix04_07_201412_49_50_zpsa11760e0.jpg
My L2 Hotbar - which has the Impulse Drive combo on the d-pad plus phlebotomise which is additional DoT, and then all my Jumps + power up on the dpad.
And my R2+L2 Hotbar - which contains defence, self healing and LB.

This all took me a while to adjust to, but I find it intuitive now. It works with my brain's logic. If this doesn't work for you maybe it'll help you think about what would work for you?

Met my first assholes last night. Kept calling me a little shit, annoying etc when the only two things I had said were hi and asked if they were okay to kite adds (CC first boss).

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
"Magiteknichal Difficulties- Players must first complete the main scenario quest "The Ultimate Weapon," and have also acquired a magitek mount."

What's this about? Fight with your Magitek mount?
ALSO

"The challenge log rewards for A Wolf in Your Belly and Thrown to the Wolves will now be based on your PvP rank.
A Wolf in Your Belly: 10% of EXP until your next rank.
Thrown to the Wolves: 15% of EXP until your next rank."

No goddamnit I was free from the Den freeeeeeee.

Carbonox

1,2 & 3 is the PAL rotation, basically because its so damn easy.

Now that you are lvl 40 you've gotten Shield Oath apart from damage mitigation it also increases your Enmity (Aggro) so make sure its on when you are tanking.

Put the mark ONE on your bar so you can point out the target to attack first, it guides the DPS to kill that target so you can focus on tanking it. When the mob dies mark the next one to attack and so one.

This is your tanking rotation at lvl 40 :

Mark 1
Shield Lob (when pulling mobs)
Fast Blade
Savage Blade
Rage of Halone
Repeat

Thats all there is to it, and use your defensive and offensive cooldowns when needed.

Awesome thanks!

Munba

Abilities for mounts, awesome 14 new minions, AF dyable and... the return of PARLEY minigame ahah (Players can now enjoy mini-games in inn rooms using the Toy Chest, so others are coming).

Sold. :D

aceface

Stroking the Haft

Really Square.

Edit: Whaaaaat new Minstrel's Ballad fight? No one mentioned that. And you have to have Turn 4 completed hmmm...maybe Brutal Coil? Edit2: Yeah it's brutal coil. Was hoping for a new hard mode or extreme fight, oh well.

Also riddle quests, haven't mentioned anything about that yet either.

Ken

New i100 rings, glowing primal weapons are i95, and succubus minion.

Most of the other stuff isn't too exciting for me though but oh well, pretty meaty patch regardless.

Moaradin

Finally enemy percentages on health bars. It's such a obvious thing that was overlooked. I'm surprised it took so long to add it.

aceface

Looks like all the Fire and Ice spells (except the aoe ones) got a 10% buff for BLM.

Tanks will be able to keep Shield Oath/Defiance up even after death. Now I can't make fun of them when they forget to put it up. :(

aceface

he following items are now available for trade from Aelina in Mor Dhona at Revenant's Toll (X:22 Y: 6):
Sands of Time / Oil of Time / Wolf Marks

Eh? What are these going to cost I wonder.

edgefusion

Single target buff for the aoe oriented class but no aoe buff for the single target oriented class? Square, I'm tired of tanks saying "small pulls then" when they see a Monk. I always thought the *point* of black mage was that it has handicapped single target damage because it's aoe is so good.

dramatis

A new item is now available from Grand Company quartermasters.
Reagan Pepper for 48k seals
wat

Certain seeds obtained from intercrossing have been changed.

The following items can now be obtained through gardening:
Onion Prince / Eggplant Knight / Garlic Jester / King Tomato / Mandragora Queen / Pear Roselle
......Well. Do you guys care more about chocobos, or mandragora minions.

Players can now enjoy mini-games in inn rooms using the Toy Chest.

Upon completing the side story quest A case of Indecency, players will unlock the Parley mini-game.
The return of Parley!

Aeana

Lol @ taking Brayflox out of Expert DR and putting it into High Level.
All of the dungeons that are currently in expert were moved out, so it's not like Bray was singled out.

When joining Duty Roulette as a party, abandoning the duty within the first 10 minutes will incur a penalty.

Parties containing one or more members who have been penalized for abandoning a duty will be unable to register for duties via the Duty Finder.

Well, that's dumb.

dramatis

The only problem I can see with adding more dungeons to high level roulette, is that with the requirement to complete all of the dungeons in the roulette at least once before roulette opens up, it might be a bit taxing on the newer players.

Good news for black mages I suppose, potency of the Fire/Blizzard spells have been buffed, so BLM will be even more monstrous than before.

For Mu Pod, there's been reduction in status durations for PvP. Game Changer? (+ a shit ton of other changes to pvp actions)

I can get why they would put penalty on preformed parties that abandon duty in roulette. All these people constantly generating instances that if they don't like the dungeon they leave and queue again, it's hogging up instance server resources.

aceface

So for the Elite Marks for hunting, they will be available for everyone so it sounds like we are going to get NM camping? Don't really look forward to that.

Also looks like they introduced hard mode treasure maps, which sounds interesting.

Managed to get MRD to 30 and unlock WAR, which was nice. Now it's off to get GLD to at least 22 for provoke, though may. I'm finding it quite a bit different tanking with GLD, but am getting the hang of it. While I'm still leaning toward going with WAR, I may take PLD to 50 as well before deciding which class I want to take through the loot treadmill.

You don't really need to provoke till went into lvl 50 IMO. It's only really needed for tank swaps, otherwise it's nice to have, but not a deal breaker. I have it as a fifth cross class skill since I have no use for it at levels below 50.

you could always go double tank strat. average ilevel of your party should be much higher than at coil2's launch and a few soldiery weapons should help!

and yeah i know that feeling > >

How much damage does a WAR equipped with DPS gear and no Defiance do? I really wish you were able to parse on PS4...

Looks like all the Fire and Ice spells (except the aoe ones) got a 10% buff for BLM.

Tanks will be able to keep Shield Oath/Defiance up even after death. Now I can't make fun of them when they forget to put it up. :(

Last night I forgot to put up Defiance after we died on some mobs that ganged up on us in Dzmael Darkhold in low level roulette. Did the whole second boss that way, before I noticed. Didn't have any trouble keeping hate and the healer had no trouble keeping up, so it may be a valid strategy...

IMBored

So, I got the Materia and the Weapon for my Relic quest, anyone willing to put it all together for me??

What's your class?

You'll need a blacksmith then, I'm not 50 at that yet. Just to confirm are you on the ultros fc? If so just say ingame, most times someone is on.

Also, new DOH/DOL weapons l75, not much pint in upgrading from the l70 ones then.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wasn't BLM supposed to get a boost?
I'm not riding, but 3 skills that I don't even remember using getting getting a slight boost and a huge nerf to manawall doesn't sound like what I've been expecting.

aceface

I'm not riding, but 3 skills that I don't even remember using getting getting a slight boost and a huge nerf to manawall doesn't sound like what I've been expecting.

Fire and Blizzard 1 and 3 getting a ~10% boost seems pretty good.

Aeana

Yeah what the hell, that's really not fair.

Speaking of that, why I can only join low level dungeons in Roulette?, do I need to do something to unlock the higher level ones?
You have to clear every dungeon that's part of the roulette.

This update seems to have made it significantly easier to get myth tomes.

Many dungeons getting an upgrade such as CT going from 150 -> 200
Some roulettes getting an upgrade such as Main Story 80 - > 100 (or was it 110?)
Many dungeons/trials getting an upgrade if you are with a first timer (Most HMs)

IvorB

They nerfed Manawall????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom