• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asked my friend who I do Frontlines with regularly. He's played 120 matches and has a 53% win rate. I've done 64 matches and have a 50% win rate.

how many ppl do you roll with in frontlines in flames. if it's just you and your friend/your friend solo queues then I rescind my statement of them being baddies. I still don't think they're good, but I won't say they're the worst

WolvenOne

P.S. Alts are for suckers. If you're that bored jump on that frontlines train

c7NJRa2.gif

Mature

My win ratio isint largely reflects the first two weeks of frontlines, and after the first patch I elected to go after titles for controlling mid rather than supporting my team (or getting rekt horribly with them), granted one player goings rouge won't shouldn't hurt us too much, but if everyone's doing it then, welp
As someone who plays entirely White Mage in Frontlines and therefore has a lot of awareness of the tipping sides of a fight, I can tell you that 60-70% of the time a party loses an engagement is because they're unnecessarily undermanned. Even by one person. It's imperative to have a full party together if you expect to win some points.

Here's some quick and dirty advice to those who are having a hard time in Frontlines or who have yet to start:
-Stick with your team. If you don't agree with where your team is going, swallow your pride and follow and assist anyway. The only times to split are when you're in control of a point and you send a few people to scout an enemy OP, or when you're Alliance B and you're splitting to help different other alliances accordingly. Strength in numbers!
-Use your PVP skills. It sounds obvious, but I see it pretty often. I'll occasionally spam interrupt a BLM with Aero, and they either refuse to use Equanimity or don't know they have it. Either way, they become useless without it.
-Don't engage without buffs AKA {Gather Together}. Healers want to give you Protect and Stoneskin, but it's rough if people aren't gathering together. If you just lost a point and you're eager to reengage, remember that after beating you they had plenty of time to slap on their buffs. Running into them again without any protect and stoneskin is asking for death.
-LIMIT BREAK. If you're melee DPS, never let the limit break bar fill to two. You've wasted a kill in doing so. Braver can kill a healer in one shot and is, therefore, indispensable. If you're a BLM or SMN on a team with no melee DPS then be sure to use it in their stead. Watch for your teammates binding, sleeping or stunning people and Limit Break 2 accordingly.
-Communicate. If you're clearly failing to grab a point over and over, you're not doing anything for your team. Talk to your party and adapt to a situation. Sweep around and go grab their outpost. Being a thorn in the side of a team is better than feeding them kills with little hope of reclaiming a point.

I'm by no means the king of frontlines, but there's really small things that I see people neglect that can easily turn the tide of a fight. Also, if you're not Immortal Flames, ignore all of this advice.

zeox

going through the recruitment page on guildworks, and I have to ask: what is the difference between Character and Character name? I might be too tired to fill out this simple form :S

going through the recruitment page on guildworks, and I have to ask: what is the difference between Character and Character name? I might be too tired to fill out this simple form :S

I know it's kind of confusing but you can link your Lodestone profile (FFXIV character) to your account. Because of this, it calls your username "Character" on the application by default and I do not have access to change this. If people don't link their profiles before applying, we could get all kinds of crazy usernames in the 'Character' field and not be able to identify who is applying. This is why we added the additional field of 'Character Name' to make sure we capture this information.

In short, 'Character' can be either your Guildwork account username or your FFXIV character, depending on if you linked your Lodestone profile or changed the display name in your profile settings while 'Character Name' is the name of your in-game character.

Ken

close matches to me are within 50-100 points by the end which I may have seen twice. Once you start leading by 100 or more points when you get to 1000 you are pretty much guaranteed to win. Winning 1300-1500 isn't close in my book is what I'm saying. Flames aren't good b/c in the majority of games I've played and others they have a low win %. Getting second doesn't count

iWfK2dyCCkoHp.png

ANOTHER VICTORY

WolvenOne

Okay, PVP question.

Is there any way to create and save a unique crossbar for PVP? Or do you have to drag and drop PVP specific abilities into your normal crossbar whenever before starting a match, and manually revert it after you're done?

Full context: I'm not gonna go crazy gung-ho and become the next Mupod or anything, but, Frontlines is a worthwhile way to sink some time when I have nothing better to do at that moment.

zeox

I know it's kind of confusing but you can link your Lodestone profile (FFXIV character) to your account. Because of this, it calls your username "Character" on the application by default and I do not have access to change this. If people don't link their profiles before applying, we could get all kinds of crazy usernames in the 'Character' field and not be able to identify who is applying. This is why we added the additional field of 'Character Name' to make sure we capture this information.

In short, 'Character' can be either your Guildwork account username or your FFXIV character, depending on if you linked your Lodestone profile or changed the display name in your profile settings while 'Character Name' is the name of your in-game character.

that actually made tons of sense. thanks!

I never noticed this before, but the skill the Sasquatch uses on Hullbreaker Isle is named "Stool Fling".

It's literally throwing it's poo at your characters ._.

I wanna make another account to get recruitment reward but forget I also need another copy of the game to create Mog Station service.....hmmm

That 2 seats chocobo looks lovely but not sure if worth it.

Jayhawk

against 3 healers? lol

Where are the CCs?! Where are the DoTs?

If you can bait the Purify, a healer cannot be casting a protective buff (stoneskin/adloq), status cure, and a big heal at the same time. If they have Attunement up, Hawk's Eye and they dead.

Mature

against 3 healers? lol
Yes? You make it sound like it's some colossal feat. A fully enhanced Somersalt and One Ilm Punch does not bode well for healers. And if they have three healers, it means they have one less DPS which means you're going to survive longer too. Win the game of attrition and Limit Break their ass.

edgefusion

There was a conversation in FC chat earlier today about manually controlling your fairy and using macros on obey. I was a bit skeptical but thought I'd give it a try anyway. I found some macros and what-not online and redid my hot bars with them but to be honest I felt a lot weaker and a LOT less in control. Can anyone point me to some guides or tips on what I should be doing? I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, the way people talk about it makes it sound like the be all and end all of scholar healing.

Ken

Where are the CCs?! Where are the DoTs?

If you can bait the Purify, a healer cannot be casting a protective buff (stoneskin/adloq), status cure, and a big heal at the same time. If they have Attunement up, Hawk's Eye and they dead.

Yes? You make it sound like it's some colossal feat. A fully enhanced Somersalt and One Ilm Punch does not bode well for healers. And if they have three healers, it means they have one less DPS which means you're going to survive longer too. Win the game of attrition and Limit Break their ass.

this is immortal flames

i don't have a monk for pvp so i guess im out of luck

Jayhawk

this is immortal flames

i don't have a monk for pvp so i guess im out of luck

Most DPS classes have ways of dealing with healers. Hawk's Eye can't even be cross-classed by MNK, it's something I use on SMN or BLM. If I'm SMN, Bane is my best friend. If I want to burst, then the PVP skills, Energy Drains, and Ruin IIs do the job. If I'm BLM, Sleep and Nightwing!

Jayhawk

any pvp dragoon tips? for what skills to enhance?

I suppose it depends on what you usually end up encountering. If you're chasing a mage that runs around a lot, enhance the potency and duration of Weapon Throw. If you're getting CC'd a lot, enhance the duration of Fetter Ward. I tend to save the damaging PVP skills for extra burst damage. DRGs have some of the best burst damage in PVP with all those off-GCDs.

Mature

Why go melee when you can go ranged
Synergy. I have a Paladin I play with who uses Testudo and Cover to extend my life an extra 30 seconds. Glory Slash is also amazing when used effectively. Monks destroy mages as previously established. Can't say I know much about Dragoons though.

Fun tip: When you're being covered, your casts wont be interrupted.

Jayhawk

Synergy. I have a Paladin I play with who uses Testudo and Cover to extend my life an extra 30 seconds. Glory Slash is also amazing when used effectively. Monks destroy mages as previously established. Can't say I know much about Dragoons though.

Fun tip: When you're being covered, your casts wont be interrupted.

Full Swing debuff from a tank is sugoi desu.

Ken

I suppose it depends on what you usually end up encountering. If you're chasing a mage that runs around a lot, enhance the potency and duration of Weapon Throw. If you're getting CC'd a lot, enhance the duration of Fetter Ward. I tend to save the damaging PVP skills for extra burst damage. DRGs have some of the best burst damage in PVP with all those off-GCDs.

Impulse Rush no good? That's what I've been maxing though I could probably live without the CT combo.

I'm pretty much just playing my DRG as an assassin, locking down healers with Spineshatter and Leg Sweep and hope they die in that time.

Err? I think that's Glory Slash.

I think Paladins are pretty unrealized right now in PVP. I saw one who got 12 kills in a match once...

Plds are bad in PvP frontlines. That's what i played in arena and start of front lines. Their only useful cc got nerfed. Glory slash is alright but wither does the same thing. Tetsudo can help but isn't all that great and mrds bring more to the table imo

aceface

There was a conversation in FC chat earlier today about manually controlling your fairy and using macros on obey. I was a bit skeptical but thought I'd give it a try anyway. I found some macros and what-not online and redid my hot bars with them but to be honest I felt a lot weaker and a LOT less in control. Can anyone point me to some guides or tips on what I should be doing? I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt, the way people talk about it makes it sound like the be all and end all of scholar healing.

What macros did you use? You should definitely have the fairy on obey but there's no reason to use macros if you don't feel like you need them. Some people like having embrace macro'd to Adlo and physic but just as many people if not more like keeping them separate to split healing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom