• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh! I wanna play again, but i'm not in the ultros guild anymore, apparently :( I hit 50 back in april i think and had to move.

Just reapply- we kick out afk members to make room all the time if they're gone 60 days. Won't need to reapply on guildworks iirc.

We have a record of your membership if you ever signed up at the website. All you need to do is re-apply in-game (this was a new feature added to the game). There are some instructions in our public forum if you don't recall how to do this. Just make sure to leave a note/comment when you apply stating that you were in the FC before.

ReaperXL7

I can understand why people take hunts so seriously after being in a hunt group for a couple hours. The progression that can be made doing them is crazy

aceface

So this Friday 8/8 on Ultros: EX Primal night of tears! Starting at 9pm eastern.

Get your EX primal learning and hopefully clearing parties here. There seemed to be a lot of interest in FC chat yesterday so go to the Gaf guildwork forum thread I just started to sign up if you feel so inclined. Ideally we could get two parties going made up of about half new people and half experts (I don't know how much you know about EX Primals, but I'm an expert). We can start with Garuda if there's enough interest or move right onto Titan.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sorry was busy with family stuff, didn't see I had people quoting me, apologies

you'll be back next exp.

can you farm stuff in destiny? i haven't tried it, but i hear goods things from fellow addicts.

Heh!
Yeah you can do a fuck ton in the game (Beta speaking, retail will be way bigger)
There's marks for 2 main factions, 1 PVE oriented, 1 PVP oriented
PvE mark is given with Strikes (think dungeons), PTE Public Time Events (think Fates, but happen randomly in a zone, get Gold Rating everyday (think dailies) get +3 marks), trade in material in batches to the Quartermaster of said faction to earn extra marks (need 40 per batch, these are also used to upgrade weapons/gear, so choose wisely)
PvP is your FPS standard modes with twists, Control = Domination + TDM, yes you try to control 2/3 flags, then have to kill opponents, more flags you have the better bonus points you achieve
The players gears are equalized, so if your wearing Rare (Blue) items and fighting Uncommon (Green) Opponents, you will not have an advantage, the damage/impact is the same for all weapon (think level capped), your gear/weapon leveled attributes do carry over
There's also events that Bungie will throw in from time to time for rare factions that only appear during it, the same game modes you play now will have the advantage gear enabled, so now people with Uber gear will stand out against lower geared players (It's called Iron Banner), mostly matchmaking will try to match players equally geared towards a rating, or people will get annihilated by better geared players
There's a 100 mark cap every week, so a win gets you +2 a loss +1, so you can't grind PvP
Then there are sub factions that give good loot if you earn reputation on their behalf, which in turn you level up their reputation rank and earn marks to buy their emblem gear

The farming parts comes from Strikes and Explore (just going back to story missions w/o being zone in, can go explore all areas, kill mobs for ammo/xp/engrams (think sacred scrolls that need to be deciphered)
Cryptarch takes those engrams and deciphers them, thje more you decipher, the more he levels up, the more he levels up, the better rarity those engrams become
A Cryptarch with Rank 5 might decipher a Rare (Blue Engram) into just materials that are rare, but a Rank 10 might hand you a Blue Gun

Currency in this game is called Glimmer, you get them from chests (people do loops and farm them in a zone) or higher rank mobs that drop them, rewarded also, and gear/weapons you don't need/use can Dismantle and make small amounts of glimmer but also net you materials
Yes the game has synthing process for gear and weapon upgrades, you need certain materials to open the skill tree and upgrade talents within gears and weapons

You cap out at level 20, but you can keep overleveling (think ilvl) with the Light stat
Certain gears (Legendary (Purple) and Exotic (Gold) have Light stats on them
You need those to do higher level dungeons where mobs get to level 31, so more +Light the better you will be against those. I theorized that for every +13 Light, you gain a level

The last thing is when you are geared the fuck out and almost maxed out, you go do Raiding (think Coil)
So far one in announced called Vault of Glass, this must have the best gear possible
Also you can only win loot once, you can repeat the raid (not fully guaranteed), but loot is once a week till reset
There's also a checkpoint system, so you can come back and pick up from where you previously left off

So yeah this game is crazy for trying to merge many genres and use the FPS model as the overlay

Rarity gear:
Common (White) < Uncommon (Green) < Rare (Blue) < Legendary (Purple < Exotic (Gold)
You can only equip an exotic on each side of you char, for a total of 2
Left side pick either, primary, secondary, heavy
Right side pick Head, Chest, Legs, Feet

You can't exotic out your char, take a look here at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR42-WbyamA, you'll see the exotics and how some are ridiculous good looking

3 classes Titan, Warlock, Hunter, there's no defined roles that there has to be a tank or healer
All 3 are up to the job, each do differentiate themselves within their skills/talents
Once you hit 15, you can choose a subclass, each class has 2 subclasses at the moment
1 offense, 1 defense, you can level those up and swap them in out for the situation at hand

I'm still missing stuff here, but this is the gist of Destiny
It's a timesink, but nothing like XIV requires

Why are you doing this again? Are you that all in for Destiny?

Yep, all my chips are bet on Destiny, paid for the Digital Deluxe Edition on PSN

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anyone else have client stability problems since 2.3? Seems to lag out more often for me, often crashing due to "unexpected errors."

Kandinsky

When you finish the main scenario the game really starts, even if I play for an hour or two daily I can still progress, I'm loving it.

Anyone else have client stability problems since 2.3? Seems to lag out more often for me, often crashing due to "unexpected errors."

I randomly get lag spikes that often become 90k D/Cs, but only in full party+ encounters, within the first minute of fighting a boss.

studyguy

Been trying to grow mandragoras.
So far, I've made a ton of gourds somehow, which is okay since they pull like 130-150k
Gardening is like the dumbest shit even with guides it feels like sometimes it'll just give you whatever it feels like.
Also gone like 30 maps now and only 1 unhidden has popped. I need my other polarized hnnng.

demonkaze

So this Friday 8/8 on Ultros: EX Primal night of tears! Starting at 9pm eastern.

Get your EX primal learning and hopefully clearing parties here. There seemed to be a lot of interest in FC chat yesterday so go to the Gaf guildwork forum thread I just started to sign up if you feel so inclined. Ideally we could get two parties going made up of about half new people and half experts (I don't know how much you know about EX Primals, but I'm an expert). We can start with Garuda if there's enough interest or move right onto Titan.

This sounds like a great idea, i'm still on Garuda EX myself, been putting the EX primals off while farming my Atma (1 more to go, drop damn you!) and would like to get in and learn them.

IMBored

I just want to find a no-experience-necessary T6 PUG. Trapped outside the gates of hell.

I actually did one of these last Saturday, started a PF party just for learning T6. Filled up in half an hour or so, and with only one bard (me). Very surprising.
Of course we didn't get very far, the farthest we got was to see the party wiped to bouquet, and most pulls ending up with raflessia getting 8 stacks by the second spit.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
But second coil is easy (T6-8).

Still don't understand why people find T7 hard.

It is! It so is! I don't understand how people who've gotten through Titan extreme, or even hard, still can't grasp the concept of moving the hell out of the attack's range.

Munba

There will be not a sort of live letter in Gamescom this year in the end? I only saw the pvp/primals tournament announcement so far :/

Talaysen

Been trying to grow mandragoras.
So far, I've made a ton of gourds somehow, which is okay since they pull like 130-150k
Gardening is like the dumbest shit even with guides it feels like sometimes it'll just give you whatever it feels like.
Also gone like 30 maps now and only 1 unhidden has popped. I need my other polarized hnnng.

You're on Excalibur? If you're talking about Mimett Gourd seeds I could use those. Want to sell some to me directly?

In-game name is Alicia Florence

Try joining PF for T7 and you'll understand. Some groups just don't understand a concept of pushing the phase or slowing down. I've tried T7 with PF many times and they mostly failed because the Curse Voice/Shriek timing was fucked up and Renaud went wild afterward.

Jomjom

Banned
God that fan fest item is horrible. Couldn't they give us something badass for $120???

On another note, does anyone know if the buddy passes from the 1.0 CE still work as a game key for a friend?

Taruranto

Try joining PF for T7 and you'll understand. Some groups just don't understand a concept of pushing the phase or slowing down. I've tried T7 with PF many times and they mostly failed because the Curse Voice/Shriek timing was fucked up and Renaud went wild afterward.

I don't have a static, I do coil casually and through PF every time. Yeah, the average pug in this game can't grasp simple mechanics, but this is true for all content. Unless you are the OT or the Kiter (who admittedly have harder time than everyone) T7 involves paying attention to 2 entirely scripted mechanics. I read awful things about T7, people calling it a "static breaker", etc, but overall... meh. T4 still probably the hardest Coil (pre-echo) to pug to me.

I'm stuck at T6 PUG hell so you din't get to complain either.

Depends of the week, for example now I'm stuck in T6 PUG lol

I don't have a static, I do coil casually and through PF every time. Yeah, the average pug in this game can't grasp simple mechanics, but this is true for all content. Unless you are the OT or the Kiter (who admittedly have harder time than everyone) T7 involves paying attention to 2 entirely scripted mechanics. I read awful things about T7, people calling it a "static breaker", etc, but overall... meh. T4 still probably the hardest Coil (pre-echo) to pug to me.

Definetly it broke my static, I remember we were joking about it weeks ago...and then

uIyQ23x.gif

The problem with T7 is the same as Titan Extreme, one mistake by any of the eight guys in the pt and is (most of the time) over.

studyguy

You're on Excalibur? If you're talking about Mimett Gourd seeds I could use those. Want to sell some to me directly?

In-game name is Alicia Florence

What do you even use them for?
I saw the gardening guide has them for the king tomato I think, do they allow mixing for the choco leveling item as well? I honestly don't care either way, money isn't a big deal.

My static depending on who we rotated in and out has made it to every turn and subsequently broken over other dumb shit at various turns.. God damn keeping a static alive wasn't this hard during T1-5.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Memory leaks seem to have been introduced with the 2.3 patch.

Just for reference, what graphics card are you using?

Isaccard

God that fan fest item is horrible. Couldn't they give us something badass for $120???

On another note, does anyone know if the buddy passes from the 1.0 CE still work as a game key for a friend?

I'm glad it sucks, now I don't have to feel bad for not being able to get it

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

dark_chris

T7 and T8 separate the between the children and grown ups.

>:p

T7 isn't that bad. If you have someone who isn't constantly doing what they are doing, replace them.

It's not just 2 mechanics though. There are many rooms for errors in T7. Something like kiter and another range DPS got double fire-balled or someone accidentally stone their group. Tbh, I really like how T7 is designed. It's truly communication check. Our group has been doing so well in this turn I guess because we use Mumble and we call out almost everything: when to push, when to slow down, who has shriek, petrifaction etc. It's just one of those fight that I don't see how echo-buff would make it any easier. T4 on the other hand is just a mindless DPS race since beginning and that's why it became laughably easy after echo nerfed.

Can we Ramuh?

WolvenOne

The big stumbling blocks on T7 are controlling phases. Which can be really hard on DPS classes, since the habit is to constantly burn ASAP, and the sheer room for error. I mean yeah, sure there's only two major mechanics you have to deal with at all times, but there are other mechanics that have to be juggled periodically as well, and only one person out of eight needs to drop the ball for things to become really hairy, really fast.

That said, it was still less painful to learn T6-7-8, than Titan Extreme.

Edit:

I might add that, even if a each single member of a party only has a 5% chance of screwing up, that can translate into a lot of wipes on T7.

Everything is easy when you look at it on paper and/or do it with an experienced group/talented people.

The fact is most of this content revolves around "single player mistake usually means party wipe". T7 has the highest amount of opportunities of any instanced content other than maybe T9 for one party member to screw it all up. All those voices, shrieks, and petrifications, and any single party member can be the one to mess it up (not just a predetermined few). Usually everything else has fewer key moments for one person to wipe the party and is more forgiving of mistakes so that a good party can recover from losing a person or two or having to adapt quickly.

That is why T7, especially with a PF group, is probably one of the most frustrating things right now for groups trying to learn it/clear it for first time.

Not much else to say about Titan EX that hasn't been said a bajillion times. However the battle, like everything else in the game, consists of highly scripted and telegraphed mechanics that once you've cleared it enough, it should be easy. Only newer/unfamiliar players should ever cause you a headache. Ramuh EX right now seems to be the most reactionary battle I've seen, and without voice chat, that battle is frustrating. It requires a group all on the same page so they can react well enough to get into the proper positions to handle chaotic strike properly.

Most people use #s to call out faster who should break terror, but even that isn't fool proof. I would like to seem more groups using the Diamond formation for Chaotic Strike - it makes life so much easier. 2 chaotic strike people go to A, and the 4 remaining non-tanks make a diamond or cross/+ around those 2. That way it's spread out enough to see who has the lightning aoe quickly to call out who stacks on A, while the other members are far away enough that they won't overlap. It does require one person to stand on the water initially, but just react and move to land before the lightning goes off.

I think this formation will also make it easier for parties to handle do without relying on voice chat.

Can we Ramuh?

If people are on mumble, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom