• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Things we have never seen from T7:
Monk chest.
Tank neck.
Caster head piece.
Caster belt.

Been clearing since mid-April.

That's what happens when you shun a real token system and insist on double loot tables for a single boss.

so. sleep + scathe are probably the two most OP spells as a mage in wolf's den.

i can just avoid their DPS while running around hitting scathe on the enemy white mage.

Taruranto

What is an example in your book of a "hard" MMO raid boss, or a raid boss that is satisfying to you?

Hmmm...Alexander, PM6-4, Promathia 8.4. If you want a FFXIV example, I feel T4 is pretty good since it doesn't rely on instant-wipe mechanics too much.

Basically fights that relied more on how you play your job (with some minor exceptions) and the already established rules of the game rather than a bunch of scripted sequences with arbitrary mechanics that 1HK you (I think Alexander did the Astral Flow around 50%, but that's it).

These fights were pretty fun to do with a new group since they didn't have the "jump the rope" thing FFXIV has.

HELP

HELP

I was in stone Vigil ( Hard ) and then in the second boss with the cannons , the tank knew about the cannons but wanted to tank & agroo the boss.

WTF

WHAT THE ....

I can't believe it.
He knew about the cannons, he suddenly goes " i wanna tank the monster"
The more i'm playing end-game content , the more i'm baffled at human behavior.

LProtag

Okay, I'm doing some research into macros and I'm realizing they might be super helpful to me. This is all for SCH, by the way.

What exactly is mouse over? Is that a click heal button or does it just mean it'll cast the spell on whoever I have the mouse hanging over? Right now I manually click on the person I want to heal and cast the spell.

Also, it's possible to target your targets target? For instance, I can keep the tank as my target and macro all my DoTs and they'll target his target? What happens in this case if I click on another enemy? For instance, if I want to put DoTs on a whole group, can I use the same binding and target enemies like normal?

Thanks!

The sooner I complain about T7 the sooner I get it done.

T7 and T8 for the first time on the same day. It helps a lot a pt who dosn't suck and can even cover you when and be reasonable when is your first time in something.

But yeah, I agree T8 is quite easy.

Ken

Okay, I'm doing some research into macros and I'm realizing they might be super helpful to me. This is all for SCH, by the way.

What exactly is mouse over? Is that a click heal button or does it just mean it'll cast the spell on whoever I have the mouse hanging over? Right now I manually click on the person I want to heal and cast the spell.

Yes. I personally don't like mouse over because it can easily lead to casting the spell on the wrong target or yourself when you intended it to be on a someone else. The mouse over target is <mo>.

Also, it's possible to target your targets target? For instance, I can keep the tank as my target and macro all my DoTs and they'll target his target? What happens in this case if I click on another enemy? For instance, if I want to put DoTs on a whole group, can I use the same binding and target enemies like normal?

Thanks!

Yes it's <tt>

Taruranto

I don't recommend using mouse-over, more often than not you'll end up healing someone else or trying to heal the mobs. I use F1-2-3 to change target.

Also, it's possible to target your targets target? For instance, I can keep the tank as my target and macro all my DoTs and they'll target his target?
Thanks!

<tt>

So

/action "Bio II" <tt>
/wait 2.5
/action "Miasma" <tt>
/wait 2.5
/action "Bio" <tt>

/action "Bane" <tt>

/action "Ruin II" <tt>

Pretty useful for when you are running dungeons, have Eos' embrace icon on your hot-bar so you can heal the tank and DPS at the same time without changing the target. This also allows you to throw some quick Lustrate on the tank in case things go bananas.

kNxaKK5.png

What happens in this case if I click on another enemy? For instance, if I want to put DoTs on a whole group, can I use the same binding and target enemies like normal?

I don't understand the question, to be honest. You want to know what happens if you target an enemy with you <tt> macro?

Sophia

The later. A mouseover macro allows you to automatically target whatever is under your cursor, be it something in the game world or on your UI. It's really effective as far as healing goes, as it allows you to keep the boss targeted while you heal.

If you make a macro of "/ac physick <mo>" and then add it to your hotbar, then that ability will cast Physick on whoever you have under your cursor.

Yes. I personally don't like mouse over because it can easily lead to casting the spell on the wrong target or yourself when you intended it to be on a someone else. The mouse over target is <mo>.
I don't recommend using mouse-over, more often than not you'll end up healing someone else or trying to heal the mobs. I use F1-2-3 to change target.

You two must be incredibly clumsy with the mouse or something. I've never had the issue of mis-targeting things ever since I started using them in World of Warcraft. Nor have I had an issue in FFXIV and I've been using them since the beginning. o_O;

Ken

You two must be incredibly clumsy with the mouse or something. I've never had the issue of mis-targeting things ever since I started using them in World of Warcraft. Nor have I had an issue in FFXIV and I've been using them since the beginning. o_O;

yeah probably

LProtag

I don't understand the question, to be honest. You want to know what happens if you target an enemy with you <tt> macro?

Well, my idea is I'd use the macro to replace the skill in my hotbar. So yes, I'd like to know what would happen if you target an anime with a <tt> macro.

The later. A mouseover macro allows you to automatically target whatever is under your cursor, be it something in the game world or on your UI. It's really effective as far as healing goes, as it allows you to keep the boss targeted while you heal.

Ah, so the two might be mutually exclusive. If I do mouseover heals I might as well not use <tt> macros for DoTs.

What happens if I don't have anything moused over? Will the heal go off on my target still or will it do nothing?

Do people normally replace their only use of the skill with the macro? I'd rather not have two copies lying around for different situations. I've got my main heals on Q, E, R, and my fairy's embrace on Z so I can spam that. Then I've got my aetherflow stuff on 1-4 and my DPS stuff on shift 1-4. I'm trying to fit the rest of the stuff in there somewhere too. I'd prefer to keep it all as compact as possible.

Ken

Well, my idea is I'd use the macro to replace the skill in my hotbar. So yes, I'd like to know what would happen if you target an anime with a <tt> macro.

it'd become the best anime

i think because the <tt> would be invalid the skill wouldnt go off. yoou can get around this by adding a <t> line after it to default to if the first line fails

LProtag

Also you guys are the best for putting up with all my annoying questions both in the FC chat and here. Thanks so much. I probably would have no idea what I was doing and would be way more likely to put down the game before reaching end game content and giving it a chance without your help.

i think because the <tt> would be invalid the skill wouldnt go off. yoou can get around this by adding a <t> line after it to default to if the first line fails

Ahhh, so you can put contingencies afterward that only take effect if the first line doesn't work? Good to know.

Sophia

Ah, so the two might be mutually exclusive. If I do mouseover heals I might as well not use <tt> macros for DoTs.

What happens if I don't have anything moused over? Will the heal go off on my target still or will it do nothing?

Do people normally replace their only use of the skill with the macro? I'd rather not have two copies lying around for different situations. I've got my main heals on Q, E, R, and my fairy's embrace on Z so I can spam that. Then I've got my aetherflow stuff on 1-4 and my DPS stuff on shift 1-4. I'm trying to fit the rest of the stuff in there somewhere too. I'd prefer to keep it all as compact as possible.

If you have no valid target, it will do nothing. You can add an additional modifier (/ac Physick <t>) after the mouseover action to ensure it goes off on your target if your mouseover isn't valid. I personally have replaced all my single target heal abilities with mouseover macros, seeing as I have no need for the regular versions.

Correct. Unlike other MMOs, if there is no valid target for a skill, it simply won't go off.

They changed this behavior once in a minor patch, and people complained on the forums because it broke a lot of crafting macros, so it got changed back. :p

Taruranto

Yeah, it doesn't go off
it would be fun if you could miasma the tank to troll the WHM tough.

Also since you seems interested in how SCH works...

LProtag

Alright, I'll try out all these tips and if I still feel completely overwhelmed I'll probably just switch to SMN.

I'm not feeling super overwhelmed and I haven't had many huge screwups (besides getting myself killed by Titan 3 times and trying Brayflox with a horrible group... oh and the few times where I've run out of MP without realizing it) but I have had some cases where the tank's HP has gone down to 100-200 and I panic like crazy. I realize at 38 I don't have all the tools to deal with that kind of situation though. Also I just have to assume it's normal for everyone to get into panic situations while learning (and probably while playing).

Thanks again!

Taruranto

SCH gets easier to play as you progress since you don't have all the skills yet. Leeches and Lustrate are 2 important skills you don't get until much later.

Oh yeah, since you are new to this (I though you were level 50 lol) I wouldn't suggest to run dungeons in Cleric Stance until you feel safe and get Lustrate. Learning how to manage your fairy is pretty important though, so I suggest to start to learn to manually-embrace as soon you can. Makes thing much easier also.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But but but Thunder and Aero aren't cross class skills
._.

LProtag

SCH gets easier to play as you progress since you don't have all the skills yet. Leeches and Lustrate are 2 important skills you don't get until much later.

Oh yeah, since you are new to this (I though you were level 50 lol) I wouldn't suggest to run dungeons in Cleric Stance until you feel safe and get Lustrate. Learning how to manage your fairy is pretty important though, so I suggest to start to learn to manually-embrace as soon you can. Makes thing much easier also.

Since I went for the split between INT/MND because I was unsure, my INT has actually been higher than MND, so Cleric Stance wasn't really that useful. I ended up doing around the same amount of damage, but my heals suffered. I realize eventually I'll fix the stat distribution and have to practice shifting in and out of Cleric Stance. Though it seems fine to stay out of it and focus on healing for the time being.

I am manual embracing, though sometimes I'll let the fairy auto-heal if we're fighting really easy trash. I do try to preemptively embrace around 80ish% though.

Also trying to practice splitting my fairy's heals and my own between different members of the party. It's pretty fun. I think mouse overs would be super helpful for this.

two pvp matches were neither group could take a point b/c of imba healers. so dumb. I just sat on the point for like 15 minutes and just casted ruin 2 and lustrates and couldnt die. One match I was lbed twice and they still couldnt take down the other healers lol. fix can't come soon enough

elyetis

two pvp matches were neither group could take a point b/c of imba healers. so dumb. I just sat on the point for like 15 minutes and just casted ruin 2 and lustrates and couldnt die. One match I was lbed twice and they still couldnt take down the other healers lol. fix can't come soon enough
I don't really see how they can fix it without either making healers too weak if there is less than 3 of them or putting a job/class limitation per party, which seems like the opposite of what they are aiming for.

WolvenOne

Wish you could save a crossbar set-up specifically for PVP. Only reason I run MRD at this point is because I don't want to bother with changing up settings/crossbar arrangements every time I go into Frontlines.

Sophia

Wish you could save a crossbar set-up specifically for PVP. Only reason I run MRD at this point is because I don't want to bother with changing up settings/crossbar arrangements every time I go into Frontlines.

Won't happen. They explained why on forums. However they were considering setting up a compromise in that you can designate specific bars to only appear/activate in PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom