• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

So we've had a guy who quit after ARR's launch with pretty much a decked out 1.0 character return. He did some ARR content, but it's been a blast doing the old stuff. Literally had moments where I ran content that I recall doing 40 or 50 times over but blanking out hard doing it now. It's like playing the game all over again except you now steamroll everything. AV is the absolute worst dungeon and has been since 1.0, fuck everything about that shit.

dark_chris

It's not just 2 mechanics though. There are many rooms for errors in T7. Something like kiter and another range DPS got double fire-balled or someone accidentally stone their group. Tbh, I really like how T7 is designed. It's truly communication check. Our group has been doing so well in this turn I guess because we use Mumble and we call out almost everything: when to push, when to slow down, who has shriek, petrifaction etc. It's just one of those fight that I don't see how echo-buff would make it any easier. T4 on the other hand is just a mindless DPS race since beginning and that's why it became laughably easy after echo nerfed.

It's delicious that for a month that we've been trying to learn the battle and last week we one shotted T7.

The big stumbling blocks on T7 are controlling phases. Which can be really hard on DPS classes, since the habit is to constantly burn ASAP, and the sheer room for error. I mean yeah, sure there's only two major mechanics you have to deal with at all times, but there are other mechanics that have to be juggled periodically as well, and only one person out of eight needs to drop the ball for things to become really hairy, really fast.

With the addition of an official HP% tracker, there's no excuse for this. It's not hard to just stop dps (outside of dot ticks, but you give yourself room for that by stopping a few % short of your mark). Especially on a fight that has such a forgiving enrage timer.

studyguy

I kind of want to level a marauder/warrior. They seem to be more fun to play than a PLD (more attacks and I assume damage).

It is different, more active... for what that counts in tanking. If you can PLD tank, you don't have to do much to adjust for WAR and vice versa. We have the least dynamic job requirements in the game.
Please give us more than more tank swaps, yoshida

It is different, more active... for what that counts in tanking. If you can PLD tank, you don't have to do much to adjust for WAR and vice versa. We have the least dynamic job requirements in the game.
Please give us more than more tank swaps, yoshida

Didn't they say something about a new tanking class being added with the rogue/ninja update?

Regardless I would just like a change of pace.

Maybe I should finish my weapon relic quest first though.

Things that can go wrong in T7:

- Tank with voice stones healers
- DPS stones MT
- OT stones DPS
- RDPS keeps AOE'ing healers
- People with Shriek sucks at positioning behind Renaud/They don't even know they have a circle icon debuff.
- Kitter sucks
- Kitter tries the 4 stack method but he sucks
- Someone kills Renaud just before Shriek
- No one kills Renaud before he goes mad
- Renaud/Voice/Shriek bad timing
- Bad DPS on 3 add phase
- Bad OT on 3 add phase
- "Why should I bother to evade Melusine AOE---ops I'm dead" DPS
- "OH MY GOD THERE'S 4 ADD! Let's attack randomly and get stonned trying" moment
- Dying at purple pools
- More stoned people in the easiest part of the fight
- Healer dons't stone Renaud

And a large etc..., never doubt the power of people going more derp. Sometimes I wonder ho many of these guys reched T7...(paying maybe)

I kind of want to level a marauder/warrior. They seem to be more fun to play than a PLD (more attacks and I assume damage).

Is more fun for me.

At least you aren't stuck to the same combo for 10 minutes. Basically unless some pt goes "Pls go PLD, WAR sucks" I play WAR these days.

studyguy

Didn't they say something about a new tanking class being added with the rogue/ninja update?

Regardless I would just like a change of pace.

I don't know, even if they did, it'd would take more than just a new class to change to ongoing issues with tanking. They've slowly gotten better about it, not everything is tank n spank anymore or a simple tank swap. Ramuh made tanks pick up debuffs, Hullbreaker forced them to duck into bubbles or flung them across the stage. Stone Vigil made tanks unnecessary for some fights, etc.

Then again there's times like Levi MT which is basically a 10 minute long conversation with Leviathan about the finer points of standing in one spot. It depends, I like to think they're trying though. The newer dungeons have been a bit better about it.

I don't know, even if they did, it'd would take more than just a new class to change to ongoing issues with tanking. They've slowly gotten better about it, not everything is tank n spank anymore or a simple tank swap. Ramuh made tanks pick up debuffs, Hullbreaker forced them to duck into bubbles or flung them across the stage. Stone Vigil made tanks unnecessary for some fights, etc.

Then again there's times like Levi MT which is basically a 10 minute long conversation with Leviathan about the finer points of standing in one spot. It depends, I like to think they're trying though. The newer dungeons have been a bit better about it.

But then we have ST laughable tank designed fights....

I mean when you have trouble getting 23 other idiots to pull off simple maneuvers... You all saw CT 1, that atomos section was like a mountain to some of those tanks. I don't blame them all that much there.

Moogle EX and Ramuh give me hope as a tank. Levi was the step back.

SOLDIER

I don't suppose there's a thread out there for helping existing players recruit newbies so they can reap the rewards like the two-person mount?

I really want that mount, but don't know anyone personally who would be interested in the game, let alone sub for 3 months.

studyguy

I don't suppose there's a thread out there for helping existing players recruit newbies so they can reap the rewards like the two-person mount?

I really want that mount, but don't know anyone personally who would be interested in the game, let alone sub for 3 months.

I'm considering recruiting my wallet. He's a pretty cool guy.

I think reddit has an entire subreddit devoted to this, might be worth a shot? I don't know how GAF falls on this.

- buy another copy of the game
- make up a new account
- pay subscription for 3 months

I'm currently at 2nd step. I skipped the first one and now considering if the third step really worth that damn chocobo.

Is more fun for me.

At least you aren't stuck to the same combo for 10 minutes. Basically unless some pt goes "Pls go PLD, WAR sucks" I play WAR these days.

Tell me about it. PLD mainly consists of Fast > Savage > Halone and spamming Circle and Spirits Within whenever they are off cooldown.

Riot Blade might as well not exist as I have never run into mana issues.

By far my least favourite kind of boss. For PLD it's even worse since you don't do anything other than the usual 1 2 3 combo. I haven't gotten to Ramuh or Hullbreaker yet but it's good to hear that they are improving somewhat. I'll be happy with trying out the new class as long as it doesn't result in PLD tier of blandness (I still like PLD but there are quite a few situations where the rigidness of the PLD's options becomes very apparent).

Once I make some headway with Marauder I'll make another post here about it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

It's fun for all of ten minutes.

WolvenOne

Moogle EX and Ramuh give me hope as a tank. Levi was the step back.

I like to pretend I'm a range limited DPS during Leviathan. There are actually several instances in that fight where you can help out in that regard.

Also, you still have to dodge crap, just like everyone else.

Ken

Things that can go wrong in T7:

- Tank with voice stones healers
- DPS stones MT
- OT stones DPS
- RDPS keeps AOE'ing healers
- People with Shriek sucks at positioning behind Renaud/They don't even know they have a circle icon debuff.
- Kitter sucks
- Kitter tries the 4 stack method but he sucks
- Someone kills Renaud just before Shriek
- No one kills Renaud before he goes mad
- Renaud/Voice/Shriek bad timing
- Bad DPS on 3 add phase
- Bad OT on 3 add phase
- "Why should I bother to evade Melusine AOE---ops I'm dead" DPS
- "OH MY GOD THERE'S 4 ADD! Let's attack randomly and get stonned trying" moment
- Dying at purple pools
- More stoned people in the easiest part of the fight
- Healer dons't stone Renaud

And a large etc..., never doubt the power of people going more derp. Sometimes I wonder ho many of these guys reched T7...(paying maybe)

I don't get your argument because you basically listed things that the designers purposely added in to impede people from a win. It's tantamount to saying "because there are mechanics the fight is hard."

Taruranto

I speak from my experience, but I didn't even train much for T7 or T8. I just watched a video, got a solid grasp of the mechanics and dived in. Cleared T8 the second night I tried it and I don't remember T7 but it wasn't too far behind. And I also play more casually compared to pre-2.1.

These fights are easily scripted, if you are DPS in T7 all you have to do is to pay attention to 2 mechanics (Ok and fireballs, but I think that happened only once to me) And honestly, I've raised enough people in T7 to know that unless MT or OT die, you can recover if you are fast enough.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or anything, it's just how I perceive scripted fights. It's basically learning a new dance every time.

That's why I'm not interested in T9 particularity, It's not much of a test of my ability, but how much I can memorize these 1HK mechanics (also new gears in 3 months)

Ramuh is sleep inducing if you have a BRD baiting in the water and the healers know when to grap orbs.

Ken

I speak from my experience, but I didn't even train much for T7 or T8. I just watched a video, got a solid grasp of the mechanics and dived in. Cleared T8 the second night I tried it and I don't remember T7 but it wasn't too far behind. And I also play more casually compared to pre-2.1.

That's why I'm not interested in T9 particularity, It's not a test of my ability, but how much I can memorize these 1HK mechanics.

that's funny because how you learned t7 and t8 is how i learned t9

aceface

These fights are easily scripted, if you are DPS in T7 all you have to do is to pay attention to 2 mechanics (Ok and fireballs, but I think that happened only once to me) And honestly, I've raised enough people in T7 to know that unless MT or OT die, you can recover if you are fast enough.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or anything, it's just how I perceive scripted fights. It's basically learning a new dance every time.

That's why I'm not interested in T9 particularity, It's not much of atest of my ability, but how much I can memorize these 1HK mechanics (also new gears in 3 months)

Ramuh is sleep inducing if you have a BRD baiting in the water and the healers know when to grap orbs.

What's the alternative? Isn't performing the mechanics of the fight a test of your ability? Or do you mean the ability to squeeze out as much dps/healing/threat as possible? Because it seems like that's what Turn 9 tests, in addition to mechanics.

Taruranto

What's the alternative? Isn't performing the mechanics of the fight a test of your ability? Or do you mean the ability to squeeze out as much dps/healing/threat as possible? Because it seems like that's what Turn 9 tests, in addition to mechanics.

I guess? But to me, it feels more like a test to memorize these mechanics, jump the rope basically. Not to mention every phase of the fight seems radically different from the other, just like the Twintania.

I guess? But to me, it feels more like a test to memorize these mechanics, jump the rope basically. Not to mention every phase of the fight seems radically different from the other, just like the Twintania.

What is an example in your book of a "hard" MMO raid boss, or a raid boss that is satisfying to you?

Jomjom

Banned
Tried googling everywhere, but I still can't find an answer.

Anyone know if the 1.0 Buddy Passes still act as a game key for ARR?

I don't get your argument because you basically listed things that the designers purposely added in to impede people from a win. It's tantamount to saying "because there are mechanics the fight is hard."

Was trying to make a point, I think saying "there's just 2 mechanics" make it sound as the fight is easy, when there's quite a lot of things which can make the run blow up to pieces.

Talaysen

What do you even use them for?
I saw the gardening guide has them for the king tomato I think, do they allow mixing for the choco leveling item as well? I honestly don't care either way, money isn't a big deal.

Yes, they can give you the choco leveling item seeds. That's what I use them for.

ibuWUlHng8lZdJ.png

Original artwork by Strawberry Shortcake (androidcandy).

We are pleased to announce our first GAF FC contest, Summers in Eorzea! We want you to share photos of your summer vacation in Eorzea with us. The best entries will win some great prizes! We have over 1 million gil in cash prizes and minion prizes like the Onion Prince, Eggplant Knight, King Tomato, Mandragora Queen, Tiny Tapir, Magic Broom, and Plush Cushion.

Visit the website at http://neogaf.guildwork.com and click HERE for details.

CLBridges

I don't know if there's room in the GAF FC currently but I submitted an app through the guild-work site. I'll log on in a bit to track down a GAF member to request membership through the game.

Tabris

You realize these fights are as easy or hard as your weakest member right? T6-T8 are the first fights in the game where someone not reacting fast enough or not following directions or not knowing what to do can wipe the party, including DPS.

So it's great you had an easy experience. But some people don't react as quickly or panic with too many mechanics, and it only takes 1 or 2 of these members to slow down the entire party. So temper your opinion there, as it does sound elitist.

My static took 5 weeks to beat T7. 1-2 hours a week. We were wiping constantly due to bad mistakes and slow reaction times while people were learning all of the different scenarios.

We are pleased to announce our first GAF FC contest, Summers in Eorzea! We want you to share photos of your summer vacation in Eorzea with us. The best entries will win some great prizes! We have over 1 million gil in cash prizes and minion prizes like the Onion Prince, Eggplant Knight, King Tomato, Mandragora Queen, Tiny Tapir, Magic Broom, and Plush Cushion.

I'm greatly intrigued by this...

Teknoman

ibuWUlHng8lZdJ.png

Well....looks like its time to grab the ol fishin rod and hat.

LProtag

I'm the most inconsistent SCH ever. I went from getting a ton of compliments while running some dungeons to getting OHKO'd by Titan 3 times in a row because I was either too focused on heals or accidentally hit the wrong button to move out of the way...

I guess I just need more practice. Also being level 50 would be nice.

Sophia

I'm the most inconsistent SCH ever. I went from getting a ton of compliments while running some dungeons to getting OHKO'd by Titan 3 times in a row because I was either too focused on heals or accidentally hit the wrong button to move out of the way...

I guess I just need more practice. Also being level 50 would be nice.

As a scholar, you can preemptively heal and Titan has a noticeable pattern. Plan your Adloquium and Succor casts before the events happen so you can focus on moving when they do. Then use your fairy to make up for any downtime in healing while you move.

It does take a bit of practice, especially if you're not used to preemptive healing in a game before.

LProtag

Should I be so focused like, 75% of the time, on the top left corner of my screen where the party and their HP is listed?

LProtag

Hm, I'll mess around with it.

I'm starting to get into switching around the keybinding and everything. I tried putting my DPS stuff on Shift+1-4 so that I focus more on healing, because I had the issue coming off the easier dungeons where I didn't have to do much healing myself.

Probably going to get THM to 26 for swiftcast, though I'm only 38 on SCH.

I guess if I really suck too much as dungeons go on I can just play SMN, haha. Less pressure, I would assume.

Sophia

Should I be so focused like, 75% of the time, on the top left corner of my screen where the party and their HP is listed?

Depends on the fight. Damage in this game is largely predictable and avoidable. So if you're so intently focused on the HP bars you either don't know the fight as well as you think you do or you've picked up a bad habit.

On Titan Extreme for example, Landslide almost always follows after a Mountain Buster, and Mountain Buster almost always follows after Plumes. When you know this, you know the damage is going to be Plumes (potential AoE, succor before hand) then Mountain Buster (Only hits the tank, Adloq) then Landslide (No damage assuming everyone is competent)

Also what it's not necessary, I would suggest Frumix's advice too. I personally play with mine in the upper left corner with no problem what so ever. However, going hand in hand with the bad habit thing I mentioned, not everyone likes that setup and many prefer to move it closer to the middle.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Depends on the fight. Damage in this game is largely predictable and avoidable. So if you're so intently focused on the HP bars you either don't know the fight as well as you think you do or you've picked up a bad habit.

On Titan Extreme for example, Landslide almost always follows after a Mountain Buster, and Mountain Buster almost always follows Plumes. When you know this, you know the damage is going to be Plumes (potential AoE, succor before hand) then Mountain Buster (Only hits the tank, Adloq) then Landslide (No damage assuming everyone is competent)

Also what it's not necessary, I would suggest Frumix's advice too. I personally play with mine in the upper left corner with no problem what so ever. However, going hand in hand with the bad habit thing I mentioned, not everyone likes that setup and many prefer to move it closer to the middle.

Some people work with the HP bars above characters where nameplates are, and also use mouseover heals. It's a pretty pro thing to do but on some fights where you need a tight stack (like T6 and T8) isn't a solution.

Sophia

Some people work with the HP bars above characters where nameplates are, and also use mouseover heals. It's a pretty pro thing to do but on some fights where you need a tight stack (like T6 and T8) isn't a solution.

I use mouseover heals myself when using the KB/M setup. It's pretty nice, and by far the best way to heal regardless of where your UI is or means of targeting. Although it's unnecessary with the game's longer-than-average GCD length.

UI is largely one of preference tho. If LeadProtagonist thinks he's watching the bars too much, and knows the fights, then perhaps he should move it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom