• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Anyhow, I feel I now have enough experience with PVP to comment.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. I'm getting a feel for how scoring system works, so I'm starting to do a bit more than simply following the rest of the party and attacking things. As for balance, as a WAR/MRD none of the other classes feel particularly difficult to deal with, except healers. I can wreck most healers, but the moment I come across one that can play their class well things come to a crawl. I can still usually down them, eventually, but I almost always need the assistance of another player to do so.

Seriously, it took me nearly ten minutes to kill a healer in one round. I got a single kill during that round, and dealt 80K damage.

But, yeah, take the edge off healers a bit, and I'll have no complaints.

I'm about to jump in on the PS4, it's my first MMO so hopefully it won't be too overwhelming.

From what I understand from the OT, to play with GAF I should join the Ultros world, right?
Apologies for the incredibly basic question.

Ken

I'm about to jump in on the PS4, it's my first MMO so hopefully it won't be too overwhelming.

From what I understand from the OT, to play with GAF I should join the Ultros world, right?

yea the bulk of gaf that posts here is on ultros

IMBored

Yes, Ultros all the way. Be warned, it may be full right now, but if it is try latter.
FFXIV is also my first MMO, and it was surprisingly easy to get into. I didn't know what roles where (tank, healer, dps) and only found out in the first dungeon, but even that is easy to grasp.

How should I go about balancing my desynthesis skill levels? Just completed the quest earlier today. I'm interested in getting the demimateria, but not for book purposes. I rather sell them for gil

yea the bulk of gaf that posts here is on ultros

Yes, Ultros all the way. Be warned, it may be full right now, but if it is try latter.
FFXIV is also my first MMO, and it was surprisingly easy to get into. I didn't know what roles where (tank, healer, dps) and only found out in the first dungeon, but even that is easy to grasp.

Great, thanks.

One more question- I'm in Europe, does that matter?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
ffxiv_07082014_12193825j7u.png

I don't see you linking a picture of this match, Kagari!!!!

Great, thanks.

One more question- I'm in Europe, does that matter?

There's quite a few people on in European times, though admittedly most of them are from the UK so if you're from Russia or something it might be harder to find people.

Tiops

I'm at level 42, really liking the game.

Yesterday I passed through Sunken Temple of Qarn Stone Vigil for the first time. Finally some dungeons where you have to move a lot and with some interesting mechanics. I know that it's just the start and the game will be way harder from now on, but those dungeons got me hyped for the high level content.

And it's pretty satisfying to get the 3 commendations as a Tank (got them on Stone Vigil), but I'm worried already about how mad people get when you screw up in the end game content.

plake

I will be glad for the people who get a shortcut through the worst part of the relic saga, and pleased that I can trick out my Zenith weapons.

Pls, animus books are by far the worst. Atma is a walk in the park in comparison. Novus is like a vacation in the sun compared to the other two (not counting zenith obviously).

Claymore

I'm at level 42, really liking the game.

Yesterday I passed through Sunken Temple of Qarn Stone Vigil for the first time. Finally some dungeons where you have to move a lot and with some interesting mechanics. I know that it's just the start and the game will be way harder from now on, but those dungeons got me hyped for the high level content.

And it's pretty satisfying to get the 3 commendations as a Tank (got them on Stone Vigil), but I'm worried already about how mad people get when you screw up in the end game content.

In my exp people are like "gotto go fast, gotto go hard" in higher lvl dungeons. Also often much less friendly.

When tanking for the first tine I would advice to say its your first run there. People often have more patience then. If you really want to prepare you could watch a vid of the dungeon but that takes the surprise away

Tiops

In my exp people are like "gotto go fast, gotto go hard" in higher lvl dungeons. Also often much less friendly.

When tanking for the first tine I would advice to say its your first run there. People often have more patience then. If you really want to prepare you could watch a vid of the dungeon but that takes the surprise away
I do say to people that it's my first time and to help me if I'm doing something wrong. I don't watch videos, but I read some tutorials to see if there is anything special I have to do with bosses or specific mobs.

But I heard that people like to speedrun dungeons, actually I've encountered some rushy players in low level dungeons before. It's hard when the DPS just rushes into a mob and don't give me time to prepare for stuff and draw aggro first, but apparently it's something I have to learn how to deal from now on.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I do say to people that it's my first time and to help me if I'm doing something wrong. I don't watch videos, but I read some tutorials to see if there is anything special I have to do with bosses or specific mobs.

But I heard that people like to speedrun dungeons, actually I've encountered some rushy players in low level dungeons before. It's hard when the DPS just rushes into a mob and don't give me time to prepare for stuff and draw aggro first, but apparently it's something I have to learn how to deal from now on.

DPS pulling shouldn't be a thing you get used to and you'll see it a lot less as you get to a higher level.

I miss pulling as a hunter in WoW so I can understand if say an archer in a low level dungeon thinks they are to pull.

Edit: oh wait, you're in your lvl 40's.

studyguy

Ran with new replacement members in my static today,
we only made it to the end of T6 D:

At least we're running again after a month!

studyguy

Oh geez, heeere we go. =l

This changes nothing.
Some people will get banned on the official forums after getting mad and everything will go along as normal.
GOOD NIGHT SWEET PRINCE should be bannable

Throwing it out there, the Fanfest reward is fucking hideous.
I'd still want it though, but never wear it I guess.

^ ilvl 91 whm mad that they used all their mp spamming medica ii only to have a Reset King like Silent Protagonist come along

Get wrecked!

iammeiam

SE's official stance seems to be that early pulls are fine because you can't claim a mob until you hit it, but resets aren't because whoever's hit the mob has a claim on it you're not allowed to negate.

Which kind of continues the weird competitive/cooperative mishmash that hunts have been so far, so I guess it makes sense.

Throwing it out there, the Fanfest reward is fucking hideous.
I'd still want it though, but never wear it I guess.

I wish it was more openly available solely because I think you could make a pretty good horror movie scenario out of a swarm of costumed lalafell descending on the major cities like locusts.

studyguy

I've been so spoiled by Excalibur style hunts, all this drama surrounding other servers just doesn't matter to me. I wish you all the best in your hunts. Also FUCK YEAH GOT MUH ONION PRINCE LAST NIGHT! Now for the rest~

aceface

Oh geez, heeere we go. =l

Don't see how they could really do anything unless someone said something like "HAHA you don't get credit cause I reset" in shout. I think for the S's a lot of the time they don't even get reset on purpose but just because they disappear.

Unrelated, my tale of RNG woe:
-Grinded enough hunt seals to get 4 sands, never had a log book drop.
-Grinded fates in the same zone for a week without atma dropping, gave up farming atmas
-The last two times an Oil dropped in ST I rolled a 1

D:

studyguy

Don't see how they could really do anything unless someone said something like "HAHA you don't get credit cause I reset" in shout. I think for the S's a lot of the time they don't even get reset on purpose but just because they disappear.

Unrelated, my tale of RNG woe:
-Grinded enough hunt seals to get 4 sands, never had a log book drop.
-Grinded fates in the same zone for a week without atma dropping, gave up farming atmas
-The last two times an Oil dropped in ST I rolled a 1

D:

I've never gotten an oil through ST, ever.
Always get outrolled. Had a 98 once and was like, fuck yeah nailed it.
Nope

Darte

I've never gotten an oil through ST, ever.
Always get outrolled. Had a 98 once and was like, fuck yeah nailed it.
Nope

I always rolled single digits on oils...

4, 3, 5, 1, 1, 1.

Oddly enough, I rolled a 6 last week and I won an oil...only because no one else rolled lol

Hasney

I heard the Ixali beast quests would be different somehow. I hope so, trying to rush the Sylph one since I never bothered after hearing how terrible it was
It's horrible, so many fucking random agro mobs in that area!

Fucking daily quests

Also 14 Hour stream to commemorate the anniversary. 14 hours of some poor server having to trail yoshida all day.

If I got the carrying quest with the Slyphs, I just rejected it and took one with less rep. Fuck those quests with all those mobs.

Somehow managed to do the last quest for them in one go though.

aceface

The Ixal quests are going to involve crafting. But, they said you would not have to have any crafting classes leveled to do them. I have no idea how it's going to work.

supergiz

Anyone have a link to picture of fan fest mog suit?

BTW 1 more fish to go for my master rod, then I will be true master fisher

Kyzer

Banned
Hey guys...I played the first month, really loved the game, but once the onslaught of games began releasing late last year I couldn't keep up, but I wanna start playing again. Would you guys be willing to assist me with questions and stuff like that? Also I'd like to get back into GAF if possible...has a lot changed since last year? Are FATEs still the move for levelling?

studyguy

The Ixal quests are going to involve crafting. But, they said you would not have to have any crafting classes leveled to do them. I have no idea how it's going to work.

They could just add new items to level 1-5 crafting logs specifically for the quests. You can make anything up to 5 basically naked.

Hugstable

Banned
Ugh the Rubber Banding in Final Fantasy XIV is so bad for me, and I have no idea how to get rid of it and enjoy the game normally. Right now it's unplayable for me as it was yesterday since I'm attacking an enemy, then everything just stops except my movement and 5-10 seconds later everything gets caught up and goes wild, usually ending with my death since I had alot of time where I couldn't do anything at all. Is there any fix to this or has anyone else had this problem? I'm really afraid that I just bought this game on Steam for 25$ and it's gonna be a waste as the game doesn't work for me :(

Isaccard

Ugh the Rubber Banding in Final Fantasy XIV is so bad for me, and I have no idea how to get rid of it and enjoy the game normally. Right now it's unplayable for me as it was yesterday since I'm attacking an enemy, then everything just stops except my movement and 5-10 seconds later everything gets caught up and goes wild, usually ending with my death since I had alot of time where I couldn't do anything at all. Is there any fix to this or has anyone else had this problem? I'm really afraid that I just bought this game on Steam for 25$ and it's gonna be a waste as the game doesn't work for me :(

Sounds like an ISP problem

Finally got my relic weapon yesterday. Now I just need the 900 myth to upgrade it to the next level.

Also, I kind of want to get the game on PC now, but my whole reason for getting it on PS4 was because of the better performance. But then there's the whole convenience aspect of having the game available on my PC.

Is there any way I can test out the PC version again without having to buy it again? I have a sub going if that counts for anything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Finally got my relic weapon yesterday. Now I just need the 900 myth to upgrade it to the next level.

Also, I kind of want to get the game on PC now, but my whole reason for getting it on PS4 was because of the better performance. But then there's the whole convenience aspect of having the game available on my PC.

Is there any way I can test out the PC version again without having to buy it again? I have a sub going if that counts for anything.

http://www.ffxiv-freetrial.com/

WolvenOne

On resetting Hunts.

Really depends on why you're resetting, and the situation. Useually I reset if either somebody face pulled or deliberately pulled before a suitable number of players for the mark in question arrived. I'll also reset if there was an announced pull time and somebody pulled it well before then.

Under these circumstances, I feel fairly confident that no GM will take action against me.

Claymore

I havent seen DPS pull in HM dungeons. You should be prepared for the occasional guys wanting to speedrun (as you said). If DPS rush the mobs I always ask them friendly, to attack the marked target and to not split dps amongst two targets, but to focus on the marked one.

But just pull (and mark) with confidence and the party should follow your lead. On the second or third run you should be able to control the flow of the run a bit.

1000 seals later...

J2LvFVW.jpg

Totally worth it, right guys?
WpuApWw.gif

Bro. I FEEL YOU.

I told myself the tank pants where pointless. Then they where the last thing I needed. I noticed the texture or color popping out from everything I used and it bothered me. Then I bought the pants and everything was right again.

Tiops

DPS pulling shouldn't be a thing you get used to and you'll see it a lot less as you get to a higher level.

I miss pulling as a hunter in WoW so I can understand if say an archer in a low level dungeon thinks they are to pull.

Edit: oh wait, you're in your lvl 40's.

I havent seen DPS pull in HM dungeons. You should be prepared for the occasional guys wanting to speedrun (as you said). If DPS rush the mobs I always ask them friendly, to attack the marked target and to not split dps amongst two targets, but to focus on the marked one.

But just pull (and mark) with confidence and the party should follow your lead. On the second or third run you should be able to control the flow of the run a bit.

That's nice to hear, I thought that the speedrun mentality would make people pull mobs before me.

Man, I can't wait to get to the hard content. I watchet Titan EX and it's a completely different battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom