• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMBored

What are the options? Can you choose for str/vit or is it just a choice between acc/vit/det?

Also, what kind of items convert to savage aim and savage mights?

Just secondary stats, can't increase str/dex, that increases automatically when you turn in the scroll. You can however put more than two secondary stats on the weapon, a mix of acc, det, crit, whatever.

Any Dow gear can turn into savage materia, but the changes of it turning into IV materia are higher when you use 45+ level gear. You'll want IV Savage materia, as it's going for 500-600k in the market.

Eldren

How do you guys handle need and greed in dungeons? Had a little discussion about that in the gaf fc chat yesterday...usually in low level dungeons, I pass on everything but when it comes to endgame dungeons, I will need /greed on everything for the seals or glamour. I have never had anyone complain about this and if someone asked if they could have it, I would let them have it.

For low level dungeons, particularly when someone in the group is clearly at the level the dungeon is intended for, I ask if anyone is after specific gear and then I pass on whatever they want. I'll greed on most other things for glamour or seals if they don't need it for gearing their class. For higher level stuff I'll need or greed on whatever I can.

Looking forward to Moonfire Faire, this'll be my first seasonal event. The gear looks pretty nice and the Bomb Dance has me intrigued.

Sophia

I think we can all safely assume that Patch 2.35 is on August 13th too. Seeing as the Moonfire Faire begins on August 14th. Mind you, we already had a week from the CM reps on the forums, but now there's an exact date.

How do you guys handle need and greed in dungeons? Had a little discussion about that in the gaf fc chat yesterday...usually in low level dungeons, I pass on everything but when it comes to endgame dungeons, I will need /greed on everything for the seals or glamour. I have never had anyone complain about this and if someone asked if they could have it, I would let them have it.

Pass in everything in low, only need on crafting items and gear I actually need in expert. Seals are so easy to come by and the limit is so low I'm not thinking about that, and my desynth levels are too low. I used to get salty when other pt members needed on gear they visibly didn't "need" because I was trying to gear up my other jobs, but I just take it as a given that no one in a pug gives a fuck

Blizzje

Just secondary stats, can't increase str/dex, that increases automatically when you turn in the scroll. You can however put more than two secondary stats on the weapon, a mix of acc, det, crit, whatever.

Any Dow gear can turn into savage materia, but the changes of it turning into IV materia are higher when you use 45+ level gear. You'll want IV Savage materia, as it's going for 500-600k in the market.

Cool. What are good dungeons to run to get the appropriate 45+ gear?

Reknoc

greed on low level dungeons if its for a class i'll be/am leveling up, pass if not.

Mesharey

Second coil lock where difficult for me to understand until the FC explained it clearly.
The leader of the party determines what turn can be entered, for example if he cleared T6 already he will enter T7, if you are on the party you will also go to T7 even if you haven't cleared T6 , but you be locked in T7, meaning you won't be able to do T6 th
1 clear a week. Checkpoint at furthest turn you enter.
Thanks!

IMBored

Hype get, all of the events I messed return. That illustrations are also great.

Cool. What are good dungeons to run to get the appropriate 45+ gear?

You can run some high level dungeons for gear, for you should consider crafting or buyng gear from the mb.

Claymore

I got shouted at for needing some i80 gear. The dps said I was stupid for needing since ive already had the item in i100. He said that it was common sense that I should greed instead of need. That was the first time for me someone complained about the loot system in a dungeon.

Sophia

If you're taking stuff for seals or glamour, it's generally considered good manners to hit greed instead of need. However, there's nothing wrong with asking the group if it's okay if you need on it for a specific reason other than an upgrade.

iammeiam

I greed in low level, will need in low level if I'm trying to level an alt class and could legitimately use it.

Endgame dungeons I generally need crafting mats and greed everything else, unless I'm there for a specific item. Then I need that one item. I'll pass if anybody asks for a specific item in advance (unless it's the one I'm there for, then I might greed and let fate decide, but won't pass entirely), or on the occasional run where RNG has been too nice to me for comfort (winning 3/3 rolls on the first two bosses against the party, I'll probably pass on the final boss chest.) It took me 10 runs to see pants drop from Hullbreaker; I was there for the pants, specifically, and wasn't going to greed so somebody else could go turn them into seals.

Part of the problem specific to the new dungeons is that I don't really see the gear as something that's particularly useful in and of itself; it's way, way too easy to get i90 these days to see i80 as an important step in somebody's character progression anymore.

kyoakuma

Banned
Am i the only one that thinks they need to 1, raise the cap on Sold tombs and 2 make the reset on monday morning?

I was doing hunts on wednesday night and i capped that night. Now i have no more soldiery tombs for the week T_T

elyetis

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/frontline/monthly/201407/?sort=rate

Frontlines standings for characters added. That one twin adder dude for victory rate in the sea of Maelstrom is kind of impressive.
Wow I'm actually ranked 23 in victory rate for my GC, and 89 for the server. Pretty happy about the result given the top 10 ( probably more ) is mostly people doing premade.

I hope that ladder will make some frontline linkshell appear, I might want to join one for some more 'serious' fun, some allies in solo queue really make me want to bang my head against a wall sometimes.

I don't pretend or care if people play fair, that is up to each individual person. I like that there is content now that has that choice, that everything isn't so sheltered that you never have to deal with hurt feelings or other people at all that you didn't decide to party with. Having a sense of server community doesn't mean that everyone gets along. It means you know and do things with the server at large instead of just whatever group you have formed.

well but that's what my suggestion was about. a hunt system that is tolerable and better designed. hunts in the current state don't even function for many people with low-key PCs or PS3s. i could tell you i don't care because it doesn't affect me, but that's not why i made that post.

i like competition, lots of it. but this game doesn't have open world pvp. so if you want to go that way, ask for the basics first. can't have a real unsheltered contest in this environment.

studyguy

Sonova, they did a spring cleaning on the hunt LS on Excal and I was apparently part of the shell that got pruned. Ask for a new shell and they're all full. Guys pls. Gotta wait for Anas to make another new shell ffs. Got two bloody logs at least!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Sonova, they did a spring cleaning on the hunt LS on Excal and I was apparently part of the shell that got pruned. Ask for a new shell and they're all full. Guys pls. Gotta wait for Anas to make another new shell ffs. Got two bloody logs at least!

Linkshells are actually pretty useless unless Anas is on.

studyguy

Linkshells are actually pretty useless unless Anas is on.

At least you can ask for a quick pickup through it and people occasionally post <POS>, but yeah, you're sorta right. Last night both Yolo, Anas and every other lead was gone or afk and it was like Can I get a party flag? No? Not even after 20m? Anyone updating the ToD page? No? Okay well...

It's fine though, in those cases the community tends to step up. I was keeping to ToD's on my own spreadsheet and when someone came back I handed the data over, meanwhile some leads at the time were calling windows. Dem Sranks btw, so good.
I died to Brontes though :< Fucking disappearing swings

iammeiam

I am so unreasonably hyped for seasonal events. More clothes I will never, ever wear, but the returning stuff should all be storable in the inn chests, right?

Valor

lol wow. Didint think they would do individual standings

Most wins for a player on Ultros in flames is 19 :lol
You sound surprised. I'm not sure why.

9 out of top 10 is in Maelstrom, lol

Edit: Nin Py ranks 6th on our server. wut
Nin Py getting carried is the only explanation, I think.

It should be noted that if you switch to Weekly and raise the number of matches, Flames do a lot better.
I think it's more surprising that people from Maelstrom are able to be in those rankings considering dat queue time. Maybe it's not the same on every server, though.

scy

My thoughts on it from other MMOs is "Need" if I'd use it on my current class, "Greed' if I'd use it on another class/DEing, and Pass otherwise. But one of my first dungeons in XIV had someone apparently caring a lot that I was greeding on loot for a different class so maybe I'm just unaware of how it goes around here :(

studyguy

Everyone keep up with Chinajoy 2014? Apparently Yoshida wants Hamlets back.
No more seals, pls, I've suffered enough

Also this
20140807080823a0duvwqy7fhfyar0.jpg

Valor

My thoughts on it from other MMOs is "Need" if I'd use it on my current class, "Greed' if I'd use it on another class/DEing, and Pass otherwise. But one of my first dungeons in XIV had someone apparently caring a lot that I was greeding on loot for a different class so maybe I'm just unaware of how it goes around here :(

Everyone gets butthurt way too easily over the Need/Greed thing. Very rarely does it ever -honestly- matter. I don't know why people get upset over Greed rolls, since if no one Needs it, it's essentially a free for all. The only time I ever really pass on gear is if I already have it and physically am not allowed to Greed/Need.

But yeah, when I LLDR, I just pass on everything because the seals are laughable and the other people probably can get more use out of it than I can.

Well I know the Convertible part, but to be more specific, if I were to waltz into Urth's Gift wearing one piece of gear that had an ilvl of 30-40, will the spiritbonding be faster for that item if I were kill multiple lvl 50 enemies?

Related to this. What equipment are you guys spiritbonding?

I've pretty much given up on battlecraft equipment, I always end up losing money with those.

For crafting, I'm doing Patrician sets. Each HQ piece sells for around 20k and the materias you get are often in the 20-30k range, with a chance of a IV (which is always CP!), so it's not so bad. I don't go out of my way to do it either. I'll SB while I'm crafting and I'll equip it on my WAR for dailies or killing mobs for my last goddamn book.

It's probably more profitable to just sell the sets on the MB, so I'm interested to know what you guys SB with. I'm thinking the key for crafting is ensuring Tier II materia with cheap equipment that doesn't get you Tier I and has a very little chance of a Tier III (since some are worth less). I don't know what that looks like yet.

IMBored

I've pretty much given up on battlecraft equipment, I always end up losing money with those.

For crafting, I'm doing Patrician sets. Each HQ piece sells for around 20k and the materias you get are often in the 20-30k range, with a chance of a IV (which is always CP!), so it's not so bad. I don't go out of my way to do it either. I'll SB while I'm crafting and I'll equip it on my WAR for dailies or killing mobs for my last goddamn book.

Well, I craft and gather my won stuff for sb, so I never loose money. Most of the time I do raptorskin set on the left side, and crafting gear 45-50 accessories.

scy

But yeah, when I LLDR, I just pass on everything because the seals are laughable and the other people probably can get more use out of it than I can.

I was surprised about it since everyone passed anyway on all the other drops, including the Gladiator that could've needed it anyway. Some things never change, I suppose.

I wanted it for my Gladiator that I hit 20 on (Free Trial limit) before doing the dungeons :x

Well, I craft and gather my won stuff for sb, so I never loose money. Most of the time I do raptorskin set on the left side, and crafting gear 45-50 accessories.

I do too, but if you turn a piece of equipment you could have sold instantly for 18-20k on the MB into a materia worth 3k, (after a great deal of work too) trust me, you've lost money.

It's probably more profitable to just sell the sets on the MB, so I'm interested to know what you guys SB with. I'm thinking the key for crafting is ensuring Tier II materia with cheap equipment that doesn't get you Tier I and has a very little chance of a Tier III (since some are worth less). I don't know what that looks like yet.

We've been systematically crafting up i70 sets and spiritbonding them in marathon CT/ST runs. It does take a little money, but just one Savage Might IV typically recoups all costs instantly (and you're guaranteed tier IV from spiritbonding i70 gear). If you get more than a couple---well--- :)

Also:

1. FC Buff
  2. Stick some Materia on it
  3. Use the rings if you want (I don't, I just use i70 rings instead)
  4. Get drunk off Spiritbond Potions (buy many because you never know how a ST run will turn out and the effect dissipates upon death).

dcye

You're a shiny symbol of Phoenix's community

I was quite obviously joking but good job not being overly defensive when I never actually said anything bad about Ultros.

Frontlines ranking stuff is really good, I like it a lot. Not something I really expected, its nice to be surprised.

Finding less and less motivation to log in these days. On non-raid days I'm only logging for an Expert to get the Alex then logging off. Syrcus was fun for the first 5 or so times, after 50 times it's lost its luster just like the Labyrinth did. I find people in Syrcus are far less crap than Labrynth so I guess Square did a better job of designing it. Hopefully 2.35 can add some little wrinkles to get me into it again, maybe I just need a break from full on play. I might get back into crafting and gathering, take it slow and be self-sufficient ala Grave Robber and make some gil haha.

IMBored

I do too, but if you turn a piece of equipment you could have sold instantly for 18-20k on the MB into a materia worth 3k, (after a great deal of work too) trust me, you've lost money.

I see where you're getting at now, you're right I need to check that market. However, getting a savage might IV from SB is so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom