• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, is it your Server's Maelstrom that keeps getting steamrolled? Always seems like that GC is either very good, or very :B

Either that or I have really bad luck.

The old "1 party for each outpost" strat is so outdated, most teams now steamroll with 2 parties every enemy outposts.

Then you have the guys who always go their way, instead of going in group...

Isaccard

The old "1 party for each outpost" strat is so outdated, most teams now steamroll with 2 parties every enemy outposts.

Frontlines has no metagame

Zerg and hold mid or get rekt

WolvenOne

Yeah, I don't get the stragglers, especially since I outright tell them through the party chat to get back to the main group.

Anyhow, the strat I prefer is to briefly split three ways, then keep B on standby until we know which of the two peripheral bases are going to need reinforcements. One of the teams might need to briefly pull back to regroup, but it also leaves one group open to charge the center if you've lucked out and aren't being double teamed somewhere.

Similarly, I try to mark WHM's and SCH's so that tanks and DPS can focus burn them ASAP. You can take out a group that's larger than yourself if you take out their healers but your own are still intact.

WolvenOne

Nah man, I've been in groups where the middle was hardly touched, and we still steamrolled through the opposition. Holding bases is more important. If you can get four bases and hold them for even a minute or so, you'll likely end up with a lead that'll be hard to overcome.

The middle is basically a chance at bonus points. If you can utterly dominate those bonus points, while holding 2-3 bases consistently, you stand a good chance at winning. However you're more likely to either duke it out in the middle for bonus points, splitting the bonus, or the other teams will have put their efforts into capturing bases, in which case having one less alliance to reinforce things will make holding 2-3 bases consistently rather difficult. It's better to secure your bases, and only spare an alliance when Nodes and such are about to pop, assuming an alliance can be spared in the first place.

there any site that lists all the ilvl 50+ gear can be converted into materia? Never paid much attention to the loot gear in the high level/expert level dungeons, but maybe I should

WolvenOne

there any site that lists all the ilvl 50+ gear can be converted into materia? Never paid much attention to the loot gear in the high level/expert level dungeons, but maybe I should

At ilvl50+, I think only crafted gear can be converted. Which is really frustrating. :p

Yeah, I don't get the stragglers, especially since I outright tell them through the party chat to get back to the main group.

Anyhow, the strat I prefer is to briefly split three ways, then keep B on standby until we know which of the two peripheral bases are going to need reinforcements. One of the teams might need to briefly pull back to regroup, but it also leaves one group open to charge the center if you've lucked out and aren't being double teamed somewhere.

Similarly, I try to mark WHM's and SCH's so that tanks and DPS can focus burn them ASAP. You can take out a group that's larger than yourself if you take out their healers but your own are still intact.

Basically is the same, still deciding which outpost to zerg will give you the advantage of a surpise attack, if the other team has the zerg on another outpost...well, is a tie. Having B on standbye will give the other zerg team an advantage.

Still the deal is having a good lead to being able to hold only 2 or even 1 later on. Basically the zergs gets 4 bases and while the other teams are still recovering from losing pts you already have a nice lead.

Basically

WolvenOne

I wonder if Ninja's faster movement speed will translate to faster movements on mounts as well? If so, they may be invaluable as scouts.

WolvenOne

DISAPPOINTED.gif

Oh tell me about it. If there was even one set of i70+ gear that dropped AND was convertable, I'd be farming it a couple times a week. Spirit Bonding that would be far less frustrating that Spirit Bonding 49 gear and hoping that you'll get a Tier 4 that's actually worth something.

Isaccard

Nah man, I've been in groups where the middle was hardly touched, and we still steamrolled through the opposition. Holding bases is more important. If you can get four bases and hold them for even a minute or so, you'll likely end up with a lead that'll be hard to overcome.

The middle is basically a chance at bonus points. If you can utterly dominate those bonus points, while holding 2-3 bases consistently, you stand a good chance at winning. However you're more likely to either duke it out in the middle for bonus points, splitting the bonus, or the other teams will have put their efforts into capturing bases, in which case having one less alliance to reinforce things will make holding 2-3 bases consistently rather difficult. It's better to secure your bases, and only spare an alliance when Nodes and such are about to pop, assuming an alliance can be spared in the first place.

2 flags and mid control wins the game. Hardly meta, or room for diversity or improvement there

Bonus moment for rouge/ninja on mount is doubtful.

Sophia

2 flags and mid control wins the game. Hardly meta, or room for diversity or improvement there

Bonus moment for rouge/ninja on mount is doubtful.

What about when you run into that group that doesn't let you control mid? Or that group that realizes that you're pushing mid so hard that they can just group up and take bases right from under you?

What about when you run into that group that doesn't let you control mid? Or that group that realizes that you're pushing mid so hard that they can just group up and take bases right from under you?

In the first case they are probably losing bases so they're gonna loss.

In the second phase is mostly a matter of how te battle went in the first minutes, the key is zerging bases and get a nice lead in the beggining, so getting mid should be enough to win.

2 parties on middle and the other one grabbing and holding 1 or 2 bases and you won. If needed you can basculate a few people on middle and grab bases or hold them. There's no need to tay on middle 100% or sometimes is not really worth.

CLBridges

2.3 has been out for how long? I just did my first Elite hunts last night lol. Actually, I partied up and was able to down a few B ranks and two A ranks. I'm up to a grand total of like 50-something seals.

Since hunts are pretty much the dominant ¨combat¨ activity, figured I may as well jump in. It's pretty funny to be the first couple of people at an A rank and then 45 seconds later, you see 100 people running over the hill lol.

All of the GC leads had impressive fight scenes in 1.0
except for adders since they were too busy hugging trees

Raubahn had an equally badass scene.
http://youtu.be/NJT55T_nqss

Just looking through different scenes on youtube it seems that 1.0 had more "actual" cutscenes. I mean ones that use more interesting camera angles and animation.

Like I just looked at the Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah intro scenes and they look a lot better than what's in ARR, which are essentially riding with the almost same guy talking to you for the entire duration of the intro.

Just looking through different scenes on youtube it seems that 1.0 had more "actual" cutscenes. I mean ones that use more interesting camera angles and animation.

Like I just looked at the Limsa Lominsa and Ul'Dah intro scenes and they look a lot better than what's in ARR, which are essentially riding with the almost same guy talking to you for the entire duration of the intro.

Yeah, unlike ARR, 1.0 had some actual cutscenes that used motion capture. But don't let it fool you, after the initial ones there are very few CS with that quality, well basically mostly the last one of the main plot. ARR has way more cutscenes but not as high quality, but I actually like it like that, rather than teasing you will very well produced CS and leaving you in the dust for most of the game.

Yoshida explained that they had to find a compromise between well produced CS and time avaliable for new updates, basically they choose a quality they could keep in subsquent patches.

studyguy

Don't believe the hype.
We had like 3 nice looking cutscenes between hours and hours of ones way worse than ARR ones.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
2.3 has been out for how long? I just did my first Elite hunts last night lol. Actually, I partied up and was able to down a few B ranks and two A ranks. I'm up to a grand total of like 50-something seals.

Since hunts are pretty much the dominant ¨combat¨ activity, figured I may as well jump in. It's pretty funny to be the first couple of people at an A rank and then 45 seconds later, you see 100 people running over the hill lol.

A month now.

studyguy

You can do nothing but hunts and some Syrcus Tower and you will have enough gears to beat T9.

Not too different from T5 though, once they let you stack myth through CT and gave i80 gear. People were clearing T5 left and right who previously were lacking in gear. That just tends to be the Crystal side of the updates vs Coil updates. Curious as to the next Coil and what it'll bring. For all we know The Hunt rewards could become completely irrelevant come the next Coil update if they start offering EXTRA HIGH TOTALLY LEGIT ALLAGAN gear and a new tier of AF that have no use for sands or oil.

Jomjom

Banned
If you're going for your Novus, start saving up Materia and Gil now. You'll need Alexandrite, and you can get that via Myth, Expert Roulettes, or yes, Hunts. However even after getting all the Alexandrite you'll need, you'll need a ton of Materia as well.

Thankfully, Myth flows like rain right now.

What's the best way to get Myth now?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I just suddenly got an urge to get back into this game and am considering re-subscribing.

Was wondering if you guys think I should? Is the game in good shape? Last I played was right at the 'relaunch'. It was good but I got crazy busy (I still am, but I am making a little time for games).

Anything change since I last played? If I decide to resubscribe, are there any 'welcome back' bonuses I should be looking out for?

Ken

Of course Hunts will become totally irrelevant, game has a 6 months cycle. Rinse and repeat.

Like you said it's a cycle so hunts should be relevant again when the time comes. I can see them updating the seals vendors with new items relevant for the current ilevel at the time.

Talaysen

Sonova, they did a spring cleaning on the hunt LS on Excal and I was apparently part of the shell that got pruned. Ask for a new shell and they're all full. Guys pls. Gotta wait for Anas to make another new shell ffs. Got two bloody logs at least!

Crap, mine did too.

Got my Novus. Went cheap and skipped on tier 4s, but crit/det/acc is good on a bow anyway. I probably wouldn't be hitting the accuracy needed for second coil without that extra acc too.

Now to finish up my Bravura Animus and start on that Novus...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I'm impatient and just signed up again, heres hoping I didn't miss out any any bonus codes or such!

That being said, while my game patches the fuck out of itself, I think I am going to go through some guides and see what's changed since I last played.

Are there any chronological 'summaries' that show what's happened in the game over the last little while?

I still try to do dungeons for soldiery but the wait times can be pretty bad unless you roll as tank/healer and the dps are so derpy, I'd rather not heal them.

Ken

I still try to do dungeons for soldiery but the wait times can be pretty bad unless you roll as tank/healer and the dps are so derpy, I'd rather not heal them.

i thought you were a monk

melee dps still get nice Q times

That definitely sounds more fun than doing hunts.

it really depends on how you do hunts IMO. they're nice for days where you don't want to do any thinking or challenging content; you can shrink the FF screen so the hunt linkshell is visible and watch a movie or play a different game in between hunt shouts.

Do any level 50 content and the game just throws myth at you. Trial Roulette is a nice way to get some easily.

The issue with Myth is that you need 1,500 Myth per book and you need 9 books to upgrade Atma to Animus. That's 13,500 Myth total for one weapon upgrade. No sane person wants to run dungeons for 13,500 Myth, that's 270 Brayflox HM speedruns if you care to do the math.

Hence why Hunts are amazing for people like me who are still bothering with the Atma to Animus upgrade.

i thought you were a monk

melee dps still get nice Q times

it really depends on how you do hunts IMO. they're nice for days where you don't want to do any thinking or challenging content; you can shrink the FF screen so the hunt linkshell is visible and watch a movie or play a different game in between hunt shouts.

Only have BLM and WHM on my alt

Frumix

Suffering From Success
GG square
IrHxzld.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom