• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

Wow at how much less of a hassle it is to craft two star Cul mats as oppose to the other classes
It's not just two star, CUL in general is a hassle due to the crapload of various mats used. Good thing is a good chunk of the most used ones can be bought straight up from a vendor. I want my own personal Sahagin vendor in my personal room or housing when it comes.

I really wish you could craft meals in bulk though, making it use the same system as gear is silly since you go through so much more of it. Potions are same way but at least you get three at a time there.

It's not just two star, CUL in general is a hassle due to the crapload of various mats used. Good thing is a good chunk of the most used ones can be bought straight up from a vendor. I want my own personal Sahagin vendor in my personal room or housing when it comes.

I really wish you could craft meals in bulk though, making it use the same system as gear is silly since you go through so much more of it. Potions are same way but at least you get three at a time there.

umm I wasn't saying anything bad. They don't have that 347 crafting barrier for making base mats that you have to either spend seals on or get in dungeons. I know Lava Toad legs mats you can get form normal nodes and buy things at the guild. No where near a hassle. Way better than the other classes

aceface

Levi ex and Ultima HM are not that bad but that makes them fun with new people, you actually feel like you can win in a reasonable amount of time. They also have awesome music/settings. I love the boat slams on Levi.

iammeiam

Is there a site with a comprehensive fishing list? There's a lot of scattered data, but I can't find a list of star-level fish and their minimum stat requirements.

Got fisher to 50 this weekend, made the HQ AF set, then spent way too much on materia and still can't fish for silver sovereigns. Need to make money somehow, but most fish seem to be worthless. I did catch three of a two-star fish in Mor a Dhona while leveling, but I don't think they're used for anything do they're probably not worth selling.

Also, after a couple of unrelated conversations this weekend: Angary is a girl lala. Not a guy in a bra. That is all.

aceface

Is there a site with a comprehensive fishing list? There's a lot of scattered data, but I can't find a list of star-level fish and their minimum stat requirements.

Got fisher to 50 this weekend, made the HQ AF set, then spent way too much on materia and still can't fish for silver sovereigns. Need to make money somehow, but most fish seem to be worthless. I did catch three of a two-star fish in Mor a Dhona while leveling, but I don't think they're used for anything do they're probably not worth selling.

Also, after a couple of unrelated conversations this weekend: Angary is a girl lala. Not a guy in a bra. That is all.

The "Gary" in the name throws me off.

BadRNG

umm I wasn't saying anything bad. They don't have that 347 crafting barrier for making base mats that you have to either spend seals on or get in dungeons. I know Lava Toad legs mats you can get form normal nodes and buy things at the guild. No where near a hassle. Way better than the other classes
Wow I misread your post, missed the less part entirely. It only seems like less of a hassle before you realize you have to craft far more of the item, and while many mats can be bought there are a few that can't and need to be crafted yourself as an extra step (hello walnut bread). It's really time consuming to keep a good stock of food for progression raiding, even more so if you are making stuff for other people. I'd much prefer the one and done system gear has. And the difficulty of obtaining the mats varies, some use 1star gathering, some 2star, and one does use an old phil mat (cooking sherry).

Maybe if you meant "less expensive" per craft but it takes more time and a lot more inventory space so I can't see it as anything less than a bigger hassle. They actually backtracked on this with the 3star food as it all requires myth items too like other 3star crafts, another reason no one uses them.

This is best site I've found. It's in Japanese but there is a drop down in top right to turn the basic site English. Comments will still be in Japanese but they are easy to follow if you remember 獲得 is gathering, and rest you can google translate more or less if you are not sure on something.

Akira

Just played the trial on PC. The first MMO I played. Everyone's so damn nice compared to League of Legends. Is the community in normally XIV like this? And the game is beautiful! I think I might buy the game/sub.

Sophia

Just played the trial on PC. The first MMO I played. Everyone's so damn nice compared to League of Legends. Is the community in normally XIV like this? And the game is beautiful! I think I might buy the game/sub.

On average the community is extremely nice. You'll get your bad egg once in awhile, but this is the exception, not the norm.

Of course, it varies from server to server too.

fionel

Been playing the trial for a week now on Kujata. It's been 10 years since I quit my last MMO (FF11) and I see they streamlined so much stuff in 14 and made it a lot more user-friendly for people like me with time constraints. Really thought about buying it until I started using the duty finder for dungeons. Tried it for an hour on average every day for the last 4 days and it never found a single healer or tank for me. Are these two roles in such small numbers in general or is the duty finder sort of broken?

Pixels

Been playing the trial for a week now on Kujata. It's been 10 years since I quit my last MMO (FF11) and I see they streamlined so much stuff in 14 and made it a lot more user-friendly for people like me with time constraints. Really thought about buying it until I started using the duty finder for dungeons. Tried it for an hour on average every day for the last 4 days and it never found a single healer or tank for me. Are these two roles in such small numbers in general or is the duty finder sort of broken?

Eek I'm running in to this too.

elyetis

Did you think about selecting the 4 languages when you use the duty finder ?
It might be a server thing, and highly dependant of you timezone ( european on a mostly US serveur ? ) but my experience with the duty finder kept getting better, and currently leveling monk/dps I never had more than 10 min queue time from lvl 15 to lvl 37.

People aren't really running those old dungeons except for the few new players and people doing atma books so the wait can be a long time...try to find a healer or tank friend

scy

Tried it for an hour on average every day for the last 4 days and it never found a single healer or tank for me. Are these two roles in such small numbers in general or is the duty finder sort of broken?

This is entirely why I rolled Gladiator :x

fionel

Did you think about selecting the 4 languages when you use the duty finder ?
It might be a server thing, and highly dependant of you timezone ( european on a mostly US serveur ? ) but my experience with the duty finder kept getting better, and currently leveling monk/dps I never had more than 10 min queue time from lvl 15 to lvl 37.

Oh I didn't know there was a language setting. Maybe I should give that a shot. Not sure if what the main demographic is on Kujata, but now come to think of it the server really doesn't seem all that crowded in my 15 hours of playtime.

fionel

People aren't really running those old dungeons except for the few new players and people doing atma books so the wait can be a long time...try to find a healer or tank friend

I did think maybe that was the reason, but I would imagine there was a healthy influx of new players brought in by the 2-week trial who would most likely made progress to the same point [/shrug]

Sophia

I did think maybe that was the reason, but I would imagine there was a healthy influx of new players brought in by the 2-week trial who would most likely made progress to the same point [/shrug]

Most new players speed past those pretty quickly, due to how fast leveling is. Plus, I imagine lots of them probably roll DPS over Tanks and Healers too.

I kind of wish this game had cross-server invites. I'd love to just be able to invite people anytime they need a tank or healer for instant queues.

ReaperXL7

Its interesting....I played PLD for the majority of my time with FFXIV up to about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago when I switched to SMN and I would argue that the game is in many ways much harder for DPS then it is for tanks. I most cases the only mechanics you have to contend with as a tank is big hits from bosses and the occasional add pull. It wasn't until playing SMN that I realized how demanding some of the fight mechanics can be during many of these fights.

I did Levi EX for the first time last night also....I really need to practice dodging. The videos dont make it look to bad, but when your busy trying to throw up dots,, help heal, rez, and dodge all at the same time it takes some getting used to.

I am still looking to book a hotel if anyone else is still looking. Closer to the event lets make a group me or something so we can all stay in touch/meet up at the event or after.

I booked 2 nights at the LV Hotel (where EVO was held) for like 89 a night. Rio is too expensive, and I'll have a car so getting there and back will be easy. Las Vegas has free valet parking at every hotel, too (they want you to gamble so they do what they can to get you in the doors), so won't have to worry about scrambling for parking. If you live in SoCal and want to carpool, let me know - I can hold 3 other people. I just ask for people to chip in on gas (on fill up each way, roughly 40-45 bucks each fill up).

Right now, I'm just waiting on info for press tickets. I passed up using my code to get tickets earlier since press tickets will be free, so as soon as Square Enix confirms I get a press badge, I'm all good. Gonna bring my PC to play at night, too, just in case.

As for the meetup, Friday is technically "registration day" according to the site. I'd suggest maybe Friday night being the meetup unless there are actual events happening then.

SCH is the best and most fun class in the game due to the versatility and stuff you have to manage. (No 1-2-3 macro like DPS have and you aren't a healbot like WHM)

SCH can obviously stay in cleric for like entire raids because of their pets, but being able to quickly change back and forth between Cleric/DPS and heals I think makes WHM a bit more active sometimes, it's just like 95% of the content does not require that level of play. Even on LL dungeons, you can play that aggressive, but people prefer to be lazy. I only think SCH is more complicated because I didn't play SCH seriously until 3 months ago, and even then I haven't had to push it in terms of being a part of the DPS in anything (gotten by mostly just being heals and no DPS, even on SCoB).

Robin64

During my levelling up and going in to the various mandatory dungeons, no wait has been over 10 minutes for me. I guess I'm really lucky? (I'm Lancer/Dragoon)

Just about to hit Titan for the first time ever. Pretty excited!

Ken

During my levelling up and going in to the various mandatory dungeons, no wait has been over 10 minutes for me. I guess I'm really lucky? (I'm Lancer/Dragoon)

Just about to hit Titan for the first time ever. Pretty excited!

melee dps have shorter queues than ranged dps

Seriously, Ultros character creation STILL not open despite it being open according to SE? Been trying like every 20 mins here. Does Ultros usually fill up ASAP when it opens up?

Edit: Oh wait, I have to pay more to make another character on the same server, right? Forget that. Oh well, was going to make an ALT to try helping out with other coil statics since I want to do more coil in general.

Ken

Seriously, Ultros character creation STILL not open despite it being open according to SE? Been trying like every 20 mins here. Does Ultros usually fill up ASAP when it opens up?

Edit: Oh wait, I have to pay more to make another character on the same server, right? Forget that. Oh well, was going to make an ALT to try helping out with other coil statics since I want to do more coil in general.

are you doing the budget subscription?

How's monk in end game pvp/pve?

I heard titan doesn't like melee dps.

Trying to decide if i wanna level up to Monk next or Dragoon next.

which one is more OP?

Sophia

SCH can obviously stay in cleric for like entire raids because of their pets, but being able to quickly change back and forth between Cleric/DPS and heals I think makes WHM a bit more active sometimes, it's just like 95% of the content does not require that level of play. Even on LL dungeons, you can play that aggressive, but people prefer to be lazy. I only think SCH is more complicated because I didn't play SCH seriously until 3 months ago, and even then I haven't had to push it in terms of being a part of the DPS in anything (gotten by mostly just being heals and no DPS, even on SCoB).

It's not just because of the pet. Some of the best Scholar abilities (Pet Embrace, Lustrate, Whispering Dawn, Eye for an Eye, Sacred Soil) are not affected by Cleric Stance. Which makes a Scholar who can do both insanely powerful.

How's monk in end game pvp/pve?

I heard titan doesn't like melee dps.

Trying to decide if i wanna level up to Monk next or Dragoon next.

which one is more OP?

Titan really doesn't like anyone, so don't make that a factor. As for Monk and Dragoon..... Dragoons have a bit of a stigma around them due to bad players, and Monks have a stigma of being slightly harder. However a good player of either job is very much welcomed at endgame. Monks are stance based and slightly more positional, which gives them a slightly harder initial learning curve.

Both are excellent in PvP for the point of harassing healers and casters.

Sophia

dragoons have a stigma? impossible.

I was in a Leviathan EX party once where one of the Dragoons didn't know you could back attack the tail. It was kind of funny watching the player get their mind blown when everyone informed them that the tail does count as Levi's back. >_>

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I was in a Leviathan EX party once where one of the Dragoons didn't know you could back attack the tail. It was kind of funny watching the player get their mind blown when everyone informed them that the tail does count as Levi's back. >_>

I've seen DRGs and MNKs in Hullbreaker/ST who didn't know you can back-attack the tentacles/meteor summoning balls from any angle you want. No-one pays attention to the poor target markers.

Sophia

I've seen DRGs and MNKs in Hullbreaker/ST who didn't know you can back-attack the tentacles/meteor summoning balls from any angle you want. No-one pays attention to the poor target markers.

More then that, I don't think people understand them. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in game how the indicator below the enemy shows the flank/backside.

Reknoc

More then that, I don't think people understand them. I don't think it's mentioned anywhere in game how the indicator below the enemy shows the flank/backside.

It doesn't help that it's obscured a fair amount of the time, but I really don't think that it needs to be explained. As long as you have eyes you should be able to see that the pointy bit always lines up with the face while fighting babee mobs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wow, we actually wiped to an S rank.
Mahisha spawned deep in the mines in the narrowest tunnel possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom